Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
)))) I am seeing a lot of questions about using Band in a Box if you are a beginner being asked over and over, and I wonder if there could be or should a forum (Like OFF TOPIC) dedicated solely to Band in a Box for Beginners--instead of developing a "Band in a Box Lite" program.

David,

Awesome idea, and thanks for posting a first sample lesson. The idea to have a beginners forum, maybe simply called Beginners forum.

If it is popular we could split it into BIAB RealBand and others

We will work on that

Thanks

At the moment a number of us are going off in different directions attempting to help beginners with common questions as below:

Beginning Mixing Part I

Maybe this can bring all the articles together in one place. From the responses I've received, there is definitely a LOT of interest.

Bob

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Bob,
Yes, that's a great mixing lesson, and thanks for making it. This would be ideal for the beginners forum.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A beginners forum? Seriously?

I really don't see it guys. Everybody in the world posts questions about Biab in the Biab forum. Now we're supposed to make a judgement call that this particular question is at the beginner level and route them to here? Where is the cutoff from a so called beginner question to an intermediate one to an expert one?

Just my opinion, EVERYBODY needs to be reading the full Biab forum precisely because EVERYBODY is there at all levels. Why? Because one person's beginner question is another person's expert question. We all use Biab for different things, it's capable of so much that nobody but Peter and the staff knows it all.

I've been using the program for over 10 years and you could say I'm an expert but I just learned something about exporting chords the other day. For that one thing, I was a beginner but otherwise I'm an expert. The thing is everybody is like that. Some knew all about exporting chords but knew nothing about another area of the program that I know all about. This is why I say everybody should be reading the original Biab forum.

To me this is all you need for beginners and it could be made a closed sticky at the top of the Biab forum:

1. Explain the audio settings, latency and ASIO.
2. Explain the midi settings and a default synth.
3. Explain selecting a style either RT or midi.
4. Explain inputting the chords.
5. Explain Play and Generate.

That's it. Everything else could easily be called a beginner area or an expert area depending on what the person has been or wants to use the program for.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob,

Some good points there. I was digging through some storage boxes and came across BIAB program CD's and hard drives that go back to 2003. I know there are more somewhere. Haha...packrat. The point is, I JUST learned how to work with Helicon harmonies. And I'm pretty sure after all these years I'm only using a fraction of BIAB's capability. So I guess you're right, learning any new skill in BIAB put's you in the beginner group. Is a beginner forum necessary? I'll leave that to the powers that be. As for me I've been answering questions and trying to help folks as long as I've been on here and I know we all do that. We know what it's like to struggle with a concept or a function and how easy it can be when someone takes pity on us and explains it in such a way that we finally get it. I guess it couldn't hurt.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Buford; 11/29/16 01:10 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey I'm a beginner. I only started in 2014. Thanks to a lot of help, I have some songs out.

No problem calling myself a beginner.

Beginners, we all know who we are!

Post away!!!

smile

Hopefully we can all help one another.

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
A beginners forum? Seriously?

I really don't see it guys. Everybody in the world posts questions about Biab in the Biab forum. Now we're supposed to make a judgement call that this particular question is at the beginner level and route them to here? Where is the cutoff from a so called beginner question to an intermediate one to an expert one?

Just my opinion, EVERYBODY needs to be reading the full Biab forum precisely because EVERYBODY is there at all levels. Why? Because one person's beginner question is another person's expert question. We all use Biab for different things, it's capable of so much that nobody but Peter and the staff knows it all.

I've been using the program for over 10 years and you could say I'm an expert but I just learned something about exporting chords the other day. For that one thing, I was a beginner but otherwise I'm an expert. The thing is everybody is like that. Some knew all about exporting chords but knew nothing about another area of the program that I know all about. This is why I say everybody should be reading the original Biab forum.

To me this is all you need for beginners and it could be made a closed sticky at the top of the Biab forum:

1. Explain the audio settings, latency and ASIO.
2. Explain the midi settings and a default synth.
3. Explain selecting a style either RT or midi.
4. Explain inputting the chords.
5. Explain Play and Generate.

That's it. Everything else could easily be called a beginner area or an expert area depending on what the person has been or wants to use the program for.

Bob

I agree! This prolly makes it less likely you'll get an answer because BIAB questions can now be asked in two places. And how will I know whether to ask a question in the regular or beginner forum?

