User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Howdy, folks...

Amongst whatever comments and/or critiques anyone may have about this song, I would ask sincerely if any of you could direct me to documentation about how to mix tracks in a recording.

The subject and practice is bewildering to me. In the sequencer, when I increase the instrument track volume, it "clips" the meter, which causes me to correct the volume by lowering it, and that makes the track hard to hear. So, I try techniques such as compression, which increases the volume until it "clips", so again I lower the volume and can't hear the track. I end up going 'round, and 'round, and 'round on that frustrating circuit. And then, I try panning the instruments, but they seem to lose "body" and volume as I pan to the left or right, until, finally, I admit I get irritable with the whole process and "take what I can get."

Hah! Good thing I live alone, huh?! Can't throw things at myself! laugh So, anyone's help would be deeply appreciated.

Any old way, here's the song info:

Style is J!MANCNI.STY (Jazz-Mancni2 - Slow Pop Ballad)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Piano (1), Acoustic Guitar (26), Slow Strings (50),
RealTracks in song: 398:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Paul Sw 140 ('2' only)
RealDrums in Song: JazzBrushes2FeelAtB: a: Brushes, Kick b: Brushes
Soloist is #490, Sax, Alto, Jazz Ballad Sw 085, courtesy of Mr. P. J. Perry.

I used a Miroslav Phlharmonik patch for the tremolo strings, Edirol Orchestral for the slow strings section; a steel guitar patch from Edirol Super Quartet and an upright piano patch from Kontakt 4/Vir2 Instruments. The melody was originally patched to a bandeneon from Edirol VSC to lend a "French" sound, or feel, to the song.

The vocal track was provided by a singer named Courtney Grace who I found on the Web. I e-mailed to her an mp3 of the song, she recorded it herself...and "nailed it" the first time around. You can check out her songwriting and performance artistry at http://courtneygracemusic.com/

Thank you for reading this and listening to the song!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1321235&content=music

Sincerely,

"bluage"

-------------------------------------------------------

VERSE ONE

How do you know when someone loves you?
How should the words sound when you hear them?
And though you feel like falling
It’s such a long way down…

VERSE TWO

Because he tells you that he needs you
Is that what makes a friend, a lover?
Things happen, oh, so, swiftly
No time for answers to, questions you’ll never ask him…

BRIDGE

He sends you flowers
He holds the door
And when you’re dancing
You own the floor

Why break the spell?
You know him well
Yet, doubts still linger

Is he enough?
If times get tough
Will romance fade?

VERSE THREE

How do you know when someone loves you?
How should the words sound when you hear them?
And though you feel like falling
It’s such a long way down…

VERSE FOUR

Because he tells you that he needs you
Is that what makes a friend, a lover?
Things happen, oh, so swiftly
No time for answers to, questions you’ll never ask him…

Last edited by bluage; 01/27/17 10:56 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This was an excellent backtrack and the vocal was excellent. Perfect voice for the song.

Mixing is an art unto itself. Getting the volume levels under control. I have found grouping the tracks i.e. backtracks and separate track for the ones I create allows me to balance the final mix. I found the tutorials for Reaper helpful with this..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Excellent song and Courtney Grace is an excellent vocalist. Very enjoyable.

This mix sounds pretty nice to me.

Advice. Remember the vocal is always the king (most important and prominent track). Everything else is there to support the vocal.

Instead of turning up a track, listen closely to what may be covering the track. Turn other tracks down just a bit rather than raising volumes. Alternately, if two tracks (instruments) are competing for the same audio frequencies, reducing those frequencies with an equalizer for one instrument makes room for the other. Panning instruments also helps create space.

There are many resources for mixing available online and through YouTube and many are free. You can also search about and find out a lot through your own research. But I recommend purchase of the mixing courses by David Wills of Proaudiodvds. Check out some of his sample video clips on YouTube. He is a very experienced and capable teacher. Be aware that he has courses for live sound as well as recording sound. You will need to be sure you are looking at the recording sound course. He has a very engaging style and it's as if he is sitting in the room with you showing you mixing step by step, one on one.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/28/17 03:38 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loren,

For all the "issues" that you describe, I was expecting...who knows....

