Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#365943 09/18/16 04:50 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Friends,

Is your day gig involving IT? I've been fighting a stubborn computer problem that you would solve in minutes, not weeks. My entire system has slowed to a crawl making it almost unusable. Upon good advise I downloaded an ISO Image file of Windows 7/64 Home Premium which came pre-installed on my HP Elite computer, however, when attempting to install it, it reported that my PRODUCT KEY was invalid so I couldn't continue the installation.

Going backward, my first indication of trouble was a predictable black screen after about 40 minutes of viewing a movie on either YT or NetFlix. Nothing else was affected.

I was informed by friends on www.majorgeeks.com to run a system file scan from the DOS prompt which discovered a corrupted system file but didn't name the file. That led to my attempt to reinstall Windows 7. I started this project over a week ago and I'm in tears of utter frustration. I think I've fixed the black screen problems but now it's terribly slow loading and delays after each keystroke or button press. Boot time ranges between 2 and 6 minutes when it had been well under 1 minute prior to these problems.

I'd be thrilled to pay a reasonable fee to anyone willing to "remote" my computer to explore and repair my system. Meanwhile, my music has been placed on perpetual hold.

Thanks.

Donny

Expert
Expert
Hmmmm....

I'm not an IT guy by any stretch.

Is it possible when entering your product key during reinstall that you may have typed an O that should have been a 0?
Or a 2 that is really a Z?
(I've made those errors a time or two over the decades until I really looked closely at the tiny fonts that are sometimes used).

Could it be your video driver is not up to date?

That's totally shooting from the hip....but, at least a bump.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 09/18/16 06:23 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Hmmmm....

I'm not an IT guy by any stretch.

Is it possible when entering your product key during reinstall that you may have typed an O that should have been a 0?
Or a 2 that is really a Z?
(I've made those errors a time or two over the decades until I really looked closely at the tiny fonts that are sometimes used).

Could it be your video driver is not up to date?

That's totally shooting from the hip....but, at least a bump.

Carry on....

I cut/pasted directly from the computer's registry anticipating exactly what you suggested.

I've now got a correct and clean PRODUCT KEY and will jump back in after Josie's show at 1pm Central.

Thanks for tossing out a lifeline. Much appreciated.

I verified that my video drivers are up to date. Great call though.

Donny
SSG and certified Gasthaus Liberator

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Don, I'm no longer an active comp sci prof but I'm going to keep reading this thread in case something rings a bell. I understand that just fooling around testing stuff is more difficult for you than us.

What utility told you that it was a corrupt system file? Did the major geek advice include trying to let Windows repair itself?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
How full is the hard drive for disk "C"?

When you get to the point of less than 10% things do start to slow way down. I had that issue some time back and it seems that windows likes to save practically everything in it's TEMP and TEMP INTERNET file folders. You can generally delete the contents of those folders safely, which are often many gigabytes in size. Also reset the RESTORE size and frequency as well. It comes with a default setting on what it wants to save and how many copies of the restore it is set to keep. It's relatively safe to let it keep only two or three of the most recent ones. My restore had many dozens of backups in it's registry. I deleted them all but the most recent two or three. It freed up a huge chunk of digital real estate.

Doing that one thing took my laptop from 94% filled back to less than 60% filled in about 30 seconds and the machine ran so much better after that.

You might also want to run ANTI-MALWARE BYTES on the disks and let it check for and fix the issues it finds. Also, a good registry fixer can make a huge difference. When it's all done, run your defrag utility as well to organize and rearrange the files.

Any time you see an issue, a cold reboot is in order.....and if the issue is still there.... do a restore. Don't wait. Restore has solved a bunch of glitches for me.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/18/16 08:09 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb,

I have a 1 TB C: drive showing only 25% used but I like your suggestion. It is stuffed with junk files that I can transfer to my 2 TB external drive and probably delete most of it.

I've been instructed how to find a clean PRODUCT KEY so, armed with that, I'm plunging back in.

Major Geeks informed me that the PRODUCT KEY on OEM computers cover a broad range of machines and often fail at reinstalling time.

I hope I can reinstall Windows 7 today. I had it tweaked to perfection!

Veteran
Veteran
It will be interesting to see if the product key works Donny. I doubt it will. In my case I was in the middle of transferring all my stuff from my old Win 7 machine to the system in my sig that originally was also Win 7. My original plan was to do the free upgrade to Win 10 on the old box last July, test it, make sure everything worked then do the same with the new box. That's when I discovered I also had an invalid key and it wouldn't do the upgrade. I was all over the internet and talked to several people and there's no way to get a valid key any more. At least that's what I've read and was told.

