Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
I'll help take a little work off of Mr Fogle, if I may.
Under my post is a button labeled Reply.
Don't just click in the text box below and type, make sure to click the Reply button.

On the next screen there is a large box to type a reply in .. below that are the words File Manager. These two words are clickable.
If you click these two words (File Manager) it lets you upload an image (images only) and the uploaded image will show at the bottom of your Post.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
FileMngr.jpg (90.9 KB, 169 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 02/06/17 02:58 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Once Again Loren,

Thanks to rharv for answering your question about how to post an image. Thanks!

I had not heard of the book you found and looked it up. The Billboard book appears to be a good starter book. I like the beginning where there are multiple choices (so you want to be a producer, so you want to record a band, etc.) for want you want to learn. That's a good way to layout a book like that because there are so many different ways to approach home recording.

A similar book is ++ Home Recording for Musicians ++. Even if you don't run across the book, the book website has some great reference guides that are free to download.

Author Mike Senior has two books many people think are among the best available. The books are called Mixing Secrets and Recording Secrets for the small studio. Once again the website for the books contains a wealth of information and links. The website is ++ HERE ++. There is a real good book review ++ HERE ++

For me, it's a lot of fun finding, building and understanding a reference library.

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 02/06/17 04:26 PM. Reason: Added link

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, "rharv"...

I followed your instructions. The baby black jaguar waves his paw in thanks to you for your kind assistance!

Thank you, sir!

Sincerely,

LOREN

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Black jaguar baby.jpg (13.35 KB, 149 downloads)
Last edited by bluage; 02/12/17 09:39 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
Veteran
Veteran
After a while you'll call me Bob like most other members.

You'll learn to reserve rharv for when something's my fault.
wink

Veteran
Veteran
It's all your fault, rharv. grin

Veteran
Veteran
yeah, I know that already

Apprentice
Apprentice
This whole enchilada is pdf'd and in my files! Great stuff!!!!

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
Veteran
Veteran
Considering your level of mixing knowledge, I think your track is brilliant. Has a real Jazz club ambiance.

Looking forward to the re-mix. Remember – with EQ subtractive is always better than additive.

Regards,

Bob

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thought it was a lovely song and especially beautiful moody vocal. Difficult to properly check the mix as I heard it on my iPad. I was not very keen on the sound of the strings when they came in. Too synthetic for the jazzy track. If anything the vocals are too far forward in the mix although I love the sound of the voice. Occasionally the backing dips to almost nothing and obviously at these points the song loses momentum. Maybe more variety in the arrangement with perhaps Instruments coming in and out at appropriate moments. You can sometimes achieve this by volume automation on the individual tracks. This means piano goes up in between vocal and down during and so on. Definitely worth getting the mix right though as I loved the song and the singing. Also very nice sax at the end.

I
Expert
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, folks...

A BIAB user named Floyd Jane directed me to this forum to seek input, feedback, advice, what-have-you, on the posted subject, "Mixing and panning", based on his response to my request for help concerning those two particular production elements as they are heard in my song, "How Do You Know (When Someone Loves You?)".

Here is the link to the webpage the song was posted onto:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1321235&content=music.

I was not entirely satisfied with the mix I created that involved a vocal track and the following instruments: acoustic bass, drums, piano, slow strings, tremolo strings, and a steel guitar, all of them virtual instruments.

Simply put, I experienced some frustration attempting to get the instruments' volumes high enough without "clipping", or losing volume because of subsequent volume corrections I made. Panning seemed to complicate things because it seemed that steering the instruments right or left caused them to lose something -- body, or fullness, is the only way I could describe it -- so that, to my ears, ultimately, everything seemed to be clashing. What I mean is, I felt that none of the instruments were truly "balanced" in relation to the other.

Mr. Jane suggested that I indicate the DAW I used, which is Cakewalk Sonar. I'm grateful to him for his well-considered feedback, and I would be equally grateful to anyone who feels like pitching in their "two cents."

Thank you for reading this!

Most sincerely and respectfully,

"bluage"

Here is some imput/advice from an graduate of music/audio school:

1. Ask yourself what are the most important parts of the song? What parts really need to stand out in the mix, and what parts do you feel that the listen could get by with out really hearing up front and in the spotlight. Listening to the song, I can already tell that the center focus of the song is the singer, with a second focus on the sax solo twoards the end. I do understand that you want every instrument and part to be heard loud and clear but with all the instruments coming loud, what am I really supoose to be listening for?

2. Lower the levels on the tracks- Some DAWs have the option to lower the gain levels on the audio tracks to avoid clipping.

