Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
My audio interface provides two channels to a Realband audio track using ASIO. Both are used when the track type is stereo. So if the actual input input is mono (one microphone only) then only one half of the stereo is recorded. If the track type is then set to mono then only one of the channels is selected? One channel does work but there is no way (not that I can see anyway) of forcing the track to use one or other of the inputs.

It would be great to have any help on this please?

John Lundrigan

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jonel
If the track type is then set to mono then only one of the channels is selected?

Kinda sorta. If the track type is mono, there ARE no L and R. It's one merged channel.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
In Audio Prefs you can set a MONO track to record one side or the other.
It's a 2-way system though; If the track type is Stereo it will record both tracks.
If you change the track type to MONO, the above mentioned Prefs setting lets you decide how MONO tracks are handled; record L, record R, or record Both.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
stereo-mono_RB.jpg (38.07 KB, 107 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

I record everything that I play in mono on the left channel, sometimes switching to right when I am mic'ing the amp and want to use the right channel of the Asio/audio interface.

But generally speaking, when you are recording your own tracks you want to record in mono, and choose either left or right.

Even with some real tracks that render as stereo I convert them to mono in audacity so I have more control in the panning process.

The only exception is drums which I usually leave in stereo.

Hope that makes sense.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Audio Input Left.png (288.52 KB, 103 downloads)
RealBand
L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi David

How can we make RTs mono if we are panning tracks in BIAB itself? Are you altering your actual RealTracks in Audacity? Assuming they are stereo. I'm very confused as to whether having them in mono is important for backing tracks that are going to be played on a PA, and am not sure how it can be done. Likewise, a while back someone suggested panning the drums and bass one way, so that you could control the mix more easily on the PA for different venues. That's got me completely baffled now. I guess what I'm trying to ensure is that my backing tracks are clear and not taking anything away from my guitar and vocals.

Thanks.

Last edited by lambada; 12/06/16 04:38 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I have wondered, but never asked, why when you generate tracks they are not all mono or all stereo. Typically drums are stereo, bass is mono, and then it's seemingly at random.

@David Snyder re: panning. I usually leave drums, bass, vocals and solos in the middle but the rhythm instruments go left and right.

One of my teachers used a baseball field as her example. A baseball team always wants to be strong up the middle. Catcher, pitcher, shortstop, second base and center field. Or to apply the metaphor, drums, bass, vox and solos. The other example she used was visual where she held up 5 things behind a computer tower, to visualize that you could only see the last 4 when she moved them to the left or the right. Just expanding on what you said. Record them in mono and then move them left and right. Depending on how many rhythm instruments I have I will do hard left, 45 degrees left, hard right and 45 degrees right. Makes for some depth.

I have at times split a mono track RB created into 2 tracks so I can have a left and a right and place effects on one and not on the other. It doesn't always stay in, but that's some of the experimenting. One time, I had a 12 string track and I cloned it 3 times so I had 4 tracks of the same thing. I went hard left clean, 45 left chorused, hard right with reverb, and 45 right with a little delay, all at low and varied volumes. I was trying to make it sound like 4 guitars playing the same part with slightly different color. A Phil Spector-ish move. It worked well enough but I didn't keep all those layers in the end.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/06/16 06:10 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Excellent rharv, just what I was looking for.

Thanks

John

RealBand
jonel Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks David, great information.

Regards

John

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
There is a selection in the Master tab submenu, Set mix to flat, dry and center.

Access this by right clicking on the Master tab to open the menu window.

This is a useful feature when exporting BIAB tracks to a DAW for further processing where you will add effects, volume envelopes and panning and want to export your tracks dry, equal volumes and no panning.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If you select STEREO as the input type for the track ... you must provide both a left and a right input via the 2 channels in the interface.

If you select MONO as the input type for the track, it will send only that side that you selected as the MONO input to the track.

