Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#369138 10/08/16 05:44 AM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I pray that all of our forum members and their families that are affected by hurricane Mathew are safe and sound.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #369140 10/08/16 05:56 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It gave us a miss by a few miles, just tropical storm winds. I hope Charlie's OK - I believe he's in Charleston. They're getting slammed.

90 dB #369196 10/08/16 02:43 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie is a number of miles inland from the coast and near the North Carolina / South Carolina state lines.

I spoke with him early this evening. His area lost electricity around sunset but he has a power generator and can retreat to a camper if electricity is not available for an extended time period. He has experienced some flooding due to rainfall. Some water intruded into a storage area and one room of his house. The weather service estimates his area has received a little more than 12 inches (305 mm) of rainfall. The rain is moving out and the wind is moving in. He has experienced mild wind gusts but the gusts are strengthening.

I'm sure Charlie will have more to say once electricity is restored. Who knows, he might even write a song about the experience.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
MarioD #369270 10/09/16 04:13 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We had some big gusts here, definitely well over hurricane force.

It did minor damage to my house, broke a couple of tree limbs down that were perhaps 8" in diameter, and hundreds of smaller ones joined the party.

We spend the day from 8AM until about 4:30 with shears, saws, axe, and plenty of man/woman-power cleaning it all up.

The worst part for us was having 3 gigs cancelled. Those one-nighters were our entire weeks wages.

The best part is we are safe and sound with only minor damage to our home.

So all is well.

I've been through a dozen or so of these, including one with gusts of 220 or 240mph (depending on who's estimate you believe) and I know how to prepare for one.

IF you live in a well constructed house that was built before they watered down the building codes in Florida, IF you live on high ground (for Florida), IF you have good storm shutters and/or panels, IF you live in the US, and IF you prepare properly, unless you are one of the unfortunate few, the chances of surviving are excellent. All of the above applies to us.

To put things in perspective, more people would have died on the road during the hurricane if there was no hurricane and the traffic was at the normal flow.

There are occasional small twisters that come with the storm, and in my lifetime only one spawned ones big enough to damage a well built home, and that was Andrew. They are all different, but Andrew was a must unusual storm because of the twisters.

Of course, things are different in some of the Caribbean Islands where there is no high ground, many buildings are not strong enough, and the infrastructure is bad. My heart goes out to them.

But fortunately for us, it was just another PITA hurricane.

I hope everyone else on this list in the past has at least as good luck as we did.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
MarioD #369389 10/10/16 07:51 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, same here, thoughts to those who had issues, and I hope any issues were minimal and easily resolved.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
MarioD #369403 10/10/16 09:26 AM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Our Thoughts and prayers are with them from everyone here at PG Music

Cheers,
Joe
MarioD #369406 10/10/16 09:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We had family and friends who had to evacuate from the Georgia coast. They are all good. Don't know about their property yet....all relatively minor considering what some have gone through. The numbers from Haiti are very sad.

MarioD #369480 10/11/16 03:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm back.....

We lost power around 3:15 pm on Saturday. It was out for close to 60 hrs.... give or take. Once you get over 48hs, it doesn't really matter much.

We had 8" of rain here in central NC. Some areas around us got twice that. NC is once again on the news because areas that flooded in Floyd are once again under water with Matthew. In fact, several rivers are several feet higher this time. All the normal places flooded, and there's some new areas getting slammed.

We had rain and a brush with the tropical storm force winds but nothing really major. Neither of my houses nor the farm had any damage and no trees down. I was actually hoping that one tree at the farm in particular would come down so I could rid myself of it and get some fire wood..... but it stood tall.

As soon as the power went out, we lost cable, internet, and phones. Since there's sketchy, at best, cell service or 4G here in Sims, I had little contact with the outside world except for my ham radios. I managed to keep abreast of the conditions through that. Texting got out to my daughters and family.

The new rain gutters on my shed worked wonderfully to keep the water out of the building. Gutters rock.

