Print Thread
Go To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
And I set the click track again and said "Play just your high hat." Which he did. After 8 measures I sad "Now add snare." And 8 measures was okay. Then I said "Now bring in the kick." and as soon as the kick came in his meter went out the window. And I then said "THIS is what you need to do when you practice. Learn to play DRUMS, not songs.

And that was the end of that band. LOL!!!

Great advice for starting drummers, though! Hope he ended up listening laugh

He did not.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes, when you play out, do you play MP3s you have made or actually use BIAB?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Bob!

Thanks for sharing.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
We made our own 'instuments' such as a salt box partially filled with rice or dried beans for a shaker.

Technology has stolen much of those joyous memories.

Donny

Amen! cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Notes said, after talking about drummers...

"We've never missed rehearsal, never missed a gig, never showed up late, never showed up drunk, never took a long break, never acted unprofessionally, never refused to learn an often requested song, and never treated an audience member rudely."

You must have had some pretty suck-e drummers in your world if that is the way you pigeon hole all of them! shocked And if you are talking about other musicians also, then I apologize & bow to yours & Ed's perfection.

I hate to say it, but once again a few folks have to have a pi$$ing match on how great / pro / expert / what they would put up with / in someone else thread....it really brings down the level of the forum to where it is even below us poor, commoner's level of experience..... frown

But it gets old, and we have all heard it way too many times...so please do us a favor and start your own thread so you folks can go back & forth blowing smoke, and the rest of us poor, amateur, un-educated, no discipline blokes can get back to enjoying the trading of fun & worthwhile info! grin

Now I will insert the usual no offense meant, and it is not....really & truly.

Thank You. cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Notes, when you play out, do you play MP3s you have made or actually use BIAB?

I don't use BiaB live on the gig, here's what I do:
  1. If there is an appropriate MIDI style for the song I'm learning I'll start with BiaB and when done, export the MIDI file
  2. I do most of the work in Master Tracks Pro (discontinued but has the best groove/change filter I've found) - adding song specific and other parts, adjusting the groove, choosing the right sound for each instrument using my array of hardware synths with thousands of sounds, and so on.
  3. When everything is right and as good as I can get it, I'll record it using Power Tracks Pro Audio to make a WAV file.
  4. Next I'll use CDex to make a high bitrate, high quality mp3 file.
  5. I bring the mp3 files to work

Why not BiaB live? I find BiaB's output very good, but since auto-accompaniment parts tend to be generic, I find that with some work in a sequencer I can turn very good into excellent by adding things that BiaB or any other auto-accompaniment device can do.

At one time I played my MIDI files directly through the synth modules, but
  • I got tired for schlepping a 10 space road rack full of nothing but sound modules to the gig (I do one-nighters)
  • In the unlikely event a sound module should fail, I can't bring a duplicate of every one of them to every gig
By going with mp3s not only is my setup time quicker and easier, but I bring a spare computer booted up at all times on stage. In case of a problem, I simply move the USB end of the USB/Audio interface to the next computer. I use a USB/Audio interface because it gives me higher fidelity than the headphone jack and there are no pops or crackles if I accidentally jar the cable.

Why MIDI and not real tracks? The RTs are great, but the editing capability is almost nil. For example; I have over 24 clean guitar sounds ranging from the generic to specific sounds like Tele Rear Pickup, Tele front pickup and various Les Pauls, 335s, and so on. I'm not restricted to the RT instruments. Plus I can change notes to get the chord inversion I want, change parts/licks to more song specific ones, exaggerate the groove by changing the timing, balance individual drum instruments, and do millions of things not available with audio files. This is not to dis the RTs, I think they are genius, but they aren't my tool of choice. One nice thing about BiaB is that there are different tools for different situations and different ways of working with music - and there is definitely more than one right way to make music.

When playing the mp3s, I have a system down where I can make the decision of what to play next in the last few bars of the song I'm playing (if need be) and start the next one immediately.

This might be TMI. More complete details on how I make the backing tracks and use them on stage are explained on this page http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think we have a misunderstanding here. Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough.

I didn't mean to pick on drummers, it just so happens that a drummer was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back that finalized the decision to go duo.

BTW, my first instrument was drums, so I'm a drummer too.

I've been in bands since the 1960s and I've had problems with guitarists, bass players, keyboard players drummers and I have probably been a problem myself.

