Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Hello everyone,

I have an awesome idea for a new product I would like PG Music to release....

The Band-in a Box sample library !

In the the sample library.....

1. I'd love to see all the intrstuments sampled to be the ones used by the artist recorded for the real treacks

2. All sampled instruments to be played by the same artisits recorded for the Real Tracks to ensure that every technique is captured to create a rich and full experience with your MIDI tracks.

3. One of the most important things for me. Have the sample library include it's own playback engine. I don't want to have to buy something like Kontakt 5 sololy for the use of a Band-in-a-Box sample libray.

What do I see the sample library as....?

The proposed sample library would allow the musician to explore and capture new ieads beyond what the Real Tracks and Real Drums capability at this point. The sample library would also allow PG Music to eliminate the need for the user to purchase a third party sample library. Finally, the sample library also allows the user to combine the MIDI supertracks play by the artist with the samples of the artists' instruments themself, creating a MIDI track version of the Real Tracks.

Now, what the propsed sample libray is not.....

1.A replacement for the Real Tracks[- The sample library will in no way elemutate the need for Real Tracks, but infact only help those musicans who wants to write out specfic parts theirself.

2. A cheep replacement of sampled instruments- Knowing PG Music's work with Real Tracks, if their where to create a sample library, I know they would be a lot of effort into to it to make sure that we would get the best samples as possible.

3. A replacement for Band-in-a-Box-Infact, It would infact be a way to help people Band-in-a-Box user further expand their use of Band-in-a-Box, while allowing support for third part DAWs and RealBand.

How would I obtain the sample library?

Obtaining the sample library would be that same as obtating Band-in-a-Box, except you would only get receive the samples in a hard drive just as are able to get all the real tracks. The advantage of having the hard drive is that I would like to see the plug in itself be able to load without the need to install it on your computer. If it would be possible I would like see the plugin work driectly with all major third party DAWs and RealBand with out the need for installation or support for iLok.

So, I hope I have clearly explained what I am looking for and hope that there is some possibility of this becoming a realilty.

P.S. This does not mean that you would not have the option to use your own sample library.

Last edited by Islansoul; 10/25/16 07:17 AM.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
SFG Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Sorry to sound like a pessimist .., but I personally don't think PG have got what it takes to even create a sample library
.., Just look at the audiophile version of BIAB , it's still in 16 bit when sample library creators (and even amateur home studio users) have been using the industry standard 24 bit for 20 years already, that to me alone speaks volumes.

A lot of work goes into creating libraries and you get what you pay for, and I have not found one yet that is a good all-rounder for everything , as they all fit into a mix differently depending on the the given situations .

I'd personally just be happy to SEE BIAB continue to do what it already, but to lift the game of their top tier product (audiophile BIAB) version into the 20th century .., with better efficiency, usability, and fidelity ...., like 24 bit etc on a 64 bit platform would be nice , and maybe clean up its messy kindergarten looking GUI a bit more .

As for Kontakt , thats just a sample player (mostly) that 3rd party creators use as a great host. It's not expensive to buy and there is an excellent range of 3rd party libraries available. It's sort of a staple really..., just my 2 bobs worth wink

Last edited by SFG; 10/25/16 07:51 AM.

My Specs
Computer : Mac Pro (late 2013) - OS Yosemite 10.10.5
Processor : 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory : 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics : AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Interface : Avid Mbox 3 Pro
DAW : Pro Tools 12.6.0 (64 bit AAX)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Pretty good idea and nice idea presentation.

Many RealDrums files have "one shot" samples at the end of the file. This nice thing about these samples are they are from the same recording as the rest of the file so they match the sound of the drums in the recording.

Some users create custom fills by programming a few bars of midi, insert a sample player such as the free ++ tx16wx ++ sampler, load up the one shots and have a custom drum fill.

While I like your idea I'm not sure it is practical. Each guitar and bass library from a software company like ++ Amplesound ++ typically is more than 5 GB in size.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
SFG Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
While I like your idea I'm not sure it is practical. Each guitar and bass library from a software company like ++ Amplesound ++ typically is more than 5 GB in size.

Exactly, which is why these 3rd party libraries get our dollars..,

.., ie; because not only are they far more customisable , but the detail is there .., for example I have a piano - (52 GB library) just for its 'one patch', but it has 21 ' accurately applied' (ie; not guessed) velocity layers , 10 randomly applied round robins , long note tails that you never hear get cut off or faded out if a note is held, High resolution Samples , and 6 different studio mic selection options to pick and blend from .

Whenever I go back to the 'factory type' pianos and compare (eg; UVI, Kontakt, Sampletank 3 factory libraries , or the libraries that come with DAWS etc) all I hear is a one dimensional bland lifeless Mr Robot piano (even after they try to cover up that fact by drenching them with reverb) .

This is just one example .., I have 2 huge Piano libraries (like the example described in the 1st paragraph) with both libraries representing the same brand of piano .., yet those 2 different libraries offer very different textures with one that will sit better in a rock / pop mix, and the other being more suited for orchestration , classical etc,

.., and were not talking about EQ settings here , The texture I am talking about derives from the actual body of the sound,

- created from the brand of mics used ( ie: each offering their unique sound from their brand and the individual positioning that mic ) ,
- the rooms vibe from the studio, the individuality / touch of the engineer / producer ,
- the pre-amps and console that was used, outboard gear .., ie; all this combined to created that texture wink

.., and thats an example just for a piano library - then we have ALL those other instruments with similar considerations which is why that market exists.

For this detail and realism - I don't mind paying and would never expect this kind of detail to be included in a factory library .

