Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXsGmFeRqU

Larry

PS do not blow him off too fast (if you don't know anything about him you may want to google him first).

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I tend to say the tone is all in your hands...and for the most part it is.... BUT.... some of the guitars ... the cheap ones.... are really really bad. No amount of hand technique will bail you out of that toneless mess.

I bought a cheap guitar at a yard sale and took it to a gig that night after restringing it. Instant feedback at any thing over 5 on the guitar volume. I sold it that same night to the sound guy for the $20 I gave for it.

But yeah, there are great guitars with no brand name that sound good, play smoothly and are a great deal financially.

MY "Fender Tele" is a MIC version. Way cheaper than a MIA Fender.

Same goes for amps and other gear. Some old vintage amps made by "off brand" companies, sound really sweet. I've had several that I owned and sold for various reasons, through the years.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/19/17 04:16 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cool video. Thanks Larry. I love cheap guitars! grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, I agree with you. There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive guitars. One can buy very good inexpensive guitars from Rondo Music

http://www.rondomusic.com/ , Guitar Fetish http://www.guitarfetish.com/ and others.

During my years of teaching I saw a lot of cheap guitars from Walmart, K-Mart, etc. From those observations I would say about 20% of those guitars are playable right out of the box while the rest needed work, sometimes at a very high cost, to get it in playable condition. Even then they sounded very tinny.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
During my years of teaching I saw a lot of cheap guitars from Walmart, K-Mart, etc. From those observations I would say about 20% of those guitars are playable right out of the box while the rest needed work, sometimes at a very high cost, to get it in playable condition. Even then they sounded very tinny.

So....it seems it's a roll of the dice unless one has very seasoned knowledge and experience to find a a worthy diamond in the ruff.
I don't think I'd be very good at it.

I bought a tele back in 1979 but I could never afford/justify a Fender back then...probably not now either, for that matter. smile

So...I bought an Ibanez Tele Silver Series (1977 for 275$) from our lead player when our band was regrouping.
I had pickups replaced in 1993 and it's still a damn fine axe to play...it's the one in my avatar.

Anyway....the video was interesting....thanks.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 02/19/17 11:24 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Sears use to purchase their guitars and amplifiers from top of the line off brand manufacturers like Kay, Harmony and Danelectro. You could purchase some really good instruments from Sears in the sixties.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Like Gino I also have an actual 60's ('68) ES-335, except being older than him I actually bought mine new in the 60's grin

However, that vid is making me want to pull trigger on an Epi Limited Edition ES-335 Pro (turns out they are on sale for $379 right now, I can't find them anywhere for $350 but it's now a few years after that video so...) I think I might also put a trapeze on mine as well (my '68 has trapeze) - WTH

Larry

PS Wife will be mad since her birthday is in a few days and all she's getting is a card! wink

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Music Radar recently posted reviews of 35 electric guitars under $500

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/33-of-the-best-budget-electric-guitars-in-the-world-today-586459

Last December I got a new Yamaha Pacifica PAC212VQM for under $400. I have some very nice double humbucker guitars but never had a Stratocaster style guitar. So, I picked up one of these as my first strat style guitar to give it a whirl. I've been playing it almost every day since and compared to my $2,200 USA made Schecter Custom Shop and my post law suit (1984 Matsumoku) Vantage Les Paul I think it's in the same category.
Other than being made in Indonesia I don't see why they couldn't sell these for $900 - $1,200.
I'm not going to do full review right here but I can't see any reason to upgrade or change anything except for I immediately replaced the nut with a Graph Tech TUSQ XL. But that's so I can do pitch bends at the headstock.

BTW, I strongly agree that it's in the fingers. It's not 100% all in the fingers though. You can play with your teeth when your fingers get sore.

Last edited by Tobias; 02/19/17 06:59 PM.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
You can play with your teeth when your fingers get sore.

Now that's dedication! grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Sears use to purchase their guitars and amplifiers from top of the line off brand manufacturers like Kay, Harmony and Danelectro. You could purchase some really good instruments from Sears in the sixties.

I don't, and would not refer to Kay, Harmony, and Danelectro as "top of the line" guitars. Off brand certainly, marginal beginner's guitars*, but no where close to TOTL. I had a Harmony guitar before I purchased my Gibson, so I know first hand about them. Moving from the Harmony to the Gibson, I could not believe how much easier the Gibson was to play and how much better it sounded.

