Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I've got a KeyStation 88 plugged into my Windows 10 (:() computer.

And...uh...now what?

It's not a synthesizer, so it seems like I should be able to use it for input, but I can't figure out how.

What I'd like to do is press keys and make sounds with it via BiaB, if possible (and record/notate as needed).

The Midi/Audio drivers setup shows the Keystation 88 for input. Whatever I click for output I get "Note: You have DXi enabled so the MIDI output driver won't be used..." Which I think is fine (but really have no idea).

If I run the wizard for the output driver and select "Use my external MIDI Module or Synth hooked up to this MIDI interface" and select the Keystation, BiaB crashes. (I figure there's no MIDI input so I'm not too concerned with this. I'm just noting it in case it matters.)

But now what? I would expect to be able to find something that says "Use MIDI input for this track" or something along those lines, but most of the MIDI stuff seems to be centered around pre-recorded things (or, I guess, more likely waveforms to emulate certain instrument sounds).

I am baffled.

Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
this thread may be helpful
midi thru problem

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Beginners Forum
DonCarlos
DonCarlos
This topic interested me too. You can advise what MIDI keyboard for working with BB appropriate and tested?

Karel

Karel Jacko alias Don Carlos - Czech Republic Dealer PG Music, Inc
- +420 604 111 102, +420 602 561 567 mobil
- Band Leader Groups Jazz za Bukem and Hot Jazz Sutrs;
- BIAB 2020 Win10; BIAB 2019 MAC;
- Roland GK-3 Divided Pickup (Guitar and Bass); Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth;
- MOTU UltraLite mk3 (Firewire); Fishman Tripleplay
- MacBookPro 13 with touchbar 2018,

Wiki BIAB czech support page wiki.zabukem.eu
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You should take the time to read up on MIDI and begin to understand what it is and how it works. Google search is helpful. It's also an excellent idea to take the time to go through PG Music's video tutorials one by one and work through them. They cover all the basics to get you started quickly.

On the SUPPORT tab.... left column.... Tutorials: http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbw_nosound.htm

Essentially, any keyboard with MIDI will work for any midi input capable device. Midi has channels and patches and must be assigned properly in order to work.

Your midi device outputs the midi data. Midi is not music.... it has to be converted into music along the path the data travels. It sends this data on a midi channel, and once the software is listening on that channel, the midi data can be used.
In the computer, your keyboard should show up as an available midi input device.... meaning the computer sees it and can access it's data. In the software, either BB or a DAW, you would select the midi device as input to a track and then set up the parameters of channel, patch, etc.... This is done after a synth of some sort has been linked to that same track. It is the synth that will see and be able to use the data on the channel to then use the patch you assigned to make sounds of one sort or another.

Does that sound totally confusing? Yeah it was to me as well when I first started. It took a few days to get sound. Once you grasp the whole concept of midi and their relationship to synths, it's actually fairly simple.

Many DAW's have an "INSERT SYNTH" function that makes all of the synth setup a one click event. Doing it manually is also a snap in a good DAW.

Midi is fun and works well. Take the time to educate yourself. When you get stumped by something in the video's.... come back and ask in the appropriate forum.

Good luck...and have fun.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

pghboemike -- I'll give the ASIO thing a try, though it doesn't seem quite like my problem.

Maybe I should start by stating more clearly: I'm not sure what's SUPPOSED to happen, so I'm not sure if the problem is in my setup, or just in my head.

GuitarHacker -- I =think= I understand MIDI pretty well. I got my first MIDI keyboard back in '86, and I've written some programs to parse MIDI data. (In fact I was tempted to fire up a demo program for reading MIDI input/playing it just to see if there was a real issue other than user ignorance.)

That said, this is right where my issue is:

>>you would select the midi device as input to a track

How?

I've gone through videos and realized a difference between the current version of BiaB and the previous ones is: no piano at the top. I would have expected (in an edition of the software that still had that) the piano keys to light up when I pressed keys on the keystation (sound notwithstanding), and indeed the videos/tutorials I've seen show that.

I found one on hooking up RealBand and when I went to select the MIDI device I got the "There is not enough memory available for this task", which is the error I get when I try to use MIDI-OX.

That sucks because It's not that there's not enough, I'm positive. It's that there's too much (32GB).

So again, I'm stymied.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
In a DAW, which is where I work mostly, there;s a track inspector or a track control view. It shows you the options for input and output for each track. Any input or output device... ex: an interface or sound card.... would show up there. If there are several, they all show up and you can select the one you want to use.

In BB and RB, I'm not sure how to tell you to find that track inspector since I rarely use these programs in that manner.

However, I have used BB to record a scratch vocal just to do it.... and it was pretty painless IIRC.

www.herbhartley.com

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think you may be having driver issues.
Quote:
The Midi/Audio drivers setup shows the Keystation 88 for input. Whatever I click for output I get "Note: You have DXi enabled so the MIDI output driver won't be used..." Which I think is fine (but really have no idea).

For output try selecting the Windows GSWavetable synth (whatever you windows default is).
For some people this has fixed weird issues when DXi rerouting was in place for certain systems.

Also, your Audio driver should not say Keystation.
It has no sound, right?

Lastly if you are using an ASIO driver, make sure no other device is grabbing the driver first .. and then PGMusic products can't access it.
Related to this; try enabling/disabling ASIO always On. If it doesn;t make a difference, put it back.

Oh, and in BiaB I *think* the MIDI In gets played thru the Thru channel. So something has to be on the other end ready to go (same MIDI channel etc).

