Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
....... what chords whould go good with a meoldy. .....

You can use any chord with any melody. The key is in the context of how you use that chord where, in the melody, you're using it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
....... what chords would go good with a melody. .....

Just voice it out and if it doesn't sound like 2 trains colliding, it's okay. Your song, your ear, your circus, your monkey, your choice.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Always my favorite graphic. What chords easily lead to the next chord? Just remember these are guidelines, not rules. Any chord can follow any chord, but it might make it tough to sound good in some situations. From this site: http://mugglinworks.com/chordmaps/chartmaps.htm

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Just in case that one is not familiar with the "Circles": The circle of fifths is usually clockwise. The same circle counter-clockwise is the circle of fourths.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
I have also read that with maybe with a few exceptions a song should be around 3 mins long, else you run the risk of totally boring your audience or anyone you are pitching the song to, exceptions of course to this rule.

And if pitching a song to someone keep the intro and solo very very short.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 12/13/16 08:50 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Great info in this post on songwriting. And so we plan on making a dedicated Songwriting forum, so a thread like this doesn't get lost in the "off-topic" world. We'll move this post to this new forum when ready as the first post in what I heop will be a great forum for Songwriters (and budding songwriters) to join in the discussions geared to songwriting.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
PG Music folks are remarkably tuned into their customers. Two new forums in a week! It would take some companies weeks to do this...if they did it at all. It is amazing how many companies just don't get it.

Thanks!

J&B

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Great info in this post on songwriting. And so we plan on making a dedicated Songwriting forum, so a thread like this doesn't get lost in the "off-topic" world. We'll move this post to this new forum when ready as the first post in what I heop will be a great forum for Songwriters (and budding songwriters) to join in the discussions geared to songwriting.

I've thought for some time that a Song Writing Forum here would be good idea.

There are a boatload of people here posting their song writing efforts and we all know song writing is far from easy.
A plethora of subjects to write about, ways to approach it and actually complete a song one can be pleased with....should others like it...truly a plus.

Good idea....
Another forum here for me to chime in on, possibly to the dismay of some. smile

Back to it....

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
PG Music folks are remarkably tuned into their customers. Two new forums in a week! It would take some companies weeks to do this...if they did it at all.

And now the battle rages on where it will be located....top, bottom, second from the bottom... LOL!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
T
T
My first post!

It's interesting to read the initial comments of song writing. They are like many other posts about writing and learning music, aka you gotta learn that theory.

But something to consider is that writing music is about communication, sharing your thoughts, ideas, dreams, etc. when we first learn to communicate do we first have to understand the "theory"? Do we need to know what a verb, noun, predicate, or conjunction is before we can say,"Mama"?

I say first just start doing it! Write something, anything. Get those feelings out, save them, record them, then do it again. Next learn some new chords and write songs with those. Once you get used to communicating learn some theory, not all at once, just a little. Then go back to writing, using a bit of what you learned.

Remember you spent 5 or more years of your life learning to speak, learning to communicate, before you started to learn the theory of how words work. I'm not saying that's the only way to do it. Just sharing a thought.

Last edited by Tmidiman; 12/13/16 10:43 AM.
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
That is awesome, Kemmrich!

I've been trying to come up with a unique, mid-song key transition, then return to the original key (it's not a bridge...just a little couple of bars/anomalies for interest's sake). I'll be looking into that website.

(Added)

And, Tmidiman.... EXACTLY. Write. Don't know where to start?...just write, free-flow...and don't worry about it. Something will happen eventually. It might stink, it probably will stink, but some day it might not. Old story:

"Keen to not forget his magical dream melody, McCartney wrote some temporary lyrics for the song – about scrambled eggs, and named it after the breakfast dish. They went: "Scrambled eggs, oh, my baby, how I love your legs…" "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/the-beatles/11680415/Yesterday-the-song-that-started-as-Scrambled-Eggs.html

Last edited by Andy A - USA; 12/13/16 05:33 PM.

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
Tmidiman #382208 12/13/16 11:21 AM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Tmidiman
My first post!It's interesting to read the initial comments of song writing. They are like many other posts about writing and learning music, aka you gotta learn that theory.
Just sharing a thought.

I concur....

I've read posts (a different forum) by new song writers/musicians saying 'I don't need any music theory, insert artist here doesn't read music...".
On and on....

Well, it is my opinion that if one actually wants to excel at music (whatever aspect) learning the language to some degree is necessary.
Especially if one wants to interact with others that are far more proficient.

But...that's just me.

Carry on....

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Step 1 of songwriting IN BIAB is entering chords onto a chart. If you know zero theory, how you going to do that? If you know zero theory, you might enter the key of L not knowing it only goes from A to G.

See, I run into this a lot, where I am trying to talk to someone and I use a phrase like "That first syllable comes before the downbeat." If they don't know what the downbeat is, how can they understand what I mean?

That's why my long post included the term "basic basics". Note values, time signatures, chord wheel. You don't have to know the brand of clavier Mozart used.... but you DO have to know what 3/4 and 4/4 mean, or how can you even begin charting? I mean, even if you know C, F, G and Am, that will get you started writing a simplistic song. But is it a waltz, a shuffle, a stomp, or a swing tune? You have to know what those are to pick the right style. (Again, these comments are heavily related to BIAB.)

