Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Love it tommy
what a great write ,cracking vocals sound with the unison harmony.
keep doing this great stuff plz tommy
cheers john

Os Windows Biab 2018. studio one pro 3 ozone 8 focusrite 214 se electronics Gemini mic
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice and I both knew before and this has further affirmed that you have a feel for bluegrass. The real deal. Not just someone doing a bluegrass song because it's a popular vibe. The arrangement both vocally and instrumentally well reflect bluegrass structures, e.g., harmonies, fills, intros/outros and solos.

We watched the Dolly Parton fundraiser for Gatlinburg a couple of nights ago. She raised nine million dollars and had gathered an interesting collection of performers. Kudos to her. Nothing came close to this song. We don't say that lightly. (Janice just said they might have raised 10 million had this song been part of it!). A few of the performers just drug out their old warhorses. Few of them seemed to hit the balance of both entertainment and a sense of commitment to what the show was ultimately all about.

It's rare, even as popular as bluegrass is nowadays, to hear a BG song that has a topical subject and "works" like yours. Send it to Del!

J&B

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 12/19/16 03:06 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
+1 to what everyone's said already. Such a beautiful place - it's so sad. You did a fabulous job on this Tom.

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Tom,

I really like this! A lot of the bluegrass tracks don't reflect current trends in the genre... but you've assembled a song here that absolutely NAILS the Merlefest sound!

My only problem with this is learning that you frequently get this close to NC without letting me know so I can drive over to Tennessee and buy you a beer.
Pat, One of these years I am going to make it to Merlefest. Thanks for your kind remarks and I will be drinking that beer this summer. We're coming to NC for two weeks. I'll let you know when we nail down the dates. I'm looking forward to another great conversation. This time I'll lay off my wild tales and listen to some more of yours. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Well done.

This is a perfect tribute. The genre was also perfect.

Story behind the news: Back in Jacksoneville NC, One of the bands I was in at the time had a drummer play with us for a few weeks or so. His name was Mark J. Through the years, we all kinda drifted apart and went down different paths in life. Facebook and one of the musicians from that town/era brought us all back together. As it turned out Mark had moved from eastern NC to the Tenn mountain town of Gatlinburg. He was still playing drums and messing with music. When the fires swept through the town and the hills around Gatlinburg, unfortunately, his house was among the hundreds of casualties, and he and his wife and family literally lost everything they owned.

Good song.
Hey Herb, Glad you liked it and I hope your friend can get some of the help that is being made available. Enjoy the Holidays. Tom
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Tommy,

Tragic subject - great song. Reminds me of some Don Reno at one of the Bluegrass festivals we used to frequent in California.

Prayers for Gatlinburg, and if people want to contribute:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/12/01/gatlinburg-chamber-establishes-relief-fund/94733176/

Regards,

Bob
Bob, Thanks for your comments and especially having my back with the relief fund link. A glaring omission on my part. Happy Holidays to you and yours. Tom

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Tom,

An excellent write and a fitting tribute to what sounds like an awful tragedy.

Love the vocals and some fine sounding harmonies.

Great job,
Jez

Last edited by receder; 12/20/16 06:33 AM.

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Tom. Real and true is how this feels. Good music. Also has a vitality and optimism that's great to hear. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really well done Tommy! I truly loved it.

Excellent instrumentation, songwriting and mix.

Superb in every way.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom,

This is another outstanding song - love the vocal and the overall delivery.

Bob

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

Heartbreaking.

You have documented this loss in just the manner that it ought to be. The perfect genre. A truly excellent write - it sounds like a classic from first listen. The production, arrangement and mix could not be done better - as good as it gets.

Your vocals and harmonies on this are excellent - and one of the best vocal mixes ever on these forums - a true "part of the whole".

This is SO good. You should enter this in the Merlefest song contest - then one of the top recording bluegrass/newgrass/Americana groups needs to record it...

I just keep thinking "Wow!"

fj

This is a great review! Thank you so much. I am really thrilled you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Excellent write and performance! The mix is great as are the vocals.
The feeling and emotion of the song seem to be perfect to me.

Kenny

Our thoughts exactly.
Very good work Tommy.
Thanks for the nice comments. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom.

Bluegrass was not at all what I was expecting after reading the lyrics, but I have to say that the whole production works SO well.

It's a classic country sound and somehow the tragedy bound up in the words isn't in any way diminished by the up-tempo backing.

Beautifully conceived and executed.

Thoughts are with all those who are personally involved.

ROG.
Rog, Glad you liked it and glad you mentioned the tempo. Sad songs are sometimes too sad when played slow. Also there is feeling of hope in the last verse so a medium tempo seemed appropriate. Happy Holidays, Tom
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,
What an awful story but this is a great tribute, from the heart.
Great choice of instruments, great mix and your voice is perfect!