I've seen band members show up drunk or drugged, miss rehearsals, show up late for the gig, take long breaks, spend more time chasing a member of the opposite sex then doing their job on the gig, not learning their part before rehearsal, antagonizing management or audience members, and so on.

Not everybody in any profession takes their jobs as seriously as others do. Leilani and I take our job very seriously and have very strong work ethics.

I have been in good bands where we all took our jobs seriously, but that seems to be a rarity.

The only problem Leilani and I have is that neither one of us likes to be the 'band salesman'. Fortunately we have mostly repeat business and a few agents that throw work our way from time to time.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A few points or comments.

I don't play live but if I did I would use either high quality MP3 files or waves as Notes does. I'm a firm believer in keeping it easy and simple. I saw a band in Myrtle Beach many decades ago when Cakewalk was a midi sequencer. It was 2 guys...one on bass and one on guitar. They called themselves The Kick Brothers. Everything was midi or midi controlled and everything sounded amazing since they programmed all of the parts by hand. They had drum modules, piano modules, string pad modules, and even used midi for vocal FX and lights. The entire show was running on a 286 computer. They had as much gear as a normal band. Yeah, they sounded good but one module breaking down or crashing would stop the show.

Keep it simple and easy to do.

Drummers, click tracks, church and religion. Where do I start with this one? Church.... years ago I was in the church orchestra as a guitarist.... ( I have tons of stories I could tell about that experience but I will limit it to this short one ) I would come in and tune up using my tuner. I had referenced it to the piano since the piano wasn't easily adjusted. The piano was not on A-440 and I brought that to the attention of the music minister (MM) who eventually got the piano tuned professionally since it was slightly out of tune with itself as well as flat overall. Once that issue was resolved, I would tune up and play and my guitar sounded like it was out of tune but it wasn't. The rest of the orchestra was out of tune because the MM would tune them all by ear.... his ear, before the service. I used to have my tuner on watching the fiasco unfold. The bass player, who also used my tuner and agreed with my assessment, finally bought a nice tuner and donated it to the MM to use. The MM refused to use it during the tuning time before the service. He instead, totally eliminated any tuning during the sound check run through, and told the orchestra members the tuner would be laying on the piano in the choir room and they should tune up before the service. Of course, that never happened and the music continued to sound out of tune.

Here it is many years later, I'm no longer with the church, nor is the bass player, and the current drummer is a friend on Facebook. He just mentioned that the church has recently switched to a click track for precise tempo control rather than trusting someone to start the songs at the wrong tempo which did occur quite often.

Talk about politics and drama in the band.... you should play with a church group.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Talk about politics and drama in the band.... you should play with a church group.

Excuse the saying, but Amen to that! grin I played in 3 over a 4 year span and tho I was paid well (because they could not keep musicians all 3 had to outsource) it was worse than ANY country, rock, or pick-up band I ever played in! laugh

In the end it soured me to a lot of things...... frown

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jcspro40
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Excuse the saying, but Amen to that! ......In the end it soured me to a lot of things......

Maybe this should have been in the other thread about worst gigs, interesting things that happened, and musical catastrophes thread.... but I'll share it here since it is church related.

The church shall remain nameless for this account and same thing with the players. I was not playing actively with the band at the time. I don't recall the reasons.

However, the bass player was involved in an auto accident and was in very serious condition with shattered bones in his neck. I offered to fill the bass position until he was able to return. It would likely be months because he couldn't stand or speak and had a head brace they screw into your skull to keep your neck from moving.

Things went well for the first few weeks. But shortly lead singer girl didn't want me to have a mic. I was singing harmony in the appropriate places with the other singers and dared to ask for a bit of my voice in the monitors. She said it was "too much"....Then she told me not to sing on stage even without a mic because I looked "unprofessional" lip syncing. Ooooooh kay......that's when I first realized this was going to be "fun". I kept singing along to the music.

moving along....Let me describe the rig for the bass. The bass was plugged into a DI with a split output for the FOH and to a hot spot monitor with a 4" speaker for the player on stage. I could barely hear that 4" speaker so since the hot spot had an amp in it, I found an unused 10" floor wedge and placed it back by me on the floor so I could maybe hear what I was playing. The stage was not excessively loud but it was in the days before the "quiet stage" phenomenon swept the churches.

