Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#364320 09/07/16 06:13 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Ok all - I have tried to do this before with no luck.
I have PT Pro V 2015(2). What I want to do is record one series of chords in midi with one horn section, then duplicate it exactly on a new track with a different horn section.
I am using a Juno. DI synth. According to the tone list map, my first horn section is MSB 087 LSB 067 PC 98. My second horn section is MSB 087 LSB 058 PC 23.

How can I do this?
Thanks to all for help!
Bernier

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Bernier -

If you have the first track recorded, the you should be able to duplicate that first track to another track. Make sure both tracks are assigned to your Juno for output (whether it's a MIDI out port or a USB out port).

On the first track, you should be able to right click and assign MSB, LSB, and patch number. Do the same for the second track with the other horn section.

Another thing to do is to select each track and then hit the F2 key and look at the MIDI data to make sure there is not a hard coded patch change present in the MIDI track. This will over-ride whatever you have set at the track level. For example, when I record from my keyboard, the keyboard sends the MIDI patch to the computer and it gets recorded into the track's MIDI data stream. If I later try to set it at the track level, it appears to make no change, because it's already written something different to the MIDI data. Check this for both tracks.

Hopefully this works for you.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PTPA Patch Select.jpg (69.03 KB, 75 downloads)

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
What John said (again)

Bernier - I don't have a Juno DI (but I have a ton of other Roland gear) and I just checked to make sure it WAS multi-timbral (looked at specs/manual: 16 parts/128 voices, so typical synth)

Now, and this is not to insult you, it's a "just in case" and for other readers, but you know those horn parts need to be assigned to different Juno DI parts (MIDI channels)?

Unless you are trying to set up some patch layering or keyboard split assignments? In that case you will need to write some SYSEX commands to do that from within PowerTracks

Good Luck
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 09/07/16 09:30 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
jford #364342 09/07/16 09:30 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the help. I've been using PT for years and I remembered why I always give up on it for months at a time! I spend 99% of my time messing with settings and 1% making music!
Here is what is happening. I followed your instructions and set MSB to 87, LSB to 67, and PC to 98. What I should get is trombone section. What I do get is "vibraphone".
I went to the patch select dialogue and chose Roland GS.
In the book with the Juno it lists MSB 87 LSB 67 and PC 98 as trombone section.
What now? Thanks as always. Bernier

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Larry. I am never insulted when I am learning. I do not know how to assign the horn parts to channels. Can you tell me?
Thanks!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
You can set the channel of a track to be anything from 1-16 (just right-click and set it). However, if there is already data on the track, you may have to remap the channel already in use.

Somewhere on the menu is an option to rechannel the MIDI. I would select the track, then hit F2 and look at the MIDI Event List to see what channel the notes are on. The select the "Rechannel" command. Select that channel the notes are on and enter it as both "Old high channel" and "Old low channel". Then enter the new channel as both "New high channel" and "New low channel", hit okay, and the data on that track should be remapped.

Also (and Larry can help me here), isn't Roland GS rather than GM, in which case the numbers may be offset by one. Another option is to try to find a patch map for the Juno. PGMusic has a bunch, but not all. You can also use a Sonar patch map and convert it for use with PowerTracks. Instructions to do so should be in the help file and/or user manual (search on patch map).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #364360 09/07/16 11:39 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Roland is zero based (and in this case is GM2) but forget that for now

1. GO to here

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/juno-di/updates_drivers/

2. At bottom of page Download: JUNO-Di SONAR Instrument Definition List (Patches)

(good place to find manuals, and other utilities as well)

3. Open PowerTracks and follow instructions here

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_ptwpatchmap.htm#convert

NOW you have a PATCH MAP that you can use to select BY NAME the patches you want.

The conversion utility will ask you if you want to append this new set to the existing patches.ini: SAY Yes.

Then close PT and re-open so it can rebuild the "PATCHES.BIN" file.

Better yet, close Power tracks, then DELETE (or rename if you're worried) the "PATCHES.BIN" file then re-start PT and it WILL rebuild the PATCHES.BIN and your Juno DI will be available as a patch map

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Wow - you guys are awesome! Can't wait to try it tomorrow! Bernier

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
The instructions say to go to the Action menu in PT and choose "Convert patch list from Band-in-a-Box® or Cakewalk". There is no option in my Action menu that matches the tutorial. ( I have PT ver 2015). The file I downloaded from Roland for the patches has a setup in it, but when I press that it tells me a file is missing. I tried this several times.
I do have a new file called JunoDI_patch+GM2.ins on my desktop.
Help!

Last edited by Bernier; 09/10/16 06:22 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
First, RE: the Powertracks Menu/tutorial, my mistake, seems PT 2015 & 2016 have changed, and that menu "action" item got moved and buried one more level down.

