Print Thread
Go To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
I don't think we fight I think we have:

One group that doesn't care or need 64-bit BIAB and this makes the 64-bit group distraught for some reason.

I don't think so. I think that one group doesn't care or need 64-bit BIAB while the other group does care and needs 64 bit. I am in the later however I will upgrade if there is something in the upgrade that I might want or need.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tobias
My assumption is; if I purchase the audiofile edition of BIAB it uses .WAV files for RealTracks instead of the claimed lossless .WMA files in the budget version that I can afford. My assumption is also a much higher quality end result, uh, dependent on the user, of course. Perhaps sound quality-wise I would have no desire for 64 bit version. But, only for compatibility issues.

I believe you are correct that going to 64-bit in itself has no effect on audio quality. I just wanted to mention that I do not think PG Music ever referred to their .WMA files in the 'regular' version of BIAB as being lossless. They are not.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
There should be no affect on audio quality between a 32-bit BIAB and a 64-bit BIAB. I suspect some folks are confusing 64-bit application memory space with audio bit-rate settings (which would affect audio quality).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Pumps2
Originally Posted By: colly
Why.....!
What good would 64 bit give us as biab users ?.

Sound "quality" involves a lot more than bit depth and compression levels. There is a whole universe of technology that can do amazing things to enhance the overall impact of the sound. When I take BIAB tracks into a DAW where I can use the full palate of tools, I can create a much higher impact product. In most cases, if I could simply use some of those effects directly under BIAB, I could get close to the same results with much less work.

In short, the sound coming out of BIAB today might sound pretty good compared to the days of tinny sounding GM softsynths. But it is an UNPOLISHED sound, clearly inferior in a world that raises the bar every year. PGMusic really needs to play better with others. Their strategy of ignoring the rest of the music technology world and trying to lock their users into a walled garden is just not very appealing to me.

And for the same reason, I have very little use for the PGMusic realtracks. Give me great MIDI lines and I can run that through the best VST instruments out there.

I've followed this thread and the other similar ones from the sidelines but your post here is the best expression of the value of BIAB 64 bit enhancement for me and my use that I've seen.

Dr. Gannon has stated elsewhere that 64 bit is not an enhancement to BIAB or accessed by the core programming. You are quite correct in your statement that an entire universe of audio enhancement products exist that musicians, engineers and producers of every level of expertise have or can access.

There already exists a simple and clear path from BIAB that technicians at each and every level of expertise can use to give BIAB midi/RealTracks/Realdrums and midi supertracks access to this universe.

I think the end result this upgrade presents is we get another product that enlarges the existing audio enhancement universe but has no effect other than a minor convenience to reach a portion of it from within BIAB. No additional BIAB memory access. No additional channels. No 24 bit resolution or no audio enhancement of the existing audio tracks that benefit the entire BIAB community and not just the community of 64 bit users.

However, my guess is that the entire community of BIAB will suffer a significant price increase given the manhours, research and development, reprogramming and software development required to convert and upgrade the program to 64 bit.

How many 64 bit proponents will abandon the external existing audio enhancement universe, their preferred DAW and go to exclusive use of BIAB when it becomes the convenient 64 bit? None.

Likely, this 'upgrade' will lead to "now that we have 64 bit, we should be able to _______. So we need PGMusic to develop this next functionality."

Is zero enhancement of existing internal BIAB audio and zero abandonment of the existing audio enhancement universe = Entire BIAB community suffers price increase truly a value? BIAB has many strengths that would better benefit development in my opinion and would be more palpable to accept a price increase. No offense to anyone intended, nor is this an attempt to change any minds. Just a statement of my understanding to the value of a 64 bit version of BIAB.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/28/16 05:48 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jford
There should be no affect on audio quality between a 32-bit BIAB and a 64-bit BIAB. I suspect some folks are confusing 64-bit application memory space with audio bit-rate settings (which would affect audio quality).