As a point of reference, I had it just loud enough for me to hear. Well below the level I would normally play it at. After the second week playing with that speaker, lead singer girl confronted me and said "Turn that thing down because it's blowing me away up here. She was 15 feet away at the front of the stage and the speaker was pointing away from her. This was BEFORE the service.... So during the praise & worship part of the service, I did the unthinkable..... I walked up behind her to hear what she was hearing..... and I could NOT hear my bass at all........ not from the monitor speaker I was using, and not from the FOH. She glared at me, I smiled back, and after the service, confronted me about that too....

So... I let it go like water off a duck's back.... and go to the church on Wed nite for the normal P&W band rehearsal. I get there and there's the bass, plugged into the DI, but no hot spot and no floor speaker. I ask.... no one seems to know. Apparently, it just up and vanished on it's own. Glances averted, mumbling about you need to talk to so and so who isn't there.... I talked with the guitarist for a while. He says, "man, I got nothing to do with this crap". his exact words. They start to get ready for the first song, so I get up and go to the spare equipment room and look into the loft.... waaa laaa... there's the gear. I pulled the speaker out and put it on the front of the stage by the girl singer's feet.... after she told me she didn't know where the speaker was or why it was missing....the look on her face was beyond words.... then I turned and walked out without saying a word and never went back.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I might have told this one before but I don't recall..... a different church several years later. This was an orchestra and anyone who could halfway play was welcome. everyone volunteered their time and talents. A new Music Minister (MM) took over and actively attempted to build the orchestra. A drummer joined and a bass player came in and we had a pretty good rhythm section for the orchestra. We laid a solid, tight, groove. And we played some pretty complicated stuff. Lots of songs in Eb and Bb and even Ab now and then. It was a great learning experience and I became quite proficient at playing the chords required in those songs. Heck It was fun.

The MM would come up with various musical projects to present to the church from time to time. Some were good, some were not. At least from a guitar player's POV. In other words, some didn't need a guitar in them at all and this project was one of those.

We were only about a month and a half away from the time this was to be presented and had not yet hit any of the music in our Wed nite rehearsals. So with about 5 to 10 minutes left in the rehearsal, MM says pull out song #3, hits the CD player and plays the first 20 seconds of the song.... then says go to measure 35 and counts it off. Train wreck... says go to measure 65 and counts it off...another train wreck.... says OK... and repeats this with a different song and gets the same results. I didn't play a note... I simply listened since I'm an ear player trying to get a feel for the melody line. Next week, he does the very same thing. And the results were exactly the same.... at this point in time the event was a mere 2 or 3 weeks away. I'm thinking, he really needs to practice on THIS if it's going to sound halfway decent.

So the following week, same thing.... last 10 minutes of rehearsal, he says pull out the special music. Hits the CD player.... so I very quietly put my guitar in it's case, shut off the amp, and leave the stage and head up the center aisle to the exit doors. The music stops, and I hear the MM say, over his mic... "Herb, you think you're too good to play this music don't you?" There was about 15 people on stage and about 25 church members in the auditorium getting ready for the next class in there, and he says that.

I turned around and said... "Call me tomorrow and we'll talk".... at which point he actually repeated it again. I kid you not. I simply said "Call me tomorrow" and walked out the door.

Next day, no call but an email telling me NOT to come to play on Sunday until "we can talk". A meeting was set up and I was surprised to find out that it was in the senior pastor's office. He had been the MM when I first started playing as the only guitarist. Long story short.... the MM slides a piece of paper across the table and says these are the conditions you must agree to in order to remain with the music program. He had them numbered. There were about a dozen conditions. I read them , placed the paper back on the table and asked him one question. I asked, Have you given these requirements and conditions to everyone else in the music program as well? Deer in the headlights look from both of them. MM finally says, uhhh, no I haven't. I replied as I slid the paper back across the table to him, "If you haven't given these to the other members with the understanding that they are also to follow these condition, why do you expect me to follow these conditions? That is blatantly unfair, is it not?" The senior pastor said, he has a point.

I pointed out that all the musicians and singers were 100% volunteers. We would play and sing when we could. I would be willing to play as I had been doing. Was there any problems with my performance levels? no... then what seemed to be the problem with me continuing to do as I had been doing? no answer.

Needless to say, the meeting didn't end well since the MM refused to back off of the conditions. Funny things was I was at all the rehearsals ...98% of the time. The same thing could not be said of the drummer or the bass player.... so they had no clue about what happened until others told them why I wasn't there on Sunday.

And so ended my time with that church orchestra.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200