3. Lower the master fader- If you are not able to lower the individual audio trakc gain levels, then lower the master fader volume before rendering the mix

4. Retry panning certin instruments- When your panning an instrument in a DAW, all your doing is your change the placement of where the sound source is coming from within the stereo image which is controled by a pan potentiometer. In the old day before the pan pot, you had the option of either having a track be hard left (9 o'clock), hard center (12 o'clock), or hard right (3 o'clock). Now a days, you can adjust the pan pots as wide or narrow as you want. A nice trick for this is to take a stereo piano track, and only pan one side. It willl give you this effect as if the piano is coming from one speaker when it is actually coming from both speakers. I know panning things can make tacks sound out of place at first, but after a while, you'll start to find that not ever track need to be dead center.

5. Try compression- I don't recommend this when first starting to learn to mix, but if use properly, a little bit of compression can go a long way.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Nice to meet you, "90 db"...

First of all, thank you for listening and offering the approving comment. smile

Know what's most interesting about all the responses I received? Everyone hears the mix differently, and the varieties of advice I've been given could be bewildering...but they're not! Why? 'Cause each piece of advice seems to be based on what each listener prioritizes in the "mix". That means I could choose -- and use -- any of the techniques mentioned specifically and please each of the people who advised me. So, I can't lose, right? smile

Looks like I've accidentally turned-around the old adage that "you can't please all of the people, all of the time"!

Thanks, "90 db". cool

Truly,

LOREN (a.k.a "bluage")

Last edited by bluage; 02/18/17 10:00 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
"funkycornwall"...

...the man with the name that sounds like the title of a (funky, of course) song! "Do the funkycornwall, chil-dren, the funky-funky corn-wall!" cool

"I was not very keen on the sound of the strings when they came in. Too synthetic for the jazzy track."

Partner, neither was I. The strings track was rendered from the oldest virtual instrument library in my possession: Edirol HQ Orchestral Synthesizer by Roland, vintage 2002. The CD ROM's so old, I have to wake it up by slapping rubbing alcohol all over it before I stick it in my PC's disk drive. However, I have other VI libraries that I could experiment with -- Miroslav Philharmonik, SampleTank, Kontakt 4, and Vir2 Instruments.

"Maybe more variety in the arrangement with perhaps instruments coming in and out at appropriate moments. You can sometimes achieve this by volume automation on the individual tracks. This means piano goes up in between vocal and down during and so on."

Agreed. I'm familiar with volume automation, but whenever I've done that, the automated tracks sound like they're on an elevator: "10th floor, ladies and gentlemen. Going up! 1st floor, going down! Watch your step, please..." laugh

Would I compensate for that problem by simultaneously adjusting the other volume-automated track levels in the opposite "direction"?

Thanks for your feedback, "funkycornwall," especially since my post could be considered old by now...

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a "bluage")

Last edited by bluage; 02/18/17 10:02 PM.

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
"guitarhacker"...

I went to your SoundClick webpage and listened (appreciatively, as always!) to "Come and Go," and "In A World Without You." You make me want to compose a "country" tune, but I'm a city bo'! Shall the 'twain ever meet? smile

I think -- I believe -- I'm pretty sure -- that I heard the proof of what you advised: "...you should be able to get practically any track to set well in a mix. It's a matter of getting the vocal track volume up if it was low and weak when you got it. Using some mild compression, and then normalizing the file will help in that regard if it was weak with low internal levels."

What I didn't notice upon studying your initial response to my post, was the term, "normalizing," the definition of which I read as "...the application of a constant amount of gain to an audio recording to bring the average or peak amplitude to a target level (the norm). Because the same amount of gain is applied across the given range, the signal-to-noise ratio and relative dynamics are generally unchanged."

I've seen that function listed in the main menu of my Sony Soundforge Audio Studio software, but never used it. Nonetheless, the definition of its function seemed pretty straightforward, and not too heavy to understand.

In the wake of this mighty revelation, the only question I would ask you, is at what point in the mixing stages would the effect be most usefully applied? To the separate tracks before they're rendered to a single audio file, or only to the finished file?

By the way, as I was listening to my posted song again, I discovered that all the individual instrument tracks that I thought I had panned to aurally distinct positions in the "sound field" to reasonably good effect were coming out of only the left monitor! When I opened it up in my sequencer, I realized that all the instrument tracks rendered by the same virtual instrument library only had a single audio output track. That probably accounts for at least some of the disappointment I experienced upon first listening to the song, wouldn't you say?

