Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yep, that's where I'm at now with Frontier, $158 a month. The new year is coming and something is gonna change, just not sure what yet.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
N
N
Just discovered this chocked-full thread. Very timely for me as I've just started a three-pronged experiment in cord cutting: 1) Bought Tivo OTA refurb at half price, 2) signed up for the new DirecTV Now service, and 3) will begin 6-mo "vacation" from DISH at end of cycle (leaves dish & receiver in place - just not working).

The Tivo deal is still on in case anyone's interested: Tivo.com. $200 brings the dvr box and a lifetime guide subscription (hope mentioning price is OK..sorry if not, but wanted to pass on what seems to me to be a great deal).

The DirecTV Now pkg is loaded with channels including ESPN and ESPN2 and all news channels. Grandfathered in to the 2nd highest tier- they say - at $35/mo as long as I keep paying monthly.

Just a few days into this and still getting the hang of it. Tivo functionality may end up being even better than locals on DISH. DirecTV Now is a little quirky, but improved over a few days. No DVR on this one and that may be its achilles heel, but I think it will be OK, especially when I consider I'm paying $35/mo instead of $100 (if you don't count the intial $200 investment). Anyway, time for a paradigm shift, and I can always go back to DISH after the "vacation" if it doesn't work out.

N
N
PS: Just wanted to say thanks to so many posters for all I've learned, and continue to learn, on these forums. I'm not new to BIAB, but I've also not used it for several years and was never that accomplished with it or other DAW related software. So, learning, re-learning, and getting re-acquainted with the only bandmates courageous enough to sit in with me, those fantastic players in the box!

I'm aware how accomplished many of you are, musically and technically. Hope you don't mind a duffer/hobbyist in your midst.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for this info Nozart. I may jump on that Tivo deal too.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been reading all about Directv Now. Here's a good article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13788934/directv-now-att-internet-tv-service-questions-pricing-channels

In addition to this I heard on he news yesterday that they've reached a deal with CBS but it's not linked up to the service yet.

For me this channel lineup is impressive. Everything I usually watch is there except for the Lakers and I've decided I can live without that, I have other choices to watch them.

The one thing that might bother me is picture quality. In my case my 60" big screen is my computer monitor so I'll be running this through my PC so no streaming box required and this article says it's "mostly" 1080P. My Frontier Fios is the best you can get right now and my pic quality is great, I'll just have to see if the pic quality is good enough or not.

Oh, there is no cloud DVR yet but it's supposedly coming and right now that $200 Tivo shows out of stock.

I'm going to sign up for this (and keep Frontier for now) and I'll report back how it's going.

Bob

N
N

It's the combo of the Tivo OTA and the DirecTV Now that was the tipping point for me. When I looked over my DISH recordings I was almost surprised to see that about half are OTA even though I watch virtually no prime time shows. Morning and evening news, network & local, all the late night shows, and many PBS shows. I then pick and choose bits and pieces. For instance, I might binge "best of" late nite interviews/monologs totalling an hour or so on weekends. Even though the Tivo OTA is out of stock, the deal is still posted, so I'd presume it can still be back-ordered at half price.

OTA PQ is of course the best available, and PQ on the DTV Now surprised me by looking 1080-ish after a minute to stabilize (and unfortunately sometimes a stutter-buffer or frame freeze in the first couple of minutes). After that, good to go. Don't forget to set 1080 in prefs. My guess is that this is the kind of thing that's likely to improve.

The smooth functionality of DISH's STB is what's likely to be missed most here. But I like the tradeoff.

I will also follow up after I've had a chance to watch more..no time here since Tuesday.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Nozart
The smooth functionality of DISH's STB is what's likely to be missed most here. But I like the tradeoff.

That's what it boils down to, isn't it? That $35/month deal is temporary. The regular price for everything will be $60/month and another fiver for HBO if I want it. I know that when I drop Frontier my internet by itself will be $60. Call it $100 per month with the special deal or $120 without it. So I'm saving about $40-50. The Frontier DVR is a 3 tuner and works perfect. If I manage to get that Tivo it's about $17/month for the first year. For what I do it's beginning to look like minimal point shaving. It's not like I'm broke and simply can't afford it. Hmmmm...

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's the latest from Youtube:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/apps/a25443/youtube-wants-to-sell-you-tv/

This article says it includes unlimited DVR functions presumably online. I wonder if that will include the ability to skip commercials?

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Following your journey here closely Bob. I have both Comcast TV and internet. While I love the internet speed and reliability, the cost and my use of their TV services are becoming questionable, especially after they jumped my service from an introductory $90 a month to $160 a month for the same service.

Like you, I am seriously looking at cutting the cord on the TV side while keeping their internet service. Its definitely a trade off with other services, guess I've become addicted to what Comcast offers.

Did notice the YouTube announcement yesterday, searched, but haven't found any further details. This seems like it might be the one. With their backing by Google, they have a built in subscribed base. If this can be converted, it may just be the game changer.

Keep this thread going, I'm definitely following.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
How they got me is this. My favorite stations are not in the basic tier. However, the stations I want are not in one tier, so I had to buy 2 programming tiers. I am going to DEEPLY research the live sports thing though. Even though all I have is the Browns for my NFL team, I have the Cavs and Indians, so one champion and one that was an out away from the World Series last year. I do like my teams. If I can find them free, it may be time to cut the cord here too. My TV is about $159 of my total bill, bundled with internet it is almost $200. I have 70mbps down though and like that speed.

