Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi rharv, thanks for the tips. They are very helpful. I will definitely be coming back to this thread to reread things. I think I will have my jam organizing computer programming finished by Thursday and will start looking at this tascam Mixing board immediately after that. Even if the jams start and I am not up to speed on recording yet the new mixer will solve the dirty pots problems my old mixers have.

When you say "regenerate" I figure you mean "regenerate BIAB tracks maybe in a new style or just to have perfect freshly generated sound".

Originally Posted By: rharv

you'll need to cut 2 seconds off of each live audio track so it lines up with the BiaB file.

I was wondering how you line the tracks up. I assume from your comment above the answer is by cutting bits off the front of the track.

I asked my friend how I redirect the computer output to USB for the mixing board and he told me where to do it (what dialog box it shows on). I could not find it because I don't have any USB drivers on my BIAB. I am assuming that when I buy a USB audio device it installs the USB drivers on the computer and BIAB manages to automatically detect them and list them in its dialog box.

Last edited by bowlesj; 08/14/16 02:18 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you should get a USB driver with the unit. You may want to check the manufacturers site for any new drivers for improvements/fixes.

Yes, I did meant to trim the front of the file to get them to line up.
It is easy to see in the audio editor. Since the generated song will start at 1-1-0 you would cut from 1-1-0 to the first note in your recorded tracks.
There is an undo feature, so I would experiment with the first one to get it right, then use the same setting for the rest (by highliting the desired tracks and cutting all at once), that way all imported tracks stay lined up together and it saves time in the long run.
The important part with using Cut (and really all of the Edit options) is paying attention to the check boxes that show up. In your case you would want to enable 'Close Gap' so it moves the tracks to close the resulting gap, and also disable the Chords box so you don't inadvertently cut your chords out.

As for generating; that is your call and can't be made until after the session is done.
Who knows? You may want to add a Brent Mason guitar solo, or some background sax licks .. whatever. In RB you can highlite any given section of a track and generate any RealTraack you want.
You can also use the Multiriff feature to generate multiple takes at the same time so you have some to pick through.
Lots of options.

One last tip; there is a setting in RB under Options menu at the top.
It defaults to 120 like BiaB uses.
I suggest setting this to 1920 or 3840 for audio editing. It allows much finer audio edits, meaner more accurate Cuts, etc.

Last edited by rharv; 08/14/16 02:48 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
One last tip; there is a setting in RB under Options menu at the top.
It defaults to 120 like BiaB uses.
I suggest setting this to 1920 or 3840 for audio editing. It allows much finer audio edits, meaner more accurate Cuts, etc.

Huh? 120 is bpm. What is 1920 or 3840? Pulses per quarter note?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Eddie. It's audio editing resolution for the audio editor. It's found in the 'Options' menu in the top toolbar.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/14/16 09:33 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, my bad.
The setting is Resolution, under Options menu.

This sets how many times each PPQ gets divided.
120 BPM with 120 Resolution is MUCH grainier than 120 BPM with 3840 Resolution.

At 120 BPM the 120 resolution equates to about 4 ms (if my math is correct)
At 120 BPM and 3840 resolution it equates to about 0.13 ms using the same math.

I'm tired so math be not be 100% but I think you get the idea.
Point is; even audio edits in PGMusic products are done using MIDI time slices, so using the highest resolution available enables more accuracy (over time).

