Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
When you hover over the play button it tells you that it doesn't regenerate "unless regeneration is required"
What does this really mean because if you load an existing song that is not frozen and press play without making any changes to the song then it always regenerates anyway as shown by the progress bar at the top of the screen. The next time you press play it doesn't regenerate.

I know you can stop regeneration by freezing but what is the point of "unless regeneration is required" when it seems that unfrozen songs always regenerate the first time they are played after loading. This means that if I forget to freeze a good arrangement before saving it is going to change the first time I re-load and play it.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
I think you've answered part of your question by describing the normal behavior of BIAB. The message also refers to the need to regenerate a song each time you change it (except for the MIDI melody or soloist). Change a chord, add a part marker, change the tempo etc. and the song will regenerate even if you click on Play.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think you've answered part of your question by describing the normal behavior of BIAB. The message also refers to the need to regenerate a song each time you change it (except for the MIDI melody or soloist). Change a chord, add a part marker, change the tempo etc. and the song will regenerate even if you click on Play.

Thanks Matt but I don't think this adresses my question.

If it's normal behaviour to regenerate when you load and press play for a song that hasn't been modified in any way then why does the Play button hint say "play song without regenerating unless regeneration is required" There seems to be no way of ever playing a song without regeneration immediately after it is loaded unless it is frozen. I, for one, never realized that and it's important information for the times anyone forgets to freeze their hard won arrangement before saving!

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Tony, you are correct about this: There seems to be no way of ever playing a song without regeneration immediately after it is loaded unless it is frozen. I'm not sure what to say except that it has always been this way since the RealTrack feature was introduced ten years ago. I guess we are just used to it.

There used to be only one Play icon, and it regenerated or not as needed. When they made it two icons (Play, and Gen/Play) with the GUI revision a few years back, I think they were trying to make this clearer and added the tool tip.

I'm sure there is a technical explanation having to do with how a song is loaded. If you look at a song file with and without frozen tracks, you will see that the frozen track song is much larger, because the audio has been saved (apparently).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I always took it to mean that "Unless Regeneration Is Required" meant "if any tracks are not frozen".

The last sentence in the hint seems to reinforce that theory.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-02-22_06-04-16.jpg (36.11 KB, 114 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
I always took it as meaning; If I made any changes to unfrozen tracks it's going to regenerate every unfrozen track. And, if I have not made any changes it's just going to replay the previous arrangement.
So, if I have not made any changes, and I am intending to regenerate for a new arrangement (for different drum rolls, for example), pressing the play button will not get the results I want.
It reminds me to press the regen button and also check what I have frozen.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Using ASIO with tracks frozen or unfrozen mine still takes 4sec to start play by double click chord or spacebar or play button, it takes near as long as Generate/Play button, looking up on the very top left of the window "Generating arrangement... please wait" each time it tries to play.

If it's playing from RAM it should be instant, there should not be any generating going on.

Even with all midi tracks it's the same.

The Mac version of BB is instant !

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB_Generating_WHAT.jpg (31.97 KB, 105 downloads)
Apprentice
Apprentice
My experience is that the song regenerates the first time it is played in a session, but if no changes are made, subsequent plays in the same session do not regenerate and it will start playing a little faster. This is useful in a rehearsal situation.

Jim
Psalm 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is how fast it starts on Mac
Dropbox BBMac_InstantPlay.mp4

This is how slow it starts on Win
Dropbox BBWin_InstantPlay.mp4

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
This is how fast it starts on Mac
Dropbox BBMac_InstantPlay.mp4

This is how slow it starts on Win
Dropbox BBWin_InstantPlay.mp4

Interesting. Does the Mac version have the same settings in Preferences, RealTracks?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
BBMac Prefs
Dropbox MacBB_Prefs.gif

BBMac RT RD Prefs

Full Screen

MacBB_RT_Prefs.gif (698.79 KB, 92 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Are the computer specs almost the same? CPU, ram. etc.

Is anything running in the background in the PC that is not running in the Mac? Anti-stuff?

The BiaB in my Internet computer (Intel 3.20 GHz - 64 bit- 8 gigs of Ram) plays almost as fast as your Mac. Of course I have all of my anti-stuff running in the background.

My off-line music computer (Intel i7-3.40 GHz - 16 gigs of ram) is as fast as your Mac. It has nothing running in the background.

Both machines are running Win 10 Pro.

It would be interesting to see what others are getting.

