Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
A
AlbertS Offline OP
OP Offline
A
hi all

I bough a MacBook Pro in August, installed Sierra when it became available and bought the BiaB Mac version (cross swap). The Finder gets extremely slow. I erased disk and reinstalled, same result. I wondered whether BiaB could have anything to do with this? Was adaptation for BiaB to Sierra needed? Or is it still needed? I don't know, just asking the question, trying to resolve my Finder speed problem that makes the MacBook Pro not usable ...

Looking forward to other experiences with BiaB under Sierra

thanks already

-----
AlbertS

AlbertS

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello AlbertS,

The installation of Band-in-a-Box shouldn't have any affect on how other applications on your computer are running as long as you have sufficient hard drive space to run the program comfortably.

However, if you are experiencing issues with Band-in-a-Box on a Sierra OS, you may want to ensure you are running the latest build 146 which you can download and install from here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_macintoshupdates.htm#2016_146

Last edited by Alyssa - PG Music; 11/17/16 07:32 AM.

Alyssa - PG Music
A
AlbertS Offline OP
OP Offline
A
thanks Alyssa

I indeed installed the latest version and it doesn't make a difference. I guess it is not a BiaB problem but something else .. Was just wondering whether somebody else had the same problem.

thanks for the quick reaction!

ciao, Albert

AlbertS

w Offline
Expert
Expert
Hi Albert,

Are you running macOS Sierra 10.12.1 the most current version ?

It is always a good idea to run Apple's Disk Utility to repair the hard drive on a regular basis. Click on First Aid and then click on Run.

In addition it's well worth the money to purchase Disk Warrior 5 ( http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ ).

A couple of quick solutions to help a sluggish Finder is to restart your Mac or Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key.
To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

What is safe mode?

Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening. Starting your Mac in safe mode does the following:

Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
Loads only required kernel extensions
Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
Disables user-installed fonts
Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Together, these changes can help resolve or isolate issues related to your startup disk.

I find that it is better to not load ( that is run ) too many applications at the same time. Which means if i want to work with Band in a Box ( plus the plug-ins ) then that's all i run: just Band in a Box. My iMac has 12 GB RAM.

Hope this helps you. Let us know how you make out with your sluggish Finder.

D
D
Hi, I'm new on this forum, and to BIAB, so if this is the wrong place to post this, my apologies. Couldn't figure out where to post it. I recently loaded Mac Sierra on my Mac Pro laptop. Everything seemed to work great prior to this change.

Now In BIAB the chord highlight, showing the current chord of the song, is randomly out of sync, jumping around and stalling out. Very frustrating and making BIAB almost unusable.

Also I have BIAB 2016 Everything for Mac. I was hoping this would have alot of songs from the jazz Real /Fake books, I can't find but just a few?

Thanks for any help.

w Offline
Expert
Expert
Hi Dhub,

you may find this interesting/helpful

http://osxdaily.com/2016/10/04/macos-sierra-slow-fix/

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
"Now In BIAB the chord highlight, showing the current chord of
the song, is randomly out of sync, jumping around and stalling out."

I also noticed this yesterday during a performance.

Here is some background information.

12/14/16 I upgraded Mac OSX to 10.12.2, Sierra.
I am using BIAB ver.146.

12/19/16 after upgrading OSX I went to an Apple genius bar and had run software to have my computer wiped clean of any malware.

12/20/16 during live performance I noticed several times that the measure highlighted was out of sync with the chord progression that was being played.

I perform about 2-3 times a week and this has not happened before.
So yes I do believe that somewhere along the line BIAB and Sierra are not getting along nicely.

Last edited by jazzsax; 12/21/16 12:37 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I had long standing issues regenerating realtracks (truncated files), also with the bar highlight and with the small pop up mixer being too slow to use. I resolved or reduced these issues by installing a memory manager (Dr Cleaner). After upgrading to Sierra I've noted an overall slower performance however this issue is also apparent with software other than biab - even with Apple's own Logic Pro.

D
D
After I changed over to Sierra OS.