It's another thing RB has over BiaB. Resolution of 3840(option) vs 120 (no options).
It may be one of the things that makes BiaB faster for generating new stuff, but the option for the accuracy improvement should be noted. It has made a big difference here (eliminating pops/clicks in edits, etc)

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi rhave, Thanks for the extra tips. John

Last edited by bowlesj; 08/14/16 10:27 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi guys, I am looking at the pdf manual for the Tascam PD-24 to see if it has any mic attenuation to reduce the signal coming in. I searched the pdf for reduce and attenu with no luck finding anything. I am wondering if anyone knows if it does and how well it works. The reason is my old Teac Tascam Model-2 board has 10 db of mic attenuation and I use this on any instrument such as (guitar, piano, bass) coming directly into the 1/4 inch phono input (it has 6 inputs all with attenuation). Even with it turned on to reduce the signal I still have to turn the guitar down so it does not distort. Once turned down it works fine. The old Tascam Model 5A I owned actually had 10db and 20db of attenuation. It was even better.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 08/22/16 11:52 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Hi guys, I am looking at the pdf manual for the Tascam PD-24 to see if it has any mic attenuation to reduce the signal coming in. I searched the pdf for reduce and attenu with no luck finding anything. I am wondering if anyone knows if it does and how well it works. The reason is my old Teac Tascam Model-2 board has 10 db of mic attenuation and I use this on any instrument such as (guitar, piano, bass) coming directly into the 1/4 inch phono input (it has 6 inputs all with attenuation). Even with it turned on to reduce the signal I still have to turn the guitar down so it does not distort. Once turned down it works fine. The old Tascam Model 5A I owned actually had 10db and 20db of attenuation. It was even better.

Thanks,
John

The eighth input ( H ) is switched. It can be line in or DI for guitar or bass. I've never had any issue using it for guitar/bass input.

A regular DI box can be used on any input.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Charlie, so if I understand correctly it only has one input which is switched as opposed to my old boards which have/had every input switched for (mic, mic-atten, line). If that is correct I am surprised they took it out of every input. I will need it for 1 to 5 inputs (typically 3). Very rarely 6 but it could happen. Maybe I need to keep my old board because plugging extra stuff in does not appeal to me much.

On another thread of a totally different topic I mentioned what I was doing with BIAB and JazzMammal recommended I use real-band. At the same time he suggested this mixing board might be a good one (maybe since it seems to have the switching for all inputs as I just found out).
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SOUSIG12MTK?siid=174025&-YziFDS-0-L64hWw1FpnK-fV3ohla56OA3q8e40xoCtW7w_wcB=
Extracted from the ad:
The consoles offer XLR and switchable Hi-Z inputs that enable guitars, basses and other instruments to be directly connected.

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 08/23/16 02:05 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
John. I looked at the specs for that board and it has two Hi-z channels and you will also need to have a DAW to record into. It serves as a better mixer than the Tascam DP-24 because it is a true mixer whereas the Tascam is primarily a digital recorder with very limited features to use it in a live gig as a mixer.

A good compromise between the SoundCraft and Tascam are two multitrack models offered by Behringer.

The UGX1204 and the UFX1604.

The UFX1204 is priced the same as the SoundCraft and Tascam. The UFX1204 has 4 inputs which will work in most of your situations since you use three inputs. The UFX1604 has 8 inputs. Both units have 2 hi-z inputs. The UFX1204 will record 12 tracks to a USB Thumb drive and the UFX1604 will record 16 tracks to a USB thumb drive. Both of these units will also record through USB/Firewire to a DAW.

The UFX1604 prices at $599 USD but is a true mixer with built in effects and is probably all around more suited for your needs than the Tascam or Soundcraft in my opinion.

Behringer UFX1204

Behringer UFX1604

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Charlie, pointing out those other boards is especially helpful.

I looked over the Behringer UFX1604 and it appears to be as close to what I am looking for as I will likely find. As far as only having two hi-z inputs goes I read that if we plug bass, guitar and keyboards into the regular 1/4 inch plugs which do not have hi-z we lose some highs. So I would plug the bass guitar into a regular input and the guitar and piano into the hi-z. If another guitar player plugged in he would have to use the regular input. However on the positive side, these are jazz jams so I probably won't find anyone complaining about it (jazz players usually trim off the highs anyway). It says it supports Windows XP and 7. I am running Win 10 but that probably does not matter since I would be recording to a USB stick then shipping it into Real Band. As far as attenuation goes if they advertize plugging guitars directly in I am sure they have that covered.