Power came on late yesterday evening..... and life is getting back to normal. We still have some streets flooded so getting around the town of Wilson takes some time. There's a 50 mile section of HWY 95 closed due to flooding from a dam breach. From Lumberton up to Fayetteveille as of yesterday. That major interstate is closed in both directions. We also have a section several miles long of interstate 264 closed due to flooding in a low lying area where it goes through a swamp.

To keep up with the news, I had to rig an antenna to get TV stations and hear the news.

anyway... back to work today.... TTYL.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
MarioD #369514 10/11/16 07:13 AM
Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Wow, that sounds crazy, Herb... glad to hear that you're safe and sound! (Three cheers for well-maintained gutters!) Glad everything is OK for you too, Notes, and anyone else hit by the storm.

Will - PG Music
MarioD #369618 10/12/16 02:03 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I'm back too. In great shape compared to many around me. It looks a bit like martial-law with the national guard but believe me, it's just the opposite- They have been guardian angels. Our local fire/rescue as well.

Our small town of 400 required over 150 needing rescue from the fast rising river. The next town up the river is also completely flooded. We watched the helicopters from our house during the rescue operation. My wife and I were in Nichols less than an hour before the waters rose to impassable levels...

Our local churches working with Hearts With Hands organization have been delivering food and supplies the last few days. The semi-truck delivery due last night could not get into the area due to blocked/flooded roads and is currently stuck in Wilmington, NC 75 miles away.

I'm aware of one death near me, just over the NC state line where a man exited his truck and was swept away and drowned. That occurred just a few miles away from where my elderly aunt lives in an assisted living home who had to be rescued from rising waters.

Thanks to you guys who thought about me and kept my family and myself in prayer.

We had flooding in one room in the house and my new detached garage had 14" of water. Fortunately, the slab is 6" and reduced the level inside to 8".

Musically, stored in the garage there was damages to an antique organ, two old electric guitars, my best marshall amp, brother Jim's Sony Reel to Reel and a karaoke amp/player. I hauled away a pickup truck load of just old stuff yesterday.

The good news is undamaged was a complete Mackie PA system - two powered tops, sub and mixer, a 16 channel 100' snake, an 8 channel headphone amp, my best Behringer condenser mic, Two Presonus Eureka channel strips, a backup Desktop computer, an older guitar amp and my Tascam DP-24.

Again, thanks for the prayers and concerns.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
MarioD #369628 10/12/16 03:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good to hear you are safe Charlie.

Speaking of crisis like this, I just added a musical gear plan to my Allstate Home Owners insurance. Hearing about all of these disasters, I want to make sure it's all covered if I got hit.

Once I put all my music stuff on a spreadsheet and took pictures I was surprised at all the crap I've accumulated over the years.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
MarioD #369637 10/12/16 04:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Charlie, Notes and Herb. That sounds hectic! Glad there were no personal injuries though. Isn't Pat also in NC and Floyd in Florida?

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
MarioD #369643 10/12/16 05:01 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hurricanes are something we deal with in Florida as many northern places deal with blizzards.

I was in Michigan's UP many, many years ago and a blizzard came trough with hurricane force winds (75mph) tons of snow, and -35 degrees F on the back side. People froze to death in their cars. We don't have those in Florida.

We don't have earthquakes, volcanoes, giant mid-west tornadoes (we do have occasional small twisters), tidal waves, and plenty of other natural disasters. But along with the rest of the east and gulf, we have hurricanes. The last destructive one we had was in 2014.

Unless you are a new "transplant" and have been taken advantage of by a sleazy, greedy developer, you should live in a hurricane resistant house. That means not one built with 2x4s and not one with an asphalt shingle roof. These used to be against the building code when I was young, but "our" representatives caved in to the demands of huge housing developers.

Also, if you move to Florida, look at the vegetation where you buy. If there are no natural pine trees (slash or sand) in the area, expect to be flooded during the storm, and the water generally does more damage than the wind. Without the pines, you bought in reclaimed swamp land.

Also, as much as I'd love to live on the ocean, buying on one of the barrier islands is asking for trouble.

Given you live in a hurricane resistant home and on high ground, you are probably very safe. Of course there are freak exceptions.

We had some minor damage to the house, estimate is $270 to repair, and we lost 3 gigs. So it cost us in money.

