Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Best of YouTube
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello Music Makers,

A short little video about our brain on music!

Pauline
PG Music Team

Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
Pauline,

Experts tell us that music is the only activity that exercises 100% of the brain. It has resulted in a legitimate medical field of Music Therapy. I've witnessed, first hand, the power of music in Alzheimer's, Dementia, and end-of-life hospice patients in my nursing home.

Donny

Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
My parents have spoke in front of US Congress on this topic multiple times.
Not bragging, as I didn't do it; they did.
Not saying I'm any kind of authority on the subject.
Just proud of my parents for doing this.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
rharv,

That's wonderful to learn. You can be extremely proud of your parents.

Bravo!

Donny

Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
rharv,
You can be extremely proud of your parents.

A lot of us don't think about it, but what if music was no longer considered important to schools around the country? Sports/music programs get cut from school budgets/curriculums every year.
Who do you know that would make the effort to get time in front of Congress to tell them music IS important.. and here's why?

This one just aspect of why I am proud of them that seemed related to the thread. There are many more.
There are SO many aspects as to how music helps the brain work .. and many studies to support.
I was very glad to see the OP.

Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
Here is a short (4:45 min) TED Talk supporting learning to play an instrument.

https://youtu.be/R0JKCYZ8hng

Donny

Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
For some reason, this thread brought back to mind something I wrote a while back. It is long, be forewarned. It may appear to ramble at times, but I think the point is pretty clear, once you read it. Music is good for the brain (thus related to the topic)

I know I'm exposing myself a bit here, but figured what the heck. I'm old now, who cares.
I never planned to be a writer anyway. The good parts (in my eyes) start in the 3rd paragraph ..

Music To My Ears

Asking a teenager to define music will result in an answer much different than asking a senior citizen. However, both will stand firm in their feelings about music. It is such a deep felt relationship that most people have a very defined opinion of what music is and what it is not. An explanation of “good music” has caused heated debates among friends and generations, yet it is one of the most refined, studied and precise arts. Then again, it is such a personal, emotional and creative form of expression to the listener.

There have been many attempts made at describing just what music is. It's been said that music is simply sound with a rhythm. Webster's Dictionary gets a little more abstract in their definition, saying it is “the combining of sound and tones as a form of artistic expression.” That definition, by their own extension would include “any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear.” What is pleasing to one person may not be so pleasing to another, but everyone holds music dear. Whether it is a particular love song or a reverent hymn, music and song is understood by all. The theory and components that make up music are often not understood by the listener. There are many performers of music who do not conscientiously understand it either, but there are many tasks, languages and math computations taking place in even the simplest of songs.

Music is a language. It is written in a structure that only those who know the language can decode. Reading music is very much like reading a foreign language that must be studied, practiced and then put into use in order to become fluent. There is a unique complexity to this language because while learning it, the only way to comprehend it is to put it into action. It is unique in that it requires physical action on the part of the reader. To learn to read the notes, or musical alphabet, the reader must be able to hear what each note is saying. This is always done with some kind of musical instrument in hand. As the notes are read, and then played, a relationship develops between the eyes, the ears, and the hands. This learning process is very reinforcing; if done incorrectly the result offends the readers ears. The mistake is evident and compels the reader to do it over again to get it right. It is also a language that can be learned by people of all countries and native tongues, then applied to allow a heartfelt communication and expression. An even more astounding aspect of this language is that it is not one that is meant to be expressed singly and in turn. People conversing in the language of music all express themselves at the same time to create a harmonic blend of sound and rhythm that moves not only the artists but also all those within hearing distance. These audience members often have little understanding of all the expression and simultaneous listening going on by the performers. It is a very complex language, spanning many styles, genres, and cultures, yet it is absolute and strict, requiring an outcome as precise as a math equation.

Maybe that's because music also incorporates math. The rhythm of music is based on a count and a flowing subdivision of that count happening in time. The waltz is based on a count of three. A march is often in a count of two. The overwhelming majority of music is based on a count of four. These basic counts, or beats, are then subdivided in smaller elements in groups of three or four. When the subdivision happens in three it is most likely a swing or shuffle style of song. The division of four is more common and strict, being used for most modern music in this country for the last fifty years or more. A musician, one who can read and express this language, is doing these math calculations instinctively while reading the music and performing on their particular instrument. There are many artistic music pieces that are written in what is called odd-time signatures. These pieces can have a basic beat count of five, seven, eleven or even nineteen beats that need to be subdivided over time.

That can add up to some pretty complex math. No wonder the human brain excels when this art is studied over time. So far music involves reading a written foreign language while doing continuous math calculations and taking an action that results in a pleasing sound. As they say in the infomercials- “but wait, there's more!”

As the study of music develops it becomes necessary for an artist to not only rigidly read what is written, but may also be required to improvise. This act requires a knowledge of the theory behind music. Note relationships, chord structures, and scale patterns are all necessary to become proficient at being a musician. The most amazing thing about the ability to improvise is that requires this knowledge to be put to use in anticipation of the next note. Every true musician knows that when the time comes to play a note is not the time to figure out what note needs to be played. The note will inevitably be either a wrong note or played late. Since music requires these subdivisions over time it is very evident when a note is not played at the right time. It's now understood that musicians are reading another language, doing math at the same time, and actually thinking ahead to the next note while performing on their instrument.

No wonder so many researchers have reached the conclusion that learning music can expand ones ability to learn other things, and musical therapy is being taught at more and more colleges every day to help those with learning disabilities. It also teaches a discipline of structure and practice that leads one to be diligent in getting the desired results through constant effort. The reward is that one precious possession everyone has: a favorite song.

Best of YouTube
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
That was the BIG POINT RHARV

I was trying to make and we are seconds apart ..how's that.

For opinion.

C'mon guys embrace newbies....I know you Think you do...But look Back on certain things. And we aint too old to learn.

You help them but never embrace them ..I know because I was that soldier.

It will all go with you guys ...?

SHOULD THERE NOT BE ANOTHER GENERATION.

Excuse the caps...
#

Get a grip stop the [*****] ..because you are a FRIENDLY bunch..

but you should critique songs as they are not family.

when I came on to this forum I listened and read ALL POASTS/SONGS.

H ow or why would you ever get better //or want to.

your a good bunch///don't spoil it///you can say //I would do this a better way or best leave the singing to someone else.

RIP pg music Forum And software.

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,778
Members38,502
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189