Last edited by rharv; 01/05/17 01:35 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Yeah, it'd be great if I could find something on the track window (which I have at least managed to open up) that let me select input, but I don't see it. Everything MIDI related seems to be for loading/saving/sounds...none for live input.

Thanks, though.

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
>>For output try selecting the Windows GSWavetable synth (whatever you windows default is).
For some people this has fixed weird issues when DXi rerouting was in place for certain systems.

I've mostly had it as GSWavetable. Whatever I set it as, I get a warning about having DXi set, therefore MIDI output won't be used, except for MIDI thru. Which gives me an idea to search the help index for MIDI Thru. No joy there as the Help system crashes BiaB. But it gave me the thought of searching for MIDI Thru in the PDF and...it seems like I shouldn't need to do much more than add a "MIDI Thru" track.

So I add that and...nothin'. But I notice that its gray and the only tracks that sound are yellow. There's some kind of activation step I'm missing.

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Oh, I'm not sure what you mean by "audio driver" in this context. I have an MIDI input driver, which I've tried the two options—Keystation 88 and MIDIN2 (Keystation 88)—but not the <No MIDI/Sound Input> option 'cause...I can't figure out how that could possibly work.

I have a MIDI Output Driver, which lists the KeyStation 88, but since it's not a synthesizer, that would seem to make no sense. I may have tried it, but mostly I've stuck with Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

For Synthesizer / Sound Card, I've been using General MIDI Instrument Misc. I have a Sound Blaster Z but that's not one of the options and I figure the default should work.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Just for curiosity sake.... I just turned on my DAW computer.... made sure the speakers were on..... opened BiaB .... and played something on my keyboard.

What I was playing came out of the speakers.

Once you get the soundcard and driver issue set up properly, the midi keyboard should work.

www.herbhartley.com

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Yeah, I figured it had to be so simple there wasn't any need to document it when it was working normally.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
My comment on Audio drivers was caused by your statement "The Midi/Audio drivers setup shows the Keystation 88 for input."

Have you got Realtracks (meaning audio) to play back and work OK?

Another question; when you try to play, what channel do you have selected in BiaB?
Question 2 - What channel is the keyboard sending MIDI on?
Does the Synth channel match the track's selected MIDI channel?

FWIW I'm pretty sure I could get you working in RB .. I don't try much in BiaB other than trying out styles/chords .. then it's off to RB pretty quickly here.
More intuitive for me.

Can you simply connect the audio from the keyboard to the audio in on the computer?
That would be easiest.
Also, others know more, but I *think* MIDI thru is channel 4 or 5 on BiaB.

Also, very related thread:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=384248&page=3

Last edited by rharv; 01/06/17 01:46 PM.

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
rharv-- The persistence is appreciated.

>>Have you got Realtracks (meaning audio) to play back and work OK?

I can get audio out of the software, yes. I can enter chords and play them back in a selected style.

>> Another question; when you try to play, what channel do you have selected in BiaB?

Channel? I've tried different tracks (especially melody and thru) but I don't see how to set the MIDI channel.

>> Question 2 - What channel is the keyboard sending MIDI on?

I just set it to 1, but I can set it up to 16.

>>Does the Synth channel match the track's selected MIDI channel?

I don't know. I've rummaged through the Coyote thing to see if I could figure it out, but BiaB tends to crash any time I go in there.

>>FWIW I'm pretty sure I could get you working in RB .. I don't try much in BiaB other than trying out styles/chords .. then it's off to RB pretty quickly here.
More intuitive for me.<<

I think I've had that experience with past editions as well.

>>Can you simply connect the audio from the keyboard to the audio in on the computer?
That would be easiest. <<

There's no audio on the keyboard. It's strictly, as I understand it, for MIDI out. I got a USB port, which I'm using, and I got a classic MIDI out port. I guess I could get a sound module but I think that would just add another element to debug at this point.

>>Also, others know more, but I *think* MIDI thru is channel 4 or 5 on BiaB.

I switched the keyboard to four, then five, but didn't detect any difference.

>> Also, very related thread:

I can see how this might just be a bug. (Contemplating the codebase for this gives me a chill.) It mostly seems to relate to ASIO stuff, though, which I'm not using. I could, with the right chord, plug it into my sound card's ASIO port, I think, but really, I was just thinking of this keyboard as like a QWERTY with fewer keys. =P

I think there's a fundamental issue, with this software crashing all the time, and preventing me from doing things because of "lack of memory". I'm going to try a different machine, I think.

Last edited by dsbw; 01/07/17 12:56 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I had not, because when it gets to the part where you're setting the ASIO input, I know I'm not using any of the available inputs. OR SO I THOUGHT!

I went through it anyway and WTFOMG I can actually use the keyboard to play while BiaB is playing! I do not understand this at all but whatevs. For now it's working!

grin sick blush

Thank you for pounding it into my thick skull!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Glad it's working and thanks for letting us know the fix.
Now hang around and help someone else.
wink

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Love to. I've got a long way to go of course. =P

Beginners Forum
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Aaaaaaaand it's gone. lol

Now I'm set up just as in that post, but no longer hearing sound.

Yesterday, when it was working I shut it down to do some (paying) work and when I started it back up today, all the audio stuff was still set up, but pressing the keyboard does nothing.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Windows mixer in play here(?)
Did you use MediaPlayer or such and maybe windows changed a default?

aaaarrgh, that has to be frustrating after just having it working.

I'd double-double check all drivers and such again and remember what changed.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195