Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#388657 - 01/06/17 04:50 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I love it.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#388826 - 01/06/17 10:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa

So the majority of people here do it for the love of producing their art and that makes sense.

For me personally, my reasons have morphed a little over the last 3 years (since I discovered Biab).

At the beginning of this period I was making music for the love of It. Then something changed. I began to see how easy it was to record in my home studio and how (relatively) easy it was to write a song (note; I am not saying "a great song").

I started to have visions of this being able to support myself financially (that dream that most musicians have smile ) and somewhere along the line it was not as much fun as I had hoped.

So this year, I am adjusting my goals to go back to producing for the sake of art and, who knows, maybe I will get lucky. My friend, Cuzzie always says "be miracle ready".

#388852 - 01/07/17 05:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Songwriting for me is an exercise in frustration. Mostly the words, whatever I write sounds hackneyed, trite or corny to myself.

I never had any aspirations to make a living writing songs.

I am a good interpreter of music, a good arranger, and a good improvisor. Which means I can write styles for BiaB (arranging), and I can be a good live performer or recording artist.

I'm fortunate to have grown up in an era when live musicians were in demand, and for the majority of my life I have made a living doing music and nothing but music.

Now I know that when some people do this for a living, they lose their joy of music. Fortunately, I'm the opposite. Get me in front of an audience with the sax, flute, wind synth, guitar, bass or drums in my hands or the microphone in my face, and I'm having the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

I chose music for an occupation because I was following my bliss, and it's still my bliss.

I consider myself a very lucky person.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#388893 - 01/07/17 10:23 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
As I read these very good replies, I thought maybe the challenge would be to turn the question around and ask "What are my reasons to NOT make music". (Yes, another of Eddie's long winded posts.)

Simply stated, I lost my love for it, and like when I lose my love for a woman, she is sent packing. Is there really much difference between the love of music and the love of a person? Not really. You sacrifice, you compromise, you live with both every day they are in your life.

I got tired of playing in front of a crowd of people who wouldn't know good from bad if they sat in it. As long as they can get drunk, they are happy. I consider those to be the "lowest common denominator" audiences. I want to play in front of a group of musicians and have those musicians walk out of that room saying "Wow. Those guys can play and sing!!" Thus I want to do much more complex music than the lowest common denominator bands play. And there's the challenge. Try to find musicians who want to put that kind of time into a band that is built to blow people away with their skills. My perspective of playing music is NOT to play what the drunk at the back table wants to hear because it was playing on the radio the first time he had sex. His memories are not my memories and they do not matter to me. At all. I want my audience to sit spellbound and gasp for air at the brilliance they hear coming at them, much the way I did when I heard Frank Zappa in concert, or the amazing Cleveland Orchestra playing a Mozart program.

That is no longer attainable in the microwaved, high-speed, instant gratification world in which we now live. If I was to start rehearsals with guys I recruited today, the target date would be like July 1. THAT is how hard they better be prepared to work. 4 rehearsals of 4 hours per week between now and then. And we are going to do it again until I, as bandleader and musical director, says it is right.

Starting to see why I don't have a band? grin

I am seriously AWFUL to work for. (And sometimes, WITH.) Note the verb. Work. Music is hard work. It is NOT a fun hobby IF you are doing it with higher goals in mind. If you set your goals low, like many bands in my area do, and play the generic list of 45 that every band plays, enjoy your shows, but you will never see me there. I think years back I started a thread about "the list". Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, ANYTHING by Lynard Skynard.... pretty much any of the unimaginative 3 chord junk that you can play when you are 10 and just started lessons.

My final instructions for any memorial that will be held after I pass include the stipulation that the last thing to happen will be the playing of MacArthur Park. That has been my idea of a masterpiece since 1968, and in my opinion, the way music is supposed to be written. I listen to it and play along with it every day. My "Make-A-Wish" dream (if I were dying) would be to meet my songwriting idol Jimmy Webb AT MacArthur Park in Los Angeles and spend an hour over lunch talking about songwriting.

So in closing, I have accepted that now at 65, I can't reach that level. And there is no participation trophy in music, just the Grammy. Thus I have pretty much put it away. Time for a new hobby. This year I will get out and shoot more and enter some competitions.

And that is why I DON'T play music.

Edited by eddie1261 (01/07/17 10:28 AM)

#388907 - 01/07/17 11:10 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: eddie1261]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Well that's certainly a pessimistic way to see things.

