Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"it would be great if you can redesign the GUI. In this state it looks old-fashionned, more like a random collection of functions and is therefore not very productive.

There are great GUI designs out there (Cubase, ...) which you could imitate.
"

This goes way back (2008), users come in, see the problems, tell the truth to make it better, get attacked, give up and leave.
Where has it left the software ? stuck in the past !
It's an ingrained culture that has blocked the software from being ahead of the rest.
Far canal, I can see that clearly from 5,000 miles away !

GUI allow Customization of layout and SKINS
for the old users set in their ways and pg, scared change will loose the old users here and chapter 11:
Options > Skins > Classic Skin (Lots of Big Colorful Buttons with Names)
for the rest of the world that don't need big bitmaps, any Moveable Layout/Skin you like for 2017 !

But hey don't come hassling me get on over to the Reaper forum and put up the DOS BLOCKS there and get them to go backwards, they will love you for sure.

"Ring out the old
Ring in the new

Ring out the false
Ring in the true"

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This is funny that you might think we longtime users haven't commented on the GUI of BIAB before 2008. I can't prove it because you can't search that far back, but many of us were making suggestions long before the current forum software was installed in 2000.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
"it would be great if you can redesign the GUI. In this state it looks old-fashionned, more like a random collection of functions and is therefore not very productive.

Here's where we are really working from the same page. I've put a big effort into promoting ideas for changes that the UI desperately needs.

I won't pretend. It reeks of legacy DOS and still has some clumsy non-intuitive menus. From the sample concept I prepared, barely a word has been sent in reply from PGM Staff.

There's a time-warp thing happening here, and it's holding the product back.

This is not just my view. I can demonstrate other real-world statements that have been mentioned where sales are jeopardized because new and potential users are simply put off by the appearance.

Sometimes you have to be direct, because being blunt and direct is the best way to be. The product is great, and is being improved all of the time. The single feature that desperately needs attention is the UI.

Fresh new inspiration is seriously needed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
This is funny that you might think we longtime users haven't commented on the GUI of BIAB before 2008. I can't prove it because you can't search that far back, but many of us were making suggestions long before the current forum software was installed in 2000.

I am one of those longtime and vocal users that want a number of changes in BiaB. I think many of you know what they are wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And there has never been a cross word by Mario while making those suggestions. That's what I most admire.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Well, we did get one feature that made it less clumsy (which was a frequent request of mine): we don't have to type chords into a little box that is hard to see, much less harder to find, and not located close to the cell in which we wanted to enter the chord. smile

I personally don't care if the UI looks dated, per se, but do have issues with things that affect consistency and redundancy:

* if you want to see the Thru or Audio track on the mixer, then you have to extend the mixer down, and now get the ugly grey space between the mixer and the chord grid. Why not be able to see all the tracks in the mixer all the time, as well as the chord grid
* there shouldn't be a static mixer and a different floating mixer; there should be one mixer that is either docked or undocked.
* while there have been some menu improvements, need to do a lot more to remove redundancies. For example, the "File Menu" has "Save Song, "Save Song As...", and "Save Special". And then if you drill into "Save Special", you get (among other things) "Send to SoundCloud.com as .wav", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .wma", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .mp3", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .mp4", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .m4a". Couldn't we just have a single "Send to SoundCloud", and select the file format via a drop down filter box (like you get when you do a "File Open" to decide which kind of file you want to work with)
* we need a common look and feel between all the "pickers" and all the "lists"
* we need to be able to customize toolbars, as well as allow them to be docked or undocked.
* allow the toolbars to use large or small icons (that way, you can get all of them on the screen by using small icons)

Just a few examples, there are many more.

I don't care what the graphic pictures are or the screen layout, but it should be consistent across similar functions. I would think that would not be that difficult to achieve. I'm okay that the BIAB appearance is somewhat unique; so are the other the other major apps, when you get down to it. Sonar's Skylight interface is not like the other DAW interfaces, so different is okay, as far as I'm concerned.

But at lease make things consistent and remove/collapse the redundancies.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jr335 #362308 08/25/16 07:27 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: jr335
Sorry I was expecting to get jumped on for criticizing BIAB as usually happens here.....

He is only a Newbie , how dare he come here criticizing and not being nice, get rid of him !
4 Post, well it must of worked.

"as usually happens around here" Man that is still going on to this very Day !
Just think how good it could of been 8 years later if the words were heeded then.

I think it's all the niceness and denial that keeps something that can be incredible stuck in the past through ignorance.

No wonder these guys leave, taking all of that year in year out for telling the absolute truth and speaking out through shear frustration.

Even Blind Harry could see that.