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I totally see good things for the beginners forum. If I arrived at, say the Photoshop forum, and saw posts like "gradient layers lacking TrueColor support.. are you kidding me?" I would be scared away. Because I might be going there to ask if how I can take a photo on an iPhone and transfer it to photoshop, so I can print it out.

However if I saw a Beginners photoshop forum, I would ask away. Heck, I may post one of the beginners in this forum questions right now.....

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Well said!!!!

smile

Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
this forum is a fantastic idea

even as an oldie there is always something new to learn or even a new way of working with the many fantastic features of mac band in a box

now not to bring the house down around my head, i for one ( perhaps the only one ) wish those video files that PG produce for us to learn could be done in both flavours, Mac and Windows

there have been several videos posted on a Mac only forum that were actually produced for the Window version that i find confusing because what i see in the video is not what i see when working with my Mac version of BinaBox

with today's video editing software a video produced by PG could be modified to show me the lesson only for the Mac version of BinaBox

thanks David for your sample lesson

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I know but look at what's happening already. Now there's a big detailed thread in this Beginners forum talking about the differences between mixing and mastering. Call me stupid, but your original post David says this is a Biab beginners forum and then you talk about mixing. Mixing and mastering is not about Biab, that's already the title of another forum.

Give it another week and this Beginners forum is going to be a complete mashup of all kinds of different stuff that's already covered either in the Tech SOS, Recording, Mixing and Performance, Biab, RB and who knows how many other existing forums.

The problem like I said above is nobody knows the definition of the word "beginner". Anyway, I'm sticking to the primary forums, you guys have fun here.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Well said!!!!

smile

Hey David,

How about a BEGINNERS FORUM project? Something we take through the entire BIAB experience from concept to completion. Maybe a simple original song with lyrics and melody. We could use RB for the DAW since everyone who has BIAB has that. Maybe start with MIDI instruments on the low end and move up to RT later. Perhaps even make individual tracks available on Soundcloud for downloading and mixing. It would create a hands-on experience rather than just conceptual discussions. Haven't thought this through all the way. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Buford; 12/01/16 02:00 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great idea Bob.

As a producer you make the perfect person to outline and manage this course.

I will be happy to contribute as part of the core team.

Why don't you sketch it out, make a team and start bossing us around.

smile

Great idea. Should be fun.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well......

OK.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great idea Bob.

As a producer you make the perfect person to outline and manage this course.

I will be happy to contribute as part of the core team.

Why don't you sketch it out, make a team and start bossing us around.

smile

Great idea. Should be fun.

David,

Thanks for the nomination. LOL I thought this forum was YOUR baby. Haha. Do you have Facebook Messenger? Maybe we can chat about the approach on there a bit easier. Should also probably get Peter's blessing on this before we start. I mean he's kinda the boss, you know. grin I'd like to hear what he thinks.

Bob B

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Bob,

Real quick, I will PM you tomorrow. We can do Skype.

AND--This ain't my forum, man, it's a group forum!!! smile

Should be easy to get rollin.' I will PM you later and we can talk. Would love to hear any ideas from PG Staff of course, but I am sure they would be good.

Talk later.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Bob,

Real quick, I will PM you tomorrow. We can do Skype.

AND--This ain't my forum, man, it's a group forum!!! smile

Should be easy to get rollin.' I will PM you later and we can talk. Would love to hear any ideas from PG Staff of course, but I am sure they would be good.

Talk later.

Noooo...I'm pretty sure this is YOUR forum. grin

Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
now you guys are talking about Skype plus topics that may be beyond what a beginner really wants to know plus having a safe place to visit and ask without be ridiculed

please guys keep this forum as a forum for Beginners to come and learn or ask questions or read about others with similar problems or questions

i am left with the sense that some of your postings are intended to drown this Beginners Forum

Beginners Forum
L
Expert
Expert
L
I'm sure that's not their intention Mr W, and I'm sure they'll take on board your point. Nobody should feel intimidated by any of us. Maybe that's why they're taking the duscussion off the forum?

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob and I are simply talking offline about the best way to approach some course issues, to keep it simple. Do not worry, we are simply making plans to help. Thank you. Our intention is to keep it the way you described. Thanks a lot.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob and I are simply talking offline about the best way to approach some course issues, to keep it simple. Do not worry, we are simply making plans to help. Thank you. Our intention is to keep it the way you described. Thanks a lot.

David...Please check your PMs. ~BB

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200