#394238 02/04/17 04:58 AM
RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
The VST plugin feature in RB/BIAB has a long history of either not being available (early 2000's) or not being able to sync (until recently). In RB 2017 I was hoping that all issues had been resolved and that I would not not have to use another DAW. However it is still a long winded process to activate the plugins, RB has a high probability of crashing and other fundamanetal aspects like automatic window sizing to match the plugin seems non-existent (Guitar Rig 5, S-Gear) . I have just found that when using the latest S-Gear (Scuffham Amp Sim)the plugin screen blanks out if you change a preset??

Is there any advice please? - my system is a simple 64bit Win 10 i5 quad core laptop, 8 gig RAM, M-Audio Fast Track Pro (latest ASIO driver)with JBridge (BIAB version sold with BIAB 2017). All VST plugins, IR's and cabinets work in Reaper, Cubase and the demo of Mixcraft and Studio One but not in RB. If RB "dislikes" the plugin everything either freezes or crashes.

I cannot figure what I am doing wrong but the RB VST instrument feature for audio recording with input monitoring seems erratic and unstable? Is the situation such that there is no other alterantive but to use another DAW?
Regards.

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"In RB 2017 I was hoping that all issues had been resolved and that I would not not have to use another DAW."
Me too, I have been waiting years for that to happen but I'm not sure it will, though I still hope.
If you have Reaper you might be better to use the ReWireVST
and use RealBand just to generate the tracks, sections or multiriffs you need, this way Reaper will take all the load and won't crash.

ReWire RealBand/PT

ReWire should be implemented soon in BB/RB hopefully.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: royj
The VST plugin feature in RB/BIAB has a long history of either not being available (early 2000's) or not being able to sync (until recently).

If you're talking about RB tempo syncing with a plugin you're correct, that was just added recently but now it works so what's the problem? You're complaining because it took so long?

Quote:
...it is still a long winded process to activate the plugins

In the plugin window you click "Select VST". This is long winded? Pretty simple to me.

Quote:
RB has a high probability of crashing

If it crashes there's something not set up correctly. There have been some long and detailed threads where the user was willing to dig into everything step by step, he posted screenshots when asked and they all wind up the same place. He didn't check or activate something that should be checked.

Quote:
automatic window sizing to match the plugin seems non-existent

The problem that lots of us have complained about for years is PG keeps that VST selection window open at the top which pushes the main plug window down. However you can hit the full screen thingy in the upper right and then scroll down to see your full plug in window. Clunky I know but it works.

Quote:
I have just found that when using the latest S-Gear (Scuffham Amp Sim)the plugin screen blanks out if you change a preset??

Can't comment on this one.

Quote:
If RB "dislikes" the plugin everything either freezes or crashes.

If you don't have it set up correctly then crashes can occur.

Quote:
I cannot figure what I am doing wrong but the RB VST instrument feature for audio recording with input monitoring seems erratic and unstable?

I spent several sessions with my sister laying down vocals and the IM worked perfect. Same with me playing my keyboards. You need to use ASIO and have ASIO Always On and Input Monitoring checked in your Audio window.

RB certainly isn't perfect but the only real issue in your list is the screen blanking with your amp sim. I have no idea about that one.

If you think Reaper or Studio One has more and better features that's fair enough and I agree with you. All I'm commenting on is Real Band works fine as it is. Can it be improved oh yeah, absolutely and Pipeline and others have been pointing things out and important changes are coming like Rewire. Peter said around Christmas that this would be implemented early this year.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Members of this forum who have spent many years using (and paying hard earned $$) anually or every six months for BIAB/RB have the fortunate opportunity to voice frustrations as well as praises, tips and tricks, advice etc as the case may be. For a veteran member to belittle another memeber's post which expresses frustration, is unbecoming of the PG music culture and the style of this forum.

If I wanted to "hit the full screen thingy" on the "chunky feature which works" I would not have written the post. If you consider everyone to be idiots and the fault is because the members "system is not set up properly" then rather add value to the post by explaining how to set a system up properly to work with (reputable) 3rd party softtare (that you do not seemingly have or know).

A company suppling products globally who claim a feature is included in a sofware package needs to ensure that it functions as marketed and that is compatible with everyday 3rd party sofware. Can you imagine being someone spending several hundred $$ on the audiophile version to find a very straightford feature you want to use is "clunky" with non PG plugins? I dont think you would be a happy camper?

Please avoid being so defensive about PG Music? - BIAB/RB is unique and fantastic software - but I have a right to enquire about a feature and ask for advice without a another member voicing a personal opinion on the forum by stating that RealBand "is fine as it is".