Some of the comments that border on the ridiculous like people who tell me that Frank Sinatra didn't write... please. There is no book called "How to write hit songs without putting any effort into it" that is all blank pages. It takes work, it takes time, and to be good, it takes knowledge. We have a handful of users here who want us to learn for them. It doesn't work that way. There are also a lot of people who say "I'm not that good of a player." Well, why not? Spend on hour a day learning to play better. That can only make you a better writer, right? Music, even as a hobby, takes effort. Nobody expects a guy writing his first song ever to place it on a Billboard chart, but even Diane Warren wrote her first song at some point. Everybody also doesn't have the luxury of being able to put as much time into music as they might like, as that pesky "work" thing gets into the way, and for those that have kids, you have soccer games and swim meets and such. All depends on how much you want it. At the very worst, you have the chance to learn some new stuff.

I used to get someone at almost every gig come to me at break and say something like "I wish I could play keyboards like you do." My answer, for decades, was "Why can't you? I didn't come from the womb knowing how to play. I can tell you first hand that wishing isn't going to make it happen. So start taking some lessons, practice every day, and in 6 months or so, come out and do a song with us." Really does come down to return on investment.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/13/16 11:58 AM.

eddie1261 #382218 12/13/16 12:03 PM
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Step 1 of songwriting IN BIAB is entering chords onto a chart. If you know zero theory, how you going to do that? If you know zero theory, you might enter the key of L not knowing it only goes from A to G.

Ha!....the key of "L".

I can comfortably state that I've written a song in damn near every key even though it really challenges my (lack of) vocal ability.
At least I know Q is the relative minor!

On a serious note...learning the language to some degree is incumbent on all of us.

Back to topic....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 12/13/16 12:05 PM.
Songwriting
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Thanks everyone. My main issue with chord theory is knowing how to combine chords an scales with a melody. I took a class in college on lyrics writting, where I learned about various lyrical writting methods. However, I am not a singer, and therefore I prefer to write instrumental songs. I guess I should have clarified that my song writing style is really more on the composition side rather then the traditional singer-songwriter side.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks everyone. My main issue with chord theory is knowing how to combine chords an scales with a melody. I took a class in college on lyrics writting, where I learned about various lyrical writting methods. However, I am not a singer, and therefore I prefer to write instrumental songs. I guess I should have clarified that my song writing style is really more on the composition side rather then the traditional singer-songwriter side.

No worries smile

Here's the REALLY good news...your question started a whole knew part to the forum! How cool is that? So, great job!

Now, here is my take, don't be afraid to start with some short melodies, post them here, and ask! You will find that not only will you get suggestions, but explanations as to why! It's a FANTASTIC learning environment!

Don't be afraid to make "mistakes!" smile

Last edited by HearToLearn; 12/15/16 11:10 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
However, I am not a singer, and therefore I prefer to write instrumental songs.

Don't let that stop you. Somebody wrote all those songs you hear on the radio, and often it is not the one singing it.

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is great! I love this topic on the forum!

I'm no professional, but I've been writing songs since I was about 8 or 9. At that age I had no knowledge of music theory, but just a budding interest in writing poems and "making up songs". That is how most of my relatives and friends described what I did... I just "made up stuff". Kind of like lying, but with a little more finesse!

As for a technique for writing a song... to me it almost always starts with a lyric. Usually a snippet of a thought about someone or something close to me. Then I play around with it and guessimate a basic tune on the guitar. After a lot of tweaking of the lyrics and melody, then I'll usually input it into BIAB and search for a suitable "feel". Almost without exception, Band In A Box will take me in a completely different direction! Sometimes a simple acoustic guitar and vocal song becomes a monster of 20 odd Realtracks!

Of course, there are also times where the song just appears - almost like magic - melody and lyrics together. That's pretty cool. Some of my favorite songs that I've written were conceived in minutes. Others I've worked on for weeks or months and still haven't finished.

All this hyperbole on my part is simply to agree with others who've said that there is no "one way" to write a song. ANY and EVERY way that results in a song are good methods. And as you (we, I) continue to grow in our musical knowledge, those songs we create will show greater craftsmanship. BUT... not necessarily greater inspiration than before, nor greater acceptance by others. That, my friends, is up to the Muses.

Jim "g33zrj1m"

BIAB 2020 with Reaper 6, on an AMD 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. Retired and trying to make some serious music, before Arthur Ritis spoils the fun.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Very true, many ways to get to the same end result.

In my case for the last year I've worked with a songwriting partner, I do the music and she does the melody/lyrics.

Mostly I come up with the basic idea for the song, I come up with a chord progression for verses and chorus etc. on guitar. At that point I have an idea what I want it to sound like so I transfer it over to BIAB to build the basic bed. Then I send it over to Chris and if she likes it she comes up with the melody and the lyrics. Lots of back and forth of course as the song develops, moving verses around, etc.

In one case she already had a song written with lyrics and melody and sent me over a demo of just her singing. I found a chord progression that worked well with the melody, and built the bed based on that.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
.....for the last year I've worked with a songwriting partner, I do the music and she does the melody/lyrics.

Collaboration. Always a fun process and it's like magic when you are writing with the right partner. Most of the songs I've written, the ones I consider my "better songs" are all collaborations.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195