Sweetwater provides great pictures where you can zoom in to clearly see things. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UFX1604

Some useful English videos on the Behringer UFX1604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-B1VTMokcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw61qfKqsSo

For anyone reading this who still might be interested in the soundcraft signature MTK series.
I was curious about the Soundcraft so I went searching. With the great sweetwater pictures I can see that the 12MTK has the two hi-z inputs while the 22MTK does have four hi-z inputs.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig22MT
With the 22MTK there is DBX clipping on two of the four with hi-z and dbx clipping on 6 others which do not have hi-z.

Last edited by bowlesj; 08/24/16 07:31 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John, it's been some weeks now and I'm curious what you wound up with and how it's working out for you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Bob, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I did not have my profile set up properly at the time you posted and I did not get an email notice of your post. I fixed that later.

To get to your question, I just last week (Nov 10th) got the Behringer UFX1604.
Earlier this week I learned to use it as a P.A. mixer and it works great. In preparation to learn to record the 16 tracks, last night I bought a Seagate 3 terabyte USB drive which has an external AC adapter. The manual for the mixing board recommended this over using both (a thumb drive) and (a usb drive powered by the USB port). I guess the idea is they want the USB port totally dedicated to recording so it can properly record all 16 tracks at the same time. The mixing board give you a disk drive error (wrong file format) because it wants you to format as FAT (File Allocation Table) rather than NFS (Network File System). Once you format the disk drive with the mixer to the new format it works fine. So with the mixer I just recorded part of a song to the new Seagate drive. It creates a new folder for each song. The first song would be given the name Rec_01 (that is the only folder I have now since it is my test song). Within that folder it has created wav files for each channel of the mixer. So I currently have (BIAB in the wav file called Chan_15.wav) and (my guitar in the wav file called Chan_13.wav). Now I am trying to figure out how to mix them with real band. Being an absolute beginner with Real Band I am totally lost. Currently I can open them up as separate files and get them to play and that is about it. I can see the signal of the file I just opened when I click the Tracks button in Real Band. I came to the forum hoping someone could direct me to a video or tutorial to get me started on the basics of pulling in these files side by side in the tracks view and mixing them.

UPDATE: Just did a google search "how to read multiple wav files into real band" and I found this thread.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=153266
So maybe (I need to do an import rather than an open) to get all my tracks in side by side for mixing??????
Something to try tomorrow with fresh energy :-)

Thanks,
John

P.S.
If anyone on this forum ever gets this Behringer UFX1602 mixer they will find the manual's chapter on recording with it is very sparse to say the least. The recording part of the manual is okay but it does not properly tell you how to play back what you just recorded using the mixer. I personally don't think it is worth bothering to even try since it can't really play back all the tracks anyway. Regardless this Behringer forum thread has some information on how to do a little bit of playback to check that it actually did some recording. I gave up on it and decided to jump directly to learning how to play it back in real band.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/19/16 02:07 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try using Import Audio in RB to get each (previously saved) individual wave file to its own track.
Select a new track (highlight it) then Import each wave file to that track at (usually) 1-1-0 on the clock.

Highlight track, right-click on track info area and 'Import Wave File'
then make sure all imported tracks start at the same time (usually 1-1-0)

//I see you are on the path to success, cool ..

Last edited by rharv; 11/18/16 04:53 PM.

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi rharv, thanks so much. With your help I got the files imported.

With this start to get me going I managed to figure out

• how to adjust the volumes,
  • save the final mixed version as a .wav file,
  • delete bars from all tracks at the beginning and
  • clear out the unwanted BIAB count in.

I was pocking around looking at things, clicking buttons and reading. It looks like Real Band is all I will ever really need. My jams are scheduled to start December 4th. I will record every jam and will occasionally mix down a better song to put on soundcloud for a demo.