Last edited by eddie1261; 03/20/17 04:32 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Believe me Eddie I've checked out the sports problem very deeply and so far, no good answers. If you haven't bought that package through the cable provider and you find the game somewhere, it's blacked out.

Here in LA the Lakers signed a multibillion dollar deal with Time Warner, now Spectrum and dropped all local TV broadcasts so I can't even put up an antenna and get any games. It sucks man. If you're a sports fan you're simply screwed. About the only thing I can say is there are so many (as in millions) of people in the same boat I've read about "possibilities" being considered to somehow get the sports ala carte. The big question of course is at what cost? If it costs us fifty bucks a month to get them then who cares?

After digging into this I learned it's the cable company sub fees that's funding all the leagues and paying the players salaries. Advertising on broadcast TV isn't even a drop in that bucket. It's all coming from us paying for those bundles.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I wonder if that will include the ability to skip commercials?

Well, I'm wondering no more, here's the bad news:

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/04/12/youtube-tv-customers-will-be-forced-to-watch-commercials-on-recorded-shows/

It's obvious they're gonna get us one way or the other. Everybody hates commercials especially the ones on cable... "WAIT, there's more..."

I'd slit my wrists if I was forced to watch all that crap.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
For sports, I've been hearing about this lately, though no personal experience ..
https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks but for for me this doesn't have Spectrum which carries the Lakers or TNT which handles the few times they're on national TV. I see it costs $35 and my internet alone would be $60. That's the same $95 with the new DirecTV streaming service. Add in a few subs like Netflix or whatever and I'm close to what I'm paying now but without the 3 tuner DVR capability.

I don't see any free lunches any time soon.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Hey Bob! Sorry for resurrecting this old post but I just got into the cord cutting game for the first time.

My experience is much like Beagle below in that I'm an AT&T cable and internet user spending about the same on the cable part.

Originally Posted By: Beagle
I cut the cord about a year ago. I had been paying AT&T U-verse $150/month for about 200 channels of crap and I could never find anything I wanted to watch!

we also have AT&T for internet - I increased our download plan to 50Mbps and dropped UVerse, bought an antenna to pick up local broadcasts, subscribed to Hulu and Amazon prime and I'm still saving nearly $100/month!

In my case, I'm 10 miles out of St. Louis on the Illinois side. The first purchase was an indoor digital antenna that just hangs on the window facing the city. I get about 5 main channels and each one has 3 or 4 sub channels so that's 20+ OTA channels.

Another thing I had to figure out was multiple rooms with TV. I wanted to go with a new TIVO OTA DVR but they want you to buy more equipment with each room. Also, in 2 of the 3 rooms with TV, I have dumb (older, non-HDMI/USB port) TVs. My low-cost solution to that was to purchase two of those $39 Amazon Firesticks and plug those into HDMI-to-Composite(RCA Cable) adaptors for each TV. Now all TVs are set up to stream video.

Final step was to purchase a Tablo 4-Tuner OTA DVR. This one is nice since it just connects to my home network and digital antenna. I can stream live TV off the digital antenna on any TV in the house as well as record any of that through the Tablo. I can stream straight to my phone as well even away from home. I purchased an external USB drive for the Tablo to store recorded TV on, 4TB (excessive but $99 Amazon special).

I also subscribe to Netflix and Hulu (about $19/month total). So between the subscriptions and local TV, I'm covered fairly well and bye-bye to expensive cable.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
I just cut my cable also, as well as switched internet service providers at the same time. I had ATT UVerse, but switched to Cox hi speed internet (4 times the speed I had with ATT at a lower cost).

I get about 45 stations with my 45-mile range antenna mounted about 20 feet up. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS, plus a ton of independents.

I share Netflix with my son and HBO Go with my sister. I bought the TiVo OTA (one time cost, and you get the 2-week look ahead TV Guide without a monthly fee). It also has the HBO and NetFlix apps integrated. My wife loves it. We are definitely not lacking for content.

Based on what I was paying for cable, everything pays for itself in about five months.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Great to hear John! That TIVO looked like a really good box.

The Tablo I bought has a monthly/yearly guide fee but they also offer a lifetime guide fee that I used to avoid future charges on the 2-week look ahead guide.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
Veteran
And we found that most of what we watched was on the networks anyway, so we're not losing much without cable. We switched as the season ended, so we didn't miss any shows (the few we did, we just watched on-demand from the network web sites - I have an old laptop next to the TV plugged in via HDMI and a wireless mouse keyboard). We just reset season passes (TIVO calls it OnePass) for all the shows we want and then watch at our leisure. Also, the picture quality is better than we were getting from cable, since OTA is uncompressed HD.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
The picture quality is better than we were getting from cable, since OTA is uncompressed HD.

Yes! I enjoy the sharp image.

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nothing to be sorry about Steve, I've been hoping this thread would be updated. My whole situation has changed. I've just retired and a house purchase came up suddenly that I couldn't turn down so now I live up in the mountains 125 miles outside of LA. Great area but no cable so my cord cutting options are limited. ATT is running fiber optic within 5 or 10 miles of me and I've been told it's coming into my community but not yet. For business reasons I must have internet (I'm now working part time as a tax consultant) so I just put in Viasat internet which works well enough and DirecTV as a bundle. Viasat is much better than HughesNet but it's no good for HD streaming so none of this cool stuff will work for me but maybe it will in a year or so.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195