#379935 12/04/16 02:35 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Has anyone got finale or sibelius ?
Try exporting the new guitar RealCharts to xml then Import to finale/sibelius then save to midi and see if you get the pitch bends. Let me know what you get and maybe upload the the original RC mid and the xml to midi .

In Guitar Pro if I export to midi I get pitch bends.
If I Import xml from Guitar Pro to RealBand I get the bends in the Tab notation but not in the midi track.
Quote:
For other instruments like Guitar, MIDI pickups are used. . . .and the importance of effects like vibrato that weren't captured.

then elsewhere the realcharts were done by hand.

I use the RealCharts as midi but you shouldn't have to add the articulations back in by hand.

If I record with my Roland pickup I get the wav and the midi and I get what I recorded, all the articulations.
The Fishman TriplePlay is suppose to have the best tracking accuracy.

http://en.lebirne.com/guitar-to-midi-interfaces-shootout/

http://tripletalk.fishman.com/2013/10/fishman-tripleplay-tracking-vs-brand-x/

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=379860#Post379860

New RealCharts save to xml RT/RC2829

Pipeline #379953 12/04/16 04:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Not at computer again until tomoorow night if someone doesn't beat me to it i'll give it a look

But FWIW I have all those solutions (well GR-50 and/or GI-20) but with last 2'ish Jam Origins releases tracking is as good as (maybe better than).FTP.

That really valid comparison/review you linked to is almost three years old now and the FTP SW hasn't updated in almost that long but Jam Origins has. Frankly I suspect they use very similar audio/pitch to midi algorithms. Btw if you want the fastest get a You Rock Guitar with radius neck (I do).but that's cheating since that's not pitch to midi that's just a "switch" to midi LOL

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Pipeline #380037 12/05/16 02:17 AM
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
These are Guitar Pro files with bends n vibrato, Guitar Pro will Export them to xml > Import as xml and save as midi from that xml, and it has bends n vibrato in the midi, this is what RealBand/Biab should do with the xml export of RealCharts.
Open the xml in Realband it has the bends in the notation > save to xml > Import xml to Guitar Pro it looses the bends.

The files in the zip are: original gp3/5, exported xml, xml exported to midi.

GuitarPro_XML.zip

Pipeline #380243 12/05/16 04:51 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't been called into to consult in months today I went in and while there wife called and furnace is acing up so.... been a long day. And on top of that as far as using Real Charts in Real Band I don’t use Real Charts and almost never use Real Band so was wasting time.

So can you pick a specific Real Chart (aka Real Track) demo file name (I have them all) that you'd like me to export from RealBand as XML? Better yet, you do it so it's exactly the XML (and or .mid) you'd like to see what Final and Notion 5 do with it

In the mean time:

1. Using your supplied XMLs and MID files are you saying I should HEAR or see fret/string vibrato in the .mid files or XML's as exported from GP3 and 5? Because I do not hear vibrato anywhere in those .mid files and there is no vibrato annotation in Finale or Notion 5 and Muse Score 2 can’t even open your Brent Mason XML.

Can you specify a time (measure/bar) that is suppose to have vibrato?

I do hear some BENDS and slides but even then the 1/4 to 1/2 note bends all sound like note slides (at best) - only full step bends sound like "string bends."

As far as XML - I could only use Finale 2012 (issue with 2014.5 and Make Music - we're thrashing) and Notion 5.

Finale 2012 was abysmal - slides only: no bends, no vibrato, no key signature. Also the "P" pull offs got interpreted as "f" (FORTE) EVERYWHERE it dominated the top of the staves in the score: fffffffffffff so hammer-ons and and pull-offs not read correctly - this is with GP XMLs.

When exporting out as MIDI - it does get the bends/slides in there right.

Notion 5 brings in XML just fine (I assume becasue I'd need to see what the score looked like before GP turned it into XML) it annotates bends and slides (audibly no real difference unless at least whole step), again no vibrato annotated anywhere, and it did read in a key signature (A maj).

When exporting midi file I lost the bends, slides.

Maybe GP plays those sounds inside GP to your satisfaction but they don’t come though the exported MIDI as such.

Back to furnace

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Larry Kehl #380245 12/05/16 05:13 PM
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Here's the midi in RB and the xml imported into GP.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB_Midi_Bends_Vibrato.jpg (637.86 KB, 107 downloads)
GP_XML_Import.jpg (372.4 KB, 101 downloads)
Pipeline #380708 12/07/16 10:44 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline

I TOTALLY missed that vibrato in second file, the Lessons file I had "target fixation" I was paying all my attention to the Brent Mason file.

