Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi,
I am playing a song in BIAB with style _Diximed.sty. It is a real tracks style. I tried replacing the melody with a real track trumpet rather than a harmonica. However it seems to want to change the melody notes. One time I got it to work but when I saved the file it created SGU instead of MGU (I assume the S means solo and the M means melody). Personally I wish it would make all saves the same extension. However when I brought it back in the trumpet was doing a solo instead of the melody. So can I only change the melody instrument if I am using a midi track or is there a way to force the real track replacement to play the melody?

Thanks,
John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
If you save a song the extension .SG? indicates no melody. .Mg? indicates there is a melody.

With regards to instruments, midi tracks will follow the melody you have entered.

Real tracks will follow the chords but NOT the melody. They are designed for accompaniment and/or solos.

Allanah

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Okay, thanks Allanah.
John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Last edited by Pipeline; 12/10/16 11:45 AM.
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
So where is the video that tells us how to pop in a real track instrument to do melody at no additional cost above and beyond what we paid for BIAB :-)

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Download Sforzando
install it, it will be in C:\Program Files\Plogue\sforzando\VST

download a free SFZ Trumpet or whatever

insert Sforzando into the Melodoy vst plugin slot

import it into Sforzando VST

Open in a new Tab full screen

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB_SForzando.gif (1013.59 KB, 153 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
So where is the video that tells us how to pop in a real track instrument to do melody at no additional cost above and beyond what we paid for BIAB :-)

I think you're joking here right?

If not, you don't understand what Real Tracks are. They're not single notes that will follow a midi file. I'm assuming you know what a midi file is and the difference between midi and audio? Anyway, RT's are prerecorded audio. What you're asking is exactly the same as asking how do you change a track on your favorite commercial CD so it will follow a Biab melody line. Short of using some really sophisticated and expensive high level software, you can't do it.

Btw, to change the subject I'm curious what you wound up using for mixers and stuff for your online jam sessions.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Think we should go easy here Bob.

Not everyone has your expertise .

Some times posters get a bit lost..?

Ive done it.

Thanks Pipeline...Again..

Take care

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
I actually was joking :-) But if the original question had not been answered maybe I would not have been. When I read all the links I was thinking this was all about me buying a product I didn't want so I thought I would ask that question knowing(strongly suspecting) I would not get an answer.

Before I asked the question I kind of thought that maybe BIAB real tracks were individual notes recorded and the program assembled the little tid bits just as it does with the midi. To me (as a programmer) it would make a lot of sense to do that. However I would not be surprised if that could be plagued with practical issues that may make it impossible.

I bought the Behringer UFX1604. We had the first jam last Sunday. The mixer is fine (great is a better word). There is more info on all this in the Real Band Thread where I found out about the UFX1604. After asking a new question on the Real Band forum I was able to pick up the tracks that the mixer recorded then mix the down with Real Band. So I am some day going to be a Real Band expert - in my dreams at least :-) I thanked you Bob in that first Real Band thread. I guess you didn't see it.

Last edited by bowlesj; 12/10/16 04:09 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
John

What version do you have for biab.

Are you gigging..?

Is this why you are here ..MEANING ..do you want to add more to your band..

You can save in wav ..mp3 etc..

What is it you want to do..?

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Colly, I have version 2016 (438). I set up Jazz Karaoke Jams where we use BIAB for the backing tracks. I am 62 and it gives me something to do :-) The idea is to get people who use BIAB out to a new level where they socialize, are not afraid to make mistakes and get performing experience. BIAB keeps them from speeding up and makes it so the jam always goes on as long as at least two people are there. The songs are preplanned on the web using common fake books to ensure things go well. So currently I am doing exactly what I want to do - having fun :-)

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
.....I bought the Behringer UFX1604. We had the first jam last Sunday. The mixer is fine (great is a better word). There is more info on all this in the Real Band Thread where I found out about the UFX1604. After asking a new question on the Real Band forum I was able to pick up the tracks that the mixer recorded then mix the down with Real Band. So I am some day going to be a Real Band expert - in my dreams at least :-) I thanked you Bob in that first Real Band thread. I guess you didn't see it.

