Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Thx John, but the links didn't appear to come across, at least for me........can others see/click on?

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
Originally Posted By: CountryTrash
Even though many moan about its clunkiness I am still amazed at the sheer brilliance of what it actually achieves for ME.

Well, there are way too many people who prefer the shine over the funtionality. wink

Why not strive for both? Lots of products deliver both!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
Well, there are way too many people who prefer the shine over the funtionality. wink

Well, of course Captain Obvious (just getting into the mood here <grin>).

Salesmanship 101: "Sell the sizzle not the steak."

Joe5, there was a pretty famous user here named Harvey Gerst but he hasn't posted in a while. He's famous enough you can Google him. He's a big time recording engineer and studio owner. He uses Biab all the time to add tracks for clients who've used up their budget for studio time.

Mixing live players with some Biab tracks is probably the best way to produce an original song for distribution. But there are folks here who've done it with all Biab tracks.

And yes you MUST get into Real Band at the same time you're learning Biab 2016. Don't overlook it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
there was a pretty famous user here named Harvey Gerst but he hasn't posted in a while.

As I recall, Harvey Gerst produced some of Buffalo Springfield's work.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Thx John, but the links didn't appear to come across, at least for me

They're just YouTube videos. Where are you, because Noel indicated he could view them (from Australia).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
John, I certainly had no problem with the links either.

Maybe the O/P has restricted access to YouTube. I wonder where from.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
C
Expert
Expert
C
I tried Realband the first time it came up, years ago. I was (and still am) using Reaper flawlessly, but I really tried to learn RealBand because the idea of combining a DAW with BIAB functions seemed fantastic to me. But after some experimentation with the program, I just gave up, because it was extremely slow and buggy.

A couple of years (and versions) later, I tried again: the idea was still fantastic, and after all I had only tried the first version, so supposedly the program should be much more solid now. Unfortunately, RealBand still was extremely unstable on my system (a system, btw that runs all kind of audio software without any problems).

After reading this thread, I've just installed v2016 (build 9) on my system, to give RB a third chance. After installing the program, the first thing I literally did was pressing on the "Style" button. Guess what? The program just freezed, and the only way to restart it was closing it through the Windows Task Manager.

Uninstalling the program now...

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry Cerio but you seem to have no idea how to set it up or how RB works. Read the docs and watch the YT videos.

At some point when you do NOT SEE tons of posts here from folks with the same problems as you have, it's time to look in the mirror and just figure it out...

Look at my sig, I have the same computer you do except I have 16 gigs of ram which shouldn't matter. No program is perfect but I've been using RB since the first day it was released and so have many, many (did I say many as in a whole lot?) of other users here.

It's on you. If you're serious open a thread on the RB forum, explain what you've been doing and what your RB config windows look like and we'll get you going.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I find RealBand to be slow and buggy too! Tried using a mirror but it was still slow and buggy! smile I cannot imagine trying to use it for actual production. It has not frozen on me but then all I use is for it to generate RealTracks when I can't get what I want from BIAB.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 08/18/16 10:27 AM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"I tried Realband the first time it came up, years ago. I was (and still am) using Reaper flawlessly"

That's it RealBand's great when it's working but when you say it needs a rewrite in a new language out come the knives, so you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I got endless attacks from stating the bleeding obvious, it's like being in a time warp in a hidden corner of the internet.
The bugs, errors and unfixed problems keep on for years and years, and the "Expert Programmers" come on here and say the "the old Delphi program from the DOS days is fine, you are crazy, deranged, let's stick with it for another 50 years".

RealBand should work flawlessly, I see so many user put off because it don't.

As you say Reaper don't have all these problems, why ? is it a baffling mystery ? really ?

"They would not listen, they're not listening still
Perhaps they never will"

J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
John, I certainly had no problem with the links either.

Maybe the O/P has restricted access to YouTube. I wonder where from.
I'm at work and they seem fine. Weird. At home they looked like these rectangular black boxes and nothing to click on. #$# gremlins. Will try again tonight

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

As you say Reaper don't have all these problems, why ? is it a baffling mystery ? really ?

smile

Veteran
Veteran
FWIW When RB launches, it does a bunch of behind the scenes stuff before it is ready.
I always watch the CPU meter in RB in upper right.
Once it settles down after a few seconds it's good to go. These few seconds are well worth it to me.

The initial launch after an install takes even longer, as RB is building some files, checking Realtrack locations, style locations (which are often different) creating a few config changes and doing a small test.

You may get a pop up saying RB can't find the realtracks, etc.
When RB first looks like it is ready, it isn't.
They should add a spin icon, or somehow indicate to 'hold on a sec' before clicking stuff.

You may have launched stylepicker while RB was still checking if it knew where the styles were or something ..
This is one of the GUI things that few talk about but is important. More than the shiny mixer stuff ...

Only other thing i can think of is, on first launch of stylepicker you should get a flashing Flash message about the style list getting built.
Did you see the yellow box? If not my above scenario seems even more likely. If so, this can take a bit. And if you click around and change the focus, the stylepicker may end up popping up behind the main screen, which creates a situation where you appear to not be able to click on anything and in reality RB is waiting on a response from you, but the window needing the response is hidden behind the main screen.
I've seen people do this more than once.
Patience, especially first launch until everything gets built.

Luanch RB
Wait 10 seconds after it launches, look at the CPU readings in upper right.
If RB says 0% and the total CPU use looks pretty stable and low; it's probably ready.