Again still not 100% on what you are looking in Real Band or other app - so everything here maybe just a waste of forum bandwidth.

I think your ultimate goal is a scoring/notation program or DAW that will both IMPORT XML and .mid files, especially fretted instruments, and annotate ALL dynamics and performance nuances (bends, slides, hammer-ons/pull-offs, vibrato, etc.) without error and EXPORT same in .xml and .mid files? Or maybe help PG to create a Real Band version that does all that?

In any case, I have no such program on my PC that can do all that (yet) without issues.

Using your Lessons XML, .mid, and GP3/GP5 files:

Notion 5:

XML import of the "Lessons" XML file first pic (much better) it also shows both notation and Tab as default, actually there are no options to NOT do that at import.

Notion 5 midi export from XML import is not very representative of the score (pic 2) . Repeats aren't "repeated" (no expansion of measures into the number of repeats called for) and the LAST NOTE of a measure with a repeat is carried into next set of measures as a one long hold, Also no pitch bend CC data are included.

Notion 5 reads GP3, 4 and 5 but it doesn’t do it as well as it reads your XML's exported from GP3 and GP5 (?). The vibrato is MISSING as are your notations in the "lessons" file. (no pictures)

MIDI files - Neither GP3 or 5 generated .mid time info imported correctly into Notion 5. Even though Notion 5 has a 4/4 default time signature the import of either .mid file ("Mason" or "lesson") was compressed. That is, the whole song was squeezed into a few seconds: each set/block of repeats was turned into one large amorphous blob of notes (pic 3) .

I have not had timing issues like that with other MIDI (*.mid) files I create, or even crappy web GM files, with Notation 5 see "Saturday in the Park GM.mid" read into Notation 5 - with a few tracks converted to notation and the rest left as just MIDI data just for demo purposes (Pic 4)

Finale 2012:

Don’t forget Finale 2014.5 or even latest Finale might be a whole lot better (I'm having issues with Make Music over 2014.5 haven't even tried upgrade to final Finale)

Reading GP3 exported "Lesson" XML file was not very good as you can see (pic 5) the "ffff's" (Forte marks drowning out all other text info) but you CAN see that it does annotates and plays Vibrato, and your other text is there (buried under the "ffff's) - also no note stems (?).
But Finale 2012 did not export the pitch bend (vibrato) data correctly in a .mid file (the included vibrato came out as a single bend up note) - no pics.

MIDI files: I have to force a 4/4 time signature in Finale 2012 before opening the "Lesson" .mid file ( as mentioned above I can't do anything about how Notion 5 reads in .mid files). It contains the pitch bend data (you can hear vibrato and bends) but it IS NOT ANNOTATED (no pictures since that exceeds 5 attachments and nothing to see anyway grin )

Finale 2102 does not read GP files.

MuseScore 2.0.3

Imported MIDI (.mid) "Lesson" but does not read/use pitch bend info. It also reads the GP3 XML file but not very well it has the same "ffff's' (Forte) marks as Finale 2012 did. It would NOT read the GP5 "Brent Mason" XML file, Muse Score 2 said it was not a valid XML. (no pics).

Hope this is useful

Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

Larry Kehl #380798 12/07/16 05:17 PM
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Thanks for that extensive testing !!!
Tux Guitar will open Guitar Pro 2-X and will export the bends to midi.
I just purchased Presonus Progression 3 as it took vst's and had ReWire, but the exported midi had no bends in it, there was no midi out and they removed the support for vst instruments, as there was no trial version I found this out after, so that turned into another saga getting Presonus to fix it.
Yes, MusicXML needs to be standardized import/export in every app, that's what users are having a lot of problems with at the moment.
Hopefully PG will get it sorted soon.

This is Tux and RealGuitar, it just works, bends n all !!

Open in new tab full size

Tux_RealGuitar.gif (770.78 KB, 71 downloads)
Pipeline #380819 12/07/16 09:26 PM
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
This is Tux Midi Out to RealGuitar, the next is Progression 3 sound as it has no midi out or vst instruments.

Tux RealRick & Progression3.mp4

Pipeline #380998 12/08/16 08:43 AM
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
This tab notation was imported from Guitar Pro into RealBand - Export from RealBand - Imported back to RealBand.

RB_Exported_XML.zip

RB_GuitarPro_XML.jpg (589.83 KB, 44 downloads)
RB_GuitarPro_XML_Saved_RB.jpg (581.17 KB, 44 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199