Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
Great write guys, I really like the arrangement
and overall feel of the song, very nice vocals.

Kenny, as I pointed out above, yeah, the arrangement kind of evolved with time. It started out much different from what it is now, Thanks for listening and commenting.

Quote:
Herb and David,
This is excellent. Loved the guitar work.
Regards,

Bob, always a pleasure to hear from you on the songs. Thank you for the compliment on the guitar work.

Quote:
Did we enjoy that?
Man, this is super! Such a power sound and superb vocals Herb.
It would fit right into a Tarantino movie.

RnAM, A Tarantino movie..... how cool would THAT be? Thank you both for listening.

Quote:
Excellent collaboration David and Herb

Loved the lyrics in this song. Vocal and guitar were excellent.

Scott, lyrics are very important to me. If they can't tell a story and evoke emotions, then that is a song that never sees the light of day. I'm glad you liked what you heard. This was a really fun write. David sent me a really cool idea and the outline so it was almost easy to write this rather quickly.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David,

This song wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for your initial idea, first rough draft verse and outline for the song. Thank you for sending this to me.

This was a fun project, and you were easy to work with on this, with the advice and ideas you provided from start to finish, we crafted this into a pretty cool song.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is a good write.
Imagery is there and the tempo and instrumentation fits the subject and lyrics.
To me....the delivery of this one is reminiscent of Charlie Daniels/Marshall Tucker back in the 70's.

It can be challenging to write convincingly on a subject as personal as this one is.

Well done all around.....good collaboration.

Carry on.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 02/20/17 05:08 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Superb song, and about somthing really worthwhile writing about ... compiments guyz. F

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's hard to add to what's been said. The production has the open sound that the two of us really like. No mud, everything on the sound stage has it's place and works together. The write, the vocals, playing, RT choice are all standout.

Kudos to both of you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First all the compliments and charting is well deserved. They are happening for the simple fact that this is a really cool song all the way around.

I totally agreed with RnAM's comment that this could be in QT movie! It would definitely set a scene!

I have to ask, who came up with the title? Such a great title! I drew me in! I will admit, I figured it would be slightly dark, but it was darker than I thought the song would be. Not a bad thing, but you nailed me with it!

To me, from subject to delivery it has that Neil Young thing going for it. That's saying a lot!

So glad I listened. It was WELL worth it!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 02/21/17 08:01 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I often get confused when I read certain posters who say "it's impossible to get a truly modern country or indie sound" [or whatever] using Band-in-a-Box.

Well, I guess that depends on who's behind the board.

I wanted to comment separately on this.

I agree 100%! It's almost like saying "this guitar can't get a truly modern county sound." lol...ok...

Thanks for pointing this out David!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb / David,

This is a great sound! The song, production and vocals all work so well...

Congrats on an excellent collaboration.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
This is a good write.
Imagery is there and the tempo and instrumentation fits the subject and lyrics.
To me....the delivery of this one is reminiscent of Charlie Daniels/Marshall Tucker back in the 70's.
It can be challenging to write convincingly on a subject as personal as this one is.
Well done all around.....good collaboration.
Carry on.

Chulaivet1966 Thank you. MTB & CDB were among my biggest early influences in country rock.

Quote:

Superb song, and about somthing really worthwhile writing about ... compiments guyz. F

Fiddler2007, we thought the subject was a good one too. Getting the story right was the hard part.

Quote:
It's hard to add to what's been said. The production has the open sound that the two of us really like. No mud, everything on the sound stage has it's place and works together. The write, the vocals, playing, RT choice are all standout.

Kudos to both of you!

Janice & Bud, Thank you both for listening.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
I have to ask, who came up with the title? Such a great title! I drew me in! I will admit, I figured it would be slightly dark, but it was darker than I thought the song would be. Not a bad thing, but you nailed me with it!

HTL: That would be David. When I saw the title and the first verse draft, I knew this would be a dark song. Due to the nature of the subject matter, and knowing some friends who have had loved ones commit suicide after serving in the service, I opted to treat this as delicately as possible while still dealing with a gritty message. At one point, swerving towards the darker side, I had the sound of a revolver closing and hammer cocking in the dead silence at the end.... but took it out for obvious sensitivity reasons.

Quote:
This is a great sound! The song, production and vocals all work so well...

Congrats on an excellent collaboration.

redean: Glad you liked this. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/22/17 04:47 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
"guitarhacker", and Mr. Snyder...

"Whiskey For Breakfast" is a call for confronting squarely a societal problem that hasn't been solved , and a raw and messy one, at that, concerning those who have "fallen" by their own hand. It could be subtitled, "Don't Look The Other Way".

About a year ago, I read an autobiography titled, "Packing Inferno: The Unmaking of A Marine". It was written by Tyler E. Boudreau, a veteran of the Marine Corps Infantry who after twelve years of service in Iraq and elsewhere, left the force and wrote his story. Ten pages from the end of its two-hundred and twenty-three page length, he revealed to me the thing, the heart, the center, the core out of which the phrase "war is hell" is exposed and explained:

"Combat stress is close to my heart. I'm emotionally invested, so I tend to get rankled in discussions about recovery. I get rankled by all the apparent confusion. 'What do you think all this rage is about?' I ask. 'Where do you think the stress comes from?' It doesn't come from the blistering hot days on the parade deck, or the long deployments away from home, or the tough training, or eating too many MRE's. It comes from trauma. It comes from witnessing, and participating in, extreme violence..."

