Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Most of my original songs have been the "because this happened" types of songs. i.e. event or situation oriented. Thus I think I'm not overstating when I claim that if (for some of those cases) I hadn't been able to write them "out of my system" so to speak, I would have become a mental basket case long time ago. There's even one particular song that I wrote at a time when I was in so much pain that the alternative would probably been a razor blade to a vein! smirk
I've (fortunately) only played it once since....and rather hope I never feel the need or reason to play it again.

Right, and now that I've dragged this whole wonderful topic firmly down into the gloom, I think I should stop talking.

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great question Joanne. It's obvious from the responses so far that music is a major component in the life of many of us.

I can't imagine a time when music has not been in my life. Growing up music was not an art form but a way of life. While many families and friends gather for fellowship and bonding; my family and friends gathered to play or listen to music. But I could never find the intense focus, passion and drive that I saw in others.

It took a long time but I've finally figured out my musical focus isn't on performance but is on audio production. That's strange because I've never cared for live sound but find great joy in discovering how to create a sound I hear in my mind or how a tool like a compressor can manipulate recorded sound.

Like Eddie mentioned earlier, once I've accomplished a task I lose interest in it and am on to the next one.

Music has been my friend, my enemy but most of all a constant. It's always there and will always be an integral part of me.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
[/quote]Of course! Why do you think I'm talking about it here?
I'm awesome and I want everybody to know it!! I cudda been a star man, shudda been a star...I was THIS CLOSE... Bob

Wowsers....I wreak with envy. smile

Knowing your (cudda been) success blissfully reminds me of a Bad Company song and dedicate the following lyric to you, sir:
"Don't_you_know_that you are a shooting star....don't you know...don't you know."

Back to topic.....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/03/17 05:48 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
This is a question worth asking. Without a purpose we're just running on a gerbil wheel.<...>

Indeed. It's part of the reason why I won't retire. The other part is that playing music to an audience is my second favorite thing to do (can't tell you what's first on a family forum wink )

Living in Florida and playing for the retirement audience for 30 years now, I've seen too many people die of "retirement disease". Golf and fishing are OK for a year or so, but for all by the most avid enthusiasts, it gets old quickly and they end up sitting in front of the TV until they are literally bored to death.

Fortunately, I have something I am passionate about that I can do during 'retirement' and still have a purpose in life.

However, now that I'm old enough to be retired, I don't take non-pleasant gigs anymore. If someone asks, I quote a high price, if they bite, it's worth the money, but most times they don't. I think it's kinder than telling them that I don't enjoy playing for them.

We had a great gig yesterday. We've been playing there 9 years now and the audience is like our extended family. We mourn with them when they have problems, and rejoice with them when they have successes. We have running gags, and when they sing along, they are our choir.

Life is good.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pretty much everything Notes said other than I didn't marry a singer.

I did better than that, she is a great singer and plays guitar and synth too!!!

<...>Literally it was the drunker they got the bigger the star I became.<...>

Bob

I often tell bartenders that we are partners. The more they drink, the better we sound.

I'm a ham when I get on stage as well. Entirely different from my normal personality. At least I think so.

But I love my job, play 5 minutes, get applause, play 5 minutes more, get applause, until the end of the gig when people thank you for giving them a nice time. I love it so much, we usually play straight through - no breaks. I'd rater be on stage playing for the people than sitting and talking with them. That can wait until after the gig.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks everyone for your very thought provoking replies. It has been most interesting and informative.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 01/05/17 07:01 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What a great question!

I happened to be driving a lot over the last few days and was really thinking about this very subject. I know the answer for me is I write for reaction/to move people somehow. It could be about love found or lost, a party, life...but I want people to feel something. I love to be a part of that. To share in that moment.

Strangely, it's not a people pleasing kind of thing though. Thanks God!

This question ties in very well with where my head has been at, so I'm really glad I am able to answer this with clarity.

My answer is NOT what I would have guessed; but it is my motivator.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I'm a ham when I get on stage as well.

I always thought of myself more along the lines of bacon.....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I make music to say things in a way I am comfortable with. I did the music career thing & made my living from it for 40 years, now it is all about what I want to say in any manner I choose. wink

I know that sounds self-centered, but it is not really meant to be.... cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Joanne. What an interesting question and fascinating answers.
I just want to communicate with others. And to be involved. Cheers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

So the majority of people here do it for the love of producing their art and that makes sense.

