You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#363953 - 09/05/16 04:04 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] One track way too loud...
mark.ogier Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Malvern, UK. Where the hills a...
Hi
I am a BIAB newbie so forgive me if this is a dumb question!
I am using an MGU file I found for the Jazz Standard 'Misty'.

I am using the Real Tracks style _SLOWBAL.STY which generally sounds great.
However, there is a track called Strings which plays the Melody AND String pads. Not sure how/why it has 2 things on the same track.
Anyway, the issue is that the melody part of this track is way too loud. I can reduce the volume of the track in the mixer but that pulls down the strings volume as well, which is fine without being reduced.
Is there some way of separating the Melody part (Played with a synth sound) from the Strings part so I can control them independently?
Hope that makes sense!
Cheers
Mark

Attachments
Misty.jpg

#363976 - 09/05/16 05:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Mark,

The _SLOWBAL style only consists of Bass, Piano and Drums. What you have on the Melody track seems to be suggesting that you've either created a melody or you've loaded in a midi file. Is this correct?

Regards,
Noel

#363993 - 09/05/16 07:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: Noel96]
mark.ogier Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Noel
Thanks for the quick reply.
The MGU came off the Net. To be honest I have been trawling around all over the place looking for a set of Jazz standards to match up with what we are working on (Me Guitar, Wife singing). So it could have been from anywhere
But the arrangement seems quite good, just the problem with this track

So you may well be right that the person that uploaded the file had dropped in some other stuff for the melody line and strings

Is there any way to extract them separately or is it now like salt in the water smile

If not, any suggestion on alternative BIAB files for Misty with Melody?

Thanks very much
Mark

#364005 - 09/05/16 09:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Mark,

If you can you email the MGU to me, I'll have a look at it. To try and solve the problem without knowing what I'm working with is a bit challenging.

If you click on my name (i.e. Noel96) on the left of this post and then select "View Profile", you'll find my email address.

Regards,
Noel

#364008 - 09/05/16 10:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: Noel96]
mark.ogier Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Noel

Many thanks for helping. PM sent with file

Cheers
Mark

#364057 - 09/05/16 04:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the file. It made finding a solution much easier.

As it turns out, the harmony is easily removed in this instance. The person who created the file has used BIAB created harmony that's found under the "Harmony" menu item. Fortunately, they had not written it to the Melody track.

My solution...

The information that I give below is from BIAB (Windows). It will be similar for BIAB (Mac).

When I clicked on the "Harmony" menu and selected "Melody Harmony"...

... I could see that Harmony #151 had been selected.

All that I needed to do was to scroll to the top of the harmony selection window and select "<no harmony>".

After that, I simply changed the midi sound (patch) on the Melody track to piano and all was fine.

NOTE: I didn't pick it up from the image in your original post (I was slow!), but if you look at the mixer window, it's possible to see all this information on the Melody track. (20/20 hindsight, I guess!)

Regards,
Noel

#364164 - 09/06/16 10:00 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
jazzsax Offline
Journeyman

Loc: San Jose,CA
Thanks noel96, I too was having the same problem with one song for years and would mute the thru channel each time the song played.
Even BIAB support couldn't help me, or possibly I did not understand the help they gave me.

#364269 - 09/07/16 01:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: jazzsax]
mark.ogier Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for doing that Noel, sounds much better now.

Just wondered also if it is possible to somehow retain the strings as well (maybe on a separate track?) as they sound quite nice in the arrangement. Just need to be able to control the volume of them and the melody line piano individually.

If not, no worries, this is great now, Thank you!

Mark

Edited by mark.ogier (09/07/16 01:22 AM)

#364316 - 09/07/16 09:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Mark,

Glad I could help. I don't have the answer for this at the moment because I haven't used BIAB harmony very often over the years. I need to play around with the program for a bit and see if I can accomplish what you're after.

Back in touch in a day or two,
Noel

#364725 - 09/09/16 08:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Mark,

The first thing that needs to be done is to copy the Melody track to the Soloist track.

This is done via the Melody menu as shown below using a blue rectangle.

Now set the MIDI patch on the Soloist track to Piano.

The MIDI patch on the Melody track should be set to Strings. If there are existing patch changes on the Melody track, go to 'Bar Settings' and select the "Reset all bars" option. Then reload the strings patch.

Regards,
Noel

#364874 - 09/11/16 02:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: Noel96]
mark.ogier Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Noel

Just followed your excellent instructions in my BIAB and perfect!

Thank you so much for all your help! You should write a book 'The BIAB Real Book' smile

Maybe you could point me in the direction for some help with another thing (not wanting to mix up the thread too much).

It is my hope that I can use my BK7M sound module to play general MIDI files. Is there a decent step-by-step guide to exporting a song (i.e. this Misty song) as General Midi so I can load it up in the BK7M and play using that. Bottom line is, I don't want to take a Laptop and all the gear it entails, to a gig, just a hardware sound box and a USB stick full of midi files.

Thanks again,
Mark

#365515 - 09/14/16 06:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: One track way too loud... [Re: mark.ogier]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Mark,

To do this, click on the .MID button on the toolbar (or File - Save Special - Save Song as MIDI File), then in the window that appears, click on "File on Disk".

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

PG Music News
Happy National iPod Day! Celebrate with Pitch Invasion

The iPod was introduced on October 23, 2001 - it's hard to believe we've had the iPod available to us for so long!

Spend some time on your iPod today playing our Pitch Invasion App, reviewed as "A great to pass the time and work on pitch recognition."

Band-in-a-Box® Backing Tracks on the Masterclass 'Melodic Choices' Tour!

The Masterclass 'Melodic Choices' tour with Michael Dolce is on its final month, with dates remaining in Australia!

Michael uses Band-in-a-Box® to create the tracks for this tour!

A few images from the event:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

A little information about Michael Dolce :
Michael Dolce is one of Australia's premier guitarists whose career spans over 27 years. He has worked with Delta Goodrem, Lionel Richie, The Madden Brothers, Good Charlotte, Keith Urban, Kelly Rowland, Kylie Minogue, Roachford, Jessica Mauboy, Ricky Martin, Ronan Keating, Jessie J, Seal, Will-I-Am, Paulini, Marvin Priest and many more. He is the house guitarist for the hit show 'The Voice' and has been touring the country with his 'Masterclass' series for the past 3 years sharing his concepts, approach, technique and knowledge.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows - User Programmable Functions

But, what if you want to be able to tell the program to do MORE than that?

Head to Chapter 14: User Programmable Functions within the online manual, and you'll learn more about programmable features like:

The StyleMaker
Create brand-new styles or edit existing styles!

Making RealDrums Styles
Template file included! You can either record a drummer, or you can piece together a wave file using drum loops!

The Harmony Maker
Create or edit your own (or existing) harmonies!

The Soloist Maker and The Melodist Maker
Define your own Soloists or Melodists in whichever style you'd like!

The Guitarist Maker
The program will intelligently arrange any melody to a guitar chord solo by inserting real guitar voicings throughout the piece. There are many preloaded Guitarists to choose from, or you can customize existing Guitarists’ settings or make your own Guitarists from scratch using this feature.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

Forum Stats
28094 Members
57 Forums
54496 Topics
450743 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Molldur, Frans, Gregle, sergio2018, Pellegrino

28093 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 205