Okay now I remember you put me on to the Behringer UFX1602 direct to USB Disk recording, so I bought one it should be here very soon !!!! no more laptops for live recording.
I will do videos up all day for you !!
Thanks.

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Pipeline for the info. I never noticed your example of how to use Sforzando with BIAB until just now. I will check into it (assuming I can use it with my 2016 438 version of BIAB.) I keep my UFX1604 covered in the plastic it came in whenever I am not using it. I want to keep the pots as clean as possible for as long as possible. I am so happy with it I want to keep using it for as long as possible. I was very careful to not rip the plastic when I took it out of the plastic since I wanted it to also protect it against the rain or snow. It is worth being very careful unwrapping it.

Last edited by bowlesj; 12/10/16 05:21 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"I keep my UFX1604 covered in the plastic it came in whenever I am not using it. I want to keep the pots as clean as possible for as long as possible. "

Yes I will do the same, thanks for that, I hate scratchy pots.

Veteran
Veteran
I haven't followed that original RB thread for a bit, been very busy. That mixer looks good.

My comments about audio and midi were not meant to make fun of John or anything like that. It's just that the question about using RT's to play a midi melody line comes up like every day almost. So many have no clue and it just gets repeated over and over and over...

I even jokingly came up with Bob's Mantra maybe ten years ago, here it is:

"Midi is not audio, audio is not midi ommmmm".

Midi is digital computer commands. If it were possible to tap into that with an audio cable it would probably sound like BRAAAkkkakkakakk. What midi does is send those commands to a synth either software or hardware. It's the synth that produces the audio. A midi melody track has absolutely squat to do with an audio recording which is what an RT is.

When you think of midi as a computer command you know why it's so limited. Even the best midi tracks can't sound like a good live studio session player laying down some tracks which is also what the RT's are. If the RT's were broken down into single notes, you have no performance plus that's what a sampler is. If you want a sampler just buy SampleTank 3 or Kontakt or whatever. There's no need for PG to reinvent that wheel by using the RT's as single notes. Also, it would be very difficult to come up with something new as a sampler that isn't patented by someone else.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Midi is not audio, audio is not midi ommmmm"

That's the only problem I have now I can't record midi Drums/Keys with the Behringer UFX1602, so if the Band has Keys or midi drums I need some way to record that without a laptop, ommmmm ????

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There are some Trumpets, and a few other SFZ instruments here: http://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/

and more http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com.au/

I will do a tutorial how to create your own Sforzando User Instrument Library, for all the SFZ Instruments you download or create.
In the pic I just added them to the PG Library in a User folder, but it's best to make your own Library separate from PG's as they might update it.

Open in new Tab full screen

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB_Sforzando_Sound_Library.jpg (652.4 KB, 98 downloads)
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Quote:
That's the only problem I have now I can't record midi Drums/Keys with the Behringer UFX1602

I guess you want to go direct to the mixer with midi then go to a PA amp from there which could not be done. If you can get the midi amplified before the mixer or get it into a amplifier which has a line output tap you would be okay or even just mike the amp. The Behringer UFX1604 has those 4 stereo line level inputs which can also be used with instrument level output with a boost in the input gain. Also I tried sending an XLR mike into the line inputs with a low to high impedance transformer with 1/4 inch phono and that worked (I just had to increase the input gain). My talkback mike comes in through those lines with the input gain increased as well. All 16 tracks get recorded every time. The ones not being used get recorded as empty.

Last edited by bowlesj; 12/11/16 12:45 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I would just like to be able to record the midi drums midi output rather than just the stereo, with midi I can mix the individual drums after, same with the midi keys if I have the midi I can change the sound. The Tascam had midi input that I recorded to the laptop.

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
I don't know much about it but maybe this google search helps "amplify your midi keyboard". Of course you loose the midi.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193