Print Thread
Go To
#366695 09/22/16 08:46 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Let's say I want to run two VST synths, one for right hand keys, the other for left hand bass on separate MIDI channels...how does one actually do this in BIAB? When utilising the Thru part there seems to be only one VSTi option allowable?

And is it true you can only actually hear the VST when the song is started? If it is not playing it seems there is no audio output.

K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
Hi Joden,

All the MIDI that you play into Band-in-a-Box is played on the Thru track and each track can only be sent to one VSTi at a time. Splitting your MIDI input between two virtual instruments isn't supported natively by Band-in-a-Box but you may be able to work around it if you can find a VST that can host multiple instruments and route MIDI between them. Something like this http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/ might work for your needs.

You might also be able to achieve the same results if you have a VST that lets you split the keyboard range. Instead of having two totally separate plugins, you'd have one plugin load 2 different sounds, one for each region of the keyboard.

Regarding your second issue, it sounds like you're using an ASIO driver for your audio in Band-in-a-Box. When using an ASIO driver typically the program releases the driver when it isn't playing, which results in the entire program being silent. The only way you'd notice this is if you played an instrument while the song is stopped, which makes it look like a MIDI problem. You can fix this by going to Options | Preferences | Audio | Audio Drivers and checking the box "ASIO Always On." This makes sure the ASIO driver is always active so you'll always have sound, but it does tend to prevent any other programs on your computer from being able to access your sound card while Band-in-a-Box is open.

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the replies. Yeah ASIO is already set to Always On and the only other app that uses it is Sonar which has a nice "allow driver to be shared" option.

Oky dokes I get it re the VST in...s'pose I could always use my ST3 as a plug, I mean I use it for bass already, it's just the pianos and EP's are pretty ordinary.

Veteran
Veteran
If you're a one man band kind of studio operator.... the bigger question is why would you want to do that? You have the ability to multi-track one track at a time, so why not do that?

In a live stage rig, again, to do that, you would need to have a keyboard that allows you to split the keyboard and assign the outputs accordingly. I'm not personally aware of any VSTi synths that have the ability to have multiple channels in one synth except perhaps TTS. Most of the better ones are all one channel synths. At least the ones I have are that way. You could always run 2 instances and make it work assuming you can split the outputs properly.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Joden, you can use multiple VSTi's in Real Band. A few questions, what are you using as a controller? What type of music and why do you need Biab running on a live gig? Exactly how are you using it?

ASIO 2.0 or whatever it is now has been multi-client for years and Biab and RB are about the only music software's that don't allow that and this is another long time Wishlist item. With the new VST enhancements maybe this can be added soon as a patch?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Arturia Keylab 88 is the controller. I did know I could do multiples in RB but I find RBs UI rather clunky and awkward in general. Albeit I have not really tried to get "used" to it as I run Sonar, not live though. For that I use Cantabile and MP3's...BUT, I have been thinking more and more of late that having a more dynamic system would be nice. IE not having to go through the steps required any time I wish to slightly change the backing track, or to have options to alter the time frame of songs (eg repeat sections if I so choose.

Hence the investigation of just connecting up the external BIAB drive to the stage laptop. But I would need the capability of running multiple VSTi's which, as I have found from this thread is not possible.

Veteran
Veteran
Got it. The Conductor works great as long as either you or you and a partner completely understands how it works. Years ago I had a duo with a sax player and depending on the gig we would bring in a singer. The year after the Conductor was first introduced, 2010 maybe?, I decided to set it all up. The only problem was when the singer decided on his own with no warning, to extend something, stop and talk to someone, forget where he was and go to the bridge, whatever. That caused several train wrecks. I've been backing up vocalists for 40 years on keyboards so if I'm just playing live, none of that is a problem, just go with whatever they decide to do but using a laptop and Biab? Fuggetaboutit. That was a short lived experiment. It lasted two sets and I turned Biab into a drum machine and played bass and keys live on my Kurzweil. On another gig a few weeks later I had a chance to really talk to the vocalist, explain how this works, just give me a little warning, etc, etc. Still didn't work. It really requires a full rehearsal and some experience which we didn't have time for.

My only comment about the sound quality you're after with using multiple VST's is can you really hear the difference in the middle of a noisy gig? I completely get the importance of having a sound you really like, just look at my sig, but still is the difference between one of ST3's basses and another VST's bass really that great with people talking, glasses tinkling and the like? Simply using a different PA system, changing the EQ maybe even a separate bass amp can make a huge difference in the sound of the bass.

Speaking of separate, what I did was pan the bass and drums full left and the other instruments full right and took the stereo outs from the phones jack to my PA mixer. That gave enough control to balance the sound.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Bob. Good to get a view from someone who has tried it already! I like your idea of using a separate bass amp. It would give a great separation of sound I'd imagine.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can use VSTHost http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=365142#Post365142
and

midiKeySplit - Simple keyboard splitter.
midiKeySplit4 - Four-zone keyboard splitter.
http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

more
https://jstuff.wordpress.com/js-midi-tools/

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
You can use VSTHost http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=365142#Post365142
and

midiKeySplit - Simple keyboard splitter.
midiKeySplit4 - Four-zone keyboard splitter.
http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

more
https://jstuff.wordpress.com/js-midi-tools/

thx pipeline. I already own that, plus I use Cantabile at present so I know all about splitting and using different VSTi's smile the thread was about using BIAB only. And using multiple VSTi's within that one program. If I am going to run convoluted signal chains, I'm am far better off just using Cantabile.

The thread question was pretty well answered I thought smile

Cheers

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Just if anyone else needs to do it without buying any extra apps.

Veteran
Veteran
You might enjoy reading the Keyboard Corner forum. Some of the posters there are high level pros who are flying all over doing big shows. The subject of Cantabile and/or Mainstage using multiple VST's for these shows comes up all the time. Just yesterday someone asked about a good sturdy case for a laptop and an interface. Here's the thread:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2806094/gonew/1/Laptop_and_audio_interface_cas#UNREAD

That SKB Studio Flyer is a pretty cool case and if I were to start doing that kind of thing this would definitely work.

Bob

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
thanks Bob - I'm already a member of KC grin

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195