My heart goes out to those who lost more than that.

Matthew is gone, Nicole is headed to Bermuda (hang tight Bermudans) and sooner or later another one will be along.

If one comes your way, prepare early, and if you are on low ground or a barrier island, find a shelter for the duration.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: sslechta

Speaking of crisis like this, I just added a musical gear plan to my Allstate Home Owners insurance. Hearing about all of these disasters, I want to make sure it's all covered if I got hit.

Once I put all my music stuff on a spreadsheet and took pictures I was surprised at all the crap I've accumulated over the years.

That's a good thing to do. I was an Allstate Large Loss Homeowners Claims Adjuster for 33 years. I saw a lot of cool gear lost to fire, wind and water.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
MarioD #369660 10/12/16 06:33 AM
Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Wow, that sounds crazy, Charlie. Good to hear that you're safe! Really happy to hear that the NG and local services have been helpful, too.

Will - PG Music
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta

I did the same thing. If you are not playing out then the insurance cost is very reasonable, at least up here. If you are playing out then you are considered a professional and the cost is much higher. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So relieved and happy to hear you guys are all okay!

MarioD #369777 10/13/16 02:09 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks Will & PGMusic and Josie. It's improving here daily. The rivers are expected to crest by tomorrow so nearby areas should start to see improvement over the weekend.

MarioD - "I did the same thing. If you are not playing out then the insurance cost is very reasonable, at least up here. If you are playing out then you are considered a professional and the cost is much higher. YMMV"

A bit off-topic but relevant to people who may have been affected by Hurricane Mathew.

Exactly. The insurance policy interprets a vast difference between the risk and liability of "in my home for personal/private use with friends and family" from "taking my gear out, getting paid, having employees and/or clients."

Having a loss determined to be a 'business' can be costly and devastating the same as suffering 'flood' damage with no Flood Policy. It's possible for someone to define their music gear and time as a hobby but find the policy defines their actions to be a business. There are policy limits and exclusions that could apply if that occurs.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/13/16 02:12 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
The good news is undamaged was a complete Mackie PA system - two powered tops, sub and mixer, a 16 channel 100' snake, an 8 channel headphone amp, my best Behringer condenser mic, Two Presonus Eureka channel strips, a backup Desktop computer, an older guitar amp and my Tascam DP-24.

That double neck that I am going to steal from you if I ever make it south is okay though, right?

Seriously I am glad it was no worse than it was. And that goes for all of you who were exposed. I was close to a tornado one time, and never been near a hurricane, though when Ike went through Texas about 8 years ago we got residual winds all the way up here. We had gusts hit 80, unheard of where I live. I remember having my dog outside. She was very young then and very light, and when she tried to go to the bathroom the wind blew her over. She stood up and looked at me like "What the heck is THIS now?" I literally had to hold her upright. And that was just 80 mph gusts. You guys that have seen 200.... no thanks.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
MarioD #394041 02/03/17 03:31 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
LOL Eddie. You can not imagine how many times I've heard that question since October....
yes, the guitar is fine and still available for your theft attempt .... Albeit you having a successful attempt is much more difficult than before.....

Four months ago when this discussion first made its rounds, not much was actually known or understood of the total devastation of the flood of Nichols.

Back in October it was known that less than 20 residences in the town were liveable after the flood waters receded. Outside town limits, entire communities as well as rural homes, businesses and churches were destroyed.

Today, only 15 homes have been repaired and occupied. Of 22 businesses, only 5 have reopened and that is likely all that will attempt to return. Only a couple of the seven town churches can have services in their buildings at this time. Churches that occupied buildings on a rental basis will likely have to or have already relocated because owners did not have flood insurance or have personal resources to rebuild.

To get an idea how seriously this area was impacted by the hurricane and flood. The state has received $65 million federal grant money and $52 million is designated to the small county where Nichols is located. This does not include the FEMA money already expended during the initial crisis.

It's my understanding from remarks made by our Senator and Representative that President Obama was personally involved in cutting through all the bureaucracy and making these funds available so quickly.

Sadly, it appears our small town's landscape is forever gone....

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 02/03/17 03:33 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,741
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191