Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
The Secrets of the Trees

NEW UPDATED VERSION - extra verse and outro synth. Now 3 minutes 6 seconds long.

This is a bit of a departure from my usual style of song which I originally wrote last year for the Coursera Song Writing course (highly recommended to others by the way). The inspiration for the song came from Pat Pattison’s song “Hobo Wind” which he uses on the course to demonstrate various song writing techniques.

I had a chord sequence in mind and wanted to create a spooky/mysterious feel (seems appropriate with Halloween around the corner). I auditioned many styles in BIAB before I found the perfect one (CRYSTAL1.STY).

For the original recording I pretty much used the track as it was from BIAB and just overdubbed vocals. This was fine for the purposes of the course. However, I always thought that I would revisit the song one day and produce a more complete version.

For the new version, I started by exporting all of the MIDI from BIAB and into Sonar. I do this in BIAB using the Save Special --> Save Song as MIDI file and then select the clipboard as the destination. I have tried other ways but this seems the most reliable. In Sonar I use a template for my vocals and guitar so I then use Paste Special (start from new track) to get the MIDI from BIAB into Sonar.

Here’s a summary of what I then added/changed/updated (feel free to skip to the lyrics if you aren’t interested in these details):

Vocals – I re-recorded the vocals as the original ones were done with my old Audio interface and mic. I also recorded a short vocal of me saying “What is my secret?” for the “tree sound” near the end (see below). I recorded separate vocals for the “Climbing” part and applied the Eventide Quadravox (Jeff Schumacher - Echoes patch) to create the spacey woodland echoes.

Vocoder – I wanted to enhance the mysterious feel by using a vocoder for the vocals but didn’t like the sound using Vocalizer Pro. So I came across a free vocoder called mda TalkBox and immediately got the sound I wanted! The final vocal is a mix of normal vocal and vocoder sounds. I used Vocalizer Pro to make the “What is my secret” voice near the end sound “tree like”.

Alter Ego – I wanted to create a vocal sound for “woodland faires” in the middle section and used this free alternative to Vocaloid.

Drums – I tried using the MIDI from BIAB with various drum plugins (all of the ones that come with Sonar Platinum) but none of them sounded quite as good as the RealDrum so I kept that and just beefed it up a bit with Waves Maxxbass.

Tinkly synth – I found a nice patch in Hybrid (11 FM Bell - Bells) which has a pleasant airy feel to it. Only thing I changed was the release part of the ADSR envelope as it had a pitch mod making the pitch rise which caused pitch clashes.

Bass synth – I used Hybrid again, this time (03 Brassy - Poly Synths) patch.

Synth at end: Hybrid - Castanetichords patch

Strings and 12 string – I used SampleTank 3 patches for these.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Secrets of the Trees
Key=B , Tempo 80
Style is CRYSTAL1.STY (Crystal1 - 4/4 New Age Style)
BassCustom Synth is Hi-Q 082 01 Synth, Analog, 80sPad SampleTank.tgs
PianoCustom Synth is Hi-Q 005 01 Piano, Electric, Classic SampleTank.tgs
GuitarCustom Synth is Hi-Q 026 03 Guitar, Acoustic, 12 String SampleTank.tgs
StringsCustom Synth is Hi-Q 050 01 Strings, Ensemble, Movie SampleTank.tgs
Style MIDI Instruments are : Saw Wave Lead (82), Electric Piano (5), 26/1 12-Strings Guitar, GM2 Bank 1, Slow Strings (50),
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

RealDrums will be substituted :CountryEven16: a: Brushes b: Snare, HiHat

Secrets of the Trees © 2016
Lyrics:

So majestic and so strong,
King of all that you survey,
Leaves are blowing in the breeze,
Haunting with soliloquies,
Secrets of the Trees

Branches swaying overhead,
So ancient and so wise,
You must have witnessed many crimes,
Demons and altered paradigms,
Secrets of the Trees

Forest creatures gather round
Urging me to leave the ground
Ascending into the unknown
Reaching for the danger zone
Secrets of the Trees

Climbing
Climbing
Climbing

Now I stand above the world,
I understand and I observe,
I share unspoken memories,
I feel your strength, your energies,
Secrets of the Trees

Enjoy!
Rec

Last edited by Callie - PG Music; 10/25/16 03:53 AM.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It works for me. Congratulations.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Receder, Nice work! - I really dig the Vocoder sound, overall has a very fantastic vibe to this. well done! smile

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: edshaw
It works for me. Congratulations.

Thanks Ed, appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hello Receder, Nice work! - I really dig the Vocoder sound, overall has a very fantastic vibe to this. well done! smile

Hi Joe, thanks for the positive feedback. I hadn't used a vocoder in any songs before and spent ages auditioning presets before looking elsewhere.

Cheers
Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hi Receder,what an interesting track,excellent vocoder work and a quirky and charming yet eerie song,i was surprised it was so short but it worked out well,nice arrangement and well written,enjoyed it a lot.
Ricc.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Vocoders can be very powerful! - Native instruments has one i'm quite fond of called "The Mouth" which I've used in my own productions. Very intuitive and easy to use. Check it out here!: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/effects/the-mouth/

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Riccled
Hi Receder,what an interesting track,excellent vocoder work and a quirky and charming yet eerie song,i was surprised it was so short but it worked out well,nice arrangement and well written,enjoyed it a lot.
Ricc.

Thanks for stopping by to listen to my track and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I thought about adding another verse to make it a bit longer but decided to leave it as is.

