Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: ffreniere
Hello all -

First post for this newbie. I liken working with computers and software to learning to drive an 18-wheel rig: it's cumbersome, it's slow, I'm lumbering, there's a lot of gears to navigate, a lot of mistakes, etc. etc.

So I'm muddling thru Windows BIAB 2016 w/ 2017 upgraded RTs.

I created a song on my laptop (Windows 10), converted it to .mp3 and e-mailed it to my PC (Windows 7) to play on iTunes, but it sounds faint and dull on the PC.

The mp3 version sounds great on the laptop, tho the file is identified as .WAV and not mp3 as I had specified at file conversion. What gives?

Thanks.

The point is: if you are converting at too low of a mbps the conversion process will remove/destroy too much data in order to make the file that small. That's the likely re4ason your are hearing a muddled sound. the original .WAV file contains "all" (we might say) of the data and sounds clear and full. Converting a .WAV file to a .MP3 file removes a certain amount of data, and hopefully not so much that most human ears can tell a significant difference, in order to make the file smaller so we can safe storage space, email it, etc... What we are attempting to explain are ways you can convert the .WAV to .MP3 without going so small that it sounds dull.
BTW, if you right click on the file, it should open a menu, then click "Properties" in that menu you will see the 3 letter file extension which is the file type. Ex; MySong.mp3 or MySong.wav. I say this because if you have a file that is designated .WAV and sound good that's because it is not the converted .mp3 file. Try the conversion again but this time during the save process change the file name to MySongMP3Format. Now look at the line below the file saving dialog;... click on the drop-down arrow at the end of that line and see if that allows you to choose what type of file it will be and/or what the kbps will be. It will be 128kbps, 192kbps, 256kbps, 320kbps, etc. Anything below 128 (for music) will not sound good at all. I think 128 is approximately 10% the size of the original .wav. A removal of 90% of the data while attempting to keep the sonic fidelity. 256 usually sounds good to me and makes my song files small enough to email and store a whole bunch of them.

Would you like to tell us what program you used as your mp3 converter? Or, would you like to try installing Audacity and the LAME codec?

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Beginners Forum
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Hi Tobias -

I'm just using the dropdown on the BIAB program and selecting mp3 there - not using a separate program.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I'm just using the dropdown on the BIAB program and selecting mp3 there - not using a separate program.

Right, but back to my original comment...

BIAB uses the CODECs installed on your Windows system, which by default are limited to 56kbps. That is never going to sound good, except maybe for voice only applications.

In order to get higher bit rates, you need to either install or enable those higher bit rates within Windows. This means installing the ACM version of the CODEC (CODEC means COder/DECoder, by the way). You can install LAME, both as a standalone CODEC, and also using the ACM version (which installs it into the Windows registry). Just make sure you download the correct version and follow the text file instructions carefully.

There is also a registry hack to enable the Fraunhofer CODEC already found in Windows, but you'll have to find that on your own and decide whether to use it or not.

Or, as has been suggested here, just use a different application that uses an external CODEC (most seem to use LAME) to convert your files. The Audacity website, for example, has pretty good instructions on how to enable it within Audacity.

And this is a question that has been asked by many over the years, so you're not the only one.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Doesn't the US patent on mp3 end in a few months?
Can we has native mp3 yet?

To support my statement on the 16kHz ceiling for MP3 ..
"There is no scale factor band 21 (sfb21) for frequencies above approx 16 kHz, forcing the encoder to choose between less accurate representation in band 21 or less efficient storage in all bands below band 21, the latter resulting in wasted bitrate in VBR encoding"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

It's just not there. I see it in spectrum analyzers. Even PGRTA will show it. I have a few MP3 codecs (including a registered Fraunhofer Pro, LAME, etc) and they all do this.

To OP, have you tried converting to wma and see if it sounds any better? That may be a quick way to narrow down the codec.

Last edited by rharv; 02/03/17 02:08 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
If I can has hearing over 16 KHz again, I can has very happy!

Is there anyone on this forum who can hear above that? MP3 strips it out anyway. I can still hear up to 14 KHz though, and I still use the Fraunhofer encoding at 320kbps. It's not CD quality but it's close.

Here's a good, understandable description of hearing and audio compression. http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=High-frequency_content_in_MP3s

This is the first substantive paragraph, which gives a summary:

Why MP3s omit high-frequency content

MP3 encoders typically "lowpass" their input, cutting off the highest frequencies. There are several reasons for this:

Human hearing tends to drop off sharply somewhere between 16 and 20 KHz, usually toward the low end of that range.
The input to the encoder is unlikely to have much, if any, audible, musical (non-noise-like) high-frequency content.
Even if the source does have audible musical content above 16 KHz, preserving it would take away valuable space that could be used by the lower, more important frequency bands.
The MP3 format has difficulty storing content above 16 KHz without sacrificing quality and increasing the bitrate requirements of the lower frequency bands.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Well I know a few years ago I could hear above 16kHz, when I had an extensive hearing test done (it was a job app requirement; I passed this but failed the color test! 84 hues?? from pink to purple you want me to put them in order .. my wife witnessed it and said she'd have probably failed too, but apparently I was way off).
Anyway, I had a small dip just below 15kHz and a larger one at around 5 kHz. I think years of being around saws caused the latter.

