Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm opening up this discussion here because, even though it refers to music I've posed in the User Showcase, I don't think it's appropriate to start a discussion there.

I've posted links to a few of my tunes up at Soundcloud.com in the User Showcase sub-forum and I've just noticed something.

I went back and listened to the original .wav files that I recorded -- before converting them to mp3's, which were what I uploaded to Soundcloud. I used Realband to check out the .wav files and I noticed they were kind of quiet, so I used the PG limiter and 10-band EQ to punch up the sound quite a bit. Well, I loaded a couple of these remixed tunes to Soundcloud, and guess what? I couldn't tell the difference between the new ones and the original ones that I'd recorded at a much more quiet level. I mean, I was ping-ponging back and forth between two versions of the same tune -- one supposedly recorded at a more quiet level, and one remixed to be hotter -- and I couldn't tell a difference. So, I'm thinking that Soundcloud actually adds some limiting and compression, at the very least, to uploads to bring up the levels to where they ought to be.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has noticed this and if you might know exactly what Soundcloud does to a piece of muusic once it's been uploaded onto their site.

After A-B'ing a couple of tunes of mine, it's really got me curious now. So, any info you might could pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Everything uploaded to soundcloud, including mp3's, gets trans-coded to 128kbps mp3 for streaming playback.

They recommend that you upload WAV files to get the best playback results.

If you are uploading an MP3, I guess what you are hearing is the audio file being compressed twice?

Veteran
Veteran

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the feed back, guys. Janice and Bud, that link was especially helpful.

Veteran
Veteran
every upload server site for music, with a few exceptions, uses compression on the files.

As pointed out above, they compress to 128. So upload the best quality you can and then check the upload for quality.

I think Box.com lets you upload waves

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Soundcloud also accepts .wav's, but I prefer uploading mp3's there to save disk space.

Last edited by cooltouch; 12/30/16 03:59 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cooltouch
Soundcloud also accepts .wav's, but I prefer uploading mp3's there to save disk space.

No, you should definitely upload wav file there to get the best playback quality, as I said they auto-compress everything you upload no matter what format, so uploading an mp3 will give you compromised results because of the double compression.

Uploading mp3's will not increase the number of songs they will allow you to upload, they care about the number of minutes you are using, not the amount of disk space you are using. You are allowed 3 hours total playing time for the free account, 6 hours for the pro account.

Veteran
Veteran
Amen to that. I have the free account - always upload wavs.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification. I guess i should replace everything, although it appears I will lose all comments if I do.

Expert
Expert
I generally upload 256kbs MP3 files and they sound fine to me. Wav files are too big! I guess I could upload a FLAC file if I want uncompressed files to be downloaded. FLAC files can be about 1/2 the size of WAV files.

Studies on a 5 minute audio file: http://dsd-guide.com/size-comparison-chart-various-formats-dsd-wav-flac-mp3

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting link Kemmrich
What, no monkeys audio?

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

The truly lossless compression for sound.
You can bring it back to an exact bit for bit copy of the original source if desired. None of the others can do this .. pretty amazing. I'm surprised more true audiophiles don't prefer this one.
Been around 15 years and 10 million downloads, yet is never mentioned in these types of comparisons.

Last edited by rharv; 01/01/17 06:36 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Bob, I had forgotten about that and never checked it out. The web page is very convincing.

Are there selectable bit rates? Any suggestions for using it? Any compatibility problems to look out for (work in my car, work on cheap CD players etc. )?

Appreciate the suggestion. Maybe put a post in Tips and Tricks when you get time?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting, but I don't see anyway it would improve the SC issues??

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,
Which devices support it will vary, though most Windows stuff seems OK with it.
I use it for transferring and backing up. There are a few choices on size.
At default it seems to cut file sizes almost in half, yet in my testing I get an exact file match when uncompressed .. seems like it would have caught on more for that reason alone. I can backup twice as much audio on a given device yet lose nothing.
(plus source code is freely shared for Windows and Mac)

I have been pleasantly surprised to find it works in devices I wasn't sure of, but can't say every device will work. Have to experiment I guess. The creator went on to contribute to jriver, if you are familiar with that.

Janice & Bud,
Sorry I should have specified my reply was to Kemmrich's link. I edited it above.

Last edited by rharv; 01/01/17 07:02 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I was surprised to see that no Mac app is available. The PC world is much larger but Macs have a pretty big presence in the music arena.

Veteran
Veteran
Mac source code is available (as well as Visual Studio).. I'm pretty sure there are Mac apps out there..

"Monkey's Audio 4.18 SDK (with source code) (recently edited to fix an int/intn problem on Mac)"
This version was released 8/6/16. There were Linux and Mac fixes back in 2013, it's been available for most OS's for a while.
XLD is one Mac app (10,000 downloads this week?)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/
Last updated about a month ago.
It's still kickin'
wink

Last edited by rharv; 01/01/17 07:29 AM.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I was surprised to see that no Mac app is available. The PC world is much larger but Macs have a pretty big presence in the music arena.

Apple has ALAC (apple lossless codec), which is roughly like FLAC.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Veteran
Veteran
.. and XLD works with ALAC, FLAC and MAC.
you can easily have it all. smile
We live in good times.

Monkeys Audio is the only one I've personally used that can bring back a true bit-to-bit exact copy after the fact.
FLAC is very good, as is ALAC, but if you want to be sure ..

Veteran
Veteran
I tried it. One thing you have to make sure is to turn off the monkey sound when compression is complete! I noticed on a short 36 MB song it saved about 50% space, and each of the five or six compression levels was nearly the same size.

Adobe Audition 1.5 will not read an .ape file. I'll try it a few more places.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
It does seem that Monkeys Audio is relevant to this thread about SoundCloud, because you can upload a file of half the size without any loss in sound. Then you know any compression mangling is caused by SoundCloud, YouTube etc.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199