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: SFG
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Exactly, which is why these 3rd party libraries get our dollars..,

.., ie; because not only are they far more customisable , but the detail is there .., for example I have a piano - (52 GB library) just for its 'one patch', but it has 21 ' accurately applied' (ie; not guessed) velocity layers , 10 randomly applied round robins , long note tails that you never hear get cut off or faded out if a note is held, High resolution Samples , and 6 different studio mic selection options to pick and blend from .

Whenever I go back to the 'factory type' pianos and compare (eg; UVI, Kontakt, Sampletank 3 factory libraries , or the libraries that come with DAWS etc) all I hear is a one dimensional bland lifeless Mr Robot piano (even after they try to cover up that fact by drenching them with reverb) .

This is just one example .., I have 2 huge Piano libraries (like the example described in the 1st paragraph) with both libraries representing the same brand of piano .., yet those 2 different libraries offer very different textures with one that will sit better in a rock / pop mix, and the other being more suited for orchestration , classical etc,

.., and were not talking about EQ settings here , The texture I am talking about derives from the actual body of the sound,

- created from the brand of mics used ( ie: each offering their unique sound from their brand and the individual positioning that mic ) ,
- the rooms vibe from the studio, the individuality / touch of the engineer / producer ,
- the pre-amps and console that was used, outboard gear .., ie; all this combined to created that texture wink

.., and thats an example just for a piano library - then we have ALL those other instruments with similar considerations which is why that market exists.

For this detail and realism - I don't mind paying and would never expect this kind of detail to be included in a factory library .

I was not talking about a generic sample library but something that was ment to be used for the musician who needs to write parts out for tracking. I don't need to compose for an orchestra or a jazz band, but it would be nice to have some quailty string, horn, woodwind and percussion sounds that fit the BIAB idea.

music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"2. All sampled instruments to be played by the same artists.."
That would cost a lot more for the artist to hang around recording samples than PG doing it themselves with the same instrument, and have their own PG sample player vsti.
Like Shots n Holds they are just played with the same instrument by someone at PG I would say as they were an added features after realtracks.
Having Direct Input guitars is good as I can get a RealTracks artist to play most then use the same DI guitar in Kontact to create the solo I need. You can use something like https://www.kvraudio.com/product/redshift-pickup-replacer-by-acmebargig
to get the same tone.
Yes have a PG RealInstruments sample library created from the existing RealTrack Instruments.
This way you can fill in sections that the RealTracks could not give you yet play seamlessly.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
"2. All sampled instruments to be played by the same artists.."
That would cost a lot more for the artist to hang around recording samples than PG doing it themselves with the same instrument, and have their own PG sample player vsti.
Like Shots n Holds they are just played with the same instrument by someone at PG I would say as they were an added features after realtracks.
Having Direct Input guitars is good as I can get a RealTracks artist to play most then use the same DI guitar in Kontact to create the solo I need. You can use something like https://www.kvraudio.com/product/redshift-pickup-replacer-by-acmebargig
to get the same tone.
Yes have a PG RealInstruments sample library created from the existing RealTrack Instruments.
This way you can fill in sections that the RealTracks could not give you yet play seamlessly.

Thanks for the plugin but I use a Mac.

music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can use something like https://www.kvraudio.com/product/redshift-pickup-replacer-by-acmebargig
to get the same tone. http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Redshift&id=2408

"Thanks for the plugin but I use a Mac."

There are a few vst wrappers, try this one https://sourceforge.net/projects/wacvst/?source=navbar
I will try to get on the Mac later and try a few.

If needed 32>64 you can use JbridgeM https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/

It will also work with MacBB
Added: Support for jBridge has been added. If you have jBridge installed, then you can load a 64bit VST plugin in Band-in-a-Box.

Last edited by Pipeline; 10/29/16 11:09 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
SFG Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
There are a few vst wrappers, try this one https://sourceforge.net/projects/wacvst/?source=navbar
I will try to get on the Mac later and try a few.

If you havent tried it yet I highly recommend : Patchbay , by Blue Cat Audio

.., it is a VST and an AU wrapper / HOST (including VST3) .., and works either as a plugin , and it also offers itself as a VST STANDALONE Version

(note: the plugin is also in AAX if you use Pro tools)

The beauty of the VST Standalone Version is you can run any Virtual Instrument or V.I Plug-in inside of PATCHBAY, and also with the most simple, or complex chain of your favourite 3rd party PLUG-IN FX to run with it ..., all without needing to open a CPU hogging, latency inducing DAW (this allows you to leave you expensive computer at home, and take the cheap old crappy one to the gig) wink

This setup it is perfect for playing in LIVE situations also ..., where you can 'save' whatever you have loaded into it at the time 'as a PRESET'
..., then once loaded , you can then load up more 'ideal settings' you desire in PATCHBAY , and save them as presets also (that might be the settings for the next song on your set list - or even the change from a verse to a chorus etc , within the set list)

By saving all these situations as presets within PATCHBAY (with as many presets as you like) ....., and you can easily switch / toggle between these presets in seconds (on stage or in the studio) by using a simple midi switching 'floor stomp box'

FX can be loaded either in series or in parallel with as many as you desire .., and there are so many other uses also .., versatility well worth the small asking price thats for sure.

(Blue Cat Audio also offer a FREE plugins bundle , that are also very good)
(for other free plug-in bundles.., also check out MELDA Productions)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Patchwork is good, don't know if it will load a Win VST in Mac, haven't tried it on the Mac yet.
Biab lacks things that other audio apps have so I try to find free workarounds to solve these problems otherwise you end up spending too much. Like I just had to buy the ReWire VST that wasn't a freebie but the MiniHost and midiOut to midi clock sync Biab to another app are free.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193