Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#361239 08/16/16 02:16 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4450/q5pbus6n_png.htm

I´ve tried to learn the repeat function in biab but its driving me nuts.
Lets say I have the country roads chords (please see picture)

| G - Em - D - C - G | this should repeat 2x

the first time biab play the chords, the second repeat it plays only G - G - G - G - G

why no chord changes in the second repeat?

Thank you for your help
Cheers
Bert

Die Erde trägt das Leben, der Bass trägt die Musik.
Veteran
Veteran
Bert,

About 2/3rds the way through THIS THREAD (link), I explain how to set up repeats and give an example that can be downloaded.

The important thing to keep in mind with repeats is that they are are a function designed to be used with the leadsheet and music notation. From a chordsheet perspective, you'll find it much easier simply to layout the song from start for end instead of trying to use repeats.

Rather than using repeats, it's significantly quicker to use 'copy and paste' to copy chords from one section of the chord sheet to another when building a song.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Using an older version (08) but repeats driving me nuts as well. When I make changes, they don't save....also, when I select "Delete All" (in Repeats window).....nothing happens. mad

Oh and yes, I did go to the ol F1 help stuff and found that I can to go "preferences/display" to turn off repeats (oh yeah, that's intuitive......not)......and it said this will kick in when the next song is loaded. It lied. The good ol 3x repeat is still at the bottom right like a demon from hell, lol. Any clues for this older version not expected but appreciated.

OP Offline
Thanks for your help.
I did it step by step entering the chords or the whole song without repeats, endings, coda,... and it sounds ok.

But now there occur 2 new problems :-)

1) its totally looking confused now. Is there a way to get the blue or green part markers to the left side?

2) The ending drives me mad. Messed around 1 hour with the ending and its still not working. BIAB plays the last chord as D, but I entered G ? sounds weird - how is this possible.

here is a link to a screenshot:
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31479296/endingproblem.png.html

BIAB should urgently improve the workflow and 1000 other things. This is no fun working with this confused user unfriendly program.

Thank you for help
Bert

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Bert.

Thanks for the image. It helps a great deal>

Firstly, the ending.

BIAB does not see the G chord in bar 62. The last chord that a user can enter is in bar 61. This is because the last two bars of a song are reserved by BIAB to automatically generate an ending.

If the chord in bar 61 needs to be D then you need to increase your song length by 1 bar. To do this, set the "end" setting (up near the tempo) to 61 rather than 60. This will make the last bar of your song 63. Now type G in bar 62 and BIAB will automatically create a 2-bar ending across bars 62 and 63.

Secondly, blue and green part markers.

Right-click on the chord sheet and select "Display Options".

Now make sure that the "New line for every section" option is selected (part markers define sections). This is to the left of the ** on the below image. (Also, it might pay to set the "Min section" to 1 rather than 2 as shown.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bert,

Quote:
BIAB should urgently improve the workflow and 1000 other things. This is no fun working with this confused user unfriendly program.

Have you had a look at the videos at the below link? These will help you understand the program a great deal.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bert Do take a look at the videos that Noel suggested.

BiaB is feature-rich. That might make it seem daunting initially, but take your time and ask questions if necessary. There are plenty of good people here that will help.

Everything's easy once you know how wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
When I first started, the repeats were totally confusing to me. Now, here I am a good seven or so years into using BB and I'm still totally confused by them.

However..... way back at the beginning, I discovered that I could UNFOLD the song from the default mandatory repeats into one longer, but totally linear and understandable song project.

So I use the UNFOLD function on every song. Now, if I need a repeat, I copy and paste the verse and I got the repeat BUT.... it stays in a linear form.... keeps moving forward one measure at a time. I change the blue markers to green and back if needed, add what I need, work on endings and intros as needed.... life is good and things are simple in the UNFOLDED world.

Of course, feel free to ignore this and learn how to work the repeats and coda's and all that other stuff if you wish.....I'll be over here UNFOLDING.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Suggestion:
Login in (or create) to YouTube, there you can make playlists. BIAB videos offers a choice to view it on YouTube.

Easier than constantly locating such videos on PGM, viewing, come back again at a later time and repeat (pun intended), the process again.

Save your video finds on YouTube playlist.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,
Thanks mate. I've copied your stuff/tutorial re repeats - you know your onions!

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad it was useful, Ray!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
Guitarhacker, I also use the unfold quite often. It makes the life more easy

Noel, thank you very much for your help!
I changed the display options as you said, but then the next problem occur. when I export the file as video, only the first half of the chords are displayed.
now changed to the default settings again and all chords are displayed correctly. however the blue and green part markers still not on the left side and all looks messed up, but I can live with that.
Im guitar teacher in Vienna and this vids are for my pupils. Its cool when they can playalong with the song and dont mess up the chords :-)

also thanks for the help with the ending, its much better now

here is the link:
https://youtu.be/hgqKOG05cY4

OP Offline
Videotrack, thanks for your encouraging words smile
I really appreciate the help from you guys. as rayc already said - you know your onions!

Veteran
Veteran
Bert,

I apologise. It seems that I only know half my onions smile

REGARDING PART MARKERS
There are two settings that need to be activated to have the part markers on the left of the screen. I forgot to mention the second one. These settings are...

(a) The one I previously mentioned under "Display Options". (This is one is the global setting.)

(b) There is also a setting found under "Song Settings". (This is the one that can be turned on and off for each song.)

Right-click on the Chord Sheet and select 'Song Settings'. Now make sure the "Sections on a new line" option is selected as shown below by the blue rectangle.

REGARDING THE VIDEO
The problem you describe is one that I have previously reported to PG Music's Support team. In the mean time, you can get the other pages of chords to show on the video by activating "Scroll Ahead" as shown below.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DEddy
Suggestion:
Login in (or create) to YouTube, there you can make playlists. BIAB videos offers a choice to view it on YouTube.

Easier than constantly locating such videos on PGM, viewing, come back again at a later time and repeat (pun intended), the process again.

Save your video finds on YouTube playlist.

DE

That's a great idea, DE. It makes it much easier to keep track of what's been watched, etc.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Originally Posted By: joe5
Using an older version (08) but repeats driving me nuts as well.

The good ol 3x repeat is still at the bottom right like a demon from hell, lol. Any clues for this older version not expected but appreciated.

The trouble is there are (at least) two ways of getting repeats. The x3 marker you are seeing is because you have the "number of choruses" set to 3. This is nothing to do with repeats in the Edit->Song Form menu, this is in addition.

Just click on the "Choruses" button and set it to 1. Then the x3 marker will disappear.

HTH

Andy

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Thx! Will give a go when I get home.

Originally Posted By: Bertisevil66
Guitarhacker, I also use the unfold quite often. It makes the life more easy
I have quickly become convinced that having all the chords laid out beats the ( ) out of playing patty-cake with repeats etc. Good tip GH. smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199