I notice this range most on certain instruments. Ride cymbal is the most obvious, but the whole mix can lose 'shine' so that's what made me think of this as a possible cause for the 'dull' sound mentioned in the OP.

If other mp3's on his system sound fine to him, then it is probably a codec issue.. common in PGProducts.

Last edited by rharv; 02/03/17 02:42 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford

BIAB uses the CODECs installed on your Windows system, which by default are limited to 56kbps. That is never going to sound good, except maybe for voice only applications.

I did not know that. Since Sonar didn't come with a converter..... well, it had a 30 day free trial then you could buy the converter..... I never bought the converter and chose to go third party external, so when I started using BB/RB.... I never even considered using the built in..... and since I export to Sonar anyway.......

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Why does mp3 version sound dull...ahem,,,excuse me

That's because the original song sounds dull..

It isn't nothing to do with the format guys.

Wake up listen and hear .

That's the trick.

Do you listen to your fav artist whoever that may be .

And then do a check on things as they seem.

Do you think you are doing well for others on the forum.

C'mon the forum is a joke on the net.

Be real the programme is good and yes there aint anything yet as good ..apart from loops .

And we all know how annoying they can be .

All am saying is you are not doing the programme any good.

Its all over the net about the wee closed shop..who tell each other how good that was.

Try posting your song on another forum.

Stop the killing of this one.

Yknow why I post is because this could be something BIG ...

BUT go on the way you do ..check google
for your forum then you will see what peeps are saying...

unless pg...have doctored google/...well you will never know...

Keep talking them songs guys ...or go listen to other forums were peepes sing.

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: countryjoe
Why does mp3 version sound dull...ahem,,,excuse me

That's because the original song sounds dull..

It isn't nothing to do with the format guys.

Wake up listen and hear

Did you read my first post in this thread on page 1?

www.herbhartley.com

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yes my Friend that is why I posted my point..

Be good...take care ..

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
No Probs also listened to your songs .

They are not bad .as you know. How good would they be.

If you posted to another forum and got good critique.

Or Not but we will never know guitar hacker..is that right..do not want to offend anyone.

My regards

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Ivan?

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Listen to your fav artist on cd then mp3 ..

Simple...even the meerkats get it..

Although the song has got to be half decent ..Hacker...Sung But Not Spoken...

well some are not in that league .

you take care my friend.

You do sound like PAUL MACCA ...

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ivan?...

WELL WHAT DID YOU EXPECT Rharv .

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
too much I guess
welcome back, I'll miss u

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Not much my friend you do real good on this forum.
And keep on But it needs to change,

Good posts bro.

Take care keep posting.

Please

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Please note: countryjoe is a troll, same person posting under multiple forum names. I guess he created this new one "countryjoe" merely to insult people.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394180&#Post394180

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi Tobias -

Well, I and others think you need to convert at a better rate. As jford said, you could install the LAME CODEC into your windows computer system. But, you express being new to computers like learning to drive a 10 gear 18 wheeler. So, my and other's suggestion is to install Audacity then install the LAME CODEC inside the Audacity's MP3 Export Library aka: libraries in the Preferences Menu. Audacity is a very stable and handy program to have and it's easy to learn how to do basic things with it.

Once that's done you will drag-drop your song to BIABs WAV quadrant and convert it to WAV. You will rename and save that .WAV file to you desktop or a folder, either one, on your computer.
Then open Audacity, FILE | OPEN | navigate to your .WAV | double click on it | It will import to Audacity |
Once it's in Audacity; FILE | Export Audio | and that will take you to the Export Audio Dialog. At the bottom will be a long dropdown box with your file name and a long dropdown box with the type of file. All the way to the right; click on the drop down arrow and choose the type of file you want it to become after conversion. Choose "MP3 File". Below that will appear the choices for the bit rate, Choose "Average" and the quality, Choose 256 kbps. Before you click save take a look at where the file will be saved so you can navigate to it (find it) after it's done. Okay, click "SAVE". It will process. Now go find it where you saved it. Right click and look at the properties. Is it an MP3? Now double click on it and see if your media player will play it.

Find a safe version of Audacity here
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Beginners Forum
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Thanks, Tobias: that's the kind of literal instruction I need at this point.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Tobias: that's the kind of literal instruction I need at this point.

I use the free Wavepad. Just get the program from NCH and load it. Then simply open your saved wave file from Wavepad. No need to load the LAME codec. Wavepad is a one stop shop.

WAVEPAD download link

When the free fully open demo time runs out you can simply opt to "Run in demo mode" and it still does everything you need it to do.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/05/17 04:01 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,098
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185