Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If you use backing tracks in your live gigs I would love to hear how you handle chords and lyrics. Do you learn them off by heart? Do you have an iPad app with timed scrolling, or do you use use good old pieces of paper? Here is the method that I use.

How I use scrolling chords and lyrics

I would love to hear your methods.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Learn the song.

Plain and simple, you should have all the songs for a live gig learned to the point that you do not need to have scrolling lyrics and chords. If you use that method, it's easy to make it a crutch and rather than interacting with the audience, making eye contact, you are glued to the screen.

I don't play live anymore, but when I did, we had a set list of the songs generally laying by the floor monitors. If there was a new song on the list, perhaps I would write the first word of each verse as a reminder. Beyond that, no, the song was supposed to be committed to memory by the point we took it in front of the audience.

I see some of the big stars are using teleprompters that scroll the lyrics. And I guess, if I was on a stage being broadcast nationally, I might want that too, but then again..... The band supporting the artist knows, and when they see it happen, they are in rescue mode immediately. Unlike BB or some other pre-programmed song, the band can loop as long as they need to until the artists picks it up again. Have you ever seen an artist stop singing in a song and smile at the audience, or say a few words? Most likely, you saw a professional handle the forgotten words like a pro. The audience saw a "special, personal moment" with the artist, not a mistake.

There's a certain connection to the audience that happens when you blow your lines live. It's really not a bad thing, and a pro can handle it in a way that the majority of the audience didn't even know it happened. Everyone forgets the lyrics once in a while. I'd do one of two things.... either I make up lyrics until I get to the place where I remember the correct ones.... or I stop and while the music is playing, tell the audience I thought they were singing this verse. Doing either of those things makes the audience think it was intentional and not simply a forgetful moment on your part.

So regarding your live gigs with background tracks.... learn the chords and learn the lyrics.

If you forget the chords, stop playing... you have a full band behind you. Pick up again when you know where you're at.
If you forget the lyrics... chances are it's in a verse. No one forgets the lyrics to the chorus unless they are falling down, knee crawling drunk.... in which case you should be on stage anyway unless you're George Jones.... So just lay out for the balance of the verse.... come back in on the chorus. Chances are no one will really notice or say anything about it.

Been there, done that, and survived.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We have 550 songs, which are way too many for me to memorize.

The ones we do often of course are memorized, but especially the ones that only come out every couple of months need help.

Also, while playing with backing tracks, someone can come up while you are playing/singing and make a request or some other conversation to disturb the flow. The backing track goes on and on though. So by having the words or music chart in front of me, when I hear a cue in the music, I can get back on track easier.

So I keep two laptops on stage, one to play the backing tracks and the other for a 'cheat sheet'.

For lyrics I just use Windows WordPad, for music I use an old copy of Encore.

More details on how I make backing tracks and use them on stage can be found here:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb. Thanks for taking the time to type such a detailed response and I totally take your point if I am putting on what I would call a "show" where someone has paid money to come and see me perform. It's the "other" types of live gigs where I would use scrolling lyrics (such as coffee houses, private functions, farmers markets and even live streams).

Could I ask if you were playing at one of these types of venues and somebody asked for a song that is in your repertoire but that you haven't played in over two years what you would do?

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent description Notes, thanks. Great advice for those intending to follow your footsteps, and to make sure that any problems of the past aren't repeated.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Use whatever tools you need to have a good performance! If you use a prompter you just need to get good at using it; great public speakers give amazing speeches that sound from the heart and spontaneous even though they are on a prompter!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I've never used music or lyric sheets live. Everything is memorized. I keep notebooks with chords and lyrics of all my songs and can sit down and review a song on a break, but no way am I going to perform a song on stage if I'm not pretty sure I can perform it without thing falling apart on me.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Use whatever tools you need to have a good performance! If you use a prompter you just need to get good at using it; great public speakers give amazing speeches that sound from the heart and spontaneous even though they are on a prompter!

Yes J x 3. I just learned that Bruce Springsteen uses one! Edited to add: to us it all looks very sponateous if someone calls out a song and he actually plays it! I read that he expects the E street band to know it ( after all they have spent years playing the pubs) but he has a very nifty tele prompt operator who quickly brings up the lyrics.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 11/18/16 04:54 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper

Could I ask if you were playing at one of these types of venues and somebody asked for a song that is in your repertoire but that you haven't played in over two years what you would do?

