Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#388825 01/06/17 08:45 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi gentlemen, I have mention this issue before with no much help. So now I'll ask if any one using the Ketron SD2 or other external sound module have the same problem with playing the midi out of sync in relation to real drums or real tracks. If the issue has been resolved, pleas let me know. This is happening after the 2017 version installation.
Please help with this. I use the Ketron in many of my pieces.
Thanks

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Cannot confirm this... I too use the Ketron SD2 as the normal midi set up, and there was no change/problem with the new BiaB...
Bernard

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,
I'm having exactly the same problem using my keyboard through the Ketron SD2.

I've been struggling for over a week now... I've done Return to Factory settings a dozen times (both MOST and ALL). I've reloaded BB2017, I've reverted back to earlier Preferences that I've saved - nothing.

I've never had a problem with the regular updates over the last 10 or 15 years, but this one is testing my patience. If I knew that it would work properly I'd revert back to BB2016, which worked perfectly.

I'm using my keyboard through an Edirol UM1x and into the Ketron from there.

Hopefully the Support Desk or one of the forum gurus may be able to help us.

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Keith for confirming that. Nothing worst that believing that one is the only one with the problem. I've done all of what you say with no joy, and certainly wouldn't want to go back to 2016. I hope someone come up with the light on this.
Regards

Mike B.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,
Yes, it's nice to know you're not the only one.
Did you also find that your preferences (metronome, colours, high bank patches etc) had also disappeared? and it seems to revert to the synthesiser rather that the SD2?

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
Veteran
What OS are you both using?

I have read on other sites that Win 10 is "upgrading" audio drivers. That means MS has replaced some native audio interface drivers with a generic MS driver. Individuals had to uninstall those drivers and reinstall the native drivers.

good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Have you double checked your MIDI driver selection?

It's possible to have MIDIMapper selected instead of your true device.
If so, it is possible that MIDI is being sent to Windows first, and Windows is in turn routing it to the device output. If so YMMV .. a lot

Your device name may be different than my 'yes' device below, the point is make sure MIDIMapper isn't involved for external gear unless necessary.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MIDIexternalDriver.jpg (26.35 KB, 140 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for your responses.

Mario - I'm using Win 7, so the driver issue shouldn't affect me.

Bob - Yes, my input & output drivers are set to UM-1, which is my Edirol interface between the computer, Ketron and PC.

I've also ensured that the "Use VSTi/DXi Synth" box is not checked.

Thank for offering possible solutions.

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
Veteran
Bump ..... hoping that someone from Support may see it.

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
Veteran
Why wait here hoping for support to read these multiple, disparate threads on topics from puppies to why computer won't boot since installing BIAB V2 for DOS,

JUST EMAIL THEM

explain situation and ALSO reference this thread

and while you and cubanpete wait we can STILL try to figure this out among us users

WHICH REMINDS ME - can you point to a particular factory Demo song I can try to see if I get same drift/timing difference using my various external synths I DO NOT HAVE an SD2 but I do have many others

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/10/17 07:44 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
You guys ARE USING ASIO not MME?

I just tried this with a factory demo song (in BOTH Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro)

Style "J~Easy.sty" and it's demo song "Bluebird - J~Easy.sty demo"

ALL MIDI tracks except RD's.

MIDI routing: computer to a USB MIDI 4x4 unit that goes to my first JL Cooper MSB Rev 2 MIDI patch bay that feeds my second JL Cooper MSB Rev 2 MIDI patch bay then finally out to an Edirol SC-8850

And initially the RD's were lagging badly - until I remembered to check - I still had MME on!

As soon as I used an ASIO driver (I tried both my M-audio FW 410 native driver and the ASIO4ALL driver) timing was good even at 512 samples (buffer size).

Routing to a few other units (all set to GM) no timing issues (XV-5080, Integra 7, QSR, Fantom XR, Montage 7, Alesis Fusion) all on different ports or different MIDI patch bays even thru multiple patch bays (which adds around ~3-5ms depending delay anyway)

Good Luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi gentlemen, I have mention this issue before with no much help. So now I'll ask if any one using the Ketron SD2 or other external sound module have the same problem with playing the midi out of sync in relation to real drums or real tracks. If the issue has been resolved, pleas let me know. This is happening after the 2017 version installation.
Please help with this. I use the Ketron in many of my pieces.
Thanks

Mike B.

