Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi All,
I wish to start on my 6/8 style song. But I have a little problem finding a drum beat that would suit the chorusus.
To get a 6/8 feel, I understand I must use a 3/4 style and use 2 bars instead of one??( 2x 3/4 6/8)

I have found a few 3/4 time styles at 140 BPM which will be OK and useable for the feel I am after, but for the chorusus I need an extra beat or a something that sounds faster in the rythymn if thats the right terminology, somehwere in the drums.Otherwise my choruses wont be much different from the verse.

How would one go about making this extra beat? what would a drummer do in this scenario? more hits on a snare?
Has anyone added exra beats with midi to make this work?
I hope someone understands what I'm looking for and can point me in the right direction.
Many Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Paul

https://soundcloud.com/yorkshireknight
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e8SXLwMaA00HcN0RaEqEA

BIAB/Realband Ultra plus Pak.2017(3)Intel i7,16GB Ram, 250 GB SSD,2TB HD. Mixcraft 7,Line6 ux2, axiom 49,NT1 mic
Veteran
Veteran
First, have you tried the A/B styles and variations for the ones you have (assuming you are using RealDrums)?
If they are MIDI (instead of RealDrums) adding drums should be pretty easy.

Also, sometimes there are raw samples of the drums at the end of the WMA file that can be used/added to the existing beats.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RDVariations.jpg (180 KB, 123 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for that info RHRV.

I have delved a little more into the drum beats and what you suggested with the variations will work.
I see that when you choose one from the Real Drums illustration you show above it is added to the blue or green (a or b style)in the chords section.

I find that when I then go into RB I put in another couple of drum tracks or other instruments and then have to chop/cut and edit with many styles to get near to the feel I am after, Is this usual for putting your tracks together? I dont see another way but its no problem, just takes a little time to do but as your statement says. ''Make the sound your own''

Thank agin
Paul

BIAB/Realband Ultra plus Pak.2017(3)Intel i7,16GB Ram, 250 GB SSD,2TB HD. Mixcraft 7,Line6 ux2, axiom 49,NT1 mic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I slice/dice quite a bit too.
The Multiriff function is handy for this as it generates 8 variations of RTs at once to pick and choose from.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Slicing/Dicing, i.e., "comping" is the key IMO to getting RT's and RD's to fit "your" song. All of our productions contain tracks that are comped from multiple regenerations. Do folks notice? Dunno. But I enjoy doing it and attempting to get everything from solos to rhythm tracks to support Janice's vocal. FWIW, etc.,

Bud

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Is there a song in 6/8 that you want to emulate? If you can import an audio file into some DAWs, you can overlay a MIDI grid on top of the audio and drop in midi where you hear the extra stuff that your drum track might not have in it. Of course the first step is matching the tempo of the project with the tempo of the audio file.

I would be careful making 6/8 too active, however. You might just need to swing it a little, if there's no swing in the beat.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Rockstar...........not!

Thank you for giving an idea to try, because I'm at a loss at the moment and going around in circles changing, cutting slicing dicing styling..............not to mention the odd cursing!

I didn't purposely set out to write a song in 6/8, it was only now when I am trying to put together a beat to my lyrics and melody that I realise it is 6/8 time.

The song is fairly folky when I sang it but it could be hard rock too.

Can you imagine a soldier in days gone by with red coats and the drummer boy beating on the snare going into battle, well thats the sort of image the song conjures up BUT I have tried nearly every pattern in BIAB and nothing matches, if I find a beat near the guitars are off etc etc.
3/4 just don't swing it for my song...............so

I have today, downloaded the free version of MT drums and just in the middle of experimenting with it in my Mixcraft DAW.

There are quite a few 6/8 versions plus fills. I have noticed that the 3/4 time in BIAB is now twice as quick as the MT drums. For example the 3/4 style I used in BIAB is 140BPM but if I wish to use the MT drums over the song it has to be 70BPM .
I have only listened to it once but it seemed a little out of sync, but maybe it needs a tweek.

Before I go and spend another 3 days trying various styles has anyone come across the problem and would I be on the right course for finding a workaround to solve my little problem.

My other problem is of course I cant fingerpick the guitar well enough to give the groove I want so I must rely on my 'Band in a box' to do its best.

I have jumped from folk to country to hard rock to celtic, I can't shelf the song because I told my wife I had written it for her so I must continue.

Paul

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight

I didn't purposely set out to write a song in 6/8, it was only now when I am trying to put together a beat to my lyrics and melody that I realise it is 6/8 time.

Can you imagine a soldier in days gone by with red coats and the drummer boy beating on the snare going into battle, well thats the sort of image the song conjures up BUT I have tried nearly every pattern in BIAB and nothing matches, if I find a beat near the guitars are off etc etc.
3/4 just don't swing it for my song...............so

There are quite a few 6/8 versions plus fills. I have noticed that the 3/4 time in BIAB is now twice as quick as the MT drums. For example the 3/4 style I used in BIAB is 140BPM but if I wish to use the MT drums over the song it has to be 70BPM .
I have only listened to it once but it seemed a little out of sync, but maybe it needs a tweek.

Before I go and spend another 3 days trying various styles has anyone come across the problem and would I be on the right course for finding a workaround to solve my little problem.

My other problem is of course I cant fingerpick the guitar well enough to give the groove I want so I must rely on my 'Band in a box' to do its best.