You did good on this song, Tom, real good. The bar you have set is still WA-AY above me frown laugh

Hope you have a good Christmas

Alyn

I have to agree with Alyn, except the part that any bar is above him, although yours is very high! Really good stuff Tom!! Take care. Greg
Greg, Thanks for commenting. This thing about the bar kinda doesn't work at all because thankfully we are all so different. Have a Merry Christmas. Tom
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Tom, great job about a tough subject! What a sad thing to see happen to such a beautiful place ( been there many times myself), but even more tragic is the lost lives and affected families. You had a great choice of instruments that all worked well together! The lyric and vocal - excellent! Thanks, Torrey
Torrey, Thanks for the kind remarks. I appreciate it. Tom

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is a great song and I can only echo what others have said that is indeed a great and sad loss.

However, you have created a musical document by making this song about that event so others may remember when hearing it, and that's a nice touch.

Great music, vocals and production.

Cheers.
Mike.

Mike.

SongBrain - AI Generator
Shiny Emeralds - Latest Single

Win 10 Home 64bit - Ryzen7 3700x / 32Gb
BIAB / RB 2024 For Windows
EWQL Composer Cloud X
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome song Tommy. What a devastating situation. The weather patterns have been changing rapidly. We also had a terrible forest fire here in Northern Alberta last summer. The city of Fort McMurray pop 61000 had to be evacuated as it got caught in its path. It seems like one weather catastrophe after another... Awesome vocal, lyric and backtrack
Scott, I remember reading about that fire. I'm afraid these weather problems are the new normal. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: Biglad
Love it tommy
what a great write ,cracking vocals sound with the unison harmony.
keep doing this great stuff plz tommy
cheers john
John, Thanks much for taking the time to comment. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom,

Bluegrass at its best! You're not just a singer/songwriter ... you're an entertainer. This was terrific! Wuith only your voice and instruments you put on a show. We loved this.

And the place where my son, daughter and I stayed in 2005 perished in the fire. Such a tragedy , especially the loss of life. You told the story as good as it could be told.

Merry Christmas and wishing you & yours a wonderful 2017.

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice and I both knew before and this has further affirmed that you have a feel for bluegrass. The real deal. Not just someone doing a bluegrass song because it's a popular vibe. The arrangement both vocally and instrumentally well reflect bluegrass structures, e.g., harmonies, fills, intros/outros and solos.

We watched the Dolly Parton fundraiser for Gatlinburg a couple of nights ago. She raised nine million dollars and had gathered an interesting collection of performers. Kudos to her. Nothing came close to this song. We don't say that lightly. (Janice just said they might have raised 10 million had this song been part of it!). A few of the performers just drug out their old warhorses. Few of them seemed to hit the balance of both entertainment and a sense of commitment to what the show was ultimately all about.

It's rare, even as popular as bluegrass is nowadays, to hear a BG song that has a topical subject and "works" like yours. Send it to Del!

J&B

I have been a fan of Bluegrass for most of my adult life. I love Del McCoury. Thanks for these wonderful comments. It means an awful lot to me coming from Pro Grassers as yourselves. This is one of the best reviews I've ever gotten! Tom
Originally Posted By: Sundance
+1 to what everyone's said already. Such a beautiful place - it's so sad. You did a fabulous job on this Tom.
Thanks Josie. I figured you had probably been there a time or two. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: receder
Tom,

An excellent write and a fitting tribute to what sounds like an awful tragedy.

Love the vocals and some fine sounding harmonies.

Great job,
Jez
Thanks, Glad you liked it. Tom
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Tom. Real and true is how this feels. Good music. Also has a vitality and optimism that's great to hear. Cheers.
Thanks Richard, I tried to leave a note of optimism in the last verse. I appreciate you pointing that out. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Really well done Tommy! I truly loved it.

Excellent instrumentation, songwriting and mix.

Superb in every way.
Thanks David, I appreciate the comments. Tom
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

This is another outstanding song - love the vocal and the overall delivery.

Bob
Thanks Bob for the comments and your continued support of my songs. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike. R.
This is a great song and I can only echo what others have said that is indeed a great and sad loss.

However, you have created a musical document by making this song about that event so others may remember when hearing it, and that's a nice touch.

Great music, vocals and production.

Cheers.
Mike.
Thanks Mike. A musical document sums it up. Tom
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom,

Bluegrass at its best! You're not just a singer/songwriter ... you're an entertainer. This was terrific! Wuith only your voice and instruments you put on a show. We loved this.

And the place where my son, daughter and I stayed in 2005 perished in the fire. Such a tragedy , especially the loss of life. You told the story as good as it could be told.

Merry Christmas and wishing you & yours a wonderful 2017.

Alan & Di
Al & Di, Glad you liked it. Tom

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent mix, production, and song. Nice jib

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Excellent mix, production, and song. Nice jib
Thanks Elliot. I appreciate it. Tom

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200