Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Why we let people exploit us is the mystery to me.
  • Open mic nights - the owner/management gets paid, the bartenders get paid, the wait staff gets paid, the janitors get paid and the musician works for free, plus he/she even brings friends and family in to make more money for the people who are getting paid
  • Playing anywhere for 'exposure' - same as above
  • Bad deals with record companies and streaming companies - similar to above

If you want to play for free, there is nothing wrong with that. Find a charity you like, play in a public park, a neighbor's house, a party, or any other non-commercial place you want. But if it's a business and the management and staff are getting paid, don't play for free, you are only being exploited.

This old argument seems to resurface around here from time to time. And the point about playing open mics is just wrong! smile

Open mics are a way for venues to try and make a little profit on nights when no one is coming in to drink. I have attended and performed at many and they are generally poorly attended with the performers, and maybe a friend or two each, making up the entire "audience".

And most of the performers tend to be amateurs who are testing the waters or just experiencing the thrill of being on a stage. These are typically folks who will never be paid to perform anyway.

Quote:
In addition you are harming the ability of both yourself and other musicians to make a living by playing music

This one always cracks me up! We are all here because we use software to eliminate paid musicians in our live performances, recordings and/or practice sessions! Using your "logic", if you are using BIAB or RB you are putting other musicians out of work! That drummer and bass player and rhythm guitar player and keyboardist who have to work as Walmart greeters could be making a living playing music if you were not using software to eliminate their jobs! And Notes, you actually make money selling tools to help others eliminate paid musicians!

My view is playing open mics AND using BIAB are both just fine! And I don't lose any sleep over the poor buggy whip makers who lost their jobs when those newfangled automobiles ruined the horse and buggy industry either. Progress changes things. Ya gotta stay sharp and adapt. Or you might end up in one of those Walmart greeter positions. laugh

Edit: and no offense intended to Walmart greeters! It's a job and if you are working good for you!!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/13/17 07:01 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

• Open mic nights - the owner/management gets paid, the bartenders get paid, the wait staff gets paid, the janitors get paid and the musician works for free, plus he/she even brings friends and family in to make more money for the people who are getting paid

I have been beating that drum for years. Our town is fraught with "jam night" events. I will never play at one, and outside of when our band threw one a year ago, I have not. I have attended a few just to look around. It's the same guys, many of which do not play in bands regularly, who know 3 songs, and this is their 7 minutes of fame to get up and play one of those 3 songs. All so their drunken friends can give them empty praise telling then how great they are despite the fact that they usually suck (or a band would recruit them).

If you want me to play, you will pay me. If not, I don't really miss it. And I don't have to be in a bar with people who make me uncomfortable.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I have been beating that drum for years. Our town is fraught with "jam night" events. I will never play at one, and outside of when our band threw one a year ago, I have not. I have attended a few just to look around. It's the same guys, many of which do not play in bands regularly, who know 3 songs, and this is their 7 minutes of fame to get up and play one of those 3 songs. All so their drunken friends can give them empty praise telling then how great they are despite the fact that they usually suck (or a band would recruit them).

If you want me to play, you will pay me. If not, I don't really miss it. And I don't have to be in a bar with people who make me uncomfortable.

Yep as you have stated in bold above this is the reason they want to do it and why they don't mind NOT getting paid.
Good luck to them, they are enjoying themselves and bringing some fun to their lives.

It is is their guitar, their voice, even though they may only know three songs, their time (not mine or yours) and if they choose to do it for free, well more power to them.

This is mainly a hobbyist board, where most people are actually out money fulfilling their hobby of making music, just getting tired of this old argument on here, maybe if it was a pro board for working musicians I would understand, but on here it isn't.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/14/17 02:34 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
<...>Using your "logic", if you are using BIAB or RB you are putting other musicians out of work! That drummer and bass player and rhythm guitar player and keyboardist who have to work as Walmart greeters could be making a living playing music if you were not using software to eliminate their jobs! And Notes, you actually make money selling tools to help others eliminate paid musicians!<...>

Faulty logic.

We play in venues that hire singles and duos, and never hired a larger band. There isn't even enough room for a larger band. The stage, if there is one is 8'x8' and even a trio wouldn't fit on that. Putting musicians out of work? Not. Putting musicians to work.

In addition there are places around that hire 4 piece and larger bands. They would never-ever hire a duo because their venue is too large, we would look tiny on stage, and couldn't fill the room with the ambience that a larger group could.

In fact, we played for the local Marine Corps League for the Corps' birthday party for 12 years straight. They got a bigger facility, thanked us for all our years of entertainment, and told us that they needed a bigger band for their new building. I recommended a couple of bands to them.

So we are not putting anybody out of work at all. Your logic is very flawed.

We have a couple of clubs here that now have open mic nights on the weekends. Musicians are playing for free, they are bringing in paying customers, and getting one free beer. That's exploitation, that's putting other musicians out of work.

How would you like it if someone came to your boss, told him he would do your job for free a couple of days a week, and your boss gave you a couple of days a week off without pay?

This is what open mic venues do to working musicians.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I understand the feelings of some of the payed musicians on this forum but like all issues that effect us personally it's hard to be objective.