I had a Harmony guitar as a teen. It was the second guitar I owned. The first one was a Woolworth's $25 guitar. After playing with it for a year, I convinced my mom I needed a better guitar and I had my eye on a new shiny Harmony with a $99 price tag in a music store. I got that guitar for my birthday as I recall. While it was better than the Woolworth guitar, a few years later I bought my Gibson SG from a fellow for a couple hundred bucks. Around 1971 or so. The Gibson made the Harmony sound and play like a piece of junk. Seriously, there is no comparison to a good quality, well made guitar like a Gibson or a Fender.

A friend had a solid state Silvertone amp. I believe that was a Sears brand at the time. Like any bunch of kids in the 60's trying to get a "band" together..... we used that amp for the whole band....and PA. 2 channels and 2 inputs on each.... 2 guitars, one bass, and a high impedance mic. We were in high cotton as the saying goes.

* when people ask me to recommend a guitar for their kid who is wanting to learn to play guitar, I always recommend buying a good quality, perhaps a second hand name brand guitar. Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Ovation, Martin, Taylor etc.... I recommend these brands because they are well made and therefore, sound better, are easier to play, and if the kid decides 6 months later it's not his/her thing, the guitar can be resold for the initial investment cost, especially if it was bought at a discount second hand and it's still in good condition.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/20/17 04:11 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That used to be the case, but not anymore. I was shopping for a new 335, so I went to Guitar Satan to check one out. The fretwork, binding, glue, and overall workmanship was horrible. For $3K.

I bought an Ibanez 335 copy for $350. Got it setup by a luthier and it plays like a dream. And, I don't have to insure it! grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I own an Epiphone ES-339 Pro that I got in a trade. A real sweet guitar, well made, and with the coil tapping I can get a variety of great tones. I'm currently thinking of putting a Bigsby on it.

Frank

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd recommend checking out D'Angelico for some really nice copies of some of the classic archtops:

http://dangelicoguitars.com/guitars/

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

* when people ask me to recommend a guitar for their kid who is wanting to learn to play guitar, I always recommend buying a good quality, perhaps a second hand name brand guitar. Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Ovation, Martin, Taylor etc.... I recommend these brands because they are well made and therefore, sound better, are easier to play, and if the kid decides 6 months later it's not his/her thing, the guitar can be resold for the initial investment cost, especially if it was bought at a discount second hand and it's still in good condition.

Your comment is actually the reason I posted that link.

A while back we already had this age old discussion about whether parents (teachers) should buy (recommend) high-end guitars, be they electric or acoustic, or inexpensive (I do NOT mean cheap and crappy) - for a beginner (who may or may not stick with it).

I was, and am, in the "go to store, pawn shop, where ever and see if it felt OK, action wise, and go INEXPENSIVE, maybe even no name." YES, the play-ability NEEDS TO BE determined by an experienced player/teacher (NOT the store sales person) remember that experienced player isn't looking for a shredders's holy grail action set-up anyway (I hope). Why have parents lay down a fortune on a crap shoot (how many homes have/had pianos that never got played?)- besides my experience is most kids have the attention span of gnat.

That aside, how does the above work?

1. Second-hand bargains aside, if a parent can sell a guitar, say 6 months later, for (essentially) the initial investment who's buying them? Who is dumb enough to buy a, now used, $1k or more guitar for an almost new price? I know I wouldn't, would you?

If the asking price is essentially the same as the "go buy it new" price - I may as well "go buy it new" minus all the kid abuse. Unlike Gino's sentiment in that video, I both like that new guitar (and car) smell and I hate playing someone else's broke-in fretboard - LOL.

Also that brings up the whole "if they are getting essentially their initial investment back" where do these other great "bargains" (these great, but inexpensive, second hand guitars) come from?

In last decade or so, with rise of internet, eBay, Music-Go-Round, Amazon, MF, and other places that can instantly check market prices it's not been my experience to walk into ANY pawn shop or second-hand store in the scores states, and many more scores of cities, my job took me to and find much in way of "bargains."

Yes, I still find second-hand bargains but nothing like I use to be able to find before rise of the internet - and savings are sometimes so small on those that I simply OPT for new. And it's not just guitars, its everything: amps, firearms, electronics,...

2. I also have never bought into the logic of buying "brand names" because they are (or might be) easier to play. If ease of playing were the driving concern I would never, ever, start a student on a large box Martin, Taylor, Gibson, or other acoustic with their std. 12's or 13's (I don’t care how low the action)! I'd start them on smaller body Tele's, Strat's, SG's, etc. with ultra low actions, set-up with .08's (and tuned down a half-step)! It don’t get no easier on those poor little fingers!