Audio quality is my greatest concern. As stated in my previous post, I don't think there is any shortage of existing tools that will do a better job than a 64 bit BIAB program.

Pumps2 - "When I take BIAB tracks into a DAW where I can use the full palate of tools, I can create a much higher impact product. In most cases, if I could simply use some of those effects directly under BIAB, I could get close to the same results with much less work.

In short, the sound coming out of BIAB today might sound pretty good compared to the days of tinny sounding GM softsynths. But it is an UNPOLISHED sound, clearly inferior in a world that raises the bar every year."

I think his remarks are right on the mark. So, to me, is a significant upgrade that will get me "close to the same results..." be a worthwhile venture leading to an increase in the cost of the program for everyone?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

However, my guess is that the entire community of BIAB will suffer a significant price increase given the manhours, research and development, reprogramming and software development required to convert and upgrade the program to 64 bit.

Well, that sounds to me like an argument for Microsoft never progressing beyond Word 4 (anyone remember that one?). After all, with Word 4, it was technically possible to come up with a way to complete just about any document, if you were willing to work really hard at it and make some compromises.

In an industry segment that has progressed so rapidly, I find it really hard to justify Band-in-a-box's 1990s level of compatibility and presentation. Yes, BIAB enthusiasts can find ways to work around the arcane BIAB interface to get the end result they want. But it makes very little sense to me that this could actually be a good thing for the marketing of the product.

So just to be clear, I view modernization of the core product (64-bit) as being part of an overall modernization that should include easy, immediate access to all popular VSTis and VSTs without having to hack the product. (That should include automatically scanning for VSTs, as most other products do.) It should include unrestricted chains of effects, not an arbitrary limit of 4. It should involve a MUCH better user interface that includes the ability to undock panels and move them to second and third monitors, and so on. We are trapped in 1995 with this product.

Last edited by Pumps2; 11/28/16 06:32 AM.

BIAB: 2023 UltraPak
DAWs: StudioOne 5 Pro, Cubase 12 Pro
Audio: Scarlett 18i20
OS: Win10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 Mem: 24 GB Vid: GTX-760Ti

sonocrafters.com
MJames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I am a full time guitar teacher. I often use BIAB in my lessons. Two thing make it frustrating for me to use BIAB in my lessons.

1. Starting BIAB takes way to long to load.
2. BIAB takes way to long to build real track styles. Uncompromising the .wma files in Real Track and Real Drums then compiling the song takes a lot CPU power. I admit my computers are not the fastest out there. But they are 64 bit and have solid state hard drives. I know 64 bit would speed everything up.

The problem for me is I only have 30 minute lessons. I can't spend 3 to 6 minutes of the lesson waiting for BIAB. I often just go to YouTube and find a nice play a long someone has made which is a bit frustrating to me since YouTube is free and I have paid hundreds of dollars for BIAB.
If PGMusic could reduce load up time and track generation by a minute or so it would be usable for me in my lessons. Some styles load a lot faster then others. I'm learning which one I have to avoid in lessons and only if I have BIAB already running in the background.

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: MJames
I can't spend 3 to 6 minutes of the lesson waiting for BIAB. I often just go to YouTube and find a nice play a long

As far as I am concerned, BIAB is not a real time tool. I know there are features in there targeted at real time usage, but it is just too cumbersome to use that way IMHO. I have rendered hundreds of songs for play-along. Many of them I have also mixed and mastered in a DAW. For me, BIAB is, at best, a tool to help in one piece of the process. I would like to see it do a better job of that piece (faster operation, avoidance of the maj/min errors and others mentioned above, much better user interface) and also cover a broader swath (support all popular VSTis and VSTs, allow more than 4 effects. etc).

I am simply not interested in 100 more real tracks if the underlying shortcomings are not improved.

BIAB: 2023 UltraPak
DAWs: StudioOne 5 Pro, Cubase 12 Pro
Audio: Scarlett 18i20
OS: Win10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 Mem: 24 GB Vid: GTX-760Ti

sonocrafters.com
Veteran
Veteran
MJames,

When you say...