It boils down to the following question. If you choose performing music as a way of making money why should a money making venue subsidize you by not choosing a business plan that includes the low cost option of open mic nights? It's freedom and capitalism in the raw.

Tony

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Reputation probably keeps the drummer, bass player, rhythm guitarist and keyboardist off the stage more so than BIAB ever could.

Some musicians are either unreliable, incorrigible and unkempt. Some are all three and more.

Style probably keeps the drummer, bass player, rhythm guitarist and keyboardist off the stage more so than BIAB ever could.

Many musicians are locked into a particular genre of music and lack the ambition and drive to expand out their current playlist so therefore would not be a good fit to play in a band that plays originals rather than all covers. The metal guitarist may not be able to adjust to working with an all acoustic bluegrass band. (The bluegrass band likely couldn't adjust either)

BIAB is a tool. Midi is a tool. A good keyboard player with a quality keyboard playing live and using his keyboard to it's full potential can replace an entire orchestra. A musician that is versatile and a good player can use midi from his guitar to replace a keyboardist, bass player, drummer.

The fact that Notes is chosen for a gig over his competitors probably has nothing to do with BIAB but more so with his personality, business sense, talent and reputation. Logic tells us that regardless the reason a choice between several options is made that those options not chosen must look elsewhere for consideration.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
<...>Using your "logic", if you are using BIAB or RB you are putting other musicians out of work! That drummer and bass player and rhythm guitar player and keyboardist who have to work as Walmart greeters could be making a living playing music if you were not using software to eliminate their jobs! And Notes, you actually make money selling tools to help others eliminate paid musicians!<...>

Faulty logic.

We play in venues that hire singles and duos, and never hired a larger band. There isn't even enough room for a larger band. The stage, if there is one is 8'x8' and even a trio wouldn't fit on that. Putting musicians out of work? Not. Putting musicians to work.

In addition there are places around that hire 4 piece and larger bands. They would never-ever hire a duo because their venue is too large, we would look tiny on stage, and couldn't fill the room with the ambience that a larger group could.

In fact, we played for the local Marine Corps League for the Corps' birthday party for 12 years straight. They got a bigger facility, thanked us for all our years of entertainment, and told us that they needed a bigger band for their new building. I recommended a couple of bands to them.

So we are not putting anybody out of work at all. Your logic is very flawed.

We have a couple of clubs here that now have open mic nights on the weekends. Musicians are playing for free, they are bringing in paying customers, and getting one free beer. That's exploitation, that's putting other musicians out of work.

How would you like it if someone came to your boss, told him he would do your job for free a couple of days a week, and your boss gave you a couple of days a week off without pay?

This is what open mic venues do to working musicians.

Spot on, Notes. Giving a club a free band while bands are sitting at home wishing they had a gig is bad for our business and if band members would "band" together and stop doing free stuff, the practice of jam night would die a quiet death. But the non-working musicians are still attention whores and that few bits of empty praise from their friends matters to them. For myself, the only one I have to impress is ME.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
I understand the feelings of some of the payed musicians on this forum but like all issues that effect us personally it's hard to be objective.

It boils down to the following question. If you choose performing music as a way of making money why should a money making venue subsidize you by not choosing a business plan that includes the low cost option of open mic nights? It's freedom and capitalism in the raw.

Tony

Around here, most establishments that offer open mic also have paid bands the rest of the week... so it isn't as though the open mic undermines the other musicians.. they draw different crowds.

Karaoke and open mic both draw an audience of active participants that hopes to watch a while then play a while. Most of the people in the open mic audience have their names on the list to perform. Same goes for karaoke.

Traditional bands appeal to an audience of passive observers. They came either to socialize or to hear the band. In both cases they tend to be passive observers while the open mic and karaoke crowds tend to be active participants.

In the same sense that Eddie would not be interested in attending a karaoke or open mic night, those crowds would probably not be interested in watching someone else perform if they didn't have the chance to get on stage next.

The establishment owner has an incentive to appeal to all of the above crowds, because if he limits it to the same one every night, it dilutes the earning potential. For example if his live music audience tends to spend $x,000 a week, if he can focus the same 7 day income into 5 days, anything he makes on the other 2 days from the karaoke and open mic crowd is gravy.

So in a sense, these karaoke & Open mic acts help the club owners to stay in business, which is good for the other acts that are getting paid.

But there is also the case of minimum quality, below which point it drives customers away. Lots of open mic nights close down because the quality is such that even the other players get embarrassed and stop coming.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Back on topic....

As a Xtra Styles user & winner in the contest, the song I wrote for it, "Lovely Mystery", is the perfect example of "my reasons for making music".

We have ALL seen the odd couple, the old fart with the young blond, or the old lady with the young stud....the well dressed man & the derelict looking wife, etc etc and have wondered HOW the got so lucky (or unlucky, as the case may be grin ). How they, as a couple, could go thru such sorrow, or joy, or stupidity...come on, ya all KNOW what I am talking about, we ALL know that couple! laugh

The song is, plain & simple, myself wondering out loud in a way that others can relate to. cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm from the WWII era when making music as a family was more common. We didn't have TV until I was 14. Listening to radio while huddled as a family WAS our main source of entertainment.

