Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I just installed the 2016 update - first of all it keeps asking me to install pdf995 after i already installed it, and rebooted, etc. , several times.
So I cannot send the output to a PDF file.

secondly, when I asked for a preview I get a title with a totally black page where the chords ought to be.

third, when I print out the chord sheet directly, there is no title at the top.

Fourth, (and this is trivial) the slash marks dont appear in the first measure.

I guess they didn't bother to test this first (at least not with Windows 10) ?

Last edited by BillSincl; 10/21/16 06:23 PM.

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
Bill,

As an experiment (because it will help isolate your problem)....

1. close BIAB

2. right-click on BIAB's startup shortcut

3. select "Run As Administrator"

Now, when BIAB starts, try the printing and see how it goes.

Also...

When you say "I just installed the 2016 update", does this mean that you upgraded to BIAB 2016 from an earlier version of the program (say BIAB 2015) or that you've installed the latest update for an already-installed BIAB 2016?

If it's the latter, and the problem arose from updating to the latest build of BIAB 2016, simply download the previous build that you used from the link below. You'll be able to re-install this and it will revert to the previous build.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

(Please note, that with the above, I'm assuming that you've been running it fine on Windows 10 prior to this happening.)

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I'm not PG Music staff, so I cannot speak for them, but there are many people on the forums here who run BIAB in Windows 10 and it operates well. From what I see on the forum, the program has been very heavily tested in Windows 10. This is the first time that I've come across the problem you describe.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Well, I had BIAB 2014 with windows 10, but that had the same problem, so I thought perhaps the upgrade would cure it. But I see the same thing with BIAB 2016.

I also noticed some thing else weird - when I am playing a song, the first measure of the chord display gets "whited out." There again, a minor glitch, but I can help wondering why they didnt test this.

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the extra information, Bill.

When you tried steps 1, 2, 3 in my previous email, what happened?

Also...

...under "Help | About Band In A Box", see if the version is listed as 2016(438), if not, download build update 438 from the link below and install it.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Yes, I ran as administrator, did not make any difference.

Also noticed that the yellow alert panel has white text, which is impossible to read. I could not make the alert text another color.

I get the impression that they put this new version out without testing it for Windows 10 compatibility. So when people get Windows 10, they get this really nasty surprise.

When I went back and looked at the version, it says build 437. I thought I paid for the latest update. I guess it did not give me that?

Last edited by BillSincl; 10/22/16 01:49 PM.

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Bill.

As previously mentioned in my first post, a heap of people on the forum here use Windows 10 and it's not been a problem - although some people have had to update their device drivers once Windows 10 has been installed.

I've been around these forums for a long time now and I can't recall ever having seen the issues you are experiencing. I can appreciate how frustrating it must be for you.

Seeing that this happened with BIAB 2014 on Windows 10 and now BIAB 2016, it seems to me that it might be related to your hardwares' device drivers.

The first thing I'd check is to see if your video driver is the latest version for Win 10. Out-dated video drivers can create unusual behaviour.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
How would I check the video driver?

and how would I get the latest ones ?

I dont see this with any other app I am running on the same machine.

Actually, the video driver has nothing to do with printed output, which is also wrong.

Build 438 made no difference.

Last edited by BillSincl; 10/22/16 02:06 PM.

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
Bill,

The easiest and fasted way to get this solved is to contact PG Music Support directly. They are fantastic to deal with. There's a toll-free phone number found under the Support button at the top of this webpage (the link it below).

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.htm

When you find out what the solution, please post it here. Then there is a record in case this ever happens again to another user.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Well, I went to another computer that still had BIAB 2014 on it, but also had the Windows 10 upgrade.

I did not see any of those problems there. so I guess the moral is:

"DONT UPGRADE TO BIAB 2016 ! ! ! ! "

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
Bill,

I completely understand how frustrating this is. You mentioned in an earlier post that you also experienced the problem using BIAB 2014 on Windows 10 on the machine that is presently causing grief.

It's great that the program is working on your other machine. To my way of thinking, the fact that the two computers behave differently re-inforces that it might be a device driver problem.

I wish I could help further but the issue is too challenging for me to try and solve over the internet. It's definitely something that PG Music need to help with.

All the best.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bill, you've received some excellent advice from Noel, including the suggestion to contact PG Music Support. Your conclusion about BIAB version 2016 is contraindicated by the experience of others, so I respectfully suggest you work the problem further and let the company assist you.

You mentioned PDF995 in your first post, and this was reported by a few other users (but not all, for some reason). It is not necessary to install this. Although it is handy to have a menu option within BIAB, you have always been able to print to a PDF file from any version of Windows in the last 20 years by installing one of many available free PDF printer drivers (I use Cute PDF) and printing to that driver instead of a regular printer. Hope that helps.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Since I cannot get technical help on this issue, I should ask for a refund. How do I go about that ?

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
That would be PG Music Sales.

Please remember that this is not the place to get technical help from the company. We are only fellow users. What was your experience when you called PG Music Support and asked for help?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Bill, you've received some excellent advice from some of the best power users of this forum.

I sense your frustration at not having resolved this by now, but I can assure you that this issue is resolvable, and PG Music are probably the best people to assist you to quickly sort this out.

Please remember that we are all end users of the products and we assist each other with many issues, but PG Music are the product developers, and often are able to provide more detailed support than we can.

It was suggested several times that you contact PG Music directly. What was the result of that process? You did do that, didn't you?

It's probable that if the issue was with the product, then more people would have the issue. Yes?

The fact that it is more isolated possibly indicates a setting unique to your system. PG Music Support can more likely resolve for you.

Hang in there, and get them to help you. The company has an incredible reputation in assisting those who seek their help.

You need to help yourself to resolve rather than giving up.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Just call support and tell them you don't know what you are doing.... grin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,196
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185