I'm from the dark ages - I'd start them on inexpensive WIDE NECK classical's with SHEET MUSIC and an big a$$ metronome: WORK THOSE FINGERS and those little underdeveloped brains!

I wonder why I have ZERO students?

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/20/17 12:25 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good points Larry

Yeah, pawnshop prices on junk is pretty high. I'm guessing they count on the uninformed buyer with cash and itchy fingers and dreams of stardom, to buy the junk at inflated prices. Any brand names on the rack, regardless of condition, will be even higher. The days of finding a vintage Fender or Gibson for a few hundred dollars in some dusty pawnshop where the owner doesn't know what he has on his wall are gone.

However, since you know they bought really low, showing some cash and being serious about the deal can often get you a decent bargain. I've never bought from a pawnshop because I didn't want anything I saw on the wall bad enough.

Generally speaking, the brand names are built better and therefore can usually be setup to play smooth as silk. Of course, there are those lemons in the bunch and exceptions to the group. But the owners of the stores aren't stupid and know that the brand names are quality guitars so they jack the prices. And no doubt create stories on the background history..... "this guitar was owned by a friend of a friend of Joe Walsh when he played with the James Gang" and Joe used to play it when they jammed..."

I was asked by many parents through the years to "teach my child to play guitar"... to which I always relied "No. Sorry, I don't teach. You need to enroll them in a guitar teacher's class" Of all the kids I know of that started learning to play, I don't know of a single one who continued much past 6 moths to a year at best. Too many other more "instantly gratifying" things to do as a kid, than to spend the hundreds of solitary hours required to play chords with confidence.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Good video and quite true about the lawsuit era guitars. Living in South Africa where the ZAR to $US is more than 10 to 1 even a good lawsuit can be a rather expensive buy.

As a consolation, some very active instrument exchange pages are active on FB and other forums where (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) GAS can be fed.

As to cheap guitars, it's what they are. These guitars are mostly manufactured en mass and corners are cut to keep cost down which also affects quality.

There are however a few gems out there which are affordable and have some attributes that I like in a guitar, such as the neck and pickup combination. Pickups and pots can be changed out for the desired tone but the neck defines the interpretation to achieve that tone.

I recently acquired a very cheap SX tele for the amazing price of 130$US and was smitten (Love struck) by the neck shape as well as the original pickups. For the past three months it has been my favourite go to electric in favour of my USA Strat and a MIJ Tokai.

Acquiring good affordable (cheap) instruments for beginners are risky as I believe it will end in disappointment once compared to a well set up brand name.
Experience and tonal preference will make such purchases easier and more affordable over time. Alternatively take a skilled guitarist to play before you pay.

My stringy rambling for the day

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: WobblyGstring

I recently acquired a very cheap SX tele for the amazing price of 130$US and was smitten (Love struck) by the neck shape as well as the original pickups. For the past three months it has been my favourite go to electric in favour of my USA Strat and a MIJ Tokai.

This brought a smile to my face. I also have an inexpensive SX Tele that my wife bought me. At the time it was $109 USD. A good friend came over with his $2,500 USD Fender Tele and he told me, and I quote, "I just wasted a $2,400 USD." The sound and play-ability of my SX was as good as his Fender. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

This brought a smile to my face. I also have an inexpensive SX Tele that my wife bought me. At the time it was $109 USD. A good friend came over with his $2,500 USD Fender Tele and he told me, and I quote, "I just wasted a $2,400 USD." The sound and play-ability of my SX was as good as his Fender. YMMV

$2,500 USD for an American Standard Tele???
I just bought a new American Standard tele last year for less than half that, and that's Canadian Dollars too.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 03/07/17 02:28 AM. Reason: typo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I just bought a new American Standard tele last year for less than half that, and that's Canadian Dollars too.

That is what he said. He bought it a number of years ago and it was the top of the line model. I see today it sells for $2,000 on line. I know that he bought it from a local music store as he is totally computer illiterate and he did not have a computer.
He either misspoke or he did in fact pay that much.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

That is what he said. He bought it a number of years ago and it was the top of the line model. I see today it sells for $2,000 on line. I know that he bought it from a local music store as he is totally computer illiterate and he did not have a computer.
He either misspoke or he did in fact pay that much.

Yes, that explains it. The deluxe model is a couple of grades up from the basic "American Standard" which is what I have. I remember now seeing them in the store when I got mine. Special low noise pickups, bindings, some other bells and whistles. A lot of money for a guitar!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,714
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197