You have to pay your dues to get to the top of the mountain. The Beatles played the Cavern club in Germany with a bunch of drunks. Alabama played a salty little dive in Myrtle Beach called The Bowery to a bunch of drunk tourists. And I'm sure every band and artist that made it to the big time has a similar back story.

You gotta pay your dues.

I have played in bands where the leader was of similar attitude as you describe yourself. It wasn't fun, it was drudgery, and soul sucking. It took the joy out of playing music. And everything else aside, playing music should be enjoyable. Folks who are overbearing in their quest for perfection tend to drive away the good talent unless they are paying exceptionally well. It's totally possible to make it to the professional level and be a nice guy. I hear lots of stories about some artists who are just so easy to work with and reflect that attitude to their band mates. Being in such a band is a privilege and people are lined up to get that gig. One of the better bands I played in had a very relaxed attitude toward learning new tunes and getting things right. Everyone was capable of playing and singing well and there was no pressure to "get it right, NOW!!".

Maybe I'm reading your comments inaccurately. But the way you describe yourself seems that you maybe push your mates a bit too hard. 16 hrs a week for 26 weeks to get a show together? What kind of music are you playing? I can see that if you are playing major concerts and the money will be excellent and you're doing the Dregs or Zappa, or Satriani...... but you don;t generally have that sort of audience who appreciates that style of music in the club down town. The band I was mentioning above.... we started in Sept.... once a week for a few hours a night in a garage... a total of 12 sessions to prepare a new band from scratch to do a house gig at one of the most popular clubs in town. We learned the obligatory 40 to 45 songs needed for the first weekend. We stayed there at the house gig with packed houses for two and a half years. We had tight starts and endings and the stuff in between was good as well.

If you are not in love with music anymore.... then yes... take time off. If you really love it, it will call you back.

BTW: good luck with the shooting competitions. There are some pretty amazing folks in that field as well. Highly competitive and extremely talented. Perhaps your drive will find fertile ground there as that tends to be a solo sport. And it takes lots of practice and drive to get good making small groups and hitting popup targets.

#388909 - 01/07/17 11:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the perspective Eddie. I am probably one of the instant gratification types that you cant stand. If I cant do it fast then I am not interested. I once joined up with a guy to play a duo. We practiced for a whole year and never even had an inkling of a gig. He used to stop me in the same place in one song and say "it doesn't go la la la laaaa, it goes la la laaaaaaaa". Every time a coconut. I mean who actually cares, right? I certainly don't. I prefer to just move on.

Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody. Whatever your age. There will always be those that are better than you and some people will always think you are rubbish and some people will think you are good. Music is such a personal thing.

#388941 - 01/07/17 12:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: Guitarhacker]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Dregs or Zappa, or Satriani

Add Steve Vai to that and you are spot on.

I guess is has just been a vision quest that I do something unique and not blend into the gray. The only place I go to see live music is 3.5 miles from my home. That is about the limit I will go to see music because those "blend into the gray" type bands are everywhere else. That particular room has music 4 nights a week and it is a mix of jazz to folk to country to blues to roots to Americana to Cajun.... and the woman who owns it stresses that she expects a lot of original music. (She is possibly THE biggest proponent of the art community I have ever known. Music, painting, sculpting, film making... anything artistic and creative.) No Gimme Three Steps allowed.

I understand that my perspective sounds pessimistic to many. That is born from a desire to not become complacent and say "That's good enough". It isn't good enough. It is NEVER good enough. And when you get to a place where the best you can do is still not good enough, it's time to move on to another thing and seek perfection. (When I shoot, I don't just aim for the middle of the target. I aim for the hole I have already put in the middle of the target.)

I should also add that this kind of overachieving attitude WILL drive people crazy, and history speaks to many who have been driven crazy. In music, Brian Wilson comes closest to what I am trying to say. I am convinced that when Brian Wilson dies, he will ask god for ONE more take. It is often painful to be this way, but it is who I am and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to try and change your DNA. I have lived a life believing that if you come in second, you are the best loser.

And yes, I see a shrink twice a month. Maybe I should go to her more.... smile

Edited by eddie1261 (01/07/17 12:29 PM)

#388947 - 01/07/17 12:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: Guitarhacker]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
If you are not in love with music anymore.... then yes... take time off. If you really love it, it will call you back.

Now THAT concept I am familiar with. Between Wife 2.0 and Wife 3.0 I took 20 years off. And now sitting at 12 since Wife 3.0 was jettisoned. grin

#388996 - 01/07/17 04:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
If I cant do it fast then I am not interested...I mean who actually cares, right? I certainly don't. I prefer to just move on.

Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody. Whatever your age. There will always be those that are better than you and some people will always think you are rubbish and some people will think you are good.

+100 laugh

#388998 - 01/07/17 04:49 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Icelander Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody. Whatever your age. There will always be those that are better than you and some people will always think you are rubbish and some people will think you are good.

+100 laugh
I ditto that cool

Plus of course that 'small' prerequisite of actually being brilliant yourself at all in the first place wink

#389004 - 01/07/17 05:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

"Aspiring to get people to gasp with admiration at your brilliance is an unattainable (an probably unsatisfying) goal for anybody."

Unsatisfying? If that's what I set out to do and I do it, that is the definition of satisfying. I believe it is also attainable, BUT, not for guys who work in the shop or the office all day and play music as a hobby. There are some GREAT hobby level players, and I know many of them here in town, but nobody would be interested in what I want to do because if we did it the way I wanted to do it, there would be 8 week road trips living in a bus or vans at some point.

We are lapsing into the old discussion we have had here many times about cover vs original. I simply don't want to play copy music. I have been looking for a couple of years for guys who know music, who can read music, guys who can write music, and guys who can play music. If I were to say "No that's a major 7th there, not a dominant 7th", or "sing the third above the melody" and they don't know what I mean, they don't make the cut. And that is not a matter of snobbery (and I have been called that often) as much as it's a matter of my being able to communicate. I can't explain to a blind person what "red" is without saying "red like an apple", and they of course have never seen an apple. Or trying to teach French to someone and I don't speak French. I speak English and "music". I am far from a theory maven, but I know enough to look at a piece of music and understand what I am looking at.

I once went to our big outdoor venue here (Blossom Music Center) to see the Cleveland Orchestra do Mozart's "A Little Night Music". I went in with a blanket and a suitcase. I spread the blanket out on the lawn and opened the suitcase, which contained the score. All 4 movements, 16 staffs, 2 measures per page. I sat and followed along with the orchestra for the whole symphony. Most of the people around me were laughing at me because I wasn't "watching" the orchestra. Well, do you see a concert, or hear it? As I followed along on that sheet music, I got to both hear the music and see it, so who's the weirdo here?

I told you that to tell you this. I want to assemble and play with people who know MUSIC (not songs) at that level. It is very difficult to build a house with carpenters who are not at close to the same skill level. Or to play on a football team where 3 of the 11 players on either offense or defense play at a skill level below the other 8. There is nothing at all wrong with learning by ear. How do I teach you an original song when there is nothing to listen to, only charts?

A few years ago I went to a basement "musical meet and greet", and everybody there, 6 players, could sight read. And we didn't just play where whoever felt like driving took off on a solo. Everything was charted. Now, the guy running the thing was a music professor, and those 10 or so songs we played were his songs. I got lost many times because those changes meandered like an old dirt road! When you are following along and suddenly your arrive at Am9b5... I am not THAT good of a player where I can play without thinking out a chord. That may have been the only one of those impromptu jam things I really enjoyed, even though I was the weakest link. Sure there were physical mistakes made, but we all followed along on charts and read what to play, and playing stuff nobody had ever seen....

Fake/Real book players are a whole different level of skill too. I can't read those things. I would imagine there are a good handful of people here who can read those.

But back on topic, being the band in town that blows the other bands away and steals their fans is what always made it fun for me. The Motown band I was in, despite being a copy band (that was before I cared about writing), was SO busy we were turning work down because at some point we had to rest. When it was outdoor gig weather, we would do 7 shows between Thursday and Sunday night. Doubleheaders every Fri, Sat and Sun. And the throat can only sing so much. That I enjoyed. And that is the band from which I retired from full time playing.

#389024 - 01/07/17 09:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
"I have lived a life believing that if you come in second, you are the best loser."

I think this says it all.......and not in a good way.

Just a IMHO, YMMV, yada yada post, no offense intended...
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#389037 - 01/08/17 01:11 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Edfdie, Do you believe at all in the Pareto principle where you achieve 80% of the result with 20% of the effort (the last bit will take an enormous effort)?

If not, do you believe that the 80% is not worth aiming for?

Edited to add: while there are certainly things in life where 100% is very important, like open heart surgery or rocket science, but I wouldn't put music up there.

Edited by JoanneCooper (01/08/17 01:43 AM)

#389046 - 01/08/17 03:12 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: eddie1261]
WendyM Offline
Apprentice

Loc: UK
U
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
As I read these very good replies, I thought maybe the challenge would be to turn the question around and ask "What are my reasons to NOT make music". (Yes, another of Eddie's long winded posts.)