Can you go to Audio | Drivers/Settings, and try adjusting the 'Offset' value. Does that make a difference?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
hi Larry the idea of posting this in the forum is that more people would see it thus more chances of a response other than just e-mailing to support. I've been using Win 7 64 for awhile and MME since 2007 with no issues whatsoever.
Andrew I'll try your suggestion next.
Thanks to all

Mike B.

Veteran
Veteran
Mike

Apologies - I was painting you and Keith with same brush he sounded like (actual said) he WAS waiting for support to jump in here.

good luck

Larry

Veteran
Veteran
I think I may have a solution. I've messaged Cuban Pete and asked him to see if it works for him. if he concurs I'll post it here.

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
Veteran
ANDREW jump in an correct.

I have to confess I never played with the offset becasue I have never needed to, still don’t. But here's what I've found (Andrew if he's still around can correct in PLAIN ENGLISH)

Frankly "offset" is not as well explained in the help file as it could have been "Offset," in the Help file says:

" Offset in MS

This is not a setting that gets set automatically. It defaults to zero. This allows you to adjust the timing that the sound card plays audio in relation to MIDI. Normally you'd leave this at zero, but if you need to fine tune the synchronization of audio to MIDI you could try changing this setting."

OK what is NOT explicitly stated, which I think would help clarify in the Help file, is that the "offset" can take on BOTH POSITIVE and NEGATIVE values.

Here's what I found

When using MME:

Using a negative values holds the sound card audio (e.g., a RD 'beat") back by that amount of milliseconds, while the MIDI note-on data leads. I used external MIDI module so as not to confuse/confound this with softsynth latency issues/topics.

using a a zero (0) value (which moves nothing in time) shows the built-in delta between ability to get wav data into the sound card and MIDI note-on data pulse out.

Using a positive values pushes the sound card audio (e.g., a RD 'beat') ahead of, it leads, the MIDI note-on. In my mind, this has to mean that a positive offset DELAYs the MIDI note-on data package from being sent, because you can't trigger the sound card audio any faster than the audio driver & electronics can "fire" irrespective of when sent.

Try it. Put a RD (audio) with just a MIDI BASS (to an external module) and set offset -500 then +500 so you can really hear time delta when setting it negative vice positive.

When using ASIO: It makes no difference (in my case - at least not when using an external audio card).

But there is no real point to retarding or advancing timing (funny - who remembers points, dwell meters, timing lights, timing marks, TDC - LOL) ASIO audio relative to MIDI data because the whole point of ASIO is to allow closer timing of MIDI note-on triggering sound (generating audio) compared to information that is already in audio form (e.g., playing along using MIDI keyboard triggering a soft synth while listing to an MP3 or DAW, already generated, audio in near sync/minimal delay) .

hot air off

Larry

Journeyman
Journeyman
My SD4 got RUINED by the last ROM update, and it is ONLY with BIAB. Ketron was ZERO help. I did find a workaround using a different MIDI in port for recording, but it was not just out of sync... it was STUTTERING with a horrendous noise. Was told not to rollback. I switched to the SD1000 which doesn't have that problem and now use my SD4 for just live performance.

Great sounds... best in the biz, but a small Italian company is not what one looks to for support, especially if it only affects one program (even if it is the best program in the universe.)

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
I believe there have been a few posts where, after upgrading, MS Offset strangely acquired a value. Returning the value to the zero (0) default "fixed" latency issues.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Well I'm please to report that Mike & I have solved our latency problem, thanks to guidance from Andrew

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

Can you go to Audio | Drivers/Settings, and try adjusting the 'Offset' value. Does that make a difference?

As Andrew suggested, I changed the Audio Settings offset to 100mS (which also changes the Audio Latency to 100mS) and this allowed the Real tracks & MIDI to align.
Thanks Andrew, and thanks to everyone that chimed in with suggestions.

I have a couple more issues, but I'll start a new subject for them.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Offset.jpg (71.03 KB, 27 downloads)

Cheers,
Keith
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199