Last edited by rharv; 08/18/16 01:31 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
C
Expert
Expert
C

Exactly. A DAW should be, first and foremost, fast and rock solid, and RB isn't. This is obvious for anybody with some professional experience in studios (or at least, some familiarity with modern DAWs), but sometimes the forum is too much "fan oriented", and saying certain things that are obvious to everybody else (out of the forum) is just too much politically incorrect here.

Last edited by Cerio; 08/18/16 05:47 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
The bugs, errors and unfixed problems keep on for years and years, and the "Expert Programmers" come on here and say the "the old Delphi program from the DOS days is fine, you are crazy, deranged, let's stick with it for another 50 years"...

Pipeline, you really need to settle down and stick to facts.

I did a search for the words 'deranged' and '50 years' in the past 12 months, and the only time those words were used on this subject matter were in comments made by you.

You mentioned 'deranged' in your post suggesting to close the thread. But you keep coming back to the topic. As has been said by others, the choice of Language is not the issue, and no one is programming any of this with a DOS version of Borland Pascal. I know that and you know that too.

Everybody wants continual improvements - nobody commented otherwise. But you need to be accurate in your statements. None of what you said above is true.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: rharv
FWIW When RB launches, it does a bunch of behind the scenes stuff before it is ready.
I always watch the CPU meter in RB in upper right.
Once it settles down after a few seconds it's good to go. These few seconds are well worth it to me.

The initial launch after an install takes even longer, as RB is building some files, checking Realtrack locations, style locations (which are often different) creating a few config changes and doing a small test.

You may get a pop up saying RB can't find the realtracks, etc.
When RB first looks like it is ready, it isn't.
They should add a spin icon, or somehow indicate to 'hold on a sec' before clicking stuff.

You may have launched stylepicker while RB was still checking if it knew where the styles were or something ..
This is one of the GUI things that few talk about but is important. More than the shiny mixer stuff ...

Only other thing i can think of is, on first launch of stylepicker you should get a flashing Flash message about the style list getting built.
Did you see the yellow box? If not my above scenario seems even more likely. If so, this can take a bit. And if you click around and change the focus, the stylepicker may end up popping up behind the main screen, which creates a situation where you appear to not be able to click on anything and in reality RB is waiting on a response from you, but the window needing the response is hidden behind the main screen.
I've seen people do this more than once.
Patience, especially first launch until everything gets built.

Luanch RB
Wait 10 seconds after it launches, look at the CPU readings in upper right.
If RB says 0% and the total CPU use looks pretty stable and low; it's probably ready.

Thanks for the hints, Rharv, probably I will try the program again in the next days. It's only that the first impression after a few years wasn't exactly impressive...

Last edited by Cerio; 08/18/16 06:06 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
Veteran
Cerio,

When you run Realband, also try right-clicking on the shortcut and set the properties so that the program runs as administrator. I've done that since I first installed it years ago and it's always worked fine.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Thanks for the hints, Rharv, probably I will try the program again in the next days. It's only that the first impression after a few years wasn't exactly brilliant to me."

Make sure you have the latest bb427, I have RB on another pc and the stylepicker would not come up after bbw2 opened, but after updating bb to 427 it worked.

"Pipeline, you really need to settle down and stick to facts."

100% accurate, read between the lines.

I know the story sooooooo well.

As said earlier it is Fan based, protective culture, tonne of bricks scenario.

You would not want to come up with an idea like a new GUI and they all do the protective culture, tonne of brick scenario "That ain't never gonna happen !" frown ?

You need to aim a bit higher don't limit yourself to others limits, look at all the "That ain't never gonna happen !" ?
Do you yourself think now that it ain't never gonna happen ?

Knocking things is easy, coming up with ideas, solutions and encouragement would be better.
Maybe it's why the software is still where it is because those that speak out for the good of the product are put down by the fans, feel they are fighting a loosing battle and give up and leave.

Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline
Please unblock your PM setting (even if only temporary) and we'll discuss this at a gentleman's level in more detail off site. In many ways you actually don't know exactly how much I agree with you, and certainly support your intentions.
If you do unblock, send me a PM and I'll reply.
(Peace)
Trevor

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Cerio

Exactly. A DAW should be, first and foremost, fast and rock solid, and RB isn't. This is obvious for anybody with some professional experience in studios (or at least, some familiarity with modern DAWs), but sometimes the forum is too much "fan oriented", and saying certain things that are obvious to everybody else (out of the forum) is just too much politically incorrect here.

Any software should be fast and rock solid. But today's culture often prohibits this. Sometimes it seems that a large portion of our population craves for green bananas. Many users here have grown accoustomed to some of the perceived inconveniences. It is not that we like them, but the conveniences outweigh them. The vast majority of the regular forumites is friendly, helpful and positive. And we all want the software to improve. There are many fields where improvement would be welcomed openly.

When it comes to "fast", most modern programming environments contradict "fast" in the first place. There is too much overhead created that makes programs large ("They load slower") and the computer has to administer too much in its working memory ("They run slower"). Most of today's programs are snails compared to the programs of the 70s and 80s. Only today's computers are so fast that these facts seem not to be existent. (The current version of Excel wouldn't even fit on my harddisk of the 80s that had the then breathtaking size of 30 MB and did cost a fortune. And at 25 MHz processor speed this thing would take forever to load -- neglecting for a moment that it was a 16 bit processor and here I'm taking a 64 bit software as a role model.)

As rharv said, RB is more than just a DAW. Look at RB as a close cousin of BIAB that wants to behave like a DAW. If you don't have a DAW, RB will happily jump in as a substitute.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195