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I understand your frustration and agree with your assessment RealBand crashes too easily when you try to perform certain tasks.

I do believe though that the software is more stable now than it has been in the past. I also strongly believe PG Music is dedicated to delivering more stable products. However, I also believe PG Music can't deliver unless we, the product users, help by providing useful crash report information.

Every time RealBand (or Band-in-a-Box) crashes a crash report is automatically generated. The crash report details what module failed, what modules were in use and information about your computer and operating system. There is also a place for the user to report what you were doing when the crash occurred. I think the user information is essential to let PG Music recreate the failure.

I can't say what percentage of crash reports PG Music receives has user provided information but I can say I try to provide the kind of information PG Music can use to recreate, identify and fix the underlying issue. More often than not I've received a reply that the issue was or was not identified.

I've seen an issue of the screen going blank. It did not generate a crash report though. In my instance the blank spots would come back on as you move the mouse over the empty spots. I took some screenshots and emailed the information to PG Music support and they were able to recreate the issue. Hopefully, they will have it fixed in a future update.

As I said in the beginning, I understand and feel your frustration but ... it is getting better!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thnak you for the constructive advice Jim. How is such a report generated or is there a BIAB web page that provides the information?
Regards.

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes, I have been using RealBand for 400 years, well seems like it, and yes it is clunky and a crasher.
That's why I asked here http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=393614 to find a better way to do things as RealBand has worn me out over the years.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Royj first of all we're all friends here, we're just trying to help each other out.

How about this.

You post a specific example of a crash or other problem along with EXACTLY how your entire system is set up including all the appropriate config window screenshots and we check it out? I suggest you do this like a beta tester would and that is make it crash at least three times after doing the exact same thing. Simply saying you are having these problems gives us nothing to work with.

If you don't know how to take a screenshot and post it all you do is hit Printscreen on your keyboard. I use OneDrive which is already part of Win 10 and Printscreen automatically goes there. Then when you hit the Reply button in this thread, click File Manager, that opens a window. There you'll see Add File with a Browse button. Click Browse and navigate to wherever you stored the Printscreen, click it and hit the Add File button. That puts the link in your reply and you hit Submit. In my case since I've done this before the system remembers where OneDrive is so as soon as I hit the browse button the directory opens, there's my latest Printscreen and that's it.

Rather than argue with me about this post the details of your crash problem and we'll fix it. Or not. Maybe you've uncovered a bug, in that case PG wants to know about it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: royj
Thank you for the constructive advice Jim. How is such a report generated or is there a BIAB web page that provides the information?
Regards.

Royi,

Crash reports are automatically generated in both Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) and RealBand (RB). Both programs have had automatic crash report capability starting with the 2015 editions (I think but I could be wrong and many times I am wrong!). The report appears in a pop-up window with SEND / DON'T SEND choices at the bottom of the pop up page. Close to the top of the pop-up window is the space with a "insert user comments here" type of placeholder message.

When you use the SEND button, pop-up window text is written to an email that is sent to PG Music Support. For this system to work correctly, you must have set up a default mail program on your computer. If you are using GMail, Yahoo or some other type of internet based mail service, the automatic crash report will not work as it relies on Windows automatically opening a mail service installed on the computer.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thank you for this info Jim - I must say that I have not seen such an option but will certainly look out for it - what I find with an audio VSTi crash is that I mostly need to shut down RB via the Task Manager as it hangs. When I restart RB I get the message that it is preferable to re-set all audio settings.

I will certainly try and use this feature you have made me aware of.
Regards, Roy

RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Hi Bob
I appreciate the response and offer. I will spend some time with the problematic plugins and do another set of replications to ensure the issue is repeatable and will post the needed setup info.

Regards, Roy

RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks for this offer Bob - I will certainly test the problematic plugins again, try and replicate the problem and post some plugin and system setup info.
Regards, Roy

RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thank you Pipeline - I have downloaded the demo of Mixbus 3 and will give it a try as it seems different to the "normal" DAW's - or maybe it's just the GUI and workflow. I really like RB and if I can get it running smoothly on my laptop that would be 1st prize!

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Try run your plugins inside IL Minihost http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=368498#Post368498

The Ardour was just a suggestion to PG, as the source code is free and C++ maybe they could modify it to work as RealBand does instead of rewriting RealBand to 64bit for Win & Mac, Ardour is already there.

Did you look at the ReWire link http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=371691#Post371691

RealBand
R
royj Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
The Minihost looks interesting and will also try it. Does the 64bit version work with JBridge?

RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200