I have jumped from folk to country to hard rock to celtic, I can't shelf the song because I told my wife I had written it for her so I must continue.

Paul

I definitely feel your pain. while BB is an excellent resource, sometimes to get what you want, you have to think and work out of the box (pun intended). Despite there being thousands of styles available in BB, there are certain to be some that they missed. I've tried the very thing you mentioned.... change BB tempo to try to get it to emulate a certain groove. That didn't work. When one or more tracks sounded good, the drums were so far off from the groove it wasn't funny and vice versa.

Since that song wasn't what I considered to be one of my better songs at the time, I just set it aside and let it collect dust.

If you are able to get one of the tracks to work.... maybe by soloing the drums and changing the tempo, export that track to a good DAW. Perhaps you will need to have several different BB projects to get all the tracks you want. Maybe you will need to call on the services of a real musician to play a certain guitar, or bass part, or maybe use a synth and midi to capture that drum track correctly with the right groove.

I mentioned a "good DAW". Having one is crucial to doing things outside of the box. Many DAW's have audio snap features where you can let the DAW snap or sync the audio that might be slightly out of time. Slicing, dicing, and gluing it all back together again is easy in a good DAW.

So... if you can get the groove you need from one or more BB tracks.... export those to a DAW. In the DAW, use a drum synth to get the drum track..... find live musicians to assist on the parts that you're not able to complete in software and see how it turns out.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks GH for understanding my predicament. Having experienced something similar yourself I now know its not all down to my 'newbiness' and I feel reassured that what I am doing, albeit labourious, is kind of on the right track.

The feel for the song has changed many times and that hasn't helped my state of mind, however I imported a few instruments to my DAW again (for the zillionth time) and can now make a clean start with a goal in mind.

You mention a 'Good'DAW, I use Mixcraft 7. After trialing several DAW's this one was more user friendly for me, others were too complicated for my expertise, or lack of!
Putting tracks down and cutting dicing n splicing is OK to do, the mixing and Mastering on the other hand is something I am still working on and trying to get my head around what all these things do, and I'm sure this is the case with every DAW. I must say your recordings are first class GH.

I would love to find a musician to work with me but my Bulgarian language skills leaves a lot to be desired and so unfortunatley I must plod on solo. I did do a couple of numbers with a friend of mine who still lives in the UK a couple of years ago. He is a great guitar player but he is also a very busy man and trying to peice things together 2000 miles apart was not easy for us.

Anyway thank you for your reply to the post. It has certainly reassured me that I am not alone in this scenario, but with a little thinking 'outside the box', somethings are still acheivable.

Cheers

Paul

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Yorkshireknight

You mention a 'Good'DAW, I use Mixcraft 7. After trialing several DAW's this one was more user friendly for me,

I would love to find a musician to work with me but my Bulgarian language skills leaves a lot to be desired and so unfortunatley I must plod on solo.

Paul

A good DAW IMHO is any DAW that lets you work easily to accomplish the job. It should support the VST's you use and allow easy use of envelopes for automating the features in the mix.

Ever heard of the internet? I have collaborated with singers, and other musicians literally around the other side of the planet. As long as you both have a DAW and access to the net, you can work. For example, if you simply need a guitar solo in a song, you ask the guitarist to send you a full track starting at the first measure.... it can be silence up to the solo. That makes track alignment simple. I have had people send me just the clipped part they were playing and that is a PITA to line up 100% accurately.

Yep...sometimes BB forces me to have to think creatively to get things done or in some cases, to fall back to plan B and seek a different route.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/18/17 02:36 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mixcraft is a very capable DAW, complete with notation capability. I am pretty sure you can line up audio tracks over or under midi tracks and help you to add in midi notes where you can see audio cues.

L
L
I worked with Mixcraft for almost two years before migrating to Studio One.
In fact it was Mixcraft that helped me actually get comfortable with the "Language" of mix engineers and helped me get my head wrapped around a lot of technical stuff that just plain confused me at first. Anyone new to In The Box mixing (and uses Windows of course) I would recommend Mixcraft to.
I looked into other DAW's like Reaper, but for me Reaper was way too over the top. Linda & I are a songwriting team, so often times she would write lyrics, and I'd have an instant idea of the arrangement. Reaper by it's very nature kills that instant spark thing as it requires a lot of pre recording set up. DAW's like MC and Studio One allow for nearly instant tracking when the spark of creativity occurs. So it was almost a natural migration from MC to S1.
In my opinion only, S1 takes the best part of MC and Pro Tools and found a way to make them converge.
When you add Band in A Box and Real Band to the forumula you almost have a total studio environment with top flight studio session players waiting in the room to record your music. Can't see anything but "up" from this amazing combination of software. Almost like they are married.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi guys, thank you for that information very interesting what you say.I shall take a peep at Studio 1
All the Best
Paul

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LinMar

I looked into other DAW's like Reaper, but for me Reaper was way too over the top. Linda & I are a songwriting team, so often times she would write lyrics, and I'd have an instant idea of the arrangement. Reaper by it's very nature kills that instant spark thing as it requires a lot of pre recording set up.

All you needed to do was set up a template ...essentially you set up a project to record and you do it one time. Add the synths you like and get it ready to go. Save it as a BLANK TEMPLATE and when you get ready to start a new project you simply load it and waaa laaa,,, it's ready to go in seconds.

No setup time required when the muse hits.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,035
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186