Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been using the free Avast for years but now I need to upgrade to a paid version of something. Without getting too much into the weeds, it's all about identity theft issues regarding tax preparers and their clients. Several seminars I've recently been to talked about this a lot and just now I read an article about the future of CPA firms and it said a big emphasis will be advising clients about ID theft protection and their internal computer security. If we're putting out that kind of advice, I better have my stuff in order.

I'm reading about how some programs like Bitdefender include several good addons that others charge extra for like password managers, secure payment browsers and other things I don't know if I should care about or not. I work at a fairly large CPA firm but that's not what I'm asking about. I also have my own private clients I work with at home and it's my home system I'm looking to protect.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
What does your company use? I'd consider that as a starting point.

Many times, an infection is self inflicted. If it's a business machine, keep off the social sites with it. Of course, you do have clients mostly emailing and sending attachments so you need something that is strong in that area.

My business computer and my studio machine are kept off the net except when absolutely needed.

This one I'm on now is a multi-function machine. I keep my company records and billing on it and use it for limited internet access. I use Windows Security Essentials, Malware bytes, and common sense. I'm not tempted to click on things I see. That's the biggest problem people have.

I read something from one of the security experts on his site. He stated that most if not all infections come from people clicking on things they shouldn't.

Also, get a service such as Carbonite which is an automatic, in the background backup service. When you change a file, it backs you up. If you ever get hit with a bad virus or a cryptolocker, you can simply buy a new computer and reload all your saved data. It also is a life saver when.... not if.... but WHEN, your computer dies. I had a serious computer failure.... I turned it on one morning and it refused to boot. I tried everything I could to get it to boot. Safe mode didn't even work. I went to the store, bought a new computer, reloaded the basic Carbonite software, logged in and literally in a few hours of downloading, my system and business files were all up and running like nothing ever happened.

That's my advice.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
This is the non-commercial, non sponsored site that my computer guy recommends:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

or

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/

You can click your version of Windows and read the tests. What works best for Win 7 may not be best for Win 10 (and so on).

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
At the office we use an offsite IT firm that handles all that. We have a secure server with a hardware firewall, hot swappable HD's for backup and a bunch of other stuff and they monitor it all. I don't have anything to do with any of that but I remember that the Dell server alone cost around 9K a couple of years ago when we finally had to upgrade to Win 7 enterprise.

I'm pretty savvy with all your suggestions Herb and I've been thinking of setting up a second system just for my business clients. Something else I've read about is using a second system as a hardware firewall, maybe that could be better than simply using a second system for business? The idea there is the firewall protects the main computer.

That's a good website Notes, thanks.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
If you are running Malwarebytes version 2, you should upgrade to 3. Runs much faster.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
I've been running Avast free version for a long time. I've had zero issues up until last week. I attempted to record audio from a YouTube video with Audacity. The video played just fine several times and I rewinded part way by dragging the seeker back successfully several times. When I attempted to record it with Audacity the video would lock up as if the internet connection suddenly got slow. Inside the YouTube screen displayed an endless rotating circle and the words "if problem does not resolve restart your device". After several attempts I cleared cookies, restarted, tried it again. Same thing. Played fine. But, once I had Audacity open and ready to record it stalled and same message. Then I tried to play a regular mp3 that is saved on my computer via Windows Media Player and it would not play at all even when I was off line. Cleared, restarted and Windows Media Player works again.
The symptoms duplicated the next day.

Avast free will only do a quick scan. It pretends to do a full scan but the % timer always stays at Zero %.
Thinking Avast misse something, although I don't click on things that I don't trust, I was going to install MalwareBytes and attempt a full scan with that but I'm skeptical about trusting the download due to reading about hackers creating a pseudo Malwarebytes that downloads a virus.

So, can one of you post a good MalwareBytes link here or in a Private Message for me.

