Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
OP Offline
I'm using RealBand2017 on Windows 10.

I created a song in BIAB2017 and then opened it in RealBand.

I then spent 5+ hours adding new RealTracks and editing those tracks in various ways (editing individual tracks, volume changes, fades, FX changes, and so on) until I had it tweaked just the way I wanted.

As I am going along, I save multiple copies of the file, so in case the program crashes, I have a backup point to start up again from without losing all my work.

When you save a RealBand file like this (as an *.SGU file), you get a prompt that if you have added any audio you have recorded yourself, you should save the file as a *.SEQ file. Well, I had not recorded any original audio - every bit of audio in my file was generated by RealBand. No original audio at all. BUT - of course - the warning message is WRONG. *.SGU files seem to save absolutely nothing that you do in RealBand. It's just the original BIAB file with no changes, regardless of whatever work you've done in RealBand.

Why RealBand even allows you to save a file as a *.SGU file is a mystery, since it seems to have ZERO VALUE TO DO SO.

DO NOT EVER SAVE REALBAND FILES AS *.SGU FILES. YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR TIME.

ALWAYS SAVE REALBAND FILES AS *.SEQ FILES.

Another example of the incredible poor design and UX for this product. It has amazing capabilities and there's nothing like it on the market that I'm aware of, but it's very frustrating to use because of the hundreds of things like this. Indicative of lousy design practices and poor product management. A shame really.

Anyway, saving RealBand files in the *.SGU format, which is the default format, is WORTHLESS.

Hugh Heinsohn
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Umm, must be some setting somewhere Hugh. All of my RB files automatically save to SEQ files. One tip, when you do save, initially save the file using "Save AS...". This seems to capture all of my tracks and settings, regardless if they are midi, RealTracks or audio. After that initial "Save AS", I can just use the normal "Save" and any further changes are also saved. But in any case, they are all saved as SEQ files.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hugh,

I hear your frustration.

The BIAB SGU/MGU format that Realband uses is a two way street that allows transfer of files back and forth between BIAB and Realband. For this reason, this file format only relates to the blue BIAB tracks found at the top of the Realband tracks (since BIAB only has 7 instrumental tracks). Any normal Realband tracks are not saved in the SGU format.

If you open "Preferences" and go to the "File" tab, there's an option at the bottom of the settings window to set SEQ as the default format.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
SAVE AS : SEQ....

Then, you can save periodically as you work with a simple mouse click.

It's a learning process. Thanks for pointing that out so the new users can benefit from your misfortune and not repeat that mistake themselves.

We tend to remember things when we make mistakes like that.

Been there, done that, and not just once.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
OP Offline
Thanks all!

Found the Options/Preferences/File "Default to *.SEQ format when saving a file" setting and have done that.

I understand about the two way street idea with BIAB, although since no changes you make in RB seem to be saved in the *.SGU file format, I still question the need to even support that format for saving files in RB.

The warning message that comes up when you attempt to save an RB file in the *.SGU format is beyond misleading - it's downright wrong. This seems especially strange since it's such a verbose warning. (I like verbose warnings, but only if they contain correct information.)

An expensive mistake leading to a valuable lesson: Never assume that warning messages in BIAB/RB are telling you the truth and always test everything before investing a lot of time in a production.

Thanks again everyone!

Hugh Heinsohn
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry to hear of your dilemma Hugh, but there is definitely a reason that RB material can be saved in SGU format.

As a simple example, RealBand allows you to edit tracks much more flexibly than BiaB does. You can take a song into RB, edit the required bars, then import it back into BiaB. If RB only saved as .SEQ files, this would not be possible.

Hope it's smooth sailing from now on.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
since no changes you make in RB seem to be saved in the *.SGU file format

I've been burned by this before, and always immediately save to SEQ as soon as I open a file.

But just wanted to explain this. If you open RB, enter a chord chard, select a style and tempo, you can then save as SGU, which you can open in BIAB (which will show the same style, same tempo, and same chord chart). You'll have to regenerate the song to hear it, but this is required, as BIAB does not open a SEQ file.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: hughrheinsohn
Anyway, saving RealBand files in the *.SGU format, which is the default format, is WORTHLESS.

Wrong. Sorry.

First, all of us including me have screwed up in saving stuff. Hell, I've even wiped out the wrong vocal track because my eyes were going crosseyed and I wasn't paying attention either. Luckily I had the vocal saved as it's own wav file so I was able to import it back in but that was a bonehead move on my part because I still lost a bunch of current edits I had just done.

Consider this: You've spent 5 hours with Biab testing out different styles, different RT's whatever then decide to move it to RB. You save it to the default .SEQ. What did you just do? YOU JUST WIPED OUT THE BIAB FILE. IT'S GONE.

And as already mentioned RB will open a SGU file but Biab will NOT open an SEQ file so it's gone, baby.

There are many reasons I won't go into here why you would want to keep that Biab file as well as the new SEQ.

All I can say in a friendly way is pay attention, read the manual and stop with the ranting about "incredible poor design" and all that. DAW's are complicated and the manuals are hundreds of pages because everybody wants every possible choice there is for everything.

This is simply one of many choices you need to pay attention to. There's a multipage thread from last summer debating both sides of this exact issue. Some want the default one way, some the other so now you can set it yourself. This was just implemented last month.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: hughrheinsohn

Wrong. Sorry.

