RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Real Band 2017-3 immediately crashes when audio record is started
My audio interface is a Lexicon Omega.
I’ve tried using different audio drivers, but the problem doesn’t change.
ASIO drivers are Omega ASIO and ASIO4ALL v2.
I am able to record using Real Band 2016-10 (off external hard drive) with no problem, any driver.
I am also able to record in BIAB 2017-456, Reaper and Power Tracks Pro 2012-2 without problem.

So, why should Real Band 2017-3 crash when trying to record audio?
I’ve tried everything I could think of so far to no avail.
Any ideas out there on how to fix, or is this some problem with the program?
I already tried return to factory settings, even did a program reinstall and redid the patch 3 download, no change.

Any help before going to PG music support would be appreciated.

Other info. - Windows 10, multi-core processor, solid state drive.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by DonMusic; 01/07/17 10:39 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like it should be an interface problem, like bit depth and sample rate not the same in the software as on the hardware. Like I use 24 bit, 48000 sample rate, only because that is what I use in Pro Tools and I got tired of having to remember to change my interface depending on which program I want to use. And when I go back and forth from one to the other, it REALLY gets tedious.

That's all I got though....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, make sure the drivers are using the same bit rate as RB.

Do you have any error messages or logs?
RBErrorLog may hold a clue.

Did the temp audio directory change?
Could be a permissions thing where RB can't access where it is being told to write the temp files.

Try right-clicking and 'Run As Administrator' which gives elevated permissions as a test to see if it records.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Thanks Eddie & rharv,

No error message other than "Real Band has stopped working". I'll explore your other suggestions and report back. FYI: Rechecked with Real Band 2016 and there's no problem, never was before I got 2017. I made no changes other then downloading 2017 and then receiving the hard drive. Both crash on audio record attempt.

I also received word back from the Lexicon support folks about the Omega audio interface. They told me that it should work AOK with my setup.

Back soon . . .

PS:
Eddie - I never miss your comment about a prayer for the vets, it gets through, I pray. I'm a navy vet, in good health, but see some nasty stuff at the VA. Pray especially for those who have no one else to pray for them, there are many.

Don

Last edited by DonMusic; 01/05/17 02:43 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
My point was, RB creates some default stuff. This may not match your 2016 settings.

An example; maybe the old program was installed under an account with administrative rights and the new install user has more limited access to some things .. maybe even as simple as access to a folder on your drive.

For example, if your temp audio directory is located in User/johnDoe/temp/ and you are now running RB as user/jeffPro it may cause a problem.
JeffPro may not have access to johnDoe's folders.

This would be rare, but your issue seems pretty rare also. Lots of users have upgraded without issue, so I was reaching for straws.

May be best to just let support take a look.

RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Hi rharv,

Checked 2016 vs 2017 - prefs look identical, including temp audio directory.

I went into the RBErrorLog (never did that before) and didn't find anything related to my problem. When I scrolled the data, I noticed the following. It says that my system is Windows 8. It's not, it's Windows 10. Is this important, or just text that wasn't updated by PG Music? This information reappears several times on the scrolled list, exactly the same each time.

System : Windows 8 Home Edition, Version: 6.2, Build: 23F0, ""
Processor: Intel, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 64 bits DEP
Memory: 16322; free 14043
Display : 1600x900 pixels, 32 bpp

Probably not important, but it's the only thing that looked odd in the data.

I'll do some more comparison checking between 2016 and 2017 and hopefully come up with a clue. I wonder if there are any other Lexicon Omega users out there. I think it's something to do with the Real Band 2017 version and its use with various audio interfaces at this point. Why else was someone at PG music seeking to know who was using what interface (as I recall).

Also tried signing on as Administrator - same joy.

Anyway . . . open minded and ready to try anything that might solve this.

Don

Last edited by DonMusic; 01/05/17 03:19 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
It says that my system is Windows 8. It's not, it's Windows 10. Is this important, or just text that wasn't updated by PG Music? This information reappears several times on the scrolled list, exactly the same each time.

Interesting. Was that system updated to W10 (from W8) after the 2016 install and prior to 2017?
I honestly don't know if it is a just a missed update on the system OS error message, or if it is the clue they may need.
I'd show support at this point, including above info/error.

Last edited by rharv; 01/05/17 04:12 PM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Don, just a thought here. Is it any kind of possible for you to maybe invest in a little bit better interface? Many of the users here LOVE the Focusrite line (I have a 2i4). I have one of those very Lexicon Omegas, in the back of a closet somewhere in my studio.

So, in order, go into Audio Prefs and make note of your software data rates. Then open the interface hardware prefs, wherever they may be, and make sure they match. Having them set in the new program as they were in the old is fine but who can say if the interface decided to set itself to something strange.

As far as my sig, we have a good handful of veterans here, and I will always hold my brother and sister vets in high regard. Chulaivet1966 is an interesting guy. PM him and get to know him some if you have never done so. I am an Army guy from the Vietnam era as well. In fact he and I, though a few years apart, would have been less than 10 miles from each other over there.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Eddie, rharv,

My studio computer is a brand new Dell XPS 8900, came with Windows 10 installed. Only modification: I had a solid state hard drive installed for the programs and kept the original drive in to use for file storage. I set it up in late 2016 and used it with 2016 PG Music software prior to the 2017 updates. I have been using 2017 Real Band daily, but didn't notice the audio record problem until a few days ago when I tried it for the first time.