Go to Edit menu

"EDIT -> MIDI -> Convert patch list from Band-in-a-Box® or Cakewalk"

Second, re: the Roland site - there is no "setup" in the file you SHOULD have downloaded?

There was nothing to setup or install vis–à–vis the : the link towards bottom of page that says

"JUNO-Di SONAR Instrument definition List (Patches)"

on the Roland site, - just download and UNZIP!

The unzip gives you a folder that contains the resultant " .ins" file that you do want, it is the one you will convert to an ".ini" file from within PowerTracks.
You say you have it, the .ins file, on your desktop, good.
Remember during conversion it will ask if you want to append at end of existing patches.ini file - SAY YES.

Otherwise YOU will need to remember where the now named " JunoDI_patch+GM2.ini" was stored, then rename it to "patches.ini", then MOVE it to the PowerTracks folder (PowerTracks only looks to the PowerTracks folder for the .patches.ini file - it will not work if the .ini is sitting on your desktop)!

Finally please note, that the file "JunoDI_patch+GM2.ins" is the complete Juno DI instrument list: WITHOUT the drums, that's a separate download, the last one on that Roland page called " JUNO-Di SONAR Instrument definition List (Rhythm Kit)."

You would have to Download, convert, and append it to the "patches.ini" if you want each rhythm kit and its note mappings.

Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
convert.jpg (171.02 KB, 34 downloads)
roland.jpg (171.86 KB, 34 downloads)

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks so much Larry! Everything went fine. Then I launched pt, and it asked to setup midi drivers. I chose Juno for both input and output, hit ok, and received a blue screen error " bad_pool_header". Tried this a couple of times and keep getting same blue screen error.
Boy, this is getting frustrating.....
Thanks as always - Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Right back where I started. I got PT to work after loading the midi drivers. Changed first track to midi, chose MSB 087 LSB 067 PC 098. According to my manual, this is supposed to be trombone section. What I get is FX2 - some kind of synth sound. At my wits end.
Help appreciated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Try Options-Patch Names .. then select the list you want to see, hopefully Juno shows up ..

MSB LSB should not be needed once installed correctly

See how I can select a GM sound on the left and see all the variations on the right?

patches.jpg (55.99 KB, 53 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #364838 09/10/16 03:05 PM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
what Rharv said

The whole point of having a patch file is so that you DO NOT need to type in MSB/LSB + Patch number.

You need to do some reading in the PT documentation on how to use patches, instruments, assign them to tracks, etc. (just like you would with any ANY DAW)

Larry

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Something I just tthought of - in the midi select box, there is a checkbox for re-route to CoyoteWT. should this be unchecked? When it is checked, is it using this patch map rather than Juno? Thanks! Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here is exactly what I am doing.
1. go to the first track in PT, R click on track and change the track type to midi.
2. R click, program, brass, 57: trumpet
E. Patch select dialogue: patch list Roland GS , 57: trumpet. There is a window on the right that lists "variations". The only entry there is 0:trumpet

In my Roland manual, it lists Like this:
Brass
No. 791 Br077 Trumpet. BRS 121 0 57
( where MSB is 121 and LSB is 0)

This is what I am trying to get. This is the trumpet "section" Any ideas?
Thanks as always. Bernier

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
If you insist on using MSB LSB then do it in the Classic Tracks window ..

If you do not see your Juno-DI listed in your patch map you didn't do it right.

rharv #364920 09/11/16 05:19 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'd rather use the non MSB LSB if I could figure out how to get it to work...
I've got Roland GS and Roland VSC - GS mode. Shouldn't one of these work?

Last edited by Bernier; 09/11/16 05:21 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
No, GM and GS only handle a certain subset of the patches on your synth.

Sounds like you have not created the Patch Map correctly.
Can you post your patches.ini file somewhere?
Do you remember seeing PT say it was rebuilding the patches.bin file? This is a necessary step.
With PT not running:
Rename Patches.bin to ParchesOld.bin (or whatever) then restart PT.
You should see PT say it is rebuilding Patches.Bin.
Once done see if your Juno-DI shows an option in the Patches Dialogue along with the other GM/GS options.

See in my image above how the Patch Dialogue lists my Juno-G? That is how yours should look with the Juno-DI.

And yes, if you check the box to Re-Route all MIDI to DXi synth, that's what happens! All MIDI goes there instead of out to the Juno-DI ...

Last edited by rharv; 09/11/16 05:46 AM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Larry -I did as you suggested and deleted patches.bin from the PT folder.
I do have a patches.ini file in thE PT folder. I restarted PT and then looked in the PT folder, and there's is now no patches.bin file there, yet I am getting no error messages.
Please advise - thanks
Bernier

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195