This happened often in our shows. Especially when we were the house band in a club for two and a half years. Often several times a night.

Our response to the request was often dependent on a number of factors. There were times when we would look at the request, and then usually, say something like we'll get your requests in the next set or there were times where we'd drop that song into the set we were in right then and there. We also had no problems telling the person that we didn't know that particular song. If we were going to attempt it, we'd work it out in the dressing room.

If the song was old and we hadn't played it in a very long time, we'd discuss it backstage between sets, and if it seemed easy enough to pull off, we'd attempt it and let the chips fall where they may. Repeat a verse if we couldn't remember them all or cut it short. We didn't do that very often. The usual response to a song we weren't sure of was.... sorry, we don't know that song, how about if we do (song title) for you instead?

In fact, I can recall a number of times in one of the other bands I was in, getting a song request that I had never heard before..... but the drummer and bass player knew it from way back in former bands. The bass player would tell me what kind of groove.... start it like such and such a song, that we did know..... and then he would call out any "off normal" chords. I was extremely good at playing by ear and could anticipate chords easily. We'd pull that song off like pro's and at times we'd even add it to our regular set list.

Essentially, we'd do what we had to do in the circumstances. No rules, just get the job done and make the audience happy. Happy audiences come back to see you again.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
I try to memorise chords and lyrics, particularly if I'm playing live or acoustic. I sometimes have my folder on the music stand to pick songs and as moral support!

When I'm on-line I have been using a folder on an out of sight music stand for my material as some of the material is not memorised yet. Also, I have pre-programmed solos, guitar patches and vocal patches in the BIAB backing tracks, so my folder has notes on that. I find with BIAB doing so much work for me, I can get away with playing stuff I know less well. Live, I need the eye contact etc.

Now I'm moving away from the folder to just BIAB. Check out the jpgs below for how I have my screen now in BIAB.

I don't use the last screen, but I may in the future. Full Screen Chord Sheet View on the Window Screen or [Ctrl T]

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
screen.jpg (328.19 KB, 140 downloads)
BIAB Lyrics.jpg (91.73 KB, 140 downloads)
Last edited by lambada; 11/18/16 07:02 AM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Herb, we handled that much the same way. "We don't do that one, but I think you will like the one we do for you instead."

I have met many musicians who see it as a badge of courage somehow to brag that they know 8,293 songs. My first question (that I say to myself because I really don't care how many songs you know) is "You do 45 a night, and in a different place every night. Why do you carry that kind of luggage with you? And the second question is "With that much material, unless you rehearse 29 hours a day, every day, you can never rehearse them. You DO need to touch a song in the rehearsal hall if you are going to play it." Which then leads me to "But I know you never rehearse. You don't even play with the same people every show. Which is why you only know that same 50 songs every band in town knows."

But it's not my concern if you know the Famous 50 or the 8,293.

The only thing that used to get me angry is when some drunken idiot would come to the stage in the middle of the 3rd set of MOTOWN MUSIC and start yelling "Skynaaaaaaard!!" I actually had people removed by security a couple of times for that. Don't disrupt what we are doing. Stay on the floor where you belong. If you want to hear Skynaaaaaaard, join a band and play it. Oh, that's right. You have no talent and don't play or sing....

I just can't imagine needing 550 songs, Notes, but I don't really know what you do. If you are playing a prom tonight, a wedding tomorrow, a bar the next night and then a show for geezers at an old folks home, I would imagine you need to know both Uptown Funk and String Of Pearls. Plus you are a "captive" band. With you and your wife, you are always available to practice, learn.... It's different with an 8 piece band of players with kids who have to be dropping them off at soccer or the swim meet.

Starting to see why I don't play anymore? LOL!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The interesting thing is I knew a few people who easily knew 500+ songs and all of them by memory.

The one guy in particular was a freaking genius when it came to music. He was an amazingly talented piano player and singer. He was always swapping out players in his band's lineup. playing with him was a musical education because the guy could play anything. And he practically knew everything and every song. He knew the top 40 stuff on the radio and he also knew the hits and popular songs from the 40's. A walking talking musical encyclopedia. The fellow didn't use any sheet music or lyric pages. He didn't write up set lists either. He was the band leader.... think Paul Schafer. He'd start the show and call the songs as he went. You never knew what was coming. Of course he did have a regular group of about 100 songs that he drew from most often. I never had the misfortune to play with his band. He was quite the arse.