You lead. Me follow! smile

Thank you, "guitarhacker",

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Veteran
Veteran
"guitarhacker"...

I think -- I believe -- I'm pretty sure -- that I heard the proof of what you advised: "...you should be able to get practically any track to set well in a mix. ."

What I didn't notice upon studying your initial response to my post, was the term, "normalizing," the definition of which I read as "...the application of a constant amount of gain to an audio recording to bring the average or peak amplitude to a target level (the norm). Because the same amount of gain is applied across the given range, the signal-to-noise ratio and relative dynamics are generally unchanged."

In the wake of this mighty revelation, the only question I would ask you, is at what point in the mixing stages would the effect be most usefully applied? To the separate tracks before they're rendered to a single audio file, or only to the finished file?

So that all may know:

If a track can not be made to fit into a mix properly, it's time to reevaluate that track's purpose in the song. It's not that the track "can't" be made to fit, but the more proper question is, should it be made to fit? Every project I work on has tracks that were planned for the mix but after all was said and done, they never made it into the final mix. Don't ever put something into a mix just because you can.

Normalizing and compression. In a nut shell...... Normalizing raises everything in the mix in a linear manner, by the same exact amount up to a predetermined point which is determined by the highest peak in the song. Compression raise or lowers everything in a mix to a certain average determined by threshold settings and compression levels. Compression can actually change your "finished mix" by brings up soft parts and compressing down the loud ones. Both of these tools are useful when applied properly. I use normalization as one of the last steps in my wave editor. Compression on my projects is generally pretty mildly applied and always in the DAW before I export my final finished wave.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
"guitarhacker"...

Got it!

Thanks,

LOREN

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hey, there, "Islansoul"...

Your "handle" leaves a serene, almost mystical impression. Cool! I hope you will forgive my four-day late response to your comprehensive post. frown

"Ask yourself what are the most important parts of the song? What parts really need to stand out in the mix, and what parts do you feel that the listen could get by with out really hearing up front and in the spotlight."

Wow. You do go straight for jugular, don't you? smile You were right on the money by taking note of the fact that all the instruments were "coming on loud." The only thing I'd ever read about mixing was to adjust track volumes just short of clipping...

Immediately upon reading your post, I went back to the song and did as you instructed: lowered the levels of the tracks, and then did the same thing with the master fader. Voila! It worked!

"I know panning things can make tacks sound out of place at first, but after a while, you'll start to find that not ever track need to be dead center."

Actually, I wasn't trying to push everything dead center. As I manipulated the panning controls, my intent was to "hear" my way through to determining where each instrument's track sounded best in the "stereo image" you mentioned. But as I indicated in my post, to my ears something I can only describe as a diminishment of the "fullness" of the sound, a thinning, seemed to occur in the wake my adjustments. My intuition tells me that maybe I was looking too closely at the graphic representation of the panning controls -- the way the green level light splits into two columns to display the relative increase or decrease of the signal while panning right or left -- instead of listening. What I mean is, perhaps my misdirected attention to the visual display affected the way I was hearing the sound of the instrument(s).

"Islansoul", your advice/instructions were easy to understand, and following them produced immediately pleasing results. Thank you very, very much for taking the time to listen to the song so closely and offer me the benefit of your music/audio experience.

Respectfully,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Veteran
Veteran
.....The only thing I'd ever read about mixing was to adjust track volumes just short of clipping...

as I indicated in my post, to my ears something I can only describe as a diminishment of the "fullness" of the sound, a thinning, seemed to occur in the wake my adjustments. My intuition tells me that maybe I was looking too closely at the graphic representation of the panning controls -- the way the green level light splits into two columns to display the relative increase or decrease of the signal while panning right or left -- instead of listening. What I mean is, perhaps my misdirected attention to the visual display affected the way I was hearing the sound of the instrument(s).

If that's what you've read, you've been reading the wrong books.

Might I suggest an investment in Mike Senior's book called Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio. A number of folks here have this book as do I. Mike starts where your mixing starts and that is with your speakers. I think you will find this to be an excellent book to own.

Regarding "lights" and levels.... yes, volume cures a multitude of woes but it also covers up twice as many problems. You should be mixing at a low volume on halfway decent speakers. Mixing loud makes it sound better, but you're missing the important things. The folks who listen to your mix at a lower level will be disappointed in many cases, by the substandard mix that you missed due to volume.

As mixing engineer.... and that is your job title when you mix your own mixes, it is your job to find the problems in the mix and fix them, not bury them in volume and gagged track faders.

When I mix, I will occasionally look at the meters just to see where I am relatively speaking. I do want to have the meters in the green 99% of the time. I don't live or die by the meters.