Now In BIAB the chord highlight, showing the current chord of the song, is randomly out of sync, jumping around and stalling out. Very frustrating and making BIAB almost unusable.

This is the only problem I have seen with Sierra, all other programs are working fine. It does it on every song I try to play in BIAB. Sometimes the chord highlight stalls out/ freezes for 5 or 6 measures. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Maybe a complete fresh install?

Thanks

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
This seems to be happening too many times to be considered as isolated instances. PG doesn't seem to have any other response other than update to build 146. I looked up specs. on El Capitan and Sierra and Sierra takes up less memory so it would seem that is not the cause.
Janice & Bud, I am leery about running Dr. Cleaner memory manager, there are too many complaints.
In performance I rarely look at the computer screen so I will put up with the annoyance but it should be corrected.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzsax
.Janice & Bud, I am leery about running Dr. Cleaner memory manager, there are too many complaints.
In performance I rarely look at the computer screen so I will put up with the annoyance but it should be corrected.

When I was researching memory cleaners I read articles that ranged from they are a complete scam to they have some degree of effectiveness. Many reviews suggested that they are redundant with functions built into the OS. Below is a quote that lead me to keep mine installed.

"Despite their shortcomings, memory-cleaning programs do have some advantages. For instance, they can help identify programs with suspected memory leaks. If for the most part your programs use a small amount of memory but one or two suddenly use a large amount of RAM and will not relinquish it, then one possibility is that the program may have a "memory leak." This is where RAM is continually reserved but never released by the program so its footprint grows and grows until there is no more RAM to use."

I have 20g RAM and when I have my issues I typically have biab, Logic and a host of Izotope plug-ins running. Given the complexity and size of the Izotope programs and that I run multiple instances of them simultaneously perhaps a "leak" is occurring. Dunno. But the memory cleaner does make noticeable difference. Of course that should compel me to do a few quick studies to time what I perceive as differences. I may be blowing smoke smile

Bud

J
J
Same issue. BIAB now is almost unuseable. TEch Supp no help.

Last edited by juangringo; 12/30/16 06:43 AM.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Let me add to the discussion by saying that I also have an older 2007 MacBook as a backup. It is also running BIAB build #146. I use it for most of my non music but when using BIAB it runs flawlessly. It is running OSX 10.7.5, El Capitan whereas the newer computer giving me problems is running the newer OSX 12.12.2, Sierra.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We are working to resolve any compatibility issues with Sierra and will post an update here as soon as we can.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
"We are working to resolve any compatibility issues with Sierra......"
Andrew, does this mean that you are noticing some of the issues we are experiencing?
Also today while performing BIAB "unexpectedly quit".
This the first time it has ever quit during a performance EVER. As always when I play, my set list was in jukebox mode and fortunately It crashed while loading a song. I restarted and made it through the set.
I am so desperate that I am pulling the hard drive out and installing another with El Capitan.

D
D
Another "feature" I'm seeing with BIAB and Sierra is I hit play nothing happens hit it again nothing etc. then finally the song will start in the middle of the song. Any one else seeing this?

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
"hit play nothing happens…then finally the song will start in the middle of the song"

Yes, Yes, Yes, Absolutely experiencing this also.

In addition trying to adjust sliders, mute/solo functions in the mixer section is not responsive while a song is playing. I usually get the spinning beach ball and nothing changes or changes happen after a long delay.

F
Journeyman
Journeyman
F
Probably BiaB still uses some old code (Carbon API) which is no longer supported from Apple.
If so, rewriting will be a major task.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I literally was going out the door for a gig yesterday when I saw the email announcing build 148.
I installed it this morning and it seems to have corrected the problems I have been having. No more cursor 2-3 measures behind and no more unresponsive mixer.
thanks PG, thanks Andrew

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi

please tell me what's going on??????

Build 148????

I am stuck with build 146 and I think this is the only and the latest officially PgMusic Mac release....

Please correct me if I am wrong!

I muri sono creature... scontrose
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195