Simply stated, I lost my love for it, and like when I lose my love for a woman, she is sent packing. Is there really much difference between the love of music and the love of a person? Not really. You sacrifice, you compromise, you live with both every day they are in your life.

I got tired of playing in front of a crowd of people who wouldn't know good from bad if they sat in it. As long as they can get drunk, they are happy. I consider those to be the "lowest common denominator" audiences. I want to play in front of a group of musicians and have those musicians walk out of that room saying "Wow. Those guys can play and sing!!" Thus I want to do much more complex music than the lowest common denominator bands play. And there's the challenge. Try to find musicians who want to put that kind of time into a band that is built to blow people away with their skills. My perspective of playing music is NOT to play what the drunk at the back table wants to hear because it was playing on the radio the first time he had sex. His memories are not my memories and they do not matter to me. At all. I want my audience to sit spellbound and gasp for air at the brilliance they hear coming at them, much the way I did when I heard Frank Zappa in concert, or the amazing Cleveland Orchestra playing a Mozart program.

That is no longer attainable in the microwaved, high-speed, instant gratification world in which we now live. If I was to start rehearsals with guys I recruited today, the target date would be like July 1. THAT is how hard they better be prepared to work. 4 rehearsals of 4 hours per week between now and then. And we are going to do it again until I, as bandleader and musical director, says it is right.

Starting to see why I don't have a band? grin

I am seriously AWFUL to work for. (And sometimes, WITH.) Note the verb. Work. Music is hard work. It is NOT a fun hobby IF you are doing it with higher goals in mind. If you set your goals low, like many bands in my area do, and play the generic list of 45 that every band plays, enjoy your shows, but you will never see me there. I think years back I started a thread about "the list". Brown Eyed Girl, Mustang Sally, ANYTHING by Lynard Skynard.... pretty much any of the unimaginative 3 chord junk that you can play when you are 10 and just started lessons.

My final instructions for any memorial that will be held after I pass include the stipulation that the last thing to happen will be the playing of MacArthur Park. That has been my idea of a masterpiece since 1968, and in my opinion, the way music is supposed to be written. I listen to it and play along with it every day. My "Make-A-Wish" dream (if I were dying) would be to meet my songwriting idol Jimmy Webb AT MacArthur Park in Los Angeles and spend an hour over lunch talking about songwriting.

So in closing, I have accepted that now at 65, I can't reach that level. And there is no participation trophy in music, just the Grammy. Thus I have pretty much put it away. Time for a new hobby. This year I will get out and shoot more and enter some competitions.

And the nomination for "Mr Shallow 2017" award is - -?
Disgraceful attitude to women.
And If all music bar yours was so inferior, i can understand
why you no longer cast it down from your personal Heaven. We are SO unworthy.
Mebee go listen to Cohens I Came So Far For Beauty?
WendyM

#389050 - 01/08/17 05:13 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are your reasons for making music? [Re: JoanneCooper]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Kudos to you Eddie for playing that style of music and standing by your convictions.

I was in a starving band back in the day. We took the time to learn lots of songs that we liked and weren't playing on the FM radio. Album cut songs. One example is a Charlie Daniels song called Saddle Tramp. It's a progressive country jazz style jam song once you get past the first 3:30 minutes. The cool part starts at 4 minutes.
SADDLE TRAMP
We covered Green Grass and High Tides in it's entirety, and quite a few other undanceable songs. With very few exceptions, we'd play a club one time and they'd give us the old... don't call us...we'll call you ... routine. When asked... "No one can dance to your music boys, sorry, we're a dance club." It was heartbreaking to us because it was good music and we had spent hours on end working out the parts.

Eventually, that band ended because we weren't making any money. From that point forward, I was in working bands that didn't mind playing the songs everyone loved to hate. I can say I've never played Mustang Sally.... not even one time. But rest assured, Freebird, Wipeout, and other similar songs were on the menu every night. We had fun, entertained the crowds, made good money, and played full time.

Another guy I knew, "Kelly"... used to come over to my place to jam.... this fellow was a bass player... really, really good. Loved Tower of Power, Herbie Hancock, and others in that style. He ended up in a funk/disco band to pay the rent. But he really wanted to play fusion jazz funk. There was no market for that in a town with a military base with 30k Marines.... you either rocked hard, played country, or played disco/dance... or you didn't work.

Edited by Guitarhacker (01/08/17 05:17 AM)

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27143 Members
49 Forums
50333 Topics
413119 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
AM3, RoRoSong, WHW, smily, jeffkepner1

27142 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 250