If you have nice full tracks, and if you're using Real Tracks, that is rarely an issue, you should be able to have a full sounding mix if all you have is a piano and a vocal. It's actually easier in many respects, to work with a project having just 2 to 4 tracks in it and have it sound good as opposed to having a project with 12 or more tracks and making it sound good. We all fall victim to the "if I have it I need to use it" syndrome and mixing 12+ tracks with that mindset results in a mess of noise and mud.

My latest song has 6 rhythm guitars. A mixture of acoustic and electric. Only 2 of them are at any decent level where they can be heard. The others are 10dB or so down from 0dB in the mix. Barely audible.If I had run all 6 just short of clipping, can you imagine the cacophony of guitar noise that would have been? Same thing is true of the vocals. There were 5 tracks but you can only hear predominately one lead. If you listen carefully, you can hear the others in the background is a few places. There are other tracks that ride with faders pulled all the way down until that track is needed for a few seconds, and then back to the bottom. The B3 organ is one of those.

Mixing is an art. Levels, panning, use of EQ, applying FX, all of it matters and all of it takes time. You're off to a good start. Refine it a bit, learn some new things and you only get better with time and doing.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
"guitarhacker"...

Out of everything you explained in your latest post, the clincher, the show-stopper, the undisputed truth, the answer-to-just-about-everything-concerning-mixing, is expertly contained, in all its glorious simplicity and blue-sky clarity, within the following quote, which I reproduce here in its all-revealing entirety:

"My latest song has 6 rhythm guitars. A mixture of acoustic and electric. Only 2 of them are at any decent level where they can be heard. The others are 10dB or so down from 0dB in the mix. Barely audible.If I had run all 6 just short of clipping, can you imagine the cacophony of guitar noise that would have been? (Yes, I can, and your song would have been titled, "Guitar-zilla"!) Same thing is true of the vocals. There were 5 tracks but you can only hear predominately one lead. If you listen carefully, you can hear the others in the background is a few places. There are other tracks that ride with faders pulled all the way down until that track is needed for a few seconds, and then back to the bottom. The B3 organ is one of those."

That's it!!! With those words you've enabled me to cut off and cast away a troublesome misconception about mixing that was obviously the biggest obstacle to achieving the "balance" that was at the heart of my frustration with the song's tracks. You don't need hear every dang thing in the mix, all of the time.

To be fair, another forum member, “Islansoul,” said as much when he advised, “Ask yourself what are the most important parts of the song? What parts really need to stand out in the mix, and what parts do you feel that the listen could get by with out really hearing up front and in the spotlight.” So, on that point, obviously there is solid agreement…

However, there is one nagging question I have: if, in the sound design of your song, you decided to minimize the volume of certain tracks that you deemed subordinate to the total mix, such as the six acoustic/electric rhythm guitars and the five vocals, why, then, did you include them in the first place? frown

By the way, "guitarhacker," I'm working on another composition to which I applied your instructions about "normalizing," and it worked like gangbusters, partner! I mean, I was blown a-way by how smoothly it rounded out "peaks" and prevented "valleys" from sinking too far down in the mix. I think of it as "sound-shaping."

This forum – “Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production” – has turned out to be one of the most truly educational classrooms I’ve ever attended, minus the squeaky chalkboard, the wads of old chewing gum stuck to the bottoms of the desks, and the sour-puss teacher! smile

As "Ralph Kramden" (Jackie Gleason) used to say to his wife, "Alice" (Audrey Meadows), in the old television series, "The Honeymooners", "guitarhacker," you're the GREATEST!!!

From da' boddum of my heart,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Last edited by bluage; 02/22/17 02:16 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
"guitarhacker"...

However, there is one nagging question I have: if, in the sound design of your song, you decided to minimize the volume of certain tracks that you deemed subordinate to the total mix, such as the six acoustic/electric rhythm guitars and the five vocals, why, then, did you include them in the first place? frown

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

He mentioned this in his same post;
"If you listen carefully, you can hear the others in the background is a few places."
(I think he meant 'in a few places')

They may be 'subordinate' but may also be worth including, many times for effect/enhancement.
Mixing is indeed an art.
They weren't 'cut' but rather handled/added.

As evidence I reference his signature;
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, "rharv" -- oops! I meant, "Bob"! smile

Hearin' ya' loud n' clear, I fear! smile

So, they're there to be heard, but, as the basic wisdom he/you imparted dictates, use 'em, but don't lose 'em, right?

Thanks, "Bob"!

Truly-ooly,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199