Go To
Beginners Forum
J
jdchess Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
I'm new to BiaB and I'm just trying to understand the basics. What actual effect does changing the style have in regards to RealTracks? Do different styles somehow generate the tracks differently, or will a particular RealTrack play essentially the same thing in all styles?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jdchess
Do different styles somehow generate the tracks differently, or will a particular RealTrack play essentially the same thing in all styles?

You may get a bit of controversy on this question, but my answer is you are correct in your assumption. Recordings just play what was recorded.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
jdchess, Welcome to the forum!

Nobody outside PG Music knows for sure. I believe the answer is it depends if you are using Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.

I believe style selection and the chord chart strongly influences what section of a RealTrack gets chosen. I don't think style influences section selection as strongly in RealBand.

Again, I don't know for sure but that is the impression I have.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jdchess
I'm new to BiaB and I'm just trying to understand the basics. What actual effect does changing the style have in regards to RealTracks? Do different styles somehow generate the tracks differently, or will a particular RealTrack play essentially the same thing in all styles?

I have personally found that a style can sound drastically different over my chord progression than it does in comparison to the style demo. In many cases, a RealTrack sounds completely different between the demo and chord chart generation.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am not that proficient with BIAB or RB yet.
I discovered a number of things that do change a style in relation to the demo.
First bpm, change it and the tempo changes. depending on real track selection tempo it may sound wobbly or ducky, especially in some of the blues styles.
Perhaps compare the comparable BPM of the real track to the bpm range of the selected style.
Real drums, bass and organ are the main culprits.

Chord selection in my opinion also changes how a style changes. Open chords with no 6ths or dims create the basic canvass of the song. chord changes can be made as the tune develops.

Tip: Start chord sequences as simple as possible.
Select the relevant style and press "play using current chord sheet for song" as a preview to your chord sequence.
Note drum types and beats such as even 8 or even 16 or swing 8 and swing 16 can change the feel of a composition.

The choice makes song development exciting as a selected style or beat rhythm may generate a total unexpected and pleasing result.

Happy comping

Last edited by WobblyGstring; 01/11/17 07:58 AM.
Beginners Forum
J
jdchess Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Thank you guys for the replies. I really appreciate the information.

It does seem like using the same group of RealTracks/RealDrums in different styles, say Country vs. Jazz vs. Rock, generates essentially the same result.

Another question in the same vein...

Does the style choice greatly alter the generation of the same MIDI track (vs what it does for a RealTrack)?

Outside of grouping a particular set of instruments/tracks (MIDI or Real), what does style choice really alter?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB has basically four engines for how the riffs you hear for each instrument are generated. There is an engine for traditional MIDI styles, a separate engine for super-MIDI styles, an engine for RealDrums, and for RealTracks.

MIDI Styles
MIDI styles are defined with various riffs for five tracks (traditionally defined as Drums, Bass, Piano, Guitar, and Strings; however, any instrument can appear on any track except for the drums, which must follow the channel 10 percussion standard for MIDI - you can have different drum kits, but there are no pitches associated with the MIDI notes, merely various percussion hits).

Very few styles have riffs up to their full capability; however, you can define up to 30 8-beat riffs, 30 4-beat riffs, 30 2-beat riffs, and 30 1-beat riffs for every "A" substyles and again the same for every "B" substyles (drums are a little different, but you get the idea).

Each of those riffs can be weights as to how often they play (1-8, with 9 being a special weighting that serves as a filter (or mask) for other requirements - such as only play on bar 3 of 4, or 7 of 8, of right before a fill, etc. The default is a weight of 5, so if all the riffs are set to 5, then they are played for the most part evenly distributed across the song.

What the engine does is looks ahead and see how long it is before the next chord. If there is at least 8 beats to the next chord, then it's going to pick a riff from the up-to-30 8-beat patterns. If there are none defined, it will drop down to the 4-beat patterns, etc. If it only need a 2-beat pattern, it will select from the available 2-beat patterns. If there are only 8-beat patterns defined, and you need a 4-beat pattern, it will use the first 4-beats of the 8-beat pattern in that case.

So you can see that mathematically, there can literally be thousands and thousands of possibilities for each chord. Just for 8-beat patterns, with 30 riffs among 5 instruments, you can potentially have 142506 possibilities. Likewise for the 4-beat patterns, etc.

Granted, many of the riffs among the 30 may very well be very similar with just a few note differences, so there will only be minor differences (obviously, if you are playing a style of music that calls for only hitting notes on the beat, then yes, you can change notes, but there will not be much rhythmic variance and the only differences between the riffs are the actual notes hit).