We would entertain ourselves by singing and playing guitar or mandolin. I think that folks today have more entertainment options so home-brew music has fallen off sharply in recent decades.

We made our own 'instuments' such as a salt box partially filled with rice or dried beans for a shaker.

Technology has stolen much of those joyous memories.

Donny

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

You make a big deal out of open mic participants taking jobs from working musicians yet you use (and even sell addons for) a software tool designed specifically to replace musicians! How do you not see the hypocrisy in that? laugh

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/14/17 04:01 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I'm from the WWII era when making music as a family was more common. We didn't have TV until I was 14. Listening to radio while huddled as a family WAS our main source of entertainment.

We would entertain ourselves by singing and playing guitar or mandolin. I think that folks today have more entertainment options so home-brew music has fallen off sharply in recent decades.

We made our own 'instuments' such as a salt box partially filled with rice or dried beans for a shaker.

Donny

I'm with you on that! My dad came from a family that grew up on a farm. A larger family that had 14 kids. To this day, they still meet every Sat morning in the "milkhouse." It's not really that now, but once was. It's not uncommon for guitars to start playing and a sing-a-long happens...and dancing.

Thanks for sharing that. I absolutely love hearing of simpler times. I miss it, and wasn't even there!

Thanks Donny!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

You make a big deal out of open mic participants taking jobs from working musicians yet you use (and even sell addons for) a software tool designed specifically to replace musicians! How do you not see the hypocrisy in that? laugh

J3,

Simple logic dictates that technology is replacing humans in every field of endeavor. It seems necessary that each of us find a niche to fill for survival and self preservation. Bob Norton is slightly ahead of the curve.

YMMV

Donny

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

J3,

Simple logic dictates that technology is replacing humans in every field of endeavor. It seems necessary that each of us find a niche to fill for survival and self preservation. Bob Norton is slightly ahead of the curve.

YMMV

Donny

I hear ya Don and I fully support using technology. But I don't understand why folks feel the need to demonize others who are just trying to have fun or catch a break.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Donny

Lovely story don. Thanks for sharing. We definitely have such a huge variety of options for technology based entertainment these days. My sister is visiting me at the moment and is lying in bed playing bridge online with people all around the world. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. One thing I do notice is that kids handle all this technology overload much better than adults. It just becomes part of their lives.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I don't see the software tool replacing musicians.

I gig in a duo using software. But I play in places that never hired a bigger band. I play in places where a bigger band wouldn't even fit. Two musicians are working in a place that has always had singles or duos. Net gain or loss = zero. So how is the software replacing musicians?

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

I don't see the software tool replacing musicians.

I gig in a duo using software. But I play in places that never hired a bigger band. I play in places where a bigger band wouldn't even fit. Two musicians are working in a place that has always had singles or duos. Net gain or loss = zero. So how is the software replacing musicians?

The software is making it possible for you to provide musical parts in your performances that another musician would be playing. So because of the software you are able to avoid hiring musicians. And you sell software to allow others to eliminate paid musicians from their performances, recordings and practice sessions!

AND ALL THAT IS JUST FINE!

What is hypocritical is doing that and then turning around and criticizing musicians who want to play an open mic! Open mics (and similar events) are 1) fun for the musicians, 2) beneficial for the venue (which is almost always barely breaking even) and 3) perfectly legal!

So I encourage you to keep performing and saving money by not hiring real musicians AND I encourage anyone who enjoys Open Mics to go out and have fun!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/15/17 08:15 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Doesn't make sense to me. Two musicians working where two musicians have always worked.

We just sound bigger than two musicians used to sound.

Net gain = 0

Net loss = 0

So how many musicians are out of work?

So following your flawed logic, the player in a piano bar who brings along a drum machine is putting a drummer out of work, even though a drummer has never played in that piano bar.

Doesn't make sense to me.

So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! I can't believe someone needs to point this out to you two. It's not 100% in either direction!

Just because YOU wouldn't have additional musicians, doesn't mean NO ONE is using it that way.

And just because someone is using the technology to enhance their performance doesn't mean they would WOULD be using additional musicians otherwise.

Seriously, at some point respect the post please.

I love ya both but, come on. Keep going back and forth all you want; but maybe maybe start a new thread. Just a thought. Flame on.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow! I can't believe someone needs to point this out to you two. It's not 100% in either direction!

Just because YOU wouldn't have additional musicians, doesn't mean NO ONE is using it that way.

And just because someone is using the technology to enhance their performance doesn't mean they would WOULD be using additional musicians otherwise.

Seriously, at some point respect the post please.

I love ya both but, come on. Keep going back and forth all you want; but maybe maybe start a new thread. Just a thought. Flame on.

You should read the posts more carefully! I am not concerned at all with whether or not someone is using tech to replace musicians...if they are then fine...if they are not then fine! I am responding to the tired old assertion that open mic participants are somehow wronging musicians who wanna get paid. And of course they are not!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/16/17 07:37 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195