Thanks again for all your prior help to get me here with such a great mixing board. Thanks to Bob for pointing me in the direction of Real Band. It has been sitting on my computer with no use since 2012. It won't be lonely anymore :-)

John

P.S.
After doing some google searches, I was reading that you can drag and drop a .wav file from a windows folder into GarageBand so I tried it in Real band and it works. I first highlighted the track then I dragged with my mouse pointer over the description and it seems to have lined it up. I made sure the vertical line was at the start of the track too.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/19/16 10:39 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Glad to hear you've had success.
I have recorded a lot of multi-track sessions using RB/PT and enjoyed it a lot; hope you do too.
It's very capable when configured correctly.

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Sounds good.

For some reasons I don't get notices in my email for this thread even though I changed my preferences such that I was getting them on another thread I created about 2 or 3 weeks ago (different forum in this site). It must pick up those preference settings when I first start the thread. I have this thread marked as on my watch list but it still does not send them. I checked my gmail spam folder, social folder and promotions folder (no where to be found). So after a while coming into the forum to check for responses and seeing there are no responses I assume it is finished.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/19/16 01:11 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That Behringer UFX1604 is a good deal most of the one's I've seen around that price are just stereo out USB.
The direct to disk is a God sent.
I might look into that rather than going into a laptop and Reaper for live gigs, the only thing would of been good if it recorded midi direct to disk also, as I do midi drums and keys as well sometimes.

I would backup your files on the 3T FAT drive as the FAT is error prone.
I would of used a smaller hard drive to record to from the Behringer and then later transfer to the 3T as a NTFS drive.
Is it still showing size as 3T when you do a properties on it ?

You can highlight all the wav files in a folder and just drag straight into a RealBand track and it will load them all in separate tracks.

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Pipeline for the tip on dragging more than one file into Real Band for importing. I will give that a try. In my case I will be highlighting select wav files using the Ctrl key.

There is something to do with midi in the manual in the recording section but I don't think it will record to midi. I will go back and reread that page and update this post with the info or create a new one. I will also get back to you on the disk size showing in the properties.

The UFX1604 manual over all is pretty good for the simple stuff. It gets a bit confusing in the areas of special routing. For example I finally figured out that FW means fire wire and more specifically FW means the input from the computer or the disk drive but that also means USB input since the disk drive is USB. I suspect there is lots of YouTube help out there for it but in German. It never occurred to me to search for German forums and use a translator program (I am thinking you may be able to find these free on the web where you just highlight the text and it translates). However for my needs I don't see any need for any special routing.

I did a few more test recording to the disk yesterday. I left the first song on after moving the disk drive to the computer for Real Band testing and when I put the disk drive back in the mixing board the mixer was smart enough to create a second folder for a 2nd song. So Next I removed the songs from the drive with my desk top computer and the mixer this time was smart enough to create a new song starting as song number 1. It displays the song number on the little display. I am using Win 7 on my desktop. So for my use all I really needed to do was format to FAT then press record and when it is finished press stop. I see no need to test playback and I won't have time to do that anyway (I just trust it to work).

The other thing is channels 9 through 16 are actually pairs of stereo line level channels. So I have BIAB coming into channel 15 as mono and it gets duplicated on channel 16 on the disk drive. I will be feeding Keyboard into channel 9 as balanced and it too will get duplicated on channel 10 on the disk drive wav file.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/20/16 12:55 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you you need any more than 8 Pre Amps you can use a SM Pro Audio PR-8 8-Channel Mic Preamp or Nady PRA-8 Mic Preamp on the other 8 line inputs, the SM Pro has the multi input sockets XLR/Guitar/Mic.

Yes, the midi was for control to from the DAW - Mixer.
XENYX- How Do I Set Up The MIDI Transport Controls On My UFX1204 Or UFX1604?

I might be able to get a hardware midi recorder to use alongside it ?

Thanks for the info, I will check it out more tomorrow.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,166
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182