Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SFG
I'd like to know exactly what still needs to be worked on / added until there is no difference in functionality?
There is no list or 'platform features' comparison diagram available (despite frequently requested in that ill-named "Wishlist" forum!), so I can only give you an "off the top of my head" kind of answer:

1. There's no Conductor interface (has been on WinSux for years).
2. There's no "Soundtrack" feature (on WinSux since 2007!).
3. There's no RealBand (and according to Master Gannon himself, never will be!).
4. There's no Vocal Harmonisation (has been on WinSux since 2014).
5. There's no Piano Roll (not sure when they got that on WinSux, I honestly stopped reading & watching any more of the features listing since 2011, it was just too disheartening!).
6. Saw this in facebook: "Fretlight" version still being requested for Mac by someone, for at least the last two years.
7. Multiple GUI and interface issues that stem (according to forum speculations) primarily from the program being a port rather than using the optimal Mac-verse tools for the job, e.g. Pascal being rumoured as the current programming tool still, and no Apple SDK tools being used at all. This is why the program never "feels" (nor indeed looks!) like a Mac application.

The "good news" in relation to your full question is that, there's no differences in functionality between the various packages, just a matter of different amount of contents in each. So for instance, the MegaPak and the EverthingPak can do exactly the same things and have exactly the same features, only one has more things to work with (more RT's or styles etc) than the other. And this has held true on our Mac front as well.

Last edited by Icelander; 12/05/16 05:03 AM.

There's only one thing to do in crisis like this - Sleep on it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think what will save it is ReWire, this will be implemented soon, that will mean you basically operate from your 64bit DAW using BBMac to create the tracks on the fly, just like how RealBand works in Win, it uses an app in it's folder bbw2.exe that runs invisible in the background, it is just basically the biab app.
RealBand calls on bbw2.exe to generate up the tracks for RealBand.
Having ReWire this will let BBMac play along with your DAW start/stop/pause/continue/loop. This way your are not putting all the load onto 32bit BBMac. Win has RealBand but it has nothing on a good 64bit DAW.
I think BB would have to be the ReWire master as it don't start play instantly.

Then you can do MultiRiffs
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378682

You can load the Exported Chord Sheet video in the DAW or when they implement the drag n drop midi BB Chord Output midi file with chord markers in it this will give your DAW a Chord track and any tempo map before dragging in the audio RTs RDs.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ProTools_Midi_Chord_Markers.jpg (372.92 KB, 103 downloads)
3_Reaper_BB_Chord_Markers2.jpg (249.01 KB, 103 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I think what will save it is ReWire, this will be implemented soon
There's a lot of certainty in this statement. Know something we don't?
You can load the Exported Chord Sheet video in the DAW or when they implement the drag n drop midi BB Chord Output midi file with chord markers in it...
You mean "IF they implement"...or, again, know something we don't?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=377577#Post377577

Hopefully they should implement chord markers with the BB Chord Output!!!!!!!

Veteran
Veteran
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=377577#Post377577
Hopefully they should implement chord markers with the BB Chord Output.
Interesting thread there...but I'm not seeing anything definitive from PG Music in there, and nothing about Mac (any mention of Mac came from another mac user and yourself).
So you'll pardon if I remain sceptic, for a bit longer at least ;/

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think it will be like the vst sync, once that was implemented in Win 5mins later so to speak the structure was in Mac.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I know one thing Mac got before Win was Sforzando integrated at the time of the vst support update.

I've tried getting 64bit no one more so than me, but I think it's just too big an undertaking at the moment for PG, but who knows it could be in development as we complain.

More on ReWire http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378926#Post378926

Using ReWire with Biab will be like a Biab vst, until we get one of them.

I do a lot of bit#hing but gotta love it and stick with it as nothing else out there is comparable. The 2017 version has 100 more extra RTs than last year (202).
Let's hope the MacBB release date gets close each year, and the same features.

Veteran
Veteran
I know one thing Mac got before Win was Sforzando integrated at the time of the vst support update.
Yes, I was surprised to see that listed on the front page as one of the "new for 2017" things just now. But you know how it is with any minority group, we are predisposed towards the "always the short end of the stick". That's just the nature of things smirk
Using ReWire with Biab will be like a Biab vst, until we get one of them.
Apropos ReWire, I've just got "Jack" but yet to actually try using it. Just how is this thing favourable to something like "Jack"?
I do a lot of bit#hing but gotta love it and stick with it as nothing else out there is comparable.
Oh, absolutely! Our critical thinking (absolutely essential mentality when we work in the beta department, as we both have) shouldn't be taken for (or confused with) mere blinded negativity. If anything, quite the reverse. We want nothing but the best for this wonderful tool that has given us so much, and can potentially give us so much more. So we push, we nudge, nag & 'bit#h', all in order to keep things moving forward.
Let's hope the MacBB release date gets close each year, and the same features.
I think there may be a word missing from this sentence, but I'll drink to that sentiment - Cheers! cool

Hi,

I am new here. I've been reading info regarding BIAB 2016 for Mac. I am using Mac Pro (64bit) as my main computer for music applications (Digital Performer, Reason, Peak). I've been wanting to use BIAB to save time laying down rough and quick basic "real tracks" for RY section for my originals then import these BIAB "real-band" audio tracks into my digital performer so I can work on my brass & string sections later. So I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to do what I described above?
2) For a more advance level, take a jazz dramatic ballad that requires complex conducting tempo or odd meters for an example, can BIAB (with real tracks/real band audio tracks) be synchronized/(slaved to) with Digital Performer (master)?

I was told by a PG sale rep that if I order BIAB Everything PAK now, PG will put the order on hold and will ship the BIAB 2017 for MAC. Can you tell me how soon will the Mac version 2017 be released and ready to ship?

Thanks,

Veteran
Veteran
1. Absolutely possible, and it's a very common way of utilising Band-in-a-Box.

2. While you can set BBox to quite complex time sig and vary the tempo (per bar) and it can sync out, it does not sync IN. You'd be better advised to render the BBox tracks to audio and bring them into your designated DAW, where you can snap and stretch them at will.

So in essence, you can get to the desired end result in both questions, the second just takes a bit of a 'detour' to get there.

Version 2017 is in beta testing phase as this is written, so later this month it should be out in full (unless of course testing discovers something very, very unexpected). So it won't be long now smile

Great! I can't wait to get my hands on the full version 2017 for Mac. Thanks, Icelander.

Veteran
Veteran
My pleasure. The more Mac users of BBox, the better cool

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,011
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186