You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#365806 - 09/16/16 11:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Chord Suggestion Feature
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

I set the key...I set my first chord in the first bar...I would love if BIAB had a popup window that would suggest to me what chords are commonly played next AND give me a button to click so I can hear the chord. this would be a nice tool to use when songwriting.

this image is very simplistic but should convey the idea. more advanced chord options could be added and it should not be limited to only the more common chords. it would be great if it would play a bar using the currently selected track!

#365814 - 09/17/16 01:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi John,

That's a great idea. I reckon there would be many users out there who would like ideas on what chord follows the one just used.

Believe it or not, I actually created my avatar with the Nashville notation to give users a way of working out what chords travel to and from other chords. I had intentions of writing how to do this in "Tips and Tricks". I just haven't got around to it yet. You've inspired me. I'll get my thoughts together over the next couple of days and write it up. (The beauty of using Nashville notation in BIAB is that because it is independent of key, it works equally easily in all keys.)

Regards,
Noel

#365831 - 09/17/16 06:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
This is a good idea IF you can select to turn it off!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#365838 - 09/17/16 08:03 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Cerio Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spain
Great idea!

#365844 - 09/17/16 09:08 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
+1 I think.

Sometimes I use the chord builder option to demo different chords to help me determine what chord sounds like a chord I hear in my head. The trouble is I want a progression but don't know music theory well enough to identify the progression so I end up using chord builder to go through the alphabet and demo chords to find the root and then go through the chord variations to find the right variation.

It would be great to have a pop up option ease that process. I just don't understand how an option can help me determine the chord progression I want when I don't know enough music theory to give the option a hint.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#365849 - 09/17/16 09:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Jim, the hint comes from the key you chose and what chord you used last. So you would do nothing different than you do now...type in a chord and the popup automatically suggests possible chords to go to next.

#365852 - 09/17/16 09:39 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

JohnJohnJohn,

Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense after I thought it through some more.

#365854 - 09/17/16 09:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Pauline - PG Music Offline
Apprentice

Hi John,

I like this idea too. Noted! smile

When I'm writing tunes I often find this Chord Wheel tool helpful.
https://www.amazon.ca/Chord-Wheel-Ultimate-Tool-Musicians/dp/0634021427/ref=sr_1_1/163-5097577-8849936?ie=UTF8&qid=1474130957&sr=8-1&keywords=circle+of+fifths

Pauline
PG Music Team

#365927 - 09/18/16 01:09 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: MarioD]
John-Luke Offline
Expert

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is a good idea IF you can select to turn it off!

Yes, because not all the users will use that.

My advice : buy a good a harmony book and study it seriously. You will get a real knowledge of harmony and a better control over your music.

So, for pro results, you have to envisage passing chord, modulations, extended chords, chords with bass inversions, frequency of chords changes, ....according to the genre (rock/pop/latin/world/...) and the style (ballad/fast T° songs/...), and not forgetting also that chords should also be driven by the melody and countermelody...

#365945 - 09/18/16 07:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: John-Luke]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Originally Posted By: John-Luke
... My advice : buy a good a harmony book and study it seriously. You will get a real knowledge of harmony and a better control over your music.

John-Luke, great suggestion. Will you reccommend a title?

#365980 - 09/18/16 11:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: John-Luke]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

My advice : buy a good a harmony book and study it seriously. You will get a real knowledge of harmony and a better control over your music.

Do you also advise people not to use Band-in-a-Box because they should instead learn to play the instruments themselves to "get a real knowledge" and "better control over your music"?

Obviously, we use tools to get the results we want. Adding a tool like this will help us achieve those goals!

#365989 - 09/18/16 01:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I'm no George when it comes to chords, Music theory and reading books is not for me, so yes suggestion is good.

RapidComposer is great in that way.

Attachments
RC_Chord_Suggest.jpg

#365992 - 09/18/16 02:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: Pipeline]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I'm no George when it comes to chords, Music theory and reading books is not for me, so yes suggestion is good.

RapidComposer is great in that way.

Agreed!! PG could get a LOT of inspiration from Rapid Composer in this and other areas! RC is like a Swiss Army knife for songwriters!

#365994 - 09/18/16 03:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Same with the background color of the piano roll corresponds to the chord/scale so you can compose rapidly.

Attachments
RC_Note_Color.jpg

BB_Note_Color.jpg

#366007 - 09/18/16 04:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: John-Luke]
Cerio Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spain

So, for pro results, you have to envisage passing chord, modulations, extended chords, chords with bass inversions, frequency of chords changes, ....according to the genre (rock/pop/latin/world/...) and the style (ballad/fast T° songs/...), and not forgetting also that chords should also be driven by the melody and countermelody...

Yes, of course you're right, but band in a box is widely used by a lot of people, with different interests and different backgrounds.

For example, I've extensively used BIAB to teach music theory and harmony, and I can clearly see how helpful would be a built-in Chord wheel for a lot of students (specially beginners).

#366025 - 09/18/16 06:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I personally would not have a big need, but certainly there are many users who would get a benefit.
So yes,
+1

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#366128 - 09/19/16 11:20 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Anthony - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

This is a great idea! Thanks everyone for all the input on this subject! I agree this feature would be great with the option to disable for user not interested.

#366300 - 09/20/16 08:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Chord Suggestion Feature [Re: Anthony - PG Music]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
I also just posted an idea to also include the ability to select chord progressions using Roman numeral, similar to the Nashville number system but intended to be used for experimenting with chords and learning music theory.
music producer/engineer

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

New Online Band-in-a-Box and RealBand Manuals

Do you hate digging around for manuals as much as I do? Now you can access the most recent Band-in-a-Box® and RealBand manuals with just a few clicks on the new Online Manuals section of our website.

The PDF manuals for version 2017 and 2018 are available now. Plus, we're adding online versions of these manuals too! The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Windows User's Guide is complete, and the Mac User's Guide will be coming very soon. We're even adding a search feature to make it even easier for you to find features that you are looking for - stay tuned!

Forum Stats
27966 Members
57 Forums
53945 Topics
445552 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
visioncl, Graybones, kikesh, RedVampirePrince, rockmarcus28

27965 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 476
David Snyder 148