Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks,

Just wondering what stand alone tuner do you use for your guitar (other than the clip on headstock type)

I have been using this one for last 20 years, same as this one advertised on ebay, Wouldn't mind a second.

|Lock on guitar Tuner

I do a search now and again but very few available in UK and the US ones are usually a good price if I was to pay the cost to ship to here.

I have found it to be a great little tuner and so easy on batteries, usually I just reuse the smoke alarm battery (when it starts beeping in alarm) and get many more months of use out of it in tuner.

Tuner was really expensive 20 years ago £50 probably that equates to $70-80 at the time.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/23/17 08:05 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Rarely need a standalone tuner. Would not recommend Snark. Mine would read bad before the battery warning light said batteries needed replacing. My intellitouch works well. That brand started the clip on tuner market. Mine has worked since I got it in 2003 or so. These days I use the built in tuning function of my amp simulators or a couple different iPhone apps that work great and are free. Apps to check out are nTrack tuner and PitchLab tuners

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm going to weigh in favorably on SNARK for a couple of reasons:

1) Price. They are very inexpensive

2) They're clip-on, so you can use them for acoustic instruments too

3) some of my other tuners only show EBGDAE... which is great for guitar, but useless for other instruments or for special tunings. Snark reports all of the notes

4) some tuners are 'jumpy", meaning when you pluck a string, the display rapidly reports a bunch of different notes, maybe getting confused by harmonics. I've found the Snarks to be pretty stable in that way.

In summary, snark works on all my instruments, and its cheap enough to keep one (or two) in each instrument case. They have an on-off switch and they don't draw much current, so if you remember to turn it off after you tune, the batteries last a long time. They use a common battery that's found everywhere. I absolutely love these little tuners!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mine is a Korg GT-1 dating from around 1992.
Hilarious to find that it is now classed as "Vintage".
Whatever, it still does a good job despite its age.
Just for the fun of it - here is a pic -

Ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 01/23/17 10:12 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have two.

My main one is an old Korg CA-1 chromatic tuner:

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-CA1-Chromatic-Tuner/dp/B002PMHAVS

The other one is a Arion HU 8300 that I have had for about 40 years now.

http://www.studio1525.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=1863

It only works with guitar and bass. Plus you have to push a button to get to the next string! When I was teaching I would bring this to my lessons so my students could use it as it was very simple to use.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use a Boss TU2 tuner. It can plug in to my volume pedal so not in the pedal chain. For my acoustic an Apex AT7.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All certainly beat the pitch pipes.

Don't know about everyone else but sometimes my guitar seems better in tune than other times and that's even after using a tuner.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/23/17 11:56 AM.

Musiclover

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Since 1979: Korg WT-12

I had to have something like this to tune a pedal steel guitar.

Last edited by GHinCH; 01/23/17 12:10 PM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Just to be different...

I've been using a Seiko ST757 for years.

It's fully chromatic, has the facility to change key and to set the tuner's pitch to a particular Hz.

Batteries seem to last forever and it's been as reliable as you might expect from a watch-maker.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have 3 that I use.

I bought a Conn Strobe tuner many years back. I used that tuner through so many different bands. I had it plugged in to the line out of my amp so I could check and fix things in the middle of a song if needed.

One night, we were hosting a music competition at the club where we were the house band. One of the contestants left a cheap tuner backstage and never returned to get it. After a few weeks, I carried it home. It's in one of my guitar cases.

Finally, the POD2 has a built in tuner.

All 3 work exceptionally well.

Music Lover said:
Quote:
Don't know about everyone else but sometimes my guitar seems better in tune than other times and that's even after using a tuner.

You should recheck your tuning because it's likely that one string slipped or never got to pitch properly. When that happens to me, I rework the tuning and always find one string slightly off.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Don't know about everyone else but sometimes my guitar seems better in tune than other times and that's even after using a tuner."

I don't want to tell you something you already know, but are you stretching your strings properly?

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"Don't know about everyone else but sometimes my guitar seems better in tune than other times and that's even after using a tuner."

I don't want to tell you something you already know, but are you stretching your strings properly?

Regards,

Bob

Believe you me Bob they are well stretched because they are never changed too often smile Maybe that's the reason they go out of tune.

On the subject of strings I use Martin custom light, usually three packs for £10 on ebay.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/23/17 10:54 PM.

Musiclover

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm using a Boss TU-80 here, bought it around five years ago to replace a Boss TU-12H that I had had for the previous 20 years. Nice thing about the TU-80 is the batteries last forever, compared to the TU-12H.

When recording I mostly use the tuner built into my S-GEAR amp sim, and before that I used the one built into my Pod XT.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Regards,

Bob

Believe you me Bob they are well stretched because they are never changed too often smile Maybe that's the reason they go out of tune.

On the subject of strings I use Martin custom light, usually three packs for £10 on ebay.

Musiclover

Yep, old strings are harder to keep in tune than new ones. I know this for a fact as most of my guitars have old strings on them!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover

That IS the reason. Tell me if this isn't the case. You tune up and the open strings are perfectly tuned. Then as soon as you start to play, especially up the neck, the chords and notes sound slightly off pitch and out of tune.

If that's what you are experiencing, change the strings. As you play on a set of strings you are pressing them against the frets and with time, the underside of the strings develop grooves. You can actually feel these grooves on the lower strings as you run your finger under the string and up or down the fretboard.

Those dents or grooves change the physics of the string. and therefore the intonation of the string. The string has less mass when it's old and with grooves worn in it than it did when it was new and still perfectly round along it's length. As the mass changes, so does the rate at which it vibrates at a given distance. You hear a slightly off pitch note as a result.

When I was playing for a living, I changed my strings every 2 weeks on average. Now that I don't play for a living, I change the strings only when I think they need it. And if I have a song I'm plugging to a publisher I will invest in new strings before I record because everyone knows 2 facts about new strings....
1. they sound better
2. they inspire you with that sound.

Now, go change your strings.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/24/17 04:34 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yep you're right Herb, as I play up the neck they go of tune, so must try to change them a little more often.

I have an old ES 335 copy which doesn't hold the tuning very well, even though I have put on Grover machine heads and got it setup by a luthier. I have put it down to either the wood in guitar reacting to room temperature or me being a bit heavy handed when playing it without using an amp.

The Martin custom light strings I use on the acoustic are very inexpensive, but don't know if using cheaper strings is a false economy in the long run.

Now for some string changing......Thanks for the Sweetwater link Bob.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/24/17 05:32 AM.

Musiclover

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a bunch of various tuners from over the years in different horn cases, but the one I prefer now is the small clip-on polytuner by TC Electronic.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PolyTuneClip

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I use a Boss TU2 tuner. It can plug in to my volume pedal so not in the pedal chain. For my acoustic an Apex AT7.
Yep, another vote for the TU-2 here. Great for stereo FX chains and all that stuff, too.

Will - PG Music
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As a lowly keyboard player may I add the IOS/Android app Cleartune?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitcount.cleartune&hl=en

I used this to tune my piano and it's really good. Some time ago the bass player on a gig was having a problem with his tuner so I opened the app and handed him my phone. He loved it so much he put it on his phone on the break. The guitarist thought it was pretty cool too. I know you guys can plug directly into the hardware ones so it's silent but still, you can put the phone next to your amp and play quietly. Even in a noisy venue, it works well.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,557
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199