This is really nice!

A beautifully written song. And a gorgeous vocal. Courtney does, indeed, nail that...

Your mix is quite good. Certainly not lacking in volume (as I listen - compared to the level I listen to others)... a hair lower, maybe, but not much. The panning, too, seems good. Good levels on the drums, bass and piano. And strings when they come in. The vocal is very well mixed (and processed - did you get that dry?)

I would suggest that the Showcase is the wrong place if you want a "lively" discussion about mixing and panning. There are many of the forum folks - with a wide range of experience - that do not pay much attention to the Showcase.

If you start a thread in the "Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production" with an appropriate title ("Mixing and Panning Help?" - something like that...) - I'm sure you would get a wild ride of a discussion...for that matter, you might want to start two different threads - one on mixing, one on panning (there have not been a lot of threads dedicated to panning).

It would help to know what DAW you are using (mention that in the new thread). At first glance, it seems like your output volume is simple set too low (as you listen on your system) - perhaps there is a setting you are overlooking (those with the same DAW could address that)... And link to the song! (or this thread) so folks have a reference (AND get to hear this!)

This is a terrific listen. I hope we get to hear much more!

floyd

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Sounds great to me!! Beautiful song, beautiful vocal. This would be great in a film. I love this style and your vocalist is magical. GREAT STUFF!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Good morning, "Scott C"...

Thank you for your comments, sir!

And now, humbly, I am about to reveal my profound ignorance of technical terms related to audio: what is a "backtrack?"

It's okay to laugh, 'cuz I'm laughing at myself!

Gratefully,

"bluage"

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, "Charlie Fogle"...

"Turn other tracks down just a bit rather than raising volumes." That makes a whole lotta sense to me. In the wake of reading your advice, I realize now that I was pitting one track's volume against the other:

"I'm the piano! I got 88 keys, and I have a right to be heard above all else!"
"Oh, yeah? Well, I'm the acoustic bass, bub, and if you can't hear me, you're lost!!!" And so on...

Okay. The vocal is king (or, queen, depending on the singer's sex!) I think what complicated things for me on this song is that it was the first time I worked with a vocal track, and it seemed to diminish the volume of the instrumental tracks.

I will go to YouTube and check out Mr. Wills' videos. Afterwards, if I have any questions, may I come back here to the forum and consult with you?

Thank you very much for the time you took to listen to the song and post such comprehensive notes for me.

Sincerely,

"bluage"

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
"Greg Johnson"...

It's interesting that you felt the song "would be great in a film" because that's exactly what I told Ms. Grace after I heard her vocal track for the first time. Now, I guess I gotta get busy and write a screenplay for it! smile

Thank you, sir, for giving the song a listen.

Sincerely,

"bluage"

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Good afternoon, Mr. Jane...

First of all, please allow me to express my heartfelt thanks for your comprehensive feedback on the production issues I described. It inspired me to come up with a new translation of the Band-in-a-Box acronym, "BIAB": "Brother, It's All Better (now!)"

I followed your instructions and posted the thread you advised me to do in the "Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production" forum under the title, "Mixing and panning help".

Also, I'm equally grateful for your kind words about the song, and also regarding Ms. Grace's vocal track.

I wish you (and all the other respondents) well!

Truly,

Loren / a.k.a. "bluage"

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
bluage, your track sounds pretty good to me. I didn't hear much of a volume drop. And that vocal was wonderful! A video series I found on YouTube called "Produce Like A Pro" might be very helpful to you. I have found for my tracks that using a limiter in the master stereo track really helps increase volume without clipping the track. But it needs to be last in the chain of effects. But everyone has their own approach. Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bluage
Nice song -very sultry sound with a nice instrumental bed.
Given the excellent advice already given I won't go into the mix (for what it would be worth).

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, bluage

Very nice song with beautiful melody.
Courtney Grace is an excellent vocalist.
I entirely agree with Charlie.
I also think the vocal is always the king (most important and prominent track). Everything else is there to support the vocal.
About panning I think each person has his own opinion and his own favorite, though the orchestral instruments is better on the same positions as real orchestra.
About the total sound pressure level, it may be a best way to use a maximizer like Slate Digital FG-X, etc.
Adjust RMS level between -10.0db to -8.0db and you will get clean tone and enough sound pressure level.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, there, "Torrey Bliss"...