A check on my system shows the following info:
System
Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU@ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM):16.0 GB
System Type:64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Windows edition
Windows 10 Home

It's possible that something in my system got corrupted along the way, but it seems strange that running Real Band 2016 off an external hard drive is AOK and test recordings into other programs works as well.

I'd be up for a Real Band uninstall and reinstall, but I'm not sure if it's wise to go down that road without clear instructions. I did a 2017 re-download, but that may not delete something corrupted; I don't know, what's your advice about that?

It's still looking like something amiss in Real Band 2017 since my downloaded version and my purchased hard drive are the only things crashing on audio record attempt. The hard drive version has only been used to test out this problem, so I don't see how it could have been corrupted.

I've looked into audio data rates (audio prefs) and it looks like they match. I tried various other rates with no fix.

I'm looking into a new interface, per your suggestion - I need to get some vocal recording sessions going ASAP. I like the Lexicon Omega partly because it fits into, you know, one of those sweet spots in my hardware stuff. And oh - because it works(?) so well for me. I'll replace it in a heartbeat if necessary. Shh, it's listening.

Don

Last edited by DonMusic; 01/06/17 07:34 AM.
RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Tried another test:
1. Downloaded BIAB/RB 2017 onto an empty, reformatted hard drive.
2. Real Band test - crashes when trying to record audio (Lexicon Omega interface).
3. Retried Real Band 2016 on an external hard drive - same test, no problem.

Going for a walk in the forest in gently falling snow, just enough to see recorded animal tracks (metaphor intended). And you know, I never metaphor I didn't like.

Back later . . .

Don

RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Just got another reply from someone at the Lexicon support team. They sound pretty confident that it's not an Omega interface problem. It was suggested that I wait for an answer from the DAW(Real Band) support folks. I notified them a couple of days ago, but haven't heard back yet.

Don

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try Chat during the day, sometimes better/faster than email.
(It's the Live Help link in top right corner of the forum)

Can you post screen shots of your drivers/settings?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

Did you install RealBand 2017 release 3 initially or did you install RealBand 2017 release 1 then apply to release 3 upgrade?

Try going to your online account and downloading the initial program (which will likely be release 1) and the release 3 update. Just those two files; no need to download everything.

Then apply release 1, reboot your computer, open and close RealBand, apply release 3, reboot your computer and see if it will open with release 3 then. Maybe one of the programs didn't install correctly the first time.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DonMusic
I never metaphor I didn't like.

And I never metaten I didn't like!

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Hooray, shazam, I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!

Not braggin', just happy!!

It's a Metronome problem in Real Band 2017. And don't ask how I figured this out. I thought I tried everything until I did the following on a long shot:

Options\Preferences\Metronome\Metronome Settings\

See the Recording box in the upper left hand corner? I unchecked that and now audio recording works AOK!

Out of curiosity I left the Record box unchecked and checked the Play box; you guessed it, when play is started, the program crashes.

I then looked back in my Real Band 2016 hard drive. The Recording and Play boxes, whether they're checked, or unchecked does not cause a crash. That's no surprise.

Obviously I'm leaving everything in the 2017 Metronome window unchecked until there's a fix for this.

Someone please confirm whether or not this problem happens to them when either the Metronome Record or Play box is checked.

Thanks,

Don

Eddie: How 'bout a Metamucil?

Last edited by DonMusic; 01/07/17 10:34 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Who wouda thunk?! The metronome? ReallY?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Who wouda thunk?! The metronome? ReallY?

Seriously? That minor detail of playing in time?

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Yes, it's true Eddie, I finally metronome I didn't like.
How about a little tune collaboration?

Metronome

Verse 1
Hey, baby, what's that tickin';
Is that your heart or are you pickin'? (note: guitar assumed here)
I'll send you to old soldiers' home
If you can't fix your metronome. (Real Band assumed here)

First draft and not seriously.

Thank you, thank you very much . . .

Don

Last edited by DonMusic; 01/09/17 01:40 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, it's true Eddie, I finally metronome I didn't like.
How about a little tune collaboration?

Metronome

Verse 1
Hey, baby, what's that tickin';
Is that your heart or are you pickin'? (note: guitar assumed here)
I'll send you to old soldiers' home
If you can't fix your metronome. (Real Band assumed here)

First draft and not seriously.

Thank you, thank you very much . . .

Don

You got that down without me!!

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Someone please confirm whether or not this problem happens to them when either the Metronome Record or Play box is checked.

Using MME and the front panel mic on a laptop it works fine with or without either or both of those boxes checked.

I think I recall that you are using an ASIO interface? So, there is a combination of things going on. Later today I'll try to test my USB interface. I haven't tried with with 2017 RB yet. I use the ASIO4ALL driver.

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,141
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182