For me personally, my reasons have morphed a little over the last 3 years (since I discovered Biab).

At the beginning of this period I was making music for the love of It. Then something changed. I began to see how easy it was to record in my home studio and how (relatively) easy it was to write a song (note; I am not saying "a great song").

I started to have visions of this being able to support myself financially (that dream that most musicians have smile ) and somewhere along the line it was not as much fun as I had hoped.

So this year, I am adjusting my goals to go back to producing for the sake of art and, who knows, maybe I will get lucky. My friend, Cuzzie always says "be miracle ready".

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Songwriting for me is an exercise in frustration. Mostly the words, whatever I write sounds hackneyed, trite or corny to myself.

I never had any aspirations to make a living writing songs.

I am a good interpreter of music, a good arranger, and a good improvisor. Which means I can write styles for BiaB (arranging), and I can be a good live performer or recording artist.

I'm fortunate to have grown up in an era when live musicians were in demand, and for the majority of my life I have made a living doing music and nothing but music.

Now I know that when some people do this for a living, they lose their joy of music. Fortunately, I'm the opposite. Get me in front of an audience with the sax, flute, wind synth, guitar, bass or drums in my hands or the microphone in my face, and I'm having the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

I chose music for an occupation because I was following my bliss, and it's still my bliss.

I consider myself a very lucky person.

Insights and incites by Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As I read these very good replies, I thought maybe the challenge would be to turn the question around and ask "What are my reasons to NOT make music". (Yes, another of Eddie's long winded posts.)

Simply stated, I lost my love for it, and like when I lose my love for a woman, she is sent packing. Is there really much difference between the love of music and the love of a person? Not really. You sacrifice, you compromise, you live with both every day they are in your life.

I got tired of playing in front of a crowd of people who wouldn't know good from bad if they sat in it. As long as they can get drunk, they are happy. I consider those to be the "lowest common denominator" audiences. I want to play in front of a group of musicians and have those musicians walk out of that room saying "Wow. Those guys can play and sing!!" Thus I want to do much more complex music than the lowest common denominator bands play. And there's the challenge. Try to find musicians who want to put that kind of time into a band that is built to blow people away with their skills. My perspective of playing music is NOT to play what the drunk at the back table wants to hear because it was playing on the radio the first time he had sex. His memories are not my memories and they do not matter to me. At all. I want my audience to sit spellbound and gasp for air at the brilliance they hear coming at them, much the way I did when I heard Frank Zappa in concert, or the amazing Cleveland Orchestra playing a Mozart program.

That is no longer attainable in the microwaved, high-speed, instant gratification world in which we now live. If I was to start rehearsals with guys I recruited today, the target date would be like July 1. THAT is how hard they better be prepared to work. 4 rehearsals of 4 hours per week between now and then. And we are going to do it again until I, as bandleader and musical director, says it is right.

Starting to see why I don't have a band? grin

I am seriously AWFUL to work for. (And sometimes, WITH.) Note the verb. Work. Music is hard work. It is NOT a fun hobby IF you are doing it with higher goals in mind. If you set your goals low, like many bands in my area do, and play the generic list of 45 that every band plays, enjoy your shows, but you will never see me there. I think years back I started a thread about "the list". Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, ANYTHING by Lynard Skynard.... pretty much any of the unimaginative 3 chord junk that you can play when you are 10 and just started lessons.

My final instructions for any memorial that will be held after I pass include the stipulation that the last thing to happen will be the playing of MacArthur Park. That has been my idea of a masterpiece since 1968, and in my opinion, the way music is supposed to be written. I listen to it and play along with it every day. My "Make-A-Wish" dream (if I were dying) would be to meet my songwriting idol Jimmy Webb AT MacArthur Park in Los Angeles and spend an hour over lunch talking about songwriting.

So in closing, I have accepted that now at 65, I can't reach that level. And there is no participation trophy in music, just the Grammy. Thus I have pretty much put it away. Time for a new hobby. This year I will get out and shoot more and enter some competitions.

And that is why I DON'T play music.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/07/17 08:28 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

And that is why I DON'T play music.

Well that's certainly a pessimistic way to see things.

You have to pay your dues to get to the top of the mountain. The Beatles played the Cavern club in Germany with a bunch of drunks. Alabama played a salty little dive in Myrtle Beach called The Bowery to a bunch of drunk tourists. And I'm sure every band and artist that made it to the big time has a similar back story.

You gotta pay your dues.