I did play with the other guy who also had an amazing repertoire. Like the first guy he knew lots of tunes, but he did make a set list and pretty much stuck to it. Never saw him use a lyric sheet or sheet music. I played in that band for a few months. When they started requiring tux's and playing lots of country club gigs... that was the beginning of the end. This fellow was a nice guy, but his momma ran the band.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Yes J x 3. I just learned that Bruce Springsteen uses one! Edited to add: to us it all looks very sponateous if someone calls out a song and he actually plays it! I read that he expects the E street band to know it ( after all they have spent years playing the pubs) but he has a very nifty tele prompt operator who quickly brings up the lyrics.

McCartney uses one and I suspect most acts nowadays use them. Why not? Just another tool to integrate into your act.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Karaoke rules grin

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I first played in a band in the 1960s learning chords and lyrics - and lead guitar breaks in my case - was not a problem. It was only when I hit my late 50s that I found I needed song sheets, mainly to remind me of the arrangement, e.g. which verse I solo over, and lyric prompts: usually the opening line suffices. I'm 67 now and envy you guys that can still commit songs totally to memory, I can't, no matter how many times I play them.

I know I'm not alone in this; it's not advancing dementia or anything, just one of those age things. I've seen artists on TV such as Brian Ferry and Paul Heaton of Beautiful South both openly using song sheet books on music stands, even though they've written the songs themselves. Some prefer to be more discreet, for example Ian Gillan, lead singer of Deep Purple, who uses scrolling teleprompters placed near his floor monitors. I watched Sting playing live on TV the other night doing the same.

So I bind all my lead sheets in a booklet and refer to one as and when I need it and don't worry about it anymore.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Skyline
I'm 67 now and envy you guys that can still commit songs totally to memory, I can't, no matter how many times I play them.

I know I'm not alone in this;

For me, it is something I have always battled with, not so much age related.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Digital Fakebook. And it's free! grin

http://www.mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
<...snip...>
I just can't imagine needing 550 songs, Notes, but I don't really know what you do. <...>

I suppose everyone has their own situation. Here is why we need 1,000 songs (working on that)

1) We play a variety of venues.

* Our weekly outdoor marina gig requires a good deal of Caribbean music, Calypso, Soca, Reggae and tropical music like Jimmy Buffett, Bertie Higgins and so on

* One of our yacht club gigs likes a long dinner set of mellow music followed by one hour of dance music

* The gig we played last night (and we've been a regular ther for about 20 years) likes a lot of line dances. We know about 10 songs that we play there and nowhere else

* The condo gigs require a lot of oldies

* New songs come and go, even with the adult audience, "Love Shack" died when "Blurred Lines" came in. "Uptown Funk" still works while "All About That Bass" is fading. "Happy" seems like it will hang around a while, etc. Next year there will be new adult-crossover hits

2) We play a lot of our clubs again and again

* New songs keep us fresh. Our weekly gig is in our ninth year, some monthly gigs for over 20. Plus people follow us from gig to gig, the enjoy new music from us

3) Requests

* When a regular fan asks for a song, if it is appropriate and if we can learn it, we will. And when we see that person again we'll play it without being asked. It makes that person feel special, and it should, because our fans are special to us.

4) We thrive on new songs

Songs go through three phases (1) An adventure - they are new, and not fully explored yet and each play can turn up a new discovery (2) Peak - you are totally in command of the song, it's just a lot of fun to play and you get into the zone immediately (3) Familiar - it's like a lover you have been with a long time, still great, comfortable, but not the fireworks that it was during peak time.

So why not over 550 songs? We're probably up to over 560 now but I haven't counted in a while.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Notes; thank you. That woke us all up with the description of all your gigs. Respect!

Danny C does a different set of songs with every live stream he does! I wonder how many songs he has in his repertoire...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Our bluegrass band typically did three one hr sets in clubs and 45 minute sets at festivals. Janice would make up a set list for each gig working from a master list of about 200 songs of which about 25% were instrumentals. We had three lead singers so the lyric memory thing was not bad. Most of the set organization was based on the guitar and banjo capos smile

So we just tossed a set list in front of each monitor and had at it.

Bud

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195