After receiving all the technical advice I asked for, I realize that I'm going to have to commit to studying music production techniques. I humbly admit that I've focused more on learning music theory so I could compose songs that are more interesting melodically and harmonically. When it comes to music production, my attitude was, "Well, I'll let someone else with more knowledge and experience deal with that."

Nonetheless, it was nice of you to listen to the song! And thanks for hipping me to the YouTube resource, which I will visit.

Thank you for your feedback!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, Shigeki!

Your post had me running to the Web to familiarize myself with the things you mentioned concerning mixing and panning: "maximizer", "RMS", and more. But that's a good thing!

Regarding orchestral instruments placement in the mix, before I mixed my tracks I did consult some diagrams I found on the Web to learn how to approximate the spatial arrangement of instruments, so your advice was right on!

Your comments on the song and the vocalist are greatly appreciated and encouraging.

Thanks, Shigeki!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
'ello, "PeterF"...

So much of what I and others like yourself appreciate about the songs we create using Band-in-a-Box, comes from Band-in-a-Box, that I feel I should cite BIAB as my co-writer in my song credits! smile Actually, I do mention my usage of BIAB where I post my songs on the Web.

"Sultry" is an interesting word. Looking it up on the Web returned the following definitions: "hot with passion or anger," and "exciting or capable of exciting strong sexual desire." Yikes! smile I think the vocalist, Courtney Grace, was responsible for that!

Thank you, sir, for taking the time to listen to the song, and feeding back to me about it!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The song sounds really good...very nice vocal and arrangement. Since you received a LOT of good mix info all we will add is to consider using a reference song. Meaning as you mix listen to a song which you like and is of the same genre. Adjust the volume levels to be the same and listen back and forth. Let your ears tell you how your pans, effects, etc. sound relative to the reference.

Nice listen as is!!

J&B

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
How do, "Janice & Bud"!

Your advice about using a "reference song” is so simple and sensible that it seems like "genius", which as far as definitions go, I interpret primarily as the ability to see things in places where no one else was looking smile. I mean, really, you two, that's some hugely useful advice.

The only problem is, there are so many songs that could function well as "references" that, now, I can't make up my cotton-pickin' mind frown!

Actually, three specific songs come to mind: Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller's 1969 hit sung by Peggy Lee, "Is That All There Is?", Francis Lai's theme for the 1966 film, "A Man and A Woman", and Gene Raskin's "Those Were The Days", sung by Mary Hopkin in 1968.

Don't tell me, I already know! In terms of songwriting and music production expertise, I am aiming so high that if I was on a ladder, I would fall so fast, and so hard, that when I hit the ground I'd just keep going 'til I shot out of the other side of the planet. Wheeeeee!

I can see the headline, now: “Composer Tunnels Through Earth After Fall From Rickety Ladder, Writes Hit Song About The Experience: ‘Down -- and Really Dirty’.

But, seriously, folks, as "How Do You Know..." gave birth out of a seed, branched out of my mind and heart, and grew musical and lyrical leaves, those three songs were the ones that kept on knocking at my muse's door. I cannot tell you why. They just did, not that I was attempting consciously to emulate, imitate, or copy them, but there just was something about them -- the feel, the sound, the mood -- yes, the mood, especially -- that loomed over me and chased away everything else.

Anyway, as I said, your suggestion is immediately applicable to the end I am seeking, and could mesh nicely, even, with all the other generous and comprehensive advice I've received in response to the thread that Floyd Jane advised me to start in the forum, “Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production.”

Janice & Bud, thank you so much! I wish you and the rest were my next-door neighbors -- so I could steal your songs.

Truly,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Cool jazz... like it

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, Mr. Kayne...

We haven't met "on-forum" before, but thank you for listening to the song and leaving a "cool" comment about it.

I noticed that your "handle" indicated you're an "apprentice" like me -- although since I posted a call for help with mixing recordings, I feel more like a "newbie"!

What genres of music do you enjoy composing music in?

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,565
Posts734,461
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191