I have played in bands where the leader was of similar attitude as you describe yourself. It wasn't fun, it was drudgery, and soul sucking. It took the joy out of playing music. And everything else aside, playing music should be enjoyable. Folks who are overbearing in their quest for perfection tend to drive away the good talent unless they are paying exceptionally well. It's totally possible to make it to the professional level and be a nice guy. I hear lots of stories about some artists who are just so easy to work with and reflect that attitude to their band mates. Being in such a band is a privilege and people are lined up to get that gig. One of the better bands I played in had a very relaxed attitude toward learning new tunes and getting things right. Everyone was capable of playing and singing well and there was no pressure to "get it right, NOW!!".

Maybe I'm reading your comments inaccurately. But the way you describe yourself seems that you maybe push your mates a bit too hard. 16 hrs a week for 26 weeks to get a show together? What kind of music are you playing? I can see that if you are playing major concerts and the money will be excellent and you're doing the Dregs or Zappa, or Satriani...... but you don;t generally have that sort of audience who appreciates that style of music in the club down town. The band I was mentioning above.... we started in Sept.... once a week for a few hours a night in a garage... a total of 12 sessions to prepare a new band from scratch to do a house gig at one of the most popular clubs in town. We learned the obligatory 40 to 45 songs needed for the first weekend. We stayed there at the house gig with packed houses for two and a half years. We had tight starts and endings and the stuff in between was good as well.

If you are not in love with music anymore.... then yes... take time off. If you really love it, it will call you back.

BTW: good luck with the shooting competitions. There are some pretty amazing folks in that field as well. Highly competitive and extremely talented. Perhaps your drive will find fertile ground there as that tends to be a solo sport. And it takes lots of practice and drive to get good making small groups and hitting popup targets.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the perspective Eddie. I am probably one of the instant gratification types that you cant stand. If I cant do it fast then I am not interested. I once joined up with a guy to play a duo. We practiced for a whole year and never even had an inkling of a gig. He used to stop me in the same place in one song and say "it doesn't go la la la laaaa, it goes la la laaaaaaaa". Every time a coconut. I mean who actually cares, right? I certainly don't. I prefer to just move on.

Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody. Whatever your age. There will always be those that are better than you and some people will always think you are rubbish and some people will think you are good. Music is such a personal thing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Dregs or Zappa, or Satriani

Add Steve Vai to that and you are spot on.

I guess is has just been a vision quest that I do something unique and not blend into the gray. The only place I go to see live music is 3.5 miles from my home. That is about the limit I will go to see music because those "blend into the gray" type bands are everywhere else. That particular room has music 4 nights a week and it is a mix of jazz to folk to country to blues to roots to Americana to Cajun.... and the woman who owns it stresses that she expects a lot of original music. (She is possibly THE biggest proponent of the art community I have ever known. Music, painting, sculpting, film making... anything artistic and creative.) No Gimme Three Steps allowed.

I understand that my perspective sounds pessimistic to many. That is born from a desire to not become complacent and say "That's good enough". It isn't good enough. It is NEVER good enough. And when you get to a place where the best you can do is still not good enough, it's time to move on to another thing and seek perfection. (When I shoot, I don't just aim for the middle of the target. I aim for the hole I have already put in the middle of the target.)

I should also add that this kind of overachieving attitude WILL drive people crazy, and history speaks to many who have been driven crazy. In music, Brian Wilson comes closest to what I am trying to say. I am convinced that when Brian Wilson dies, he will ask god for ONE more take. It is often painful to be this way, but it is who I am and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to try and change your DNA. I have lived a life believing that if you come in second, you are the best loser.

And yes, I see a shrink twice a month. Maybe I should go to her more.... smile

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/07/17 10:29 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
If you are not in love with music anymore.... then yes... take time off. If you really love it, it will call you back.

Now THAT concept I am familiar with. Between Wife 2.0 and Wife 3.0 I took 20 years off. And now sitting at 12 since Wife 3.0 was jettisoned. grin

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
If I cant do it fast then I am not interested...I mean who actually cares, right? I certainly don't. I prefer to just move on.

Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody. Whatever your age. There will always be those that are better than you and some people will always think you are rubbish and some people will think you are good.

+100 laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody. Whatever your age. There will always be those that are better than you and some people will always think you are rubbish and some people will think you are good.

+100 laugh
I ditto that cool

Plus of course that 'small' prerequisite of actually being brilliant yourself at all in the first place wink

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195