Or, do you have any other suggestions? All else seems to work fine but I have not done a full scan of any type for maybe a year or so.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
I always DL from the original programmer's site, is this case:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

You also might want to try these:

http://adwcleaner-download.com/

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/rkill.html

Run in this order: rkill, adwcleaner, your anti-virus then anti-malwarebytes. I have cleaned many computers using this procedure.

You also might want to try this:

http://securitytango.com/

Nick is from our area and the site is still current.

As usual with these type of programs proceed at you own risk. I would suggest making an image backup prior to doing any of the above.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Okay, I ran Avast Free full scan again. What happens is the big screen shows scan in progress but stuck zero percent. I minimized the screen and the smaller screen popped up in the bottom right corner indicating 48% complete. Reopened large screen refreshed it to 48% also. Periodic minimizing and reopening of large screen updates the progress while the small scan monitor seems to show actual progress.
Avast found one think from omnitech PC Diagnosis that came pre-installed when the computer was new in 2012. Apparentlt this company used to contract as tech service for microsoft. After contract expired they cloaked themselves as microsoft tech support even putting chat link pop-ups in front of pseudo microsoft help sites. They were sued by microsoft.
Anyway, I would have had to click on the PC Diagnistics exe file while on line to give them access which I never did. The file had not been touched, as far as I know, since the computer was new.
After research I decided the best action was to remove PC Diagnostics via Add/Remove Programs.
Malwarebytes found 24 potentially unwanted programs which as far as I can tell were all related to Ask toolbar which I do not and never had. A little late night reading about it and I decided to quarantine all 24.

I wonder if my stubborn refusal to upgrade from W 8.1 to W 10 leaves me a bit vulnerable due to any microsoft lack of focus on 8.1 PC users.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I think it could Tobias. Every new iteration of Windows had more robust stuff going on. I've read quite a bit about that and the experts say that's true.

It was Avast that stopped me for half a day from installing the free upgrade to Win 10. I had it disabled but that wasn't good enough. I had to remove it then everything went fine.

Since then I've had zero issues with Win 10. I had no trouble figuring it out, it baffles me when some post then can't do this or that with it. From the way you post you seen pretty good with computers. Trust me, its fine, you'll have no problems.

Bob

Expert
Expert
Update; since full scan of Avast Free and Malwarebytes Free 3 - 4 days ago and the actions take in previous post my computer is super fast at everything.
Thanks to all who gave recommendations.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An update. Two days ago I had a chance to talk to our offsite IT person who handles our network. If anybody wants to know, this is who they are:

http://vanishingclouds.com/

I explained what I'm doing at home and asked him what he thought about the different AV suites.

He said none of them because they're all after-the-fact security meaning new crap comes out all the time and they can't stop it until it's been discovered and they come up with a fix for it. Then he rattled on about browser extensions and a bunch of stuff that made my eyes glaze over.

He asked what OS I'm using and I said Win 10 Pro. He said great, if I was using 7, 8 or even 10 Home he would tell me to upgrade to 10 Pro because Win 10 is far better at security than those are. He also said I should start using Edge exclusively for web browsing for the same reason.

He knows all about IE, FF and Chrome but he's focused on enterprise security and says that's what Microsoft specializes in. For security Edge is better. He's not concerned with download speeds, convenience or different features, just security.

He said to forget all the commercial AV software and go with whitelisting. Sounds complicated but he said it's not that difficult once it's set up. Easy for him to say...He's going to send me some instructions for it and I'll post more on this later.

Whadday'all think?

Bob

Expert
Expert
What is "Edge"? Is it a browser like Internet Explorer? Will it work with Wind Doze 8.1 ?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's the new browser with Win 10. It still uses the big blue E like IE does but it's called Edge and I think it's 10 only.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I've used Edge and it's fast and solid, a good improvement from Internet Explorer. After what was written here, I may go with that over Firefox. Yes, send the info about whitelisting. Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I haven't forgotten about you Matt. I've been in touch with VCI almost every day with different issues in the office (now it's one of the networked printers) and I keep mentioning my question and he keeps saying "I know, sorry been very busy but I'll get it to you soon".

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195