You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#362870 - 08/29/16 12:36 PM [Off-Topic] There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads.
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#362884 - 08/29/16 01:51 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Thanx Frank for the heads up!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#362974 - 08/30/16 04:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

If you download from good sites, that should not be an issue. Get the download from Audacity's native site.

Lots of 3rd party sites will also have the download to the popular and free software. They are the folks who like to load it up with bloatware and malware. Always seek out the OEM website for downloading any software.

I think it's called C-net.... a popular 3rd party site for downloads of freeware..... man, there's no way I would DL from that site. It's confusing as to are you actually clicking on the link for the software you want or is it for some other crapware software that you don't want? If I can't t find the original site, I will often pass on that software rather than take the chance.

Yeah... be very careful when downloading free software.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#362997 - 08/30/16 07:36 AM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Agreed, downloading from CNET is very confusing. Sad, as it is a good source of info on new technology. I recall reading they were just bought out; don't know if that is true as Wikipedia only mentions acquisitions from 2008 (CBS) and standardizing with the U.K. version.

It's possible to acquire malware now by mousing / hovering over spots on a website. Scary.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#363021 - 08/30/16 10:29 AM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: Guitarhacker]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Audacity's website and download host, Fosshub, was hacked. Audacity's download was replaced with a hacked version for less than three hours before the issue was discovered and Audacity went offline. According to Audacity's download counter the hacked version was downloaded 213 times.

Audacity is now operating from an alternative website. The Audacity team is reviewing ways to prevent future hacker incursions.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#363107 - 08/30/16 05:59 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: Matt Finley]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: West coast

When googling something I've been directed to the C-net site more than once over the years and the above it true.
It's not ever clear what exactly you're downloading.
Hence, I've always left the site with little confidence in their motives and would not send someone there.

Back to topic....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?78446-chulaivet1966

#363277 - 08/31/16 06:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
rockstar_not Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Still flummoxed as to why people choose audacity when there are so many alternatives that some find easier to use.

#363278 - 08/31/16 07:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: rockstar_not]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Still flummoxed as to why people choose audacity when there are so many alternatives that some find easier to use.

Some of the reasons why I use it:
1. Free
2. Very stable.
3. Editing commands for cut, copy and paste work in a similiar manner as most word processors
4. Excellent WAVE to MP3 conversion.
5. Capability to enter metadata into a file.
6. Very nice set of effect tools.
7. Excellent documentation.
8. Have not found any alternative that is easier for me to use. I could do what I wanted in Audacity the first time I used it. Every other editor I've used I've needed to look at the documentation to understand how to use it.

Everybody approaches how they think through a task differently. Audacity's way of performing some tasks works for me but I understand it is not the only way and is not the best way for everyone. Variety is nice!

#363326 - 09/01/16 06:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
Veteran

If you are just using it as a single track editor, then it is useful. But for multi track use, it still seems terribly hard to use and with no midi integration

I abandoned it for years but did use it fairly extensively this past winter with the function of splitting an audio track based on level for use of converting vinyl to mp3.

Other than that, to my mind much of the click based editing it counterintuitive compared to other daw software and freeware

#363370 - 09/01/16 12:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: rockstar_not]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Three Audacity features I find very useful are add click track, add silence and add label track.

If I know the tempo of a selection I can add a click track at that tempo and then use the click track to count bars or as visual reference points. That's a great way to align multitracks.

Adding silence is a great way to gain space for a quick fade-in to soften abrupt sounding beginnings of a file (like when a song begins at full volume with no fade-in).

Add label is great for making notes about what's going on or what I want to do at a specific location in a file.

#363415 - 09/01/16 05:38 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
Veteran

Jim are you doing the manual alignment for every project? Manual track alignment is unnecessary in any DAW software. That's one of the things that just makes me scratch my head as to why people spend so much time messing with it. Have you ever used Real Band or any other software that is advertised as a DAW? You don't have to visually align tracks. They all have latency compensation in them and when you record a new track to be mixed with others they are already aligned. Things have been this way with DAW software in general for at least the last 10 years. Add silence in DAW software usually involves inserting bars. Not sure I understand the add label function, but there are some DAW like Tracktion which allow clip specific plugins and there are several VST which are just note plugins to type in comments and what not. Also most DAW have a tempo calculation feature for imported audio where you select a certain section and tell the DAW what number of measures that represents and voila the tempo is calculated. Click track is actually not printed to audio in most DAW but you can do that as well.

Edited by rockstar_not (09/01/16 05:44 PM)

#363542 - 09/02/16 11:30 AM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: rockstar_not]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Jim are you doing the manual alignment for every project? Manual track alignment is unnecessary in any DAW software. That's one of the things that just makes me scratch my head as to why people spend so much time messing with it. Have you ever used Real Band or any other software that is advertised as a DAW? You don't have to visually align tracks. They all have latency compensation in them and when you record a new track to be mixed with others they are already aligned. Things have been this way with DAW software in general for at least the last 10 years. Add silence in DAW software usually involves inserting bars. Not sure I understand the add label function, but there are some DAW like Tracktion which allow clip specific plugins and there are several VST which are just note plugins to type in comments and what not. Also most DAW have a tempo calculation feature for imported audio where you select a certain section and tell the DAW what number of measures that represents and voila the tempo is calculated. Click track is actually not printed to audio in most DAW but you can do that as well.

I'll definitively try using my daws, RealBand and Music Creator 6. I appreciate the suggestions.

#363553 - 09/02/16 12:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: There may be virus/hack items in New Audacity downloads. [Re: seeker]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
"Not sure I understand the add label function" ...

Is one thing Audacity actually does a very good job of.

An example:

Download an entire album from YouTube which is a single file. Add labels to the beginning of each track and Audacity will export each labeled track as an individual file. Therefore, instead of a One Track CD consisting of 10 songs and requires fast forwarding or rewind to move between songs, the CD consists of 10 individual tracks.

You could also break a speech into specific sections.

Not a deal breaker but certainly worth the cost of the Audacity program.

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27638 Members
50 Forums
52295 Topics
432929 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LumpyMusic, PWC, malcolmdanny45, IgorKo, run97410

27638 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 177