Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
here's an ableton playlist of artists sharing one thing that keeps their creativity flowing

what's your one thing you do with biab\rb that keeps your creativity flowing

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Turn it on.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Turn it on.

Yikes! Keep it G rated Herb! wink

My comment is an example of mine. Looking at things differently; even in BIAB.

Can something be shifted over a half beat and trimmed to make it work?

Or, how would various sounds work into the piece if you reversed them?

Those kinds of things.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 03/07/17 08:02 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
I guess the one thing I do with biab/rb to keep the juices going is I experiment. I'll try all sorts of different styles with a piece I might be working on, or I'll plug in different chords -- often just for the heck of it -- just to see how they sound. I usually have a guitar close by to double check whether it's even an idea worth considering. But in some of the styles I mess around with (jazz mostly), the style will be playing all sorts of altered chords based on what I inputted and they may end up sounding completely differently. So it often pays just to play around with stuff.

The piece I'm working on right now, that's how I arrived at probably close to half of the chord progression I have laid down right now -- just experimentation. If I like the sound of it, I'll stick with it until maybe something better comes along.

Oh, also something else I do religiously -- it's not so much about keeping creativity flowing as it is about preserving continuity, which can be just as important -- especially if my creative flow has led me into a dead end. Every time I make a change to a piece of music I'm working on, I save the changed tune to a new file name. It doesn't have to be totally new. Often I'll just add a digit to the end, like a 1 or 2 or a or b. Just enough where I know this is a change to the one before it. This often results in a long string of versions of the same piece of music, but what its done is catalog all the changes I made to it. And if for some reason I decide I don't like something I've done, I can always go back to that earlier version. Having lost a piece of music that one's working on does major damage to one's creative flow, and I'm speaking from experience here.

Something else I like to do with biab especially is, if I've gotten to the point where I've actually put together a working progression, I'll choose a style I like, and just let it run. I find that the repetition helps me, the way my brain is wired. I'll often get ideas later on, even after I've shut down the music, which often lead to something that later gets added into it.

Last edited by cooltouch; 03/10/17 01:00 PM.
Songwriting
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, "pghboemike"...

I agree VERY strongly with "cooltouch's" advice:

"Every time I make a change to a piece of music I'm working on, I save the changed tune to a new file name."

For me, it's absolutely indispensable in maintaining continuity of creative inspiration.

In other words, I think of BIAB files saved sequentially as building blocks upon which my original idea is developed.

Of course, "guitarhacker" made it plain: "turn it (BIAB) on". With all of the assistive compositional tools BIAB virtually throws in my face upon booting-up, I always end up making inspired progress on a song before I exit the program.

Last, but on a personal level, I get plenty of sleep, am physically active, and avoid controlled substances and alcohol -- the "muse" doesn't appreciate "squatters"! smile

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: bluage

In other words, I think of BIAB files saved sequentially as building blocks upon which my original idea is developed.

Perzackly!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Here are the things that work for me:

1.) I listen to other people's music all the time. Especially the forum, there is some fresh stuff on here. Lots of cool ideas. I like wandering through the weird stuff and alternative on Spotify for ideas but I stay away from mainstream. It gives me a pounding headache.

2.) I open up BIAB (turn it on like Herb says) and study those demos like crazy. There are thousands of wicked chord progressions in there.

3.) I tune my guitar to really weird tunings so I don't get stuck in a rut--and I search for new progressions.

4.) I write a lot on the piano so I don't get stuck in a guitar rut either.

5.) I collaborate with other people and ask them to throw me ideas and snippets. Sometimes all it takes is a phrase to get you going. Herb and I are doing that on a new one right now.

6.) I keep a small hand held digital tape recorder by my bed. The best lyrics always come to me just as I am about to fall asleep or when I am waking up and if I didn't record them immediately they would be lost.

7. Last but not least, I play for fun all the time. I never stop playing. I am always plugging something in somewhere.

I guess that's what Herb means by turn it on. My version was a little longer I know.

smile

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mirroring some of David's comments;

1. Go to live music in my genre. Often, it is hard for me to remain at small venues or house concerts where someone is performing their original songs. Even when I think they kinda suck, ideas begin coming, and not about their songs, not their hooks, completely different melodies, maybe a kernel of a feel of their song that subliminally stirs something in me. I often write snips and lyrics on my phone, but 90% of the time I can't stand it, I do the Irish exit, come home and write and start it before I sleep and lose it.

2. Play a guitar that I have never played before (yours), or play one of mine I rarely play. Songs hide in them. I have a "Writing Guitar" in a closet I only play for that purpose. I can't really "play" piano, but I can goof around on someone else's. Same deal.

3. Experiment with new chords, or chord progressions and just let things flow. Sometimes, if I find a little progression, a bit of lyrics come. Paul McCartney wrote "Yesterday" that way. The progression came...then "Scrambled eggs...how I like your long and silky legs...", and he filled in the gaps later.

4. Write. Write. Just wright what comes out. Gibberish is fine. Something may all of a sudden connect from free flow thought.

5. Go to the library. Book titles are often well crafted, well thought out, and inspirational without touching the cover. "The Bleeding Hearts of San Francisco," "The Day I Ate Your Shoe."

6. Keep all your song ideas and little phrases, forever. I have a running Word document that I just add stuff to. I read it occasionally. It's 20 pages long by now. "Maybe write a waltz with an acapella chorus or bridge...," "Crusty memories of rusty hinges...," "Why Can't I Pee?"

But, I know that "You (I)...cannot win, if you (I) do not play...." Steve Forbert.

IMHO.

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
For me (and also Barry) creativity gets a big boost when we simply get together and plug something in.

Neither of us has a problem coming up with ideas on our own, but when we are both slinging mud at the wall some really cool things tend to happen.

I also like collaborating with others, as mentioned above, especially with people I'd likely never have met otherwise (Limey, Jazzmandan or MusicStudent, TommyC etc) That is gold to me.

And again, as mentioned above by others a couple times; just start playing with various styles, use the Multiriff function and start slicing/dicing, do a bluegrass tune and use grunge drums, or go the other way and try a fiddle in a rock tune .. just 'have fun'

I have to say though, getting 4 or 5 people together and just jamming is the most fun and inspiration for me. That feeling where everybody is looking at each other and 'dialed in' is pretty awesome. Look at how focused the band is on Barry in the picture below (he was giving the clues).

We're still 'in-process' here at the new location, the drums only have 2 mics on them in this picture! That won't last.
We've had some weird weather here recently, and this week electricity in the area was actually pretty scarce, but we'll do it again next week. smile

Someone also mentioned above about McCartney just making up lyrics in the beginning stages. That's common here. Build the groove first and fill in the lyrics after. Just how we roll.
The audio sample below shows just how that works here. This was our first hour into the song and nobody cares what the song is about yet; we're just getting a structure together.
/warning it's pretty much raw audio tracks from that night, nothing rerecorded yet, a work-in-progress very early on so you'll hear mistakes. We're still formulating the song after all. We're old but still having fun.

RB recorded audio from live session -
http://masteringmatters.com/stuff/170304C.WMA

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
20170301_212136b.jpg (176.27 KB, 115 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
We're old but still having fun.

Since when should being older stop anyone having fun? It sure doesn't seem to be impeding you any!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Get on my mountain bike, ride a beautiful trail, get the heart rate up to about 90% max, enter the State of Anaerobia and hopefully await the appearance of the Muse.

J&B

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Get on my mountain bike, ride a beautiful trail, get the heart rate up to about 90% max, enter the State of Anaerobia and hopefully await the appearance of the Muse.

.....or blackout and crash the bike and talk to the muse while you're in a coma. wink

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Definitely not a scenario us mountain bikers like to contemplate...harsh man, harsh.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Just speaking from experience. I had a lot of bike crashes in my youth, luckily none got me to a coma. smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
P
P
try smoking a little medicinal mmj. that always helps me
Also i would say going for a walk or exercising
listening to music that inspires you

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
In a nutshell - experimenting with things that don't appear compatible on first look. You never know. Take any of the tracks included with the BIAB product and click onto "styles". Pick a style at random and then apply it to the BIAB track you selected. It doesn't always work out well, but more than half the time I get something interesting or that can be reworked into a pretty decent song. I posted half a dozen, or so, songs on the showcase forum that started out that way. One of them (Dead End Rendezvous) has become one of my favorite originals.

Just some thoughts, FWIW.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195