PS - Pipeline, I am not doubting your test results. I'd like to find out if they are typical or not.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
This is not right Pipeline and I went over this in your other thread about it. I know you're very good with computers and I hesitate to say this but you have overlooked something in your Windows Biab config. 4 seconds for the second Play is ridiculous. Remember the WASAPI thread? I got Biab down to 30ms using MME on Win 10 from hitting Play which while not "instant" is pretty darn fast. ASIO would be around 5-10ms which is probably where your Mac is.

Proof? Who else has this problem?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The Mac is running on an old Win PC i3 3.2GHz 4GIG Ram,
the Win PC's are i5 3.3-3.5GHz 8GIG Ram.

As I said it should be instant if it's playing from RAM.
When ReWire is implemented and BB is a slave, you press play on your DAW there should be no delay start, you want it to follow the DAW instantly, but it's going through some routine, that needs to be bypassed and like just play already ZZZZZZZ.

"Generating arrangement... please wait" no sorry, what arrangement ?
So I think that is going to have to be fixed.

BB_Ram2.jpg (267.75 KB, 75 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It's not using 16GIG of RAM, it's not using 100% CPU

BB_CPU_RAM_Start.gif (232.18 KB, 71 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
RealBand plays when double click on the chord sheet, though it still has the same highlighting bug from 1907 when you double click to play from that chord.

RB_Start.gif (449.69 KB, 104 downloads)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
OK, perhaps, the thread has wandered slightly off course, but this is my take - and it's hypothetical only.

To evaluate, I created a 32 bar song, 3 repeats, using RealTracks (_JazFred.sty).
Saved, but Not generated. File size: 3292 bytes
Generate song and save. File size: 3292 bytes
Freeze tracks and Save, File size: 114656 bytes

The frozen song size of 114656 bytes cannot realistically contain much audio data in such a small file.

So, back to my theory:

RealTracks are made up of multiple sound 'phrases' played by musicians. Each phrase may be multiple bars in length.

When you generate, BiaB uses an algorithm to decide which phrases to 'glue together' to make up the entire song. It doesn't need to remember which phrases it used, because next time you generate, it (usually) produces a different set of phrases.

However, if you freeze the tracks, BiaB needs to store exactly which phrases had been used in the previous generation, so it can glue them together in the correct sequence and therefore repeat the performance, note-for-note.

The extra data in the file is a template of exactly which phrases were used to make up the now frozen song.

So there is still a requirement to select all of the required audio phrases and 'glue them back together', and that takes time.

So playing a song that has been frozen does not guarantee instant playback. Of course, the regeneration is handled in a separate thread, so playback can start once the software has decided that it has enough headway to complete the background generation before running out of buffers, and that's why on slower machines there is an option to turn off "Speed up generation of RealTracks" (incidentally, is this option available on a Mac?)

So I think that the song actually gets 'generated' every time, meaning that the audio phrases still need to be extracted and glued together. Maybe Mac's do this without the separate generate thread?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes the frozen SGU 114656 bytes just contains the position and bars of the ReaTracks/Drums files used, thats why you can fool it and replace the RealTracks folder with the Direct Input and now you will have Direct Input Instruments.
So when you open the SGU hit Play it needs to piece Humpty back together again......... then play.
But once Humpty has been pieced together he sits in Ram. If you look at your the Process in Task Manager you will see the amount used by the RT&RD's, if you add more bars to the song you will see it grow in Ram.
Now double click on a chord the RAM stays the same amount so BB seems to be just snooze then play.

BB_Ram_Used2.gif (1.78 MB, 54 downloads)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
1:
Is "Speed up generation of RealTracks" option available on a Mac?

Quote:
But once Humpty has been pieced together he sits in Ram.

2:
Do you know this absolutely for sure, or is this a presumption? This is not a criticism, just a genuine question that I don't know the absolute answer for. Maybe the generated data is not memory resident?

3:
And even though the song might now be in RAM, what is there to tell BiaB not to replace it, the next time play is pressed? BiaB might not 'remember' "Oh, I've done this before" and create it again from the template.

So many questions, no proven answers.

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Tobias
I always took it as meaning; If I made any changes to unfrozen tracks it's going to regenerate every unfrozen track. And, if I have not made any changes it's just going to replay the previous arrangement.
So, if I have not made any changes, and I am intending to regenerate for a new arrangement (for different drum rolls, for example), pressing the play button will not get the results I want.
It reminds me to press the regen button and also check what I have frozen.

That is what I have always assumed to happen but I think we are both wrong because you can see the song regenerating in the window at the top of the screen when you first load and hit Play with an unfrozen song.

Come on PG! It is your wording that is causing the confusion. Join in the discussion and tell us exactly how frozen/unfrozen/play/generate and play works.

Tony

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195