I suspect your only option is to buy and install Win 10 but don't worry, it works fine and there's no problem at all working with it. If you really do find a valid key and can reinstall Win 7 please let us know because I still have that old box and would like to do that with it. Like your's it too was finally running so slow and messed up there's nothing to do but a reinstall. If I want to use it I may have to buy and put Win 10 on that one too.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob,

Not realizing, I downloaded the ISO Image to my C: Drive thinking I could then copy it over to any boot-able media. I may have to download it again. Another 6 hour d/l.Chortle.

So far, it hasn't asked for a product key. IIRC, that's part of the actual installation, not yet.

Thanks for jumping in.

Donny

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"I downloaded an ISO Image file of Windows 7/64 Home Premium which came pre-installed on my HP Elite computer,..."

Did you download a retail ISO or or the HP recovery iso as they would be different keys.

You should have a hidden recovery partition that has the win install files and programs on that you access by keep pressing F11 at boot.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Veteran
Veteran
There are a lot of test tools available, but Microsoft has an inbuilt utility that just might give you a "clue".

Start PowerShell and run as Administrator as shown:

At the command prompt, type:

Get-WmiObject -class Win32_winsat

press Enter

The values labeled 'Score' are a score out of 10 for the performance of each object.

if you see a really low value for any of these, it's an indicator of a problem.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-09-19_18-45-10.jpg (51.62 KB, 123 downloads)
2016-09-19_18-51-28.jpg (88.98 KB, 123 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Don, if you need a new Win 7 you can get one here

https://parkwaysoftware.com/product?n=Windows+7+Home+Premium&pid=14

for $49.99. It comes with a license.

I hope you don't need to shell out any of your millions but if you do this looks like a good buy.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
This is the first company I've seen selling Win 7 that looks legit. They're also selling Win 10 Pro for $105 as well. Now, if Donny is forced to pay for a copy I would just get Win 10 and forget 7 but that's up to him of course.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

Nice link. Thanks for sharing.

Don,

Following this thread. I'd offer but I think I'd be more hinderance than help. I'm still adjusting to Win7 after a recent change from XP.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
My experience has been that the longer you have windows installed and have tried lots of software after 2-3 years the computer will slow down, in my case at boot and would take about 3 mins to boot up. It was so slow I seriously considered doing a fresh install of 7.

In my case I bought an SSD 500gb and what a change it has been, can't sing its praises enough. so something to think about. Just clone the old hard drive system over to it and do the relevant SSD tweaks. Chances are the PC will speed up a lot.

By the way even though the windows 10 free upgrade has finished for windows 7 or 8, you can still get it if you use assistive technologies such as the magnifier, so still free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Once everything is running well use free Macrium Reflect to back up your system.

Hope you get it working Don.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 09/19/16 08:29 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
I'll usually back up any important files on my Windows drive, wipe it and reinstall Windows every couple of years or so. Seems to help with the bloat that accumulates over time.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
My experience has been that the longer you have windows installed and have tried lots of software after 2-3 years the computer will slow down, in my case at boot and would take about 3 mins to boot up. It was so slow I seriously considered doing a fresh install of 7.

In my case I bought an SSD 500gb and what a change it has been, can't sing its praises enough. so something to think about. Just clone the old hard drive system over to it and do the relevant SSD tweaks. Chances are the PC will speed up a lot.

By the way even though the windows 10 free upgrade has finished for windows 7 or 8, you can still get it if you use assistive technologies such as the magnifier, so still free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Once everything is running well use free Macrium Reflect to back up your system.

Hope you get it working Don.

Musiclover

Great tip, Musiclover.

I'm downloading the free Windows 10 offer for Assistive Technology people right now. Wow! It's 3.3 Gb!

I had hesitated go to Win 10 because of the typical delay in driver manufactures catching up. Looks like that is no longer a problem.

Thanks so much.

Don

Veteran
Veteran
That's great but is MS going to let you install it without a valid license key for Win 7?

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Yep, you definitely need a valid 7 key to get the free upgrade to 10.

Hope it goes ok for you.

One thing to do when you are up and running is download CCleaner, go into the tools on it, select startup and disable any non essential startup programs that will slow your computer down at boot up time.

And when everything is up and running again, do the Macrium Reflect image and burn the boot dvd for it, in case of any further emergency. You do need to image that to a different drive not your system drive and if possible to an external drive as a safe guard as well.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 09/19/16 01:33 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MediaCreationTool.jpg (55.17 KB, 80 downloads)
Last edited by Pipeline; 09/19/16 02:08 PM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's my curfew (bedtime) and the d/l is only at 75%! I guess tomorrow has to be soon enough for the final "eureka moment"!

I sincerely thank everyone who jumped in with lifelines.

This forum is truly a wonderful "family"!

Don

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195