In MONO, it is totally possible to have the other interface channel providing another different MONO input to another track. So you could record guitar to one and vocal to the other. Both would be mono tracks and both would be recording at the same time if you decided to do it that way.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
To answer all questions, or at least try.

1.) I only use Real Band to generate usable backing tracks. Except for drums, I always want those tracks to be in mono, so I go into Audacity after the export and do stereo to mono and resave the tracks if those tracks rendered as stereo in Real Band (and were exported that way.)

Some people use plug ins to reshape stereo tracks inside the DAW but I find that to be a nuisance. I want my tracks (except for drums) to be in mono so I can pan them where I want them. It is just my preference.

Again, this is just my way of doing things.

2.) The question of "Mono left" might be confusing. When I say 'mono left" I mean I am simply using the left channel input on the audio interface to record a mono track, and again--and this is just me--I prefer all the audio tracks except for drums to be in mono.

Then once I have them in Sonar, I pan bass just slightly off center, main vocals straight up, drums straight up, doubled vocals at 10, and -10, main instruments at 25 and -25 and sweetening instruments at 30, -30, or sometimes -35, and 35.

Bob Buford just wrote an excellent column on this in the recording forum.

I hope this makes sense!!!

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
David, regarding rendering RB stereo tracks to mono. You can save time and effort doing this in RB rather than exporting back and forth between RB and Audacity. I was wondering why you use this particular procedure.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

I never go back into real band after I export and I like audacity for various reasons.

However, where is the setting on Real Band anyway that allows you to change it to all mono export?

I can't find it under preferences.

Thanks!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Jonel, this may be good reading for you.

Audio drivers debate

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
It works the same in RB as Audacity that you can split stereo tracks and merge them back together if desired.

You can split your tracks prior to export and avoid the Audacity stage altogether and save a little time.

The option is accessed from the Edit Menu on the top tool bar.

Edit>Track>Split a stereo track into 2 Mono tracks...

The merge option is just above the split selection in the same menu.

Charlie

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Ok thanks Charlie.

I think we have been around this before. There are aspects of audacity I like, and it takes me 10 minutes to "trim" and normalization ALL of my audio for any song remove, clicks, unwanted passages and stuff, and convert stereo to mono.

I can blow the audio up real big, look for artifacts and zap them in a millisecond with negative amplification.

I mean, everything is ready to go into the DAW after about 10 minutes.

I guess I have just gotten use to it and just like doing it that way though it is nice to have the extra in information about Real Band, so thanks a lot.

But again. once I leave Real Band with my tracks I don't go back. I mix in Sonar.

RealBand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Tech support could not figure out my lingering problem. Since going with this Scarlett 2i2 the melody track midi in yellow is out of sync with the RealTracks -a couple of bars behind. Resetting to factory settings (all option) fixes it but only for a while, it goes back to this problem. Unchecking the use VST/DX on the Midi driver setup dialogue box made it better but still off a little then later it was back to same.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
In MIDI preferences, even though you have the 'Use default DXi' checkbox enabled, do you have the MS Wavetable synth selected as the device in the box above the check box?
For some reason we have seen this fix a weird problem or 2 before.
Just a shot in the dark. It shouldn't matter since all MIDI is getting re-routed, but like I said it has helped before in weird situations.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 1mansaxband
Tech support could not figure out my lingering problem. Since going with this Scarlett 2i2 the melody track midi in yellow is out of sync with the RealTracks -a couple of bars behind. Resetting to factory settings (all option) fixes it but only for a while, it goes back to this problem. Unchecking the use VST/DX on the Midi driver setup dialogue box made it better but still off a little then later it was back to same.

You should put this in a new post/thread.

Midi playing behind is called latency and is generally a driver issue. The Focusrite Scarlett is a good interface. What driver mode are you using with it?

Are we talking about BB or RB or both?

Give us as much detail on your recording rig setup as you can.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I believe 2.5.1 is the latest Focusrite driver.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195