"Violence will always be bad for the soul", he wrote a few pages later. 'Nuff said.

You have got to get this "out there", pronto, gentlemen. There'll be a lot of awkward silence and nervous throat-clearing, a lot of eyes not meeting the gaze of another's eyes, wherever and in whatever space the listeners of your song may occupy, but I believe that's what you would want, what you wrote it for.

Pete, Woody, Dylan, Joan, and others who walked down this path in their songs would encourage you to do the same thing, I'm sure.

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb and David !:))

What a superb tune so
delicately performed and
produced ! I liked everything
about it, melody, performance,
message, singing, playing
and mixing !

Excellent co-operation !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi Herb and David !:))

What a superb tune so
delicately performed and
produced ! I liked everything
about it, melody, performance,
message, singing, playing
and mixing !

Excellent co-operation !

Cheers
Dani

Dani thank you for listening.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
"guitarhacker", and Mr. Snyder...

"Whiskey For Breakfast" is a call for confronting squarely a societal problem that hasn't been solved , and a raw and messy one, at that, concerning those who have "fallen" by their own hand. It could be subtitled, "Don't Look The Other Way".

About a year ago, I read an autobiography titled, "Packing Inferno: The Unmaking of A Marine". It was written by Tyler E. Boudreau, a veteran of the Marine Corps Infantry who after twelve years of service in Iraq and elsewhere, left the force and wrote his story. Ten pages from the end of its two-hundred and twenty-three page length, he revealed to me the thing, the heart, the center, the core out of which the phrase "war is hell" is exposed and explained:

"Combat stress is close to my heart. I'm emotionally invested, so I tend to get rankled in discussions about recovery. I get rankled by all the apparent confusion. 'What do you think all this rage is about?' I ask. 'Where do you think the stress comes from?' It doesn't come from the blistering hot days on the parade deck, or the long deployments away from home, or the tough training, or eating too many MRE's. It comes from trauma. It comes from witnessing, and participating in, extreme violence..."

"Violence will always be bad for the soul", he wrote a few pages later. 'Nuff said.

You have got to get this "out there", pronto, gentlemen. There'll be a lot of awkward silence and nervous throat-clearing, a lot of eyes not meeting the gaze of another's eyes, wherever and in whatever space the listeners of your song may occupy, but I believe that's what you would want, what you wrote it for.

Pete, Woody, Dylan, Joan, and others who walked down this path in their songs would encourage you to do the same thing, I'm sure.

LOREN

Loren, you nailed it on this tune. I don't think this originally started to be a song about this topic, but it kinda turned out that way.

It's a crying shame how badly we treat the patriots who were willing to serve their country while at the same time we give all sort of benefits to those who are here illegally and from countries that hate this country... it's just wrong. Our sons and daughters should ALWAYS come first and get the best care whether it's physical or mental.

As I mentioned previously, I know some vets and their families who have been personally touched by the suicide of a returning war veteran. And trust me when I say it's not just the men who are committing suicide. The one I knew the best, and personally as a little girl who used to go camping with us. Something Shannon saw or was involved in was just too much to deal with and she took her own life with a pistol.

Yes, this issue is long overdue to be addressed.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
"guitarhacker"...

I am deeply sorry that you, personally, have had the experience of losing someone affected by war, directly, or indirectly.

That's all the more reason why "Whiskey For Breakfast" should have a larger audience. I don't know if songs have in the past, or could in the future, change things for the better. But, at the very least, a song could inspire the individuals who listen to it, to think about things he/she/they may have consciously avoided thinking about.

I tend to listen to "User's Showcase" songs without reading the composers' notes about how she/she put the song together. I'd rather read the technical stuff after I listen to a song.

So, I assumed that "Whiskey For Breakfast" would be a humourous song about drinking alcohol. But I knew that assumption was dead-wrong as soon as I heard the music, which was stirring, and had tension in it right from the git-go that signaled something of import was coming down the tracks. The "hook" to the song is its music. The music could be the "coating" on the "pill" (the "message") that calls the listeners' attention to it.

Also, the fact of you saying that you didn't forsee the song developing with the topic that ultimately formed its substance means -- to me, at least -- that your own conscience felt it was time for the issue to be treated in a musical fashion. And if it came out of you, then it could be in the rest of us, just waiting to be "called out" by a song.

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is really excellent! Very strong write. Gotta agree with the Soundclick charts. #1 in my book.

Very important message. I live just outside of San Antonio, and see a lot of disabled vets. They've given so much, and been through so much. PTSD really is a terrible problem. Thanks for writing this and sharing it.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
This is really excellent! Very strong write. Gotta agree with the Soundclick charts. #1 in my book.

Very important message. I live just outside of San Antonio, and see a lot of disabled vets. They've given so much, and been through so much. PTSD really is a terrible problem. Thanks for writing this and sharing it.

Steve

Steve, thank you for listening. As a veteran myself, and knowing quite a few from various eras, it's something that is important to not only those involved closely but all Americans. These men and women should be the first ones we help and they shouldn't have to be begging for help.

Again thanks for your time.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
I
Expert
Expert
I
I wonder how the meaning of whould change if you had change the name of guy from Johnny Reb to someone like Jim Beam or Jonny Walker.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb and David, great collaboration! Powerful lyrics and performance all the way around. Take care, Torrey

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wow this is a really professional write and production. A big 70s style lush song with a great narrative. Difficult to pull off with all the elements in the mix but you did, with elan. Well done!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199