First, all of us including me have screwed up in saving stuff. Hell, I've even wiped out the wrong vocal track because my eyes were going crosseyed and I wasn't paying attention either. Luckily I had the vocal saved as it's own wav file so I was able to import it back in but that was a bonehead move on my part because I still lost a bunch of current edits I had just done.

Consider this: You've spent 5 hours with Biab testing out different styles, different RT's whatever then decide to move it to RB. You save it to the default .SEQ. What did you just do? YOU JUST WIPED OUT THE BIAB FILE. IT'S GONE.

And as already mentioned RB will open a SGU file but Biab will NOT open an SEQ file so it's gone, baby.

There are many reasons I won't go into here why you would want to keep that Biab file as well as the new SEQ.

All I can say in a friendly way is pay attention, read the manual and stop with the ranting about "incredible poor design" and all that. DAW's are complicated and the manuals are hundreds of pages because everybody wants every possible choice there is for everything.

This is simply one of many choices you need to pay attention to. There's a multipage thread from last summer debating both sides of this exact issue. Some want the default one way, some the other so now you can set it yourself. This was just implemented last month.

Bob

Yes... Absolutely. I have done that very thing. Needed to go back to BB to make some edits to structure... and could not find the file and had to rebuild it from scratch since I saved it as SEQ.

Yes... save it in BB but then create a new SEQ file in RB using the save as so you have both versions.

And yeah... I also, have deleted the wrong audio track more than once. As you get to know your DAW and how it works, and where it saves things that you delete.... nothing is ever really deleted in a DAW unless you really know how to remove the file....but yeah it's still a pain to recover those mistaken deletes.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/13/17 02:33 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Hugh Heinsohn, I suggest you check a RB subfolder RBBackup located in your RealBand folder. Files there are saved as .bks - so you could alternately do a search for *.bks to locate files.

.bks files are backup project files. I occasionally go there to delete old project backups because some of the backups are very large and I free up disk space.

I'm not sure at what point a .bks file originates, but there is the chance you may have a backup if there is an autosave feature in RB.

Here is what HELP says about backups:
When the "Create backup file when overwriting a SEQ file" setting is enabled in the File preferences, RealBand will always create a backup file (BKS file) when a .SEQ file is overwritten.

Use this command to open a backup file with a previous version of a .SEQ file.
File - Open Special - Open Backup File

Good luck.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/13/17 02:59 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The 'Backup file' option requires that he had saved once as a SEQ file, which apparently he didn't (since it is not the default and often misunderstood).

As far as the which is better argument goes; if RB saves as a SEQ file natively your BiaB is not totally lost .. even if you had done work on it. Open the SEQ file in RB and Save As a sgu .. whatever info RB has that CAN be put into sgu will be.
If it can't save certain data, I don't think you could have saved it back to BiaB in the first place.

There is really only one way data can be 'totally lost' here and that is when SEQ is not the default.
If I save a BB file as an SEQ file in RB I have a lot better chance of salvaging the SGU later (from the SEQ) than ever recovering the SEQ (from the sgu) file if it goes the other way.

/edit
Why would you ever want to go back to BiaB after moving things to RB?
that's a really rare occasion here

Last edited by rharv; 01/13/17 03:44 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Been there , done that ...

When I HAVE to save as .SGU from RB i started to add a "_RB" suffix to the filename. That way I know where it came from....

(Works for simple old me)

I realise it creates a "duplicate" but at least I know I still have the original...

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Nothing wrong with that approach. I do something similar. Provides a method to go back if ever required.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
SGU files take up very little disc space, so having multiples isn't that big a deal, space-wise.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
SGU files take up very little disc space, so having multiples isn't that big a deal, space-wise.

Good point made by John. The SGU, MGU etc file is essentially a pre-programmed template pattern of the required song content. The actually audio data is of course in the RealTracks and RealDrums that are referenced by the pattern. The storage space of the BiaB files is therefore very small compared to the audio output that it produces.

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The warning message could definitely be better. We will change that, and perhaps it should be a message that you need to click OK on.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I have learned from experience.

Open a file in RealBand or PowerTracks that I want to save, then save it right away as a SEQ file (look at the file type when saving).

Once a SEQ file, it will always save as a SEQ file unless you tell it to save as something else.

If you want to save anything on a track; anything to do with effects; any audio content that you want to work with later, save it as a SEQ file.

It's great that you can save certain parts of your SEQ file as a different format, but only the SEQ file will give you everything. Start there, and you should have no problem with losing any content upon re-opening the file. Oh, and save often.

To me, SEQ file = RealBand/Powertracks. The other formats are just capabilities within for when you need it (save to a MIDI, which will only give you the MIDI data; save to SGU/MGU, which will give you the chords and style, along with maybe a melody track, but little else; save to WAV will only give you a single WAV file that can't be split out again).

Oh, and did I say, save often! smile

John

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
The warning message could definitely be better. We will change that, and perhaps it should be a message that you need to click OK on.

Andrew,

Changing the message wording and adding an "OK" acknowledgement would be a big help.

Thanks for offering.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Thanks you may have answered my question. When trying to save as SGU or MGU I crash and get an I/O error. Saving as SEQ is fine.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
RealBand
J
PG Music Developer
PG Music Developer
J
The I/O error in BBW2.EXE (when saving to MGU/SGU) should not occur in RealBand 2018. (The error was in BBW2.EXE and not RealBand.exe) Also, RB 2018 will now default to saving as .SEQ unless the checkbox in the File Preferences is manually unchecked. Thanks.

Jeff Yankauer
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195