Quote:
If PGMusic could reduce load up time and track generation by a minute or so

...What are you start-up times?

I just started BIAB and it took 4.5 seconds. Also, I generated a 76 bar song that contained four realtracks and it started playing the first bar (after the count-in) in under 10 seconds. I have BIAB 2016.

EDIT: I don't have solid state drives but the \bb folder is excluded from being checked by my antivirus software.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran

I have noticed this on my laptop, but not my PC so much, and I can't figure it out.

On my PC, from click to run with a Real Style loaded it is about 28 seconds, which I won't mind, since Sonar takes about that long to load. Seems kinda normal.

On my laptop, though, with the same 64 bit operating system and plenty of RAM, it does take several minutes, and I have no idea why.

So I can see why if you are a teacher and using a laptop it would be frustrating. I am interested in the answer to this.

Veteran
Veteran
David -

Quote:
On my laptop, though, with the same 64 bit operating system and plenty of RAM, it does take several minutes, and I have no idea why.

Have you excluded BIAB from your anti-virus scan? Of course, that's a tradeoff in that you must trust the BIAB executable file; however, it definitely does reduce startup times significantly. Also, what kind of hard drive do you have in your laptop. If SSD, I would think it should load pretty fast (unless it's loading from another drive). I've got 7200 RPM drives in my laptop, but many laptops (even new ones with a lot of RAM and processor horsepower) have 4200 or 5400 RPM drives, which will definitely affect performance (the slower drives improve battery life).

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Who needs 64bit in this day n age ? a bunch of crazies !

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Who needs 64bit in this day n age ? a bunch of crazies !

That definitely DOS show what BIAB can do! smile

John

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I have noticed this on my laptop, but not my PC so much, and I can't figure it out.

On my PC, from click to run with a Real Style loaded it is about 28 seconds, which I won't mind, since Sonar takes about that long to load. Seems kinda normal.

So I can see why if you are a teacher and using a laptop it would be frustrating. I am interested in the answer to this.

David,

That's strange behaviour. I've never had any version of BIAB from 2006 until now take longer than about 30 - 40 seconds (on both laptop and desktop). The longer start-up times where when Realtracks technology was in its earlier days.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks man! I will check that out!

MJames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Both my laptops are really slow to start up and generate the tracks. I also have Dell mini form factor that is a little faster but still to slow. My home pc is a high end gaming pc that is fast. But it's monster pc with 16gig of RAM 6 core cpu, nVidia GPU ect...
The fact that we are having a debate over 32 bit vs 64 in this day and age is just stupid. Even if there were no improvements at all, BIAB should still have a 64 bit option so that it can take advantage of memory, cpu and OS compatibility and improvements and any number of other improvements and features that may arise in the future.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
The fact that we are having a debate over 32 bit vs 64 in this day and age is just stupid.

IK Multimedia just went to 64-bit this past year with SampleTank 3, so that's pretty recent. Finale just went to 64-bit in the past couple of months. It seems to me that a lot of companies have been wrestling with this "in this day and age", so plenty of stupid to go around, eh?

Buy it or don't, but whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit (and trust me, I'm on the bandwagon to get 64-bit), there's not another program that does what it does.

John

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I had fear and worry when the windows version came out and I fought hard to stop this happening.....

but then I realized the fear was unfounded because my DOS v4 still worked !

MJames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

but then I realized the fear was unfounded because my DOS v4 still worked !

Your sarcasm his really funny! smile And makes a good point.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi all,

This thread is locked, but is continued here....
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378781#Post378781

This thread was started in 2014, before we had support for jbridge ($10). So it contains dated information, before BiaB worked seemelessly with 64 bit plugins. Customers were confused reading this thread, because they were reading information from 2014.

Feel free to continue the discussion in the continued thread above, posting current information.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199