Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#367326 09/26/16 05:05 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
E
OP Offline
E
I am trying to decide whether to upgrade from BIAB 2013 to BIAB 2016, which has MUSX functionality. Will importing an MUSX Finale file into BIAB 2016 preserve the MUSX file's key signature, notes, lyrics and chords, allowing me to edit such file constituents in BIAB? If so, please indicate whether this file import and conversion process will be simple, as I can imagine possible hurdles one might encounter. For example, could I just import the MUSX file into BIAB, click on a leadsheet or fakebook icon to open up the imported file, and then get straight down to editing the sucker? Or would the process be more complex, and if so, potentially how much more complex?

TIA for any guidance anyone might offer here. Sorry if this query, is too open-ended, but I am unsure how to frame it more clearly. Best regards.

Veteran
Veteran
easy2001, thanks for the post.

When you mention MUSX are you referring to Music-XML?

Support for this was added in 2016.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Assuming this is about Music XML, as Videotrack said, this is rather new. I and a few others did some experiments transferring files with mixed results, highly dependent on the particular software chosen.

As you must know, Music XML is capable of transferring key signatures, notes and chord symbols. I have not tried lyrics. I also have not tried Finale in recent years.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Easy2001 -

If you post a sample Finale file with the elements you are interested in somewhere, I'd be happy to give it a try. I have Finale 2014.5 (haven't upgraded to the new 64-bit version yet). I can then display the results on the forum.

Keep in mind, however, that BIAB won't import a bass track from Finale into the bass track of BIAB, nor any of the other accompaniment tracks, because those are generated by the selected style. You can import any of the 16 MIDI channels in your file to the melody or soloist track, however, and you can pare it down from there.

But yes, if you post a sample file, we can show you what the results would be. Or just send it to me at: sus4chord-at-gmail-dot-com (with the obvious substitutions).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your responses. By MUSX files, I do indeed mean music XML files, which have the extension .musx. Thus, just as one might call a file with the .wav extension a WAV file, I used a similar shorthand. Sorry for the confusion here.

One point tthat surprised me on the BIAB forum was the positive reference to Finale in one post. A glance at the Amazon reviews for the full-featured version of Finale shows a reviewer average of two stars out of five for the software, with the far right column (of recent reviews) headed by one-star reviews.

While I myself bought the better reviewed, cheaper (Printmusic) version of Finale, when I tried to play a .musx file with it, I learned that Printmusic would have to modify the file in order to play it. Not what I had in mind. To add needed features to Printmusic, e.g., Garritan VST sounds, I would have to spend more money.

As someone new to Finale, I do not have the seeming contempt for the company that long-time Finale clients display, but I can only say that if BIAB users want a Finale clone, they might be careful what they wish for. That said, however, full .musx functionality for BIAB (at some time in the future?) would have the advantage of allowing access to both Finale- and Sibelius-generated .musx files.

BTW .musx is not the only option of this sort. One alternative is the .not files used in programs such as Notation Composer, a German product that strikes me as pretty good. The key point is that, with Sibelius orphaned, there is a lot to be said for going with .musx.

In any event, for now it seems that I have two ways to use my .musx files. Either buy Garritan VST software or manually reenter those files into some alternative software platform.

In any case, thanks again for your responses.

Veteran
Veteran
I may and probably am, missing something.

What do you hope to do with this file inside Biab?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
E
OP Offline
E
Reply to John:

Thanks for your kind offer to look over one of my .musx files. I shall have to think over possible ramifications here. My main problem is that I dislike it when one person treats another as if the latter's time has a marginal utility of zero, and I want to be sure that I would not be treating you this way.

Specifically, I want to be confident that even if your effort were successful, it would meet the objectives I have for my material. The key here might be for me to email you regarding those objectives, but as I say, I've gotta do some thinking here.

That said, thanks again for your kind offer.

Best regards.

Veteran
Veteran
Easy2001 -

Offer still stands; I just wanted to give you an idea of what BIAB2016 could do for you. It might help you make up your mind. It would only take me a few minutes to load the file (Finale can read PrintMusic files), convert to XML, and then load that XML into BIAB.

BTW, Sibelius isn't really orphaned, it just has a new development team; however, it is now sold under a subscription model (but many apps seem to be going that way). I've got Sibelius 7, but chose not to upgrade.

I've got PrintMusic also, but it's an older version (2011 or 2012, I think). I stopped upgrading PrintMusic when I went for the full Finale.

You might also want to try looking at PreSonus Notion (they just released version 6). It's not free, but it does support XML and you can assign VSTi's to different staffs (staves?) within Notion (it comes with a number of its own sounds, but you can use your own VSTi's to use external sounds).

You could also try MuseScore (it's free and supports MusicXML).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
We should definitely try to find the exact combination of software to test. My experiments showed some problems introduced by the transfer.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: easy2001
Thanks for your responses. By MUSX files, I do indeed mean music XML files, which have the extension .musx. Thus, just as one might call a file with the .wav extension a WAV file, I used a similar shorthand. Sorry for the confusion here.

Be aware that BiaB by default will try to look for a file with the .XML extension, and not .musx.

You can change that though, and even use wildcards by setting a name of * or *.* in the Open File search filter.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi,

I googled "musx", and it appears to be the default file format for Finale 2014, not an XML file. Exporting the project from Finale as XML will likely be necessary before trying to open it in BIAB.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

E
OP Offline
E
Apologies for my original post are in order. My post asked what might be called a trick / stupid question about converting Finale musx files to BIAB xml files.

In the movie, "My Cousin Vinny," there's a trick question about a car that never existed. My own question about musx Finale files was a stupid / trick question in a related sense. As explained on the Finale / MakeMusic forum:

"musx is the file extension for Finale 2014. Not compatible with any other Finale product."

In other words, no one (BIAB staff included) can be expected to convert Finale files in ways that even Finale itself cannot achieve. This point is discussed in the thread at:

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=425101

The bottom line is that PG Music cannot be expected to be compatible with any specific Finale software. So my question was stupid.

As for alternative notation programs, see:

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/notational-alternatives-beyond-finale-and-sibelius/

As regards more technical notation-software extension details, see:

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/file-formats-0

Researching this stuff, including downloading and playing with notation software in Linux, I learned more about such matters than I ever wanted to know. Sorry to have wasted others' time as well with an ultimately stupid question.

E
OP Offline
E
Reply to jford and others regarding Finale / PrintMusic notation files:

Thanks for your many suggestions and offers of help. Please see my reply to Kent for an explanation of why my efforts here have in a way been stupid / misguided.

So far as I can tell, one Finale strategy for converting notation files from one format to another is to use SmartScore to create tif files, then convert the latter into Finale notation files. Another strategy is also discussed on the Finale users forum, so it is not as if I claim to have found some defect in Finale functionality here. But these are matters for the Finale, not the BIAB forum.

Just wanted to say thanks here for your forthcoming responses to my original question.

Veteran
Veteran
I would not use a scanned TIF file for this purpose when I could go direct. SmartScore will introduce some errors. I would use exported MIDI if I didn't need the chord info, or exported Music XML if I did.

Veteran
Veteran
Easy2001, the overwhelming majority of members on this forum would not consider any genuine question to be 'stupid'. Your question was absolutely reasonable, and as things progressed, the answers became clearer.

The inquiry was certainly not stupid by any stretch of the imagination.
Cheers
Trevor

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,142
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182