Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Created a song with an older (midi) Style.
Replaced the guitar track with a Real guitar track.
Also adjusted the volume levels.
Rendered the song to WAV.
Listened to the WAV.
It was back to the midi guitar part and the volume levels were also back to the original.
The Real guitar track was gone.
"Merge in Audio Track" was checked.

This is supposed to work, correct?
If so, what did I do wrong?
Thanks.

R
Expert
Expert
R
A few things to check...

Did you replace the guitar part by right clicking on the part and then Adding the RT?

Make sure the Save Settings for volume is check in the Save + (ALT F2) screen.

Which style is it? There is a setting in the Style Maker|Misc screen that keeps the volume at a specified level. Make sure that is not checked.

Make sure when it is Rendering, you see the RT part being generated. At the top of the screen it will show.

R

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Rachel. See below.

Did you replace the guitar part by right clicking on the part and then Adding the RT?

Yes, and it is green for RT.

Make sure the Save Settings for volume is check in the Save + (ALT F2) screen.

Nope, didn't do that, thanks.

Which style is it?

60_STRUM.

There is a setting in the Style Maker|Misc screen that keeps the volume at a specified level. Make sure that is not checked.

But I didn't make the Style. Sorry, don't follow.

Make sure when it is Rendering, you see the RT part being generated. At the top of the screen it will show.

Nope nothing about RT.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ah, did a test Rendering each to a different Track.

And that worked.

Interesting.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
CRAP!!!

The RT is starting a second or two before the others.

I thought this was fixed in an earlier update!?

(I have the latest patch.)

Expert
Expert
Hi Firstbassman

I gave up rendering some time ago and record in real time - what I had and what I rendered were not the same and different each try
It might seem longer but I can assure you that it is far quicker and more accurate when taking all those variable problems into consideration
jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
R
Expert
Expert
R
I just finished Rendering about 200 songs. Not a single one started the RT (RealBass) early. Make sure the RT is within the range. I can't speak for any of the other RTs though.

R

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I gave up rendering some time ago and record in real time - what I had and what I rendered were not the same and different each try

Sorry. What do you mean "record in real time?" Thanks.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I just finished Rendering about 200 songs. Not a single one started the RT (RealBass) early. Make sure the RT is within the range. I can't speak for any of the other RTs though.

Sorry, Rach. What do you mean "within the range?" Thanks.

R
Expert
Expert
R
I'll answer both.

Record in real time is done with the RecAud button or an external program like Audacity. Most soundcards support it. You have to set recording levels which is pretty easy.

Within the range...Each RT has a recommended range which can be found in the Memo section when selecting the RT. For example the Bossa Acoustic Bass has a tempo range of 80-105. If outside of that range, you can have problems. PG fixed the 'early start' of RTs with the last update. The early starts were occurring even within the range but the patch fixed the ones I had.

R

Veteran
Veteran
Firstbassman,

To record in realtime, you will need to set your sound card. On my SoundBlaster, that setting is called "Record what you hear". Right-click on the speaker icon, choose "Recording" then adjust what your sound card is set to record.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Record in real time is done with the RecAud button or an external program like Audacity. Most soundcards support it.

Oh. Yes I do that all the time with a program called Total Recorder. I call that recording streaming audio 'cause it's often used to record from web sites. Anyway . . .

That doesn't help though. That process records everything as one file. With Rendering it can be split into separate tracks.

Quote:

Within the range...Each RT has a recommended range which can be found in the Memo section when selecting the RT. For example the Bossa Acoustic Bass has a tempo range of 80-105. If outside of that range, you can have problems.

Well, I am beyond the bpm range of the RT I'm using but it still sounds ok.
And it does Render when using individual WAVs.
But not when using a single file.

Quote:

PG fixed the 'early start' of RTs with the last update.