There needs to be a collective quantum shift in thinking, not tomorrow, not the next day but NOW.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If you still think there is denial or ignorance, then I fear you are missing what many of us have been saying. Most of us have been using niceness, though. Of that we are guilty.

jford #362317 08/25/16 08:34 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jford
For example, the "File Menu" has "Save Song, "Save Song As...", and "Save Special". And then if you drill into "Save Special", you get (among other things) "Send to SoundCloud.com as .wav", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .wma", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .mp3", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .mp4", "Send to SoundCloud.com as .m4a". Couldn't we just have a single "Send to SoundCloud", and select the file format via a drop down filter box (like you get when you do a "File Open" to decide which kind of file you want to work with)

This is a perfect example of programmers adding "features" that are not needed and serve only to impress novices and clutter the interface for everyone! (Sorry if that does not sound "nice"!) We absolutely do NOT need any automated features to send our files to some 3rd-party service that may be out of business next year anyway! But these things get added and then listed as a new feature.

jford #362334 08/25/16 10:12 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Strongly agree with you John F. One point to clarify, when I mention 'UI' I'm not just referring to 'graphics', I'm discussing the entire User Interface, including menu's, options, functions layout etc.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

It's interesting reading back through the entire dialog in this and other similar-topic threads of the statements continually put forward by users just identifying the issues and seeking improvements in the UI.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
I've extensively used BIAB since version 7 (that's 18 years), I've written 3rd party software for it, I've actively promoted it between music students and fellow musicians during all that years and I've always said that buying BIAB is one of the best investments that a musician can do for his musical education, if not the best.

But when I've showed BIAB to music students I've always seen the same reaction: they are amazed with what the program can do, but when they start to try learning it, 90% of them just give up because they think it's very complicated and unintuitive. And I must agree with them. That's why I've said for years that the program needs a brand new GUI, from a fresh perspective. Sorry if saying that is not nice, but it's the truth.

PS: And yes, even if it's not the norm here (95% of the people in this forum are just great), I've seen several people here being harassed just because they were (respectfully) criticizing the program, or exposing some bugs, and I've seen some of them leaving the forum just because of that. I myself have been insulted here just for reporting bugs and program limitations that should be obvious for anyone with a minimum of computer experience. Respect and niceness has always two sides.

I wish this was a forum where mature users could report and discuss bugs of their favorite program without being insulted by a small handful of hardcore fans.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Strongly agree with you John F. One point to clarify, when I mention 'UI' I'm not just referring to 'graphics', I'm discussing the entire User Interface, including menu's, options, functions layout etc.

Also agree; I was merely presenting a handful of things that to me seemed like low hanging fruit. And that was without the benefit of the UI in front of me (well, I did refer to the user manual a little). I think there's a lot that can be done in all the areas you mentioned that doesn't require a total rewrite, but does require careful attention to making sure features don't break.

And as for me, I'll stay nice (at least I think I am, although on occasion I can get a little sarcastic). And there's that old meme about honey versus vinegar...

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Can I have my "Unfavorite Things"? by VideoTrack

Well asked ! keep it up to bring about solid change.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We are planning to improve the top area of the screen, to make the top toolbar area configurable and make a floating mixer that looks the same as the fixed mixer.

Most of the GUI complaints are concerned with that. We welcome all suggestions for the GUI.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Cerio #362366 08/25/16 12:20 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
[quote=Cerio]I've extensively using BIAB since version 7 (that's 18 years), I've written 3rd party software for it, I've actively promoting it between music students and fellow musicians during all that years and I've always said that buying BIAB is one of the best investments that a musician can do for himself., if not the best.

But when I've showed BIAB to music students I've always seen the same reaction: they are amazed with what the program can do, but when they start to try learning it, 90% of them just give up because they think it's very complicated and unintuitive. And I must agree with them. That's why I've said for years that the program need a brand new GUI, from a fresh perspective. Sorry if saying that is not nice, but it's the truth.

PS: And yes, even if it's not the norm here (95% of the people in this forum are just great), I've seen several people here being harassed just because they were (respectfully) criticizing the program, or exposing some bugs, and I've seen some of them leaving the forum just because of that. I myself have been insulted here just for reporting bugs and program limitations that should be obvious for anyone with a minimum of computer experience. Respect and niceness has always two sides.

I wish this was a forum where mature users could report and discuss bugs of their favorite program without being insulted by a small handful hardcore fans.

To be honest with you Cerio, it could be a language and cultural difference. There have been times when you've come across as demanding, insulting and sarcastic.

Last edited by raymb1; 08/25/16 02:51 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: DunedinDragon
Quote:
Confusion is solved by study and learning.

Which I would strongly recommend for the BIAB product development team!!

DunedinDragon Offline

Why's he gone ?

Originally Posted By: Cerio

they are amazed with what the program can do, but when they start to try learning it, 90% of them just give up because they think it's very complicated and unintuitive.

Same in my experience, good way to keep the 10%, the old users that pg are worried about loosing and loose 90% of potential new customers, brilliant marketing.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"In my case, as long as BIAB works like I need it to, I don't care what it looks like. When I'm performing I'm not looking at my laptop anyway."

Options > Skins > Classic Skin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB Layout.jpg (79.4 KB, 211 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
quote] Same in my experience, good way to keep the 10%, the old users that pg are worried about loosing and loose 90% of potential new customers, brilliant marketing.[/quote]
I believe that PGM will not lose any old users, just gain more new ones. Win-win all the way.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
"In my case, as long as BIAB works like I need it to, I don't care what it looks like. When I'm performing I'm not looking at my laptop anyway."

Options > Skins > Classic Skin

Can't possibly agree more! Provide options that users can decide on. Basic through to Advanced. Everyone's a winner.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195