Vocoders can be very powerful! - Native instruments has one i'm quite fond of called "The Mouth" which I've used in my own productions. Very intuitive and easy to use. Check it out here!: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/effects/the-mouth/

Hi Joe, Funny you should mention that as I almost bought it previously but just missed getting it when it was on a special deal. I figure I might wait until around Black Friday as there are often good deals to be had then and I now have more vocoders than I know what to do with smile

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Receder, its definately one of those "Wait to get it on sale" products for sure. I only picked it up when it was available for $50.00. - As another great trick, try running drums through vocoders, you can get some very interesting textures that way!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Receder,

This is a beautiful and very original composition. Very atmospheric too. The vocoder works great all around!
We will check out those VSTs you mentioned in your post.

Rob & Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Receder,

A very good song idea and I like the lyrics, chord progression and melody - moody and stately at the same time.
I`m not sure about the vocoder sound (- this is just my own discomfort with it from overexposure to Dr Who!)
You have put a lot of thought into the arrangement and it`s atmospheric - I loved the bridge with airy vocals and the overdubs of the tree voice works well.
I`m going to delve into your details on the production as there`s lots to learn there so thanks for that.

Robert

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Receder, its definately one of those "Wait to get it on sale" products for sure. I only picked it up when it was available for $50.00. - As another great trick, try running drums through vocoders, you can get some very interesting textures that way!

Thanks for this Joe. I notice that Vocalizer Pro which I also picked up in a sale (less than $20 I seem to recall) has quite a few drum presets so that should make for some interesting sounds.

Cheers
Rec

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Receder,

This is a beautiful and very original composition. Very atmospheric too. The vocoder works great all around! We will check out those VSTs you mentioned in your post.

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks Very much Rob and Anne-Marie for your kind comments which are much appreciated.

The TalkBox plugin is very basic but easy to use. You pan the vocal track hard left and the synth track hard right (I used a basic SAW patch) and feed them both to a bus with the TalkBox plugin as an insert effect. The plugin is part of a large bunch of free plugins which can be downloaded from here. I haven't tried any of the others but I did run Kaspersky and MalwareBytes on all of them just to be safe.

Thanks again,
Rec

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rec,

I'm glad that you have become a "regular" in the Showcase. Your music is so enjoyable to listen to. Always interesting. Very creative. Often thought-provoking... showing different sides of BIAB along the way...

This is excellent - for all those reasons. Nice mix, too.

The songwriting is just as creative and the instrumentation. All of the couples at lines 3 & 4 are inspired!

"Leaves are blowing in the breeze,
Haunting with soliloquies,..."

"You must have witnessed many crimes,
Demons and altered paradigms,..."

"I share unspoken memories,
I feel your strength, your energies,..."

The more listens, the better....

floyd

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Floyd,

Thanks so much for your very generous comments. I do enjoy spending time here listening to all great songs from the more established and professional BIAB songwriters like yourself to those just starting out. There's always something new and creative waiting to be discovered. The wealth of talent here also helps to inspire my own thought processes when writing.

I also hope to continue writing songs and putting them here for critique although I am nowhere near as prolific a writer as some of you so there may be quite long gaps between songs.

All the best,
Rec

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi rec
This is excellent! Very creative. I was very pleased to see your detailed explanation of how you got that great vocal. Well done and much enjoyed.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Really cool stuff here, Rec. Kinda reminds me of The Flaming Lips. I love the vocoder -- that's not a sound we hear around here too much! This is short but you get a lot out of those 105 seconds smile I love the deeper voice that comes in at the end. Was that pitch shifted down?

Will - PG Music
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi rec
This is excellent! Very creative. I was very pleased to see your detailed explanation of how you got that great vocal. Well done and much enjoyed.

Thanks a lot Joanne. I do appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. I'm also glad you enjoyed the explanation. I'm always worried that people will get bored if I write too much detail but then again others do like to see what was done (and I am a bit of a detail freak smile.

Thanks again,
Rec

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Really cool stuff here, Rec. Kinda reminds me of The Flaming Lips. I love the vocoder -- that's not a sound we hear around here too much! This is short but you get a lot out of those 105 seconds smile I love the deeper voice that comes in at the end. Was that pitch shifted down?

Hi Will,

Thanks for your kind words smile I do vaguely remember The Flaming Lips but just looked them up on YT and see what you mean! They must have somehow seeped into my psyche.

For my voice at the end, the patch I used in Vocalizer Pro (13 Hardcore Sounds - pad 4) includes a -1 octave pitch shift. I find many of the patches in Vocalizer Pro not much use for vocals but I nearly fell off the chair when I auditioned that one!

Cheers
Rec

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Receder,

A very good song idea and I like the lyrics, chord progression and melody - moody and stately at the same time.
I`m not sure about the vocoder sound (- this is just my own discomfort with it from overexposure to Dr Who!)
You have put a lot of thought into the arrangement and it`s atmospheric - I loved the bridge with airy vocals and the overdubs of the tree voice works well.
I`m going to delve into your details on the production as there`s lots to learn there so thanks for that.

Robert

Hi Robert and thanks very much for your encouraging comments. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the song.
Your comment about Dr Who made me laugh as I remember, as a child, hiding behind the sofa when the Daleks came on smile Although I think they used ring modulation for the Daleks' voice and vocoder for the Cybermen (equally terrifying).

Cheers
Rec

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: receder

Thanks for this Joe. I notice that Vocalizer Pro which I also picked up in a sale (less than $20 I seem to recall) has quite a few drum presets so that should make for some interesting sounds.

Cheers
Rec

Vocoders are a beautiful thing!

Cheers,
Joe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195