As a matter of fact, the "start problem" with Rendering RTs started to happen when Real Tracks first came out. And I was the first one to report it here. And of course the initial reaction from PG was - what, what, what, did you do this, did you do this, etc. Until they finally came back and said, oh yeah, we never tested that. And it was fixed then. Seems to have come back.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello FirstBassman,

The style 60_strum has two strummed guitar parts, an acoustic one on the Guitar track and an electric one on the Strings track. Perhaps you replaced one of those with a RealTracks guitar and left the other one, and the MIDI one is louder in the rendered wave file so you notice it.

If you notice your MIDI tracks are louder relative to the RealTracks in your rendered files, try setting the "Adjust audio track volume" (in the render to wave dialog) to a positive value like 3 or 4 dB.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
FBM, if you are rendering to separate tracks and one track is off a tad bump or slide it back in time, and all should be good.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

The style 60_strum has two strummed guitar parts, an acoustic one on the Guitar track and an electric one on the Strings track. Perhaps you replaced one of those with a RealTracks guitar and left the other one, and the MIDI one is louder in the rendered wave file so you notice it.

If you notice your MIDI tracks are louder relative to the RealTracks in your rendered files, try setting the "Adjust audio track volume" (in the render to wave dialog) to a positive value like 3 or 4 dB.

Andrew, correct there are two midi guitar tracks for that Style ... a strum on "Guitar" and a sort of "accent" on "Strings." I kept the "staccato" on Strings and replaced the strum with a steady acoustic strum that was very close to the bpm I set the song at.

I adjusted the volume so that it was mixed how I wanted it.

So, please remind me, are you saying that the volume at Rendering won't match the volume that I set?

Now that you mention this I recall that I've come across this before and was pretty surprised that the RT volume had to be so drastically adjusted.

(In that previous case it was in the opposite direction. The RT was way too loud. Ring a bell?)

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you are Rendering into separate tracks, you shouldn't get the mix that you had inside BIAB and shouldn't really want that, either. The whole idea of the thing is to have the tracks separate for mixing in a separate multitrack software. At that point, I wouldn't want any of the Volume settings to go along with the track, I'd want a nice clean track that peaked at around the -6dbFS mark or so and then I could adjust the track volumes properly to mix it in the sequencing software.

--Mac

Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Mac,

I agree with you 1,000%.
Unfortunately with the flux of posts the original point(s) have gotten lost.

Here is the original problem:
I wanted a single Rendered file to e-mail to someone so they could hear the song.
When I rendered it, the RT was not included in the WAV file ... it was the original midi ... even though what is heard when played in BiaB is the Real Track.

Thus the title of this thread: "Rendering Didn't Keep It Real."

Make sense now?

As an experiment to try and isolate the problem, I Rendered into the separate tracks ... and the RT was included then. But! it didn't start at the same time as the others.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you did not SAVE the song after invoking the RealTrack, then the Render very likely went ahead and rendered the saved version of the song, which had no RealTrack in it. Just a WASG on my part.

The same reason may account for the RealTrack having a different starting time also, for instance, the saved MIDI version of the file likely has the two bar leadin as part of the file, but the separate RealTrack save may or may not have that since it wasn't saved as part of the song. Not sure.

What I am sure of is that this is more likely an operative error or somesuch and not a bug in the program as many of us have been rendering, exporting tracks, etc. with only the occasional hiccup. And speaking of the occasional hiccup, hey, it happens sometimes. Why, I dunno. But maybe this info will help you sort it out at that end.

--Mac

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Most likely then, you didn't press play after selecting the RealTracks instrument for that track, so the MIDI part was still present on the track. So to prevent it from happening in the future, make sure to play your song in Band-in-a-Box before rendering it to wave.

I suggested increasing the volume of the RealTracks (audio track), since it sounded like you had in fact played the song and were still not hearing the RealTrack. Also it is a useful tip to be able to adjust the volume of the audio parts like that.

If that's not what the problem was, then I'm not sure what it was, but let us know if you are able to duplicate it again...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195