But, as you can see, within a single MIDI style, there are many, many possible variations.

It used to be that you could only have one MIDI style per song. Then they added the ability to changes styles in the middle of a song, so that effectively doubled the possibilities. Then later PGMusic added the capability to mix and match instrument definitions from other MIDI styles, which increased the options even more; however, the rules for how the engine selected which riffs to play remained constant across the styles.

RealDrums

RealDrums are audio files that are merely sliced and diced with the RealDrums engine. I believe that the number of variations you get is really dependent upon how long the recorded RealDrum file is. RealDrums also contain variations (such as brushes vs sticks, hihat vs ride cymbal, etc.)

You can even create your own RealDrums, which gives some insight into how they work. You have to conform to one of several templates when creating RealDrums:

• 1. 32_bars_of_drumming.txt
  • 2. 32_bars_of_drumming_with_shots.txt
  • 3. 32_bars_of_drumming_with_shots_two_endings.txt
  • 4. 64_bars_of_drumming.txt
  • 5. 64_bars_of_drumming_with_shots.txt
  • 6. 64_bars_of_drumming_with_shots_two_endings.txt

And the instructions go on to define what needs to be played in the bars within that template (for example, count-in, postfills, fills, normal playing, etc.)

RealTracks

RealTracks, like RealDrums, are recorded audio, You cannot use RealTracks to play individual notes (unless you go into a DAW and slice and dice them yourself, but then you are just creating a sample set which won't necessarily sound any better than any other sample set, but I digress). The RealTracks follow a chord progression (and you can learn more about how this works by reading up on UserTracks, which work similarly). The RealTracks follow a chord progression template and the more chords you play, the less the RealTracks engine has to pitch shift the audio. The variations you get really depend upon the length of the resulting WAV file, from which the various riffs will be extracted to create the sound you get. There's not a lot of information about how the RealTracks (or UserTracks) engine decides which riffs to play, but generally, the more recorded material you have, the more riffs you have to choose from.

But, unlike MIDI, what you get is going to be based on the chord where the riff was played. With MIDI styles, it will create the chord from the notes of the chord using the riff defined in the style, so the MIDI styles are not chord dependent at all - all supported chords can be created from a MIDI style.

With RealTracks, however, (as I understand it) if your song has a C7sus chord in it, then the engine is going to look for a C7sus in the RealTracks file. If there is only one, that's the one it's going to use every time. If there are 10, then there are 10 to choose from. If there is no C7sus chord in the RT, then it's going to look for a sus7 chord close to the C (maybe a Bsus7 or C#sus7 or Bbsus7 or Dsus7) and use that as a pitch shifted chord. However, if it finds the chord you want, it's not going to look for other chord pitches to use - if you only have one, that's the one it's going to use. If it doesn't find any sus7 chords, then it's going to look for a sus chord and use it instead, so it will step down to a point. Sometimes you actually get nothing.

So, as long as your RealTrack is made up of playing many, many different chords, you'll have a lot to choose from, but a RealTrack can't create a chord that isn't there (unlike the MIDI style). Also, you need to have recorded riffs of varying lengths, so it knows whether to use a 1-beat, 2-beat, 4-beat, 8-beat, etc riff. Otherwise, if all you did was record long 8-beat riffs, if it has to chop the audio into 1- or 2-beat riffs, it's going to sound pretty choppy when you play it back.

More is better. That is why for UserTracks, you can actually create multiple files from which to choose from, to give it a greater flexibility to choose riffs for the chords you enter.

Super-MIDI Styles
I don't have a lot of information about how these are created and selected and PGMusic hasn't published it, but as I understand it, I suspect that the Super-MIDI tracks engine works kind of like a hybrid between the MIDI engine and the RealTracks engine.

Okay, I suspect that's more than you cared to know, but hopefully it made sense and helps.

If I have stated something in error, I hope PGMusic (or someone more knowledgeable) will offer correction, but that's how I understand it at this point.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
john,
Thanks for the information.

Always great to understand a little more of what's going on under the hood.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you Mr Ford. I had no idea what was going on the background. It treat BB like my car. If its keeps going I dont open the bonnet and look inside at the engine. If it stops I call Ghostb--- XX I put a post on the forum. lol
I just finished my first sgu using three realtracks and a realdrums. Its like having the guys in your front room. F.A.B.
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I would like to address the questions by jdchess, the original poster. You have received some terrific explanations of what is going on. It is my opinion that your conclusions are correct, that the same RealTrack will sound very much the same if played in another genre. What can fool you is that, when you combine different tracks, the one track can be perceived very differently depending on what else is played with it. Just solo the track and you'll get the real picture.

Another way to answer this question is to talk from the perspective of styles. Styles are only collections of RealTracks and/or MIDI tracks that make sense to the person who created the style. But you can substitute individual tracks from that pre-made style, and even save the result as your own name. Or you can go the other way: build your own unique style from a collection of tracks you assemble. And when you do that, the BIAB chosen style does not matter!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
WendyM, although some of us have years or decades of experience with BIAB, we do not always know exactly how something works, either. Sometimes a few of us report problems to the company, but again, we are just fellow users.

PG Music has created a proprietary product and they have some company secrets. We users make our best guess sometimes, unless and until PG Music staff tell all of us the specific answer. Regularly, they do just that, and then we can assist others.

All this is fine. We support the company and their right to create something unique and profit from it. Our job is what the company founder, Peter Gannon, says in the signature for all his posts: "Have Fun!".

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
J
jdchess Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
John and Matt,

Thank you both for the information and insight. It is greatly appreciated.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I too am a complete newbie having my BIAB for ONE WHOLE day and already enduring my 12th headache!!
Anyway not to bore you with too much of my personal dilemas............

I spent an hour or so going through many variations of the country styles and found one fitted the vocal melody to the chords I had in mind for my song.
Unfortunatley BIAB seems to have regenerated the style and its not now the same feel. I keep pressing the regenerate button and nothing seems to have that feel the first one did.

SO,

If I keep regenerating will that variation come around again?
Is there a certain number of generations to each style (if you get my drift)otherwise I may have to go through the 2000 + to return to where I was
How do I make BIAB not regenerate

PS Many Thanks to John & Matt for the 'inner workings' the goings on under the hood as it were of BIAB/RB
PPS
i'M NOT 100 % SURE but when selecting my styles I stored some in favourites, I then from that list, chose the one I thought most suitable. After BIAB re generated the style I didnt think it worked , hence my frustration and post above. However I think I am back to the original after going back into favourites and choosing the same style has brought it back to the same feel. (still with me anyone?)
Or
Maybe I have heard so many instruments and sounds going around in my head all day everything is begging to become muddled.

Last edited by Yorkshireknight; 01/31/17 01:58 AM.

https://soundcloud.com/yorkshireknight
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e8SXLwMaA00HcN0RaEqEA

BIAB/Realband Ultra plus Pak.2017(3)Intel i7,16GB Ram, 250 GB SSD,2TB HD. Mixcraft 7,Line6 ux2, axiom 49,NT1 mic
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Conduct a TEST of this.

Start with any BB song that you have created and saved.

Observe the style. Lets say it's country. You know what the song sounds like in BB & RB,

Simply change that style to Reggae in BB and save it with a different name and then open it in RB and see what it sounds like. You will notice the changes immediately in BB, but open it in RB to see how RB treats it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
jdchess,

As our dear friend Mac would say: "The only stupid question is the one never asked!"

We are all in various stages of learning the software so we learn along with you as fellow users answer your questions so don't hesitate to ask. In 15 years on these PG forums, I have yet to see anyone flamed for asking a question.

There are users at every level of expertise in musicology who hang their egos at the door and willingly help others. Totally unlike some other sites.

True, we've had a few trolls and trouble-makers over the years but they generally don't last long. They can't confront the depth of knowledge found here. Also, the moderators do a superior job.

Donny

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yorkshireknight, what you are asking about, to not regenerate a track, is called Freeze Track. You can freeze one, many or all tracks. Also be aware there are two Play buttons. Play will not regenerate (unless you changed the song), and Gen/Play does.

About continuing to regenerate to get the exact same track you once liked, I think the answer is yes, but you'll need lots of patience. In RealBand, you can regenerate just a section of a track.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thank you Matt. Also interesting about the part track generate, could be very useful.

I have experimented with several things and so I am becoming more aware of the capabilities of BIAB/RB and so can strat to enjoy it now I know a little more.

Knowledge can sometimes be a dangerous thing!

https://soundcloud.com/yorkshireknight
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e8SXLwMaA00HcN0RaEqEA

BIAB/Realband Ultra plus Pak.2017(3)Intel i7,16GB Ram, 250 GB SSD,2TB HD. Mixcraft 7,Line6 ux2, axiom 49,NT1 mic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195