Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
There's some really great information in that video. Some of it is a bit off though.

The "essence" of that groove is in those songs, but he made it appear as if that EXACT groove was in those songs. Close, but he is actually missing some notes. Again, the point is still fairly solid. I'm REALLY surprised it took him until now to figure this out!

That groove has been around a few years, and obviously has worked well. I'm not sure if I did, but at one point I was going to ask PG to do some tracks with that groove to help with some of the modern writing.

Another way of looking at it is 11 of the 20 songs don't use that type of groove. wink

Thanks for sharing the video!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
You can always use a midi drum synth

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< That groove has been around a few years, and obviously has worked well. I'm not sure if I did, but at one point I was going to ask PG to do some tracks with that groove to help with some of the modern writing. >>

<< You can always use a midi drum synth >>

or, do what I'm about to do and record the audio from 0.21 - 0.27 from the video where he demonstrates the 'groove' and make it into a loop using Realband.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<< That groove has been around a few years, and obviously has worked well. I'm not sure if I did, but at one point I was going to ask PG to do some tracks with that groove to help with some of the modern writing. >>

<< You can always use a midi drum synth >>

or, do what I'm about to do and record the audio from 0.21 - 0.27 from the video where he demonstrates the 'groove' and make it into a loop using Realband.

now that's funny right there

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
You can always use a midi drum synth

That what I do. I'm a drummer, so I trigger slate from my kit. I would be nice to have a whole "band" set up to compliment that grove with a style was my thought. A selling point for PG if you ask me.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

That IS funny! As with most humor, probably because it's true.

It it's not, you so know it COULD be wink

You're the best Charlie!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
This drum groove IS already available in BIAB.

The new Shannon Forrest "ModCountry16ths" and "PopCountry16ths" from set 262 are exactly this groove.

Upgrade!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

The new Shannon Forrest "ModCountry16ths" and "PopCountry16ths" from set 262 are exactly this groove.

Upgrade!

Awesome! Drums only? Any complimenting groves on other instruments?

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Upgrade!

Awesome! Drums only? Any complimenting groves on other instruments?

That question has a lot of different answers, I think. There seems to be a rush-to-judgment by many (in Off-Topic and Windows BIAB threads) that "BIAB cannot do 'Modern Country'". I do not agree with that assessment. You simply have to use your imagination (I know you have plenty of that!). You have to be able to pick out the elements that make up the modern sound and figure out which RTs to put together to build that (I believe you are better equipped than any of the rest of us to determine that list of pieces). The sync acoustic works well. The banjos work. The new atmospheric steels are a no-brainer. A held electric. An arp electric with some wild delay. A busy, steady bass.

And, of course, there is the question of...do people write in a style that works for that sound? And that is a huge part. You cannot write in the style of your Country and Rock heroes of the 70's and put it to a Modern Country musical bed and expect it to work. So for the large majority of writers in these-here-parts (this forum), it would require adding a writing skill that they currently lack. But that is an entirely different subject (I know you have that skill in spades!)

So... basically... I think the answer to your question is:

They are there if you know what to look for.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The last time I was hip they still called it "Hep"! laugh

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

That question has a lot of different answers, I think. There seems to be a rush-to-judgment by many (in Off-Topic and Windows BIAB threads) that "BIAB cannot do 'Modern Country'". I do not agree with that assessment. You simply have to use your imagination (I know you have plenty of that!). You have to be able to pick out the elements that make up the modern sound and figure out which RTs to put together to build that (I believe you are better equipped than any of the rest of us to determine that list of pieces). The sync acoustic works well. The banjos work. The new atmospheric steels are a no-brainer. A held electric. An arp electric with some wild delay. A busy, steady bass.

I know you know this, but BIAB is ABSOLUTELY capable of doing "modern country." You hit the nail on the head with "how to" for orchestration. I plugged in my upgrade drive tonight and gave it a listen. There is So MUCH great stuff to work with! So much!

Quote:
And, of course, there is the question of...do people write in a style that works for that sound? And that is a huge part. You cannot write in the style of your Country and Rock heroes of the 70's and put it to a Modern Country musical bed and expect it to work. So for the large majority of writers in these-here-parts (this forum), it would require adding a writing skill that they currently lack. But that is an entirely different subject (I know you have that skill in spades!)

I think people fall into a rut of "knowing everything" already. Once we fall into generalizations without really seeing the differences we are stuck.

I love how you have kept your perspective and apply it so well. There isa reason you write at the level you do. Observation.

Quote:
So... basically... I think the answer to your question is:

They are there if you know what to look for.

Agreed! Now, if I could just get my drums to play "modern country." Any suggestions? wink

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Agreed! Now, if I could just get my drums to play "modern country." Any suggestions? wink

Sure!...Here is how to get YOUR drum kit to play Modern Country:

1. Get a computer (small laptop best for this application).
2. Load some type beat generation software (Fruity Loops might be a good choice. I'm not "up" on what might be current - that might make a good thread, though...)
3. Experiment creating beats. A thick synth bass. A snappy hand clap sound. A shaker.
4. Once you find a groove similar to "new country"...
.... set the laptop on top of your snare.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

(snip) 4. Once you find a groove similar to "new country"...
.... set the laptop on top of your snare. smile

FUNNY ... but, oh so true!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I missed a step or did something wrong along the way. I'll break down my process and see if you can see any flaws in my execution.

Sure!...Here is how to get YOUR drum kit to play Modern Country:

1. Get a computer (small laptop best for this application).

This is 'Merica. Go big or go home. I grabbed my old Tandy computer out, cassette drive and all. It's a beast! Laptop..smh.

Quote:
2. Load some type beat generation software (Fruity Loops might be a good choice. I'm not "up" on what might be current - that might make a good thread, though...)

To each his/her own, but I prefer "Grape Nuts" to those "Fruit Loops." This is country music. I want the grit, NOT the sugar of pop music. I also went with whole milk. You didn't specify that part.

In, I believe, an unrelated incident, the computer seem to catch fire around the same time as I poured the milk on. No worries. The milk put the fire out. wink

Quote:
3. Experiment creating beats.

Three of my kids have those headphones. I took all three apart trying to duplicate what they did; but no luck. All of my experiments resulted in NO beats at all.

Also, where do you get these "beats" headphones? I have to replace the three sets before they get home from school. What are they, like $10 for the big (sudio)pair, and $5 for the little ones?

Never mind, I ask my wife to pick them up. She's been getting on me for getting spending so much on equipment. If SHE buys them, she can't say anything to me about it. Rock solid plan!

Quote:
A thick synth bass.

It's Wisconsin, so I went ice fishing for the bass. I got 5 smaller "keepers" to make up for not getting a thick one.
("Is this guy really doing bass/bass jokes now?"--Jim Gaffigan's "inner voice")

Quote:
A snappy hand clap sound.

I was confused at first. Then in my experiments I noticed when I snap my fingers, one finger is mostly responsible for making the sound as it hits the palm of my hand. It's NOT made by my initial two fingers sliding against each other as I initially thought. The strike of that finger is essentially a micro clap being done with one hand via the snap. Impressive! I learned something there.

Quote:
A shaker.

The sugar shaker has been done to death years ago, so I went with pepper?

Note to self, put tape over the end to plug the holes next time. 15 minutes into the project and I can't stop sneezing. shocked

Quote:
4. Once you find a groove similar to "new country"...
.... set the laptop on top of your snare.

I don't understand the point in putting my computer on my fish cleaning station?

I've reviewed my steps several times; and truly feel I am spot on. The ONLY thing I can figure is using whole milk. There is nothing else that it could be. I'm methodical to a flaw.

Quote:
smile

crazy

Thanks FJ! smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

(snip) 4. Once you find a groove similar to "new country"...
.... set the laptop on top of your snare. smile

FUNNY ... but, oh so true!

I don't "get it"?????

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
There is only one reason a lot of country sounds the same and that reason is that it sells! Money is being made. This is no different than previous generations of music, regardless of the genre.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
My mom (86 years old) says all rock music sounds the same - loud.

When I was a teenager, I would be listening to music in my room, even at a very low level. My mom would come into my room, realize the music was on, and say "it's too loud, I can hear it". smile

Of course, she loved orchestral music, even though sometimes it was louder than rock music (when experienced live).

That's generational.

But a lot of the pop music I hear sounds very similar; alt-rock sounds very similar; rap (even though it has changed over the years) sounds very similar at any moment in time. That's why I enjoy exploring places like SoundCloud to find music that doesn't fit the mainstream mentality.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Mario and jford, I agree. However, something people don't mention is it depends on your interest level in the subject at hand.

If you ask people into country music if it all sounds the same, they will typically say "similar, but each song is different." They can and do differentiate among songs. That's any genre. We all know people who think all jazz, or classical, prog rock, whatever...sounds the same.

It's not just music either. I know people that say statements like "pizza is pizza." Others VERY much have opinions on each company's take on a pie wink

I've even seen people think that of this very forum. Are all of the songs here the same "generated by some computer" type of music? I sure don't think so. But then again, I am listening! smile

That's just people in my book.

Songwriting
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Thanks for sharing. I think too many problems are being caused by people who write to expect something and themselves are unable to produce randomness when thinking through the musical exchange. For example I hate country, I am working with 900 classical pieces that came from PG Pianist which I don't know why they pulled it off the market. I personally have been exposed to many musical atmospheres I wouldn't have recognized that have taught me treatments for several kinds of patience's I don't know how to explain it yet. But I discovered I can represent up to 1000 numbers by using 30 numbers. If songwriters would start to share there styles of creating randomness it might shift rhythmical weight to other horizons. The other terrible truth is I think shows like the voice participate in this keeping traditions alive rather than an innovation style. Like trying to explain coming from Tarthiang Talku Time Space and Knowledge which is a series of exercises I found to improve the analysis for trying to make music. I am trying to write science arrangements over top 40 hits using math and science words. So I am at odds with religion which again stifles bringing in new terms and turns of thinking.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: methodman
Thanks for sharing. I think too many problems are being caused by people who write to expect something and themselves are unable to produce randomness when thinking through the musical exchange. For example I hate country, I am working with 900 classical pieces that came from PG Pianist which I don't know why they pulled it off the market. I personally have been exposed to many musical atmospheres I wouldn't have recognized that have taught me treatments for several kinds of patience's I don't know how to explain it yet. But I discovered I can represent up to 1000 numbers by using 30 numbers. If songwriters would start to share there styles of creating randomness it might shift rhythmical weight to other horizons. The other terrible truth is I think shows like the voice participate in this keeping traditions alive rather than an innovation style. Like trying to explain coming from Tarthiang Talku Time Space and Knowledge which is a series of exercises I found to improve the analysis for trying to make music. I am trying to write science arrangements over top 40 hits using math and science words. So I am at odds with religion which again stifles bringing in new terms and turns of thinking.

What he said.

Regards,

Bob

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

you

crack

me

up

(and this ain't the first time)

Kenny

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

What he said.

Regards,

Bob

But I don't know what he said confused Does it go to 11? That's really all I need to know.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
LOL!

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

But I don't know what he said confused Does it go to 11? That's really all I need to know.

Now that's funny!

Great movie, wasn't it!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Themes run in trends, too. Today, at least half of the rotation has to do with casual or impulsive intimacy, many suggesting that alcohol br put into play. This must drive fathers crazy. If you think about it, and I try not to, it is about the young men challenging the fathers' territories, always a popular subject.
One mentions Jack Daniels. I wonder, does JD pay for that mention?

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
What I am saying is that science and evolution use a completely non-1 syllable word vocabulary most songs use words with one syllable so I many times have searched for a 1 syllable word to replace a big science words but many science and math words don't have one syllable equivalents.
The other part is Listening gives reasons why and how ridges can be created to hold rhythm. Too many people just borrow all the time instead of playing around with more than just different camera orchestration than pan to this camera, I don't know I keep getting more creative and I kind of process with certain expectations. I do have a disability too so that may make me harder to understand because words explain concepts and I keep adding them and building deeper relationships to things. Now actually concentrating to personalize musical setups that I am weak in. But I still designate time to try to score parts 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or so. I hope this clears things up. I kinow the process but my concentration up until now has not let me do it. like inserting bars between all the staves and substituting in alternative parts Punching in zones. I haven't yet got the concentration for it but I understand what the complete work up looks like. I really am trying to be more than a dabbler.

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Don't worry